Beverages and Beverage Packages FAQ

ailetoile

ailetoile, thanks for your responses and starting this thread. I found out that the prices were for per adult per day - I don't know how I got the impression of that it is for per cruise price. It works out to over C$200 per person per cruise for the classic non-alcoholic beverage package. This pushes me to go a la carte / pay as you go. Outside of the main dining room and the buffet restaurant, I cannot imagine I drink that much ... let alone the premium pricing. So NO drinks package for me.

The classic is not just non alcohol. It includes all beer, wine and spirits up to a certain price point.

The classic is not just non alcohol. It includes all beer, wine and spirits up to a certain price point.

You've mis-read/misunderstood the post. In addition to alcohol drink packages, Celebrity also sells classic and premium non-alcoholic packages. That's what that poster was refering to.

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/cruiseplanner/category/2012/activityType/28

• 3 weeks later...
I actually had to look up what Peroni is. :o I think someone who drinks it will have to chime in to get you an accurate answer.

If they have it (after all its Italian and they don't have the majority of British or European beers), it would be the premium package.

While I have found most of this information on the website and elsewhere on CC, this thread has been very helpful to review all of the information in one place. I'm driving myself a little batty trying to determine the best choice for us. We are going on our first TA this November and without a beverage package included in the cruise fare. We normally buy a wine package for dinners and will have an alcoholic beverage or two during a sea day. With so many sea days we will be more inclined to enjoy more adult beverages. The cold weather will mean fewer bottles of water for us, and we can carry some onboard. We don't drink many sodas. I have a spreadsheet calculating our estimated costs without a package and with the classic and premium packages. I'm stuck on the wine options. Some questions for those who are familiar with the wine options on board.

• We are on a 15 day cruise. It is my understanding that we will pay for 14 days if we purchase a beverage package the morning of the first sea day. Is that correct?

• If we buy coffee and beverages prior to buying the beverage package later the same day, will the individual beverage purchases made earlier in the day be removed?

• Are the prices for the wine purchased as a gift prior to sailing comparable to wine purchased through one of the wine packages?

• Are the bottled wine options in the $50 - $70 range enough to make the 20% discount included with the premium beverage package preferable to the discount with a wine package that has a limited number of wines included?

I know I am likely way overthinking, dh can assure you I am :-) The $220 difference between purchasing a beverage package and our estimated a la carte purchases is enough to make me look at this again. Just about the time I think I have this sorted out, I read more and begin second guessing. All opinions are welcomed. :-)

• If we buy coffee and beverages prior to buying the beverage package later the same day, will the individual beverage purchases made earlier in the day be removed?

No. Purchases made under a package are entered at zero price. Purchases made without a package are charged and the charges are not reversed if you purchase a package.

I know I am likely way overthinking, dh can assure you I am :-) The $220 difference between purchasing a beverage package and our estimated a la carte purchases is enough to make me look at this again. Just about the time I think I have this sorted out, I read more and begin second guessing. All opinions are welcomed. :-)

Jenny, IMHO, you are thinking most wonderfully!:D

It will all depend on just how 'adventurist' you want to be while on your sea days.

The better wines will run $8-$14 a glass.

The craft beers run $7-$35 each.

And then you have the wonderful Martini Bar, and the new World Bar where things run up to $18 each.

Here is my "RUFF" run down of a day with a drink pkg on another thread

For us at least, the package was not just about drinks that would make us not remember the cruise! It was everything else that the pkg includes.

A specialty coffee each on the balcony while the wifester is putting on her face, $5 ea.

Evian or San Pellegrino with fresh squeezed juice with that second coffee at breakfast, $15 ea.

Grab a bottle water on the way to stake out a deck chair, $4 ea.

$24 each before any mind altering liquid is consumed.

A beer or the drink of the day by the pool, $6 ea

Then off to lunch, maybe a soda, or another San Pellegrino $5 ea

The sun is hot hot hot! A cold beer or drink of the day is in order, $6 ea

The burger at the Mast Grill is calling our names, it does not go down with out some liquid assistance, $5 ea, then it is time to meet friends to watch the sun set from the Sunset Bar, $6 ea. Afternoon total $28.

And the evening fun has yet to begin.

San Pellegrino and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and another speciality coffee with desert, $26 ea

Now it is time for some mind altering sampling to happen, or not A cocktail with friends at one of the watering holes on ship $7 ea, or 2 if we are letting our hair down!

One more bottle water on the way back to the cabin just in case we get thirsty during the night, $4. Evening total, $44.

Morning, $24, day, $28, evening $44, total $96.00 each using the low end of the cost scale and not much mind altering substance.

Some evening's we will grab another coffee ( or worse) and go and sit on deck 5 to unwind, listen to the swoosh of the waves gently breaking down the side of the ship before heading to the cabin.

Depends on how you make use of the package.

We have upgraded to the Premium on our last 2 cruises. Our friends stayed with the Classic and were fine. I like the Craft beer selection, the wine the wifester drank last yr was $14.00 a glass x 3 @ dinner = $42.00 without a pkg every dinner.

Hope I haven't really added to your :confused:

EW

Jenny, IMHO, you are thinking most wonderfully!:D

It will all depend on just how 'adventurist' you want to be while on your sea days.

The better wines will run $8-$14 a glass.

The craft beers run $7-$35 each.

And then you have the wonderful Martini Bar, and the new World Bar where things run up to $18 each.

Here is my "RUFF" run down of a day with a drink pkg on another thread

For us at least, the package was not just about drinks that would make us not remember the cruise! It was everything else that the pkg includes.

A specialty coffee each on the balcony while the wifester is putting on her face, $5 ea.

Evian or San Pellegrino with fresh squeezed juice with that second coffee at breakfast, $15 ea.

Grab a bottle water on the way to stake out a deck chair, $4 ea.

$24 each before any mind altering liquid is consumed.

A beer or the drink of the day by the pool, $6 ea

Then off to lunch, maybe a soda, or another San Pellegrino $5 ea

The sun is hot hot hot! A cold beer or drink of the day is in order, $6 ea

The burger at the Mast Grill is calling our names, it does not go down with out some liquid assistance, $5 ea, then it is time to meet friends to watch the sun set from the Sunset Bar, $6 ea. Afternoon total $28.

And the evening fun has yet to begin.

San Pellegrino and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and another speciality coffee with desert, $26 ea

Now it is time for some mind altering sampling to happen, or not A cocktail with friends at one of the watering holes on ship $7 ea, or 2 if we are letting our hair down!

One more bottle water on the way back to the cabin just in case we get thirsty during the night, $4. Evening total, $44.

Morning, $24, day, $28, evening $44, total $96.00 each using the low end of the cost scale and not much mind altering substance.

Some evening's we will grab another coffee ( or worse) and go and sit on deck 5 to unwind, listen to the swoosh of the waves gently breaking down the side of the ship before heading to the cabin.

Depends on how you make use of the package.

We have upgraded to the Premium on our last 2 cruises. Our friends stayed with the Classic and were fine. I like the Craft beer selection, the wine the wifester drank last yr was $14.00 a glass x 3 @ dinner = $42.00 without a pkg every dinner.

Hope I haven't really added to your :confused:

EW

Thank you for your helpful response. I read your post on the other thread... it was most useful while I put together the spreadsheet :-) The beverage package would be a more obvious choice for us if we were traveling in warm weather. I think we are leaning toward the premium package for one to be purchased before the first cup of coffee on the first sea day. We will see how the day goes to determine if we want a second classic or premium package. Without a second beverage package we may use the 20% discount of the premium package once or twice for bottle of a different wine than is served by the glass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• We are on a 15 day cruise. It is my understanding that we will pay for 14 days if we purchase a beverage package the morning of the first sea day. Is that correct?

This is true

I know you have received a no answer above and in most cases this is true, but IT DEPENDS ON THE SHIP AND ON GUEST SERVICES. If you do decide to go ahead and buy a package later in the day, you can go to guest services to see if they will remove the applicable charges from earlier in the day that would now be covered under the package. There have been mixed reports of this working.

• Are the prices for the wine purchased as a gift prior to sailing comparable to wine purchased through one of the wine packages?

As far as I have been able to determine, they are comparable. Keep in mind, however, that you will not pay the 18% gratuity if you purchase wine as a gift for yourself prior to sailing. Neither will you get the 20% discount for purchasing a bottle of wine while also having a premium package. In other words, if you're planning on the Premium package then it is probably a touch cheaper to wait until you're on board. If you're not planning on the Premium package, then buying in advance is the way to go.

• Are the bottled wine options in the $50 - $70 range enough to make the 20% discount included with the premium beverage package preferable to the discount with a wine package that has a limited number of wines included?

This is something I can't comment on. I am just as happy with cheap wines as I am with expensive ones :)

Just chiming in with the answers that I'm capable of providing based on my own experiences and observations. I'm so glad to see that others are still babysitting this thread, too <3

I can only comment on the last question.

We normally have a bottle of wine with dinner every night on a cruise.

(We don't always finish it but don't like the taste of wine that's been open for a day so we always give what's left either to the waiter or sommelier)

Anyways, I've investigated the wine "packages" and have found that they are of very little advantage unless you only get the nicest bottle in the package every night.

I think the 20% discount would leave you much further ahead.

You may also find, as we have, that if you have the premium package you can find something nice to drink by the glass most nights. (Keep in mind that with that package you can drink ANY wine they offer by the glass and only pay the difference between your $13 limit and what the wine costs.)

That way you can have a nicer bottle for a couple of nights.

So I think you'll come ahead with the beverage package.

(Also keep in mind that Celebrity REALLY marks up their wine! There's a decent (not fabulous, but decent) Malbec that we buy at home for $14.99/bottle that is now I think $10.50/glass or $11.50/ glass on the ship.)

(We don't always finish it but don't like the taste of wine that's been open for a day so we always give what's left either to the waiter or sommelier)

Anyways, I've investigated the wine "packages" and have found that they are of very little advantage unless you only get the nicest bottle in the package every night.

You may also find, as we have, that if you have the premium package you can find something nice to drink by the glass most nights. (Keep in mind that with that package you can drink ANY wine they offer by the glass and only pay the difference between your $13 limit and what the wine costs.)

(Also keep in mind that Celebrity REALLY marks up their wine! There's a decent (not fabulous, but decent) Malbec that we buy at home for $14.99/bottle that is now I think $10.50/glass or $11.50/ glass on the ship.)

I agree about the wine package value not being there and instead go with a discount on whatever bottle you like.

I've also had luck just ASKING for a 20% discount when buying a more expensive bottle of wine, even without a coupon or package. Also look to meet any elite passenger with a drink package, as they can give you their 20% off coupon. I always carry my coupon with me and offer it up if anyone at my table buys a bottle.

This is great insight. Thank you for sharing your experience.

I agree about the wine package value not being there and instead go with a discount on whatever bottle you like.

I've also had luck just ASKING for a 20% discount when buying a more expensive bottle of wine, even without a coupon or package. Also look to meet any elite passenger with a drink package, as they can give you their 20% off coupon. I always carry my coupon with me and offer it up if anyone at my table buys a bottle.

I will start making a list of Elite friends.[emoji2] Thank you for the tip

Thanks for all the information. This thread has answered many questions.

We do not have a package included in our rate (we did get a good deal though) so will be buying one from scratch - we are moderate drinkers and big water drinkers -and like premium coffees too. Our temptation is the premium package The other major attraction is that we do not want to be penny watching for the whole cruise.

A few questions:

Why would one wait until boarding to purchase the package?

Are we charged for the disembarkation day? - Due to the time of our flight we are considering staying on board and paying for the privilege.

A few questions:

To make use of any OBC they have

Are we charged for the disembarkation day?

NO, the bars are not open till the first new passengers are allowed to board.

Due to the time of our flight we are considering staying on board and paying for the privilege. Not sure if Celebrity has this option..

We like the Premium pkg for the same reasons you mentioned too.

Have a great cruise.

EW

Thanks for all the information. This thread has answered many questions.

We do not have a package included in our rate (we did get a good deal though) so will be buying one from scratch - we are moderate drinkers and big water drinkers -and like premium coffees too. Our temptation is the premium package The other major attraction is that we do not want to be penny watching for the whole cruise.

A few questions:

Are we charged for the disembarkation day? - Due to the time of our flight we are considering staying on board and paying for the privilege.

I was under the impression that if we purchased prior to the 15 day cruise we would pay for 15 days. If we wait until the day after we sail we pay for one less day and if we wait until we are on board we can use OBC to pay for the beverage package.

Thanks for the information. We were considering not waiting as we don't have any OBC. But don't mind as we are happy with what we paid. I can see the advantage of waiting until day 2 as you don't have a full day on board (and are in Aqua class so get complimentary wine) or indeed wait until day 3 which is a full sea day but does the potential cost saving balance out being a little more relaxed on costs etc. something to weigh up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Pavovsky

SeeJennyCruise, where are you sailing in November that you keep talking about not being warm?

Transatlantic from Southampton to Boston. Low to high 50's F for the average air temperature will be lovely for me, I like a chill, but we won't drink as many frozen drinks :p

SeeJennyCruise, where are you sailing in November that you keep talking about not being warm?

Transatlantic from Southampton to Boston. Low to high 50's F for the average air temperature will be lovely for me, I like a chill, but we won't drink as many frozen drinks :p

I super appreciate all of the responses to beverage-related questions that have been happening in this thread, but I'd like to make a gentle request that we please keep the thread on the topic of beverages. Thank you :)

A few questions:

This has been covered by other responders, but I'd like to add to it:

In addition to waiting until day two and using on board credit to purchase the package, another reason that people might wait is to just get a feel for how much the beverages that they want to drink will be and to see if the package will be a good benefit to them.

You are not charged for disembarkation day (you're charged per night) but you may use the package for specialty coffees on the morning of disembarkation. I know this is true for at least the breakfast buffet area.

I've read through this entire thread, and am very appreciative of the great information. Thanks everyone, especially ailetoile for the great FAQ.

Of course, I do still have a couple of questions. :p I'm trying to decide between the Classic non-alcoholic and the Premium non-alcoholic packages. My first question is, does Celebrity have the flavored San Pellegrino (orange, cranberry-orange, lemon, etc.), or just the plain sparkling water? I don't care for unflavored sparkling water, but love the flavored San Pellegrino, so it would be worth the difference in price just for those if they are available.

Second, I know that the Premium covers non-alcoholic frozen drinks and smoothies, but does it cover other non-alcoholic drinks? I note on the Preismans' menus (another great resource!) that there are several "zero-proof" non-alcoholic drinks available at various bars. Are these included in either of the non-alcoholic packages?

Thanks for any help! My cruise is now just under two weeks away, and I can't wait to be onboard again!