using the computer on the ship question

canadianbear

We have only used the computer once on our cruises and I have forgotten how to use them. I know we signed in but have forgotten if I need a user name and if so forgot that and my password.:o

Can someone refresh my memory: when we buy minutes what is the procedure if we have forgotten our user name/password? I'd like to be able to send e-mails while on our upcoming Panama cruise.

Thank you.

We have only used the computer once on our cruises and I have forgotten how to use them. I know we signed in but have forgotten if I need a user name and if so forgot that and my password.:o

Can someone refresh my memory: when we buy minutes what is the procedure if we have forgotten our user name/password? I'd like to be able to send e-mails while on our upcoming Panama cruise.

Thank you.

You will get new credentials when you connect in . That has been my experience using my laptop or iPad. If you have any problems talk to the computer guy in the computer center.

My experience over several cruises has not required any carry-over from the previous time.

It is very simple. On the first day, you should establish a username and password. On some ships the username is simply your name, on others, it can be a created name.

Every time you log in, you will start using minutes when you are totally logged on. Make sure you totally log off. The new system doesn't log off by simple x-ing off the internet. Lost 15 minutes on Statendam in November that way.

There will be prompts along the way to setting up your account. You should have no difficulty whether using your own device or a ship's computer. I used to set up our account and sign in the first time on a ship's computer and then use by netbook but I realized it is just as easy on my own device.

I cruised on the Amsterdam for 26 days this fall, then in December we did the 14 day holiday cruise. On the December cruise when setting up my internet account I was not allowed to use the password that I normally use on board the ships for my account - as that password was "already taken" - my password is obscure enough that I doubt anyone else used it - I suspect the system wasn't cleared and I was still in there from the fall cruise (albeit a different cabin) so the system did not like it!

Anyone else ever have that problem?

I cruised on the Amsterdam for 26 days this fall, then in December we did the 14 day holiday cruise. On the December cruise when setting up my internet account I was not allowed to use the password that I normally use on board the ships for my account - as that password was "already taken" - my password is obscure enough that I doubt anyone else used it - I suspect the system wasn't cleared and I was still in there from the fall cruise (albeit a different cabin) so the system did not like it!

Have never had that problem - wonder how often they clear the system - anyone know??

Not all ships have a computer person on duty.

On our November cruises on the Noordam, the librarian (who also only worked part time now) was in charge. There was a stack of papers on her desk on how to set up an account for the computers.

No tech support man.

We had the same experience on our recent Ryndam cruise and the librarian wasn't particularly helpful regarding questions from newbies. She would simply hand the informational sheet to people, stating it explained everything. When I had a problem logging off on one occasion, she explained two methods were available to log off, but did say she would look at the records. Later my account increased by the 15 minutes I had lost due to the log off problem.

Yes, we have had this problem. Both on the Amsterdam which we sail often, and on the Noordam this past November which was the first time on her. So, somehow, the system remembers you have been on HAL ships and use the Internet. We will be on the Zuiderdam soon and am wondering if we will have the same problem. We too use certain passwords and user names while cruising and it is getting to be a problem having to come up with new ones and then remembering them. (Age etc.)

"already taken" ... Anyone else ever have that problem?
No, but I've never been on the same ship twice in one year. I always use the same password, and it wasn't "remembered" from the Eurodam in Aug to the Nieuw A in Dec last year.

What puzzles me is why the system cares if two users have the same password! The same account name, obviously, but a password??

Edited by jtl513

Just got off a 21 day Noordam cruise. I use hotmail and could not get into it for e-mail. Hotmail detected a strange (not mine but HAL's) computer and took extra steps to make certain I was not a hacker. The problem is that they send the appropriate codes, after I answered many qeustions, to an e-mail site you designate. WOW the only one I could designate was the one I was trying to get into and HAL, for understandable reasons, didn't want to give me their e-maill addresss lest they get malware. Upshot was 21 days without e-mail contact. Actually that was not a bad outcome. Made for a better vacation.

I was on Nieuw Amsterdam 1st week of February and had my laptop with me. I created my user name & password up in Explorations Cafe and then was able to use my laptop at all hours in my cabin! And it was NOT terribly slow....

I booked 2 $99.00 packages which gave me 200 minutes each. I should have booked the 400 minutes package as it was $149.00....there were 2 last day packages for getting boarding passes....

If you have a problem be sure to CALL the front desk/guest services....

YES, REMEMBER TO LOG OUT!!!!

I was only able to log onto Hotmail through my laptop.

Well, I sure hope if I run into any issues there will be help somewhere on the ship! It is not a huge deal if we can't send e-mails I just thought it would be nice and I use hotmail as my e-mail.

I do remember (you jogged my memory) about using your name. I will also see if maybe there is a good package to buy instead of doing it minute by minute like I did last time.

Thanks everyone and this has been a good conversation to learn stuff-appreciate all the input.

... and I use hotmail as my e-mail.
I suggest before you go that you set up a new email account someplace else (say yahoo.com) and let your friends/family know that is the only one you'll be using. It will take a while before that starts getting hit with the spam that an older account collects, so you're not paying ship prices to get junk. ;)

Edited by jtl513

I find that my first and oldest email account, my account with aol, may get a lot of spam but it always works - even at times when my main account does not. My friends and family know this.

DH often has trouble with his gmail account while we are on board.