Brilliance 5 day Keys or G.Cayman?

Tif1171

I'm thinking of doing a 5 day on Brilliance out of Tampa in April. Which itinerary is better: Keys and Cozumel or Grand Cayman and Cozumel? I'm thinking in April, Grand Cayman would be warmer. We just like beach, book and drink in hand (and sometimes renting a waverunner). We've done the 4 Day Radiance in April before but that only went to Coz.

I could go either way. I love KW - it's one of my favorite destinations to just wander. I also prefer it there when it's not super warm. I also think it's the best port (that I've been to) to get of the boat and walk around with no need for a cab or an excursion to get somewhere "worth being"

At the same time, I haven't been to GC yet and I'm a diver - so two reasons for me to go there instead.

tough call

We like both KW and Cozumel. KW is a fun place to visit. You can walk around the port and town area and have a good time. It is not a beach destination.

Grand Cayman has a beautiful beach area [7 mile beach] and is good for swimming with the dolphins, etc.

One thing I do not like about GC is you have to tender and there can be LOTS of ship in port. the last time we were there 7 ships were in port. Does your ship arrive early [7-9 am]? If so that is OK. The last 2 times were were there we arrived at 10:30 am and left at 5. Everyone wanted to get off at the same time. Ship tours get to go first and some have priority tendering. We did not get off last time until 12:45 and had to be back on the ship by 4:30. . . so check your port times. YMMV

KW and GC are my 2 favorite ports. I'll be on Brilliance stopping at KW in a few weeks. If you want a beach, then definitely GC. You can just hop on a bus (minivan) and go to 7 mile beach. We chose KW so we can just walk around and go to the bars. Have fun whichever you choose!

I'm thinking of doing a 5 day on Brilliance out of Tampa in April. Which itinerary is better: Keys and Cozumel or Grand Cayman and Cozumel? I'm thinking in April, Grand Cayman would be warmer. We just like beach, book and drink in hand (and sometimes renting a waverunner). We've done the 4 Day Radiance in April before but that only went to Coz.

I'll echo what most others have said... Definitely Grand Cayman if you want the beach. Despite it's location, Key West doesn't have many good beach options to choose from. Seven Mile Beach in GC is perfect for relaxing with a book, some snorkeling, and a few drinks.

If you're looking to visit both of those ports and you're not locked into sailing out of Tampa, another option may be the 5-day out of Fort Lauderdale. We did that last September on the Vision, and it stopped in both Key West and Grand Cayman. Not sure if that route is available year round.

Whatever you choose... enjoy!

Edited by TheInnocentAge

Another vote here for Grand Cayman, especially if the goal is a beach. Miles and miles of beaches to choose from there. The Keys have some beaches that are great, but not really feasible if you're stopping there on a cruise. They're several miles back towards the mainland.

If you want beach and a book then you don't want Key West.

Key west isn't a beach. It's Tshirt shops and bars.

For what you say you want, it's Grand Caymen.

We LOVE KW and have visited there most every year for the past 11-12 years on non-cruise vacations. That said, as noted above if a beach is a priority don't go to KW. As for the weather, April in KW should be plenty warm if you choose to go there.

BTW - Key West is much more than T-shirt shops and bars............................. the poster above has missed out on a lot. :(

Edited by bouhunter

Yes, if you want a beach day then KW is not your choice. But KW is much more than t-shirt shops and bars (though there are plenty of those). Conch train or trolley tour of the island, art galleries, shipwreck museum, Mel Fisher's musuem, Hemingway House, Truman's Little White House, Aquarium, sponge market, amazing restaurants, live music, drag shows and so much more. Everything is in walking distance or take a pedi-cab for a short ride.

You can't go wrong spending a day in KW except that you won't be able to do it all and will want to go back.

Yes, if you want a beach day then KW is not your choice. But KW is much more than t-shirt shops and bars (though there are plenty of those). Conch train or trolley tour of the island, art galleries, shipwreck museum, Mel Fisher's musuem, Hemingway House, Truman's Little White House, Aquarium, sponge market, amazing restaurants, live music, drag shows and so much more. Everything is in walking distance or take a pedi-cab for a short ride.

You can't go wrong spending a day in KW except that you won't be able to do it all and will want to go back.

Ditto!!!

Restaurants and bars? Boy...where do I start. There are so many good ones.

Casual lunch - Fogarty's or Half Shell Raw Bar (both have outdoor seating)

Upscale dining with outdoor seating and casual atmosphere - Blue Heaven or Mangoes

Seafood - Conch Republic Seafood Co.

Cuban - El Meson de Pepe

Ice Cream - Flamingo Crossing

Bars - Schooner Wharf, Sloppy Joe's, Captain Tony's Saloon, Irish Kevins

These are a few of my favorites. There are so many more that I could recommend.

Have a great trip.