Tipping the cabin steward

What is the norm for tipping the Cabin Steward for a 12 night cruise ?

The norm is the amount that RCI stipulates in their gratuity policy. They will take that in prepaid gratuities or on a daily basis from your sea pass account while at sea.

The cabin steward gets his/her fair share of this amount. If he or she does an outstanding job in caring for you and yours you may give an extra amount as you see fit.

I think it is about $3.75 to $5 per person, per day. I don't look anymore...

I don't either. It's none of my business what someone else gets paid.

The gratuity amount which is added to your account or charged to you for pre-paid tips is $12.00 per passenger, per day in the cabin (more for a full suite). You are looking at $144.00 for each passenger in your party.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

I don't either. It's none of my business what someone else gets paid.

The gratuity amount which is added to your account or charged to you for pre-paid tips is $12.00 per passenger, per day in the cabin (more for a full suite). You are looking at $144.00 for each passenger in your party.

I think OP wanted to know so that he knew how much he should give the steward, not because he actually cares how much they get paid. It's hard to know what to tip precisely because we don't know what they get paid...at least before when they gave us a breakdown, we had an idea of what was considered appropriate to give each person.

It's hard to know what to tip precisely because we don't know what they get paid...at least before when they gave us a breakdown, we had an idea of what was considered appropriate to give each person.

But you don't have to give each person something - that's the idea behind the auto-tip or pre-paid tips. It's done, you don't have to think about it, worry about it - done.

A standard tip is included and you will be charged for it, If service was excellent you might want to tip extra at the end of the week, the amount is totally up to you, our cabin steward was great on last cruise so we left a nice tip. Same goes with waiters and bartenders tip is included but you can give a little extra

We always give extra to our room steward, waiter and assist waiter. Our upcoming cruise we switched to MTD so gratuities are built into our cruise price, but will probably tip extra.

We had MTD on the Jewel of the Seas with prepaid gratuities but our room steward and waiter did such a wonderful job, we gave them a tip on the last day. You should have seen the smiles, it was worth it. :cool:

If you think it's worth it to see their smiles at the end of the cruise, try giving them a $20 the first time they introduce themselves to you.

You'll get service you thought didn't exist for the rest of the cruise. I promise. :)

Everybody waits til the end to see if their steward went above and beyond. Mine goes above and beyond every day because they know I appreciate their hard work from minute one.

Maybe OP is asking if the "norm" is to just pay the auto-tip or if the "norm" is to pay more than the auto-tip and how much do you pay above and beyond the auto-tip.

I usually give our Cabin Steward about $10 above the auto-tip and the waiter and asst waiter $10 each above, in cash and I just hand it to them.

Wr had excellent service from our Cabin Steward.My wife suggested we give him a tip beyond that which is prepaid.I wanted to give him a much larger amount .I was just wondering what the correct amount should have been. Hypothetically let us say I gave him morethan we decided on and I want to determine if I over tipped.

Wr had excellent service from our Cabin Steward.My wife suggested we give him a tip beyond that which is prepaid.I wanted to give him a much larger amount .I was just wondering what the correct amount should have been. Hypothetically let us say I gave him morethan we decided on and I want to determine if I over tipped.

This is strictly my opinion, but the right amount is what YOU (and your wife) feel is appropriate for the level of service you received. There's no such thing as the "right" or "wrong" amount, or over tipping.

Plus, we can't even make that judgment call unless you let us know what you wanted to tip, what she wanted to tip, and what you actually ended up tipping.

Edited by TomAceEsq

I do not think there is a correct amount

Well you didn't say that at first, hence the various replies in this thread. ;)

We gave our room steward an extra $60. He seemed very happy. We gave our servers at the specialty restaurants $20 per night and the one night we ate in the dining room we tipped $20 and told the server to spit with her assistant. I doubt she did though. That was my fault though because I forgot to grab more cash when we left the room for dinner. We tip $ 1-2 per drink and we had one bar tender that we gave an extra $20 on two consecutive nights. He really made our cruise and we enjoyed talking to him nightly and hopefully we will get to sail on Allure again so we can see him again.

I think every one is different so no $ is the correct amount. I'm in the service industry so I probably tip more than some people, but I know how hard they work and I like to show my appreciation.