Enchantment - To drink package, or not to drink package...

Here I am 13 days til we set sail, I've been researching since NOV 2014 and I STILL can't decide whether or not to purchase a drink package. Ugh.. This is so frustrating. The cost is ridiculous, but I'm afraid to NOT purchase and incur a huge fee leaving the ship. I figure if I get just two frozen drinks at $12 each, that's already $24 bucks. If I have two a day for four days, that $100. I can try to "smuggle" on liquor but I don't want to have to be doing anything "clandestine" on my vacation. I just don't know which option to choose. What's everyone else's take on purchasing?

I know, Brandywine, I'm doing the same thing. I'm not a huge drinker, but if I'm on a vacation where I'm not driving and I don't have to keep an eye on my kids (like the one that's coming up!) I'll definitely drink more!

If I got the Premium package, I'd drink probably 2 or 3 frozen cocktails by the pool/day, a glass of wine every night at dinner, 2 or 3 bottles of water a day, and maybe a cocktail after dinner. I might use the soda cup for breakfast if there was cranberry juice, I'm not a soda drinker. I like iced tea and lemonade, and those are free. By my calculations, I think I might break even.

jenny

It's a lot of money. Unless you're going to drink 15 cocktails or whatever a day, it's not worth it. Also, the drinks have a value limit, and I've heard they often are out of the items in the drink package, hoping they can upsell you to something else.

Don't they still have free drinks at the Captain's Welcome Ashore party? Also, they have free samples in the stores on the first night. They are good, but very tiny servings. If you're a returning passenger, they also serve alcohol at the Welcome Back Reception.

It's a lot of money. Unless you're going to drink 15 cocktails or whatever a day, it's not worth it. Also, the drinks have a value limit, and I've heard they often are out of the items in the drink package, hoping they can upsell you to something else.

Don't they still have free drinks at the Captain's Welcome Ashore party? Also, they have free samples in the stores on the first night. They are good, but very tiny servings. If you're a returning passenger, they also serve alcohol at the Welcome Back Reception.

The break even is more like 5 or 6 drinks per day.

I never experienced the upsell or heard of that.

Just got off the three day Enchantment...Get the drink package. It was worth every penny. A few drinks by the pool, soda by the buckets, bottled water, never was turned away, any value, always had what I wanted, no time limit, drinks with dinner, drinks in the club.

I've smuggled before, too much hassle for me.

Don't where you got your info but break even is about 5-6 drinks a day.

There isn't much on the menu above the drink limit price. We had 1 drink the whole cruise that wasn't covered by the drink package and that was a 44$ glass of sake at Izumi.

And, how are they going to run out? You order exactly the same thing as the rest of the passengers without packages! No upselling needed!m

Personally if given a choice I will never cruise without a drink package again. The stress relief of not worrying about my bar tab at the end of the cruise was worth it for me!

Edited by readytolose

15 cocktails a day? That's a heck of an exaggeration. I believe it's 6-7 depending on what you drink.

Would you care to explain what items in the drink package they're often out of? And what are they supposedly upselling? Your statements are absurd and make no sense at all.

Do you like to try new drinks? On port days, are you doing excursions so you would be off the ship for a good part of the time in port or more time on the ship? 5-6 drinks a day really isn't much, especially if you drink soda, coffee, water bottles either on the ship or when going to ports, a couple of drinks by the pool in the afternoon, wine with dinner, a drink or two throughout the evening and you have gotten your money's worth. I have looked at the packages several times and go back and forth but I would love to have more drinks by the pool and if I don't like something, I can get something else! If you are going to one of Royal's private islands, those drinks are included.

.. This is so frustrating. The cost is ridiculous, but I'm afraid to NOT purchase and incur a huge fee leaving the ship. I figure if I get just two frozen drinks at $12 each, that's already $24 bucks. If I have two a day for four days, that $100. I can try to "smuggle" on liquor but I don't want to have to be doing anything "clandestine" on my vacation. I just don't know which option to choose. What's everyone else's take on purchasing?

Here's my dilemma. You are so close now, I couldn't see you having this problem. Sailing on the 21st. Made my res. in June. Got the premium package (in June). Turned out to be a good buy because in meantime prices have risen (gone down but now adding tip). Went to Dr. last week and she put limits on drinking. Don't think I want to cancel bev. pcg. because since June my credit card has been cancelled and reissued anew because I used it at H***D****. RCL issues credit only to credit card on which it was charged. I've read of that bureaucratic nightmare on here before with similar circumstances. Something to think about.

Carolyn

.. This is so frustrating. The cost is ridiculous, but I'm afraid to NOT purchase and incur a huge fee leaving the ship. I figure if I get just two frozen drinks at $12 each, that's already $24 bucks. If I have two a day for four days, that $100. I can try to "smuggle" on liquor but I don't want to have to be doing anything "clandestine" on my vacation. I just don't know which option to choose. What's everyone else's take on purchasing?

Here's my dilemma. You are so close now, I couldn't see you having this problem. Sailing on the 21st. Made my res. in June. Got the premium package (in June). Turned out to be a good buy because in meantime prices have risen (gone down but now adding tip). Went to Dr. last week and she put limits on drinking. Don't think I want to cancel bev. pcg. because since June my credit card has been cancelled and reissued anew because I used it at H***D****. RCL issues credit only to credit card on which it was charged. I've read of that bureaucratic nightmare on here before with similar circumstances. Something to think about.

Carolyn

Something to think about...? trying to figure out what youre trying to say! So youre pro or con the package?

I know, Brandywine, I'm doing the same thing. I'm not a huge drinker, but if I'm on a vacation where I'm not driving and I don't have to keep an eye on my kids (like the one that's coming up!) I'll definitely drink more!

If I got the Premium package, I'd drink probably 2 or 3 frozen cocktails by the pool/day, a glass of wine every night at dinner, 2 or 3 bottles of water a day, and maybe a cocktail after dinner. I might use the soda cup for breakfast if there was cranberry juice, I'm not a soda drinker. I like iced tea and lemonade, and those are free. By my calculations, I think I might break even.

jenny

Exactly. I wish I could get/use the package by day, as we'll be out at port most the day on Thursday. Ugh. Thanks everyone! Ill figure it out. I heard there maybe a discount if you purchase drink package when you board instead of before hand. True?

Exactly. I wish I could get/use the package by day, as we'll be out at port most the day on Thursday. Ugh. Thanks everyone! Ill figure it out. I heard there maybe a discount if you purchase drink package when you board instead of before hand. True?

I don't think it's cheaper to get on on board but you don't have to get it on the first day or even second day if you have a 7 night cruise, so that makes it cheaper. Even on the long port day, there is still dinner and the evening. Keep in mind, it isn't just alcoholic drinks.....soda, fresh squeezed oj with breakfast, water bottles to take with you off the ship, non alcoholic frozen drinks are all included in the package. Although these are cheaper than alcholic drinks, 3-5 of these a day along with alcohol will easily be worth the money, even with a long port day. I also love the idea of trying a few new drinks a day and seeing what I might love and having a couple of frozen drinks by the pool sounds like heaven!

No discount if purchased onboard, same price either way.

If you're on the fence, why not wait till you're onboard, and check out drink prices, inclusions, etc and compare. You can also wait a day or two, then compare pay-as-you-go costs against drink k package cost. If you're drinking less than a package costs, then don't buy one. If you're costs are over what a package costs, then buy it for the remainder of day. It is prorated for remaining days. You cacan purchase at any point up till last 4 nights.

No discount if purchased onboard, same price either way.

If you're on the fence, why not wait till you're onboard, and check out drink prices, inclusions, etc and compare. You can also wait a day or two, then compare pay-as-you-go costs against drink k package cost. If you're drinking less than a package costs, then don't buy one. If you're costs are over what a package costs, then buy it for the remainder of day. It is prorated for remaining days. You cacan purchase at any point up till last 4 nights.

It's only a 4 night cruise

Carolyn

If you want to cancel, do it at Guest Services before you purchase any drinks. They'll credit your Seapass account.

It's only a 4 night cruise

Exactly. Cant prorate it for a four dayer. Heck the drink package costs almost what we paid for the cruise! And we are in a balcony suite! Shameful. Oh well, YOLO. Its our first cruise, Ill spring for the package... And now Im climbing down off the fence...carefully, lol.

Are the drinks with alcohol watered down on the Enchantment. My last cruise was a Carnival cruise and I was not impressed with the drinks. I don't want to get a package and the drinks are not good.

We did not experience watered down drinks on our Enchantment cruises this past October.

15 a day? That comes to less than $4 per drink including gratuity. I wish that were true.

I loved having the ultimate package. One or two $5.75 specialty coffees in the morning, a handful of beers and frozen drinks around the pool, some wine at Vintages and 5+ bottles of water throughout the day would really add up quickly. Granted, I'm a drinker, but I thought it was 100% worth it.. You know the cost going in and no surprise bills. There's very little available priced over the $12. Even if I didn't quite break even, I knew the cost and wasn't tallying my tab in my head with every drink ordered. If the cost of the package was a deal breaker on our next cruise, I doubt we would go.

We are on Enchantment in two weeks (yay!) and I'm curious .. If I get the drinks package, can I use it at while on Coco Cay? (assuming we are actually able to get off there!) ?

Yes, you can use the package at Coco Cay.

I loved having the ultimate package. One or two $5.75 specialty coffees in the morning, a handful of beers and frozen drinks around the pool, some wine at Vintages and 5+ bottles of water throughout the day would really add up quickly. Granted, I'm a drinker, but I thought it was 100% worth it.. You know the cost going in and no surprise bills. There's very little available priced over the $12. Even if I didn't quite break even, I knew the cost and wasn't tallying my tab in my head with every drink ordered. If the cost of the package was a deal breaker on our next cruise, I doubt we would go.

I actually agree with what you are saying. My husband is a drinker - and not just alcohol, he drinks tons of water, iced tea and sometimes soda all day. I know it would be foolish not to get the package because as you say, I don't want to be tallying my drink tab in my head and worrying about a huge bill at the end of the trip. It's our anniversary, I just want to enjoy it, drink what and when I want, and chill. I hope we DO get to dock at CoCo Cay, I know we can use our package there as well. Thanks.

I got the premium drink package on Enchantment and was glad I did. As a first time cruiser I just didn't want to take the chance. I'm not a coffee drinker so I get my morning fix with a soda. Then a few drinks during the day, couple glasses of wine at dinner, and a nightcap on our balcony and I never had to worry about money. Plus we stocked up on bottles of water. Keep in mind that you can use the drink package on CocoCay so you don't "lose" a day with that stop. I probably won't get the package on our upcoming cruise because it's so port intensive, but if I sail Enchantment again I'll definitely purchase it.

Edited by SMN73