What's in the Library

hvsteve1

Depends what you like. I found books to read.

Always read before going to sleep but I don't go on holiday to read all day.

Don't laugh but this year I am taking an anti-stress book. It is a colouring in book! I have even bought some new crayons!

More stressfull as keep going over the lines:eek:

Not laughing! I love to color. It's a great stress-reliever, and there are some really enjoyable coloring books that are a little more detailed and advanced than the children's coloring books. :)

on S class many shelves unreachable..books seem more like props...

Never understood that design decision. Form over function, and a waste of space.

Though as mentioned it was around the same time they closed half of their existing libraries.

I usually can't find much in any ship libraries, but I always check them out. Some of the book selections are very odd. The worst ever was the Navigator of the Seas--I can only think that they bought odd lots of remanded books from warehouse outlets or something because they had multiple copies of some of the strangest titles--Mushrooms of North America, any one?

You found Mushrooms of North America? I've been looking for it for years but it's out of print! ;)

The selection on most ships is pretty bad and it usually takes a lot of looking to stumble on something of interest. Thank God for Kindles. Incidentally, the QM2, and probably other Cunard ships, has a spectacular library, certainly the equal of what a small town might have.

Edited by BosoxI

I was flamed for criticizing the library on the Reflection, but it seems that many actually share my opinion.

It is a lovely space; however, it is better suited as an impressive setting for photos than a place to get a book. The books themselves seem to be merely part of the staging. I found them to be and odd mish mash of titles and authors I've never heard of. Indeed, they seem to have been scavenged from the leftovers of yard sales or rejected donations from real libraies.

It just struck me as odd to use so much space in a prominent part of the ship to create the illusion of a library.

Perhaps the seating spaces can be used for an alternative, but I feel the shelving of books are still useful even if the selection is somewhat not to people's tastes.:D

The shelving of books that are not reachable and not accessable isn't of any use except to create an illusion. :D

The shelving of books that are not reachable and not accessable isn't of any use except to create an illusion. :D

Agree. Although I was referring to the books that can be borrowed. I would like the ships to retain some shelving for these at the very least:D

Edited by MicCanberra

My most recent two cruises were on HAL and, as others have reported on this forum, their library is very nice. While I could take the book and read it anywhere, my question involves what is available in the library. HAL had a pretty good selection of recent books. Is Celebrity the same? I'll be on Silhouette.

I think you get the message.. average library....but

On the Solstice I think I went back three or four times searching and finally found a book left by other passengers. The author was Susan Howatch and I have subsequently read a number of her novels. I hedge my bets and also travel with a kindle and a Surface Pro:D

I really enjoy sitting in the library, although I have to agree the selection of actual books is rather poor.

However, last year on the Eclipse we found a National Geographic Atlas of the World, and we spent ages looking through it on different occasions.

I actually ordered a more recent edition when we got back home.

I think the library is great. While I usually bring what I wNt yo read, I always check the library to see if something catches my eye. On our last 11 night cruise I found a collection of short stories collected by Neil Gaimen and another author. It was so good I bought the book in the Kindle app to read the final stories.

I also appreciate the quiet space it provides to sit and enjoy my own book from time to time. I had a couple of very early mornings at 4 am and I was able to leave the cabin and let Sweetie sleep while I read for a moment.

I know libraries are not for everyone. Our local library is not as crowded as it used to be, but I always appreciate them for what they provide.

I usually find something there to supplement what I bring with me..both ebooks and some paperbacks....and I leave behind what I don't want. Like the suggestion of checking what was left behind the day I board.

last cruise I read a book by an author I never tried and borrowed another of her books from my Library at home..:)

I've never found a good library on any of the 4 cruise lines I've travelled with.

Used to take 3 or 4 paperbacks with me, plus some magazines from home, but now just take my Kindle.

If I manage to get to grips with my newly acquired tablet I may just take that with me!

If you want to read I'd advise taking book(s) or e-reader with you.

I've never found a good library on any of the 4 cruise lines I've travelled with.

Used to take 3 or 4 paperbacks with me, plus some magazines from home, but now just take my Kindle.

If I manage to get to grips with my newly acquired tablet I may just take that with me!

If you want to read I'd advise taking book(s) or e-reader with you.

Kindle is much better e reader than the Ipad - lighter, better battery and little or no reflection

I check out the library because I love libraries but on three Celebrity cruises I've yet to find a book I just had to read. I'm not picky about a lot of things in life, but I am very particular about books, and I'd hate to be at sea for a week or more without good reading material, so I always bring books I've been wanting to read. Celebrity has enough bars and the library is in the middle of "residential neighbourhoods", so I hope they don't get rid of the library.

The S class libraries are so-so. The library on Summit was abysmal. There were hardly any books at all, and those that were there were old and decrepit. As a book lover and library lover, it saddens me to see this but I know it is just a sign of the times. I finally broke down and got a Kindle, but honestly it just can't beat the memories of the fresh smell and feel of a brand new hardcover book from one of my favorite authors. I also would leave my used paperbacks and magazines in the library for others, and loved to peruse the passenger books left towards the end of the cruise. The selection these days is very minimal as just about everyone has readers or tablets of some sort.

So bottom line, bring your own unless you are very, very flexible with what you will spend your time reading.