Butler service

TWOFERTWO

I have done three searches for butler service, mainly, can it be declined if booking a suite? :eek:

On some other lines, it can be. We would not feel comfortable with the service, but very much would like the extras of a suite.

We are going to be new to Oceania in 2016

Thank you.

Just tell your butler when you embark that you won't be requiring his services. Simple enough.

+1

But please do it very nicely as he will probably take it personally. After all, that is his job and that is what he gets paid for. Wouldn't make a big deal out of it - just do not call on him and when he inquires why, just explain that it is not personal.

If you ever have coffee or breakfast in your room, you will need the butler. The room stewards clean your room but have nothing to do with breakfast or snacks.

Like the others have said, you might want to listen to what he can do for you before you refuse his services.

We had the same thought last year. The third day he stopped me in the hall and inquired whether he had offended us in some way because we hadn't used his services. We learned what he could do to make our stay more enjoyable. Won't make that mistake again. Enjoy your cruise. DW wishes we had a butler at home.

If you ever have coffee or breakfast in your room, you will need the butler. The room stewards clean your room but have nothing to do with breakfast or snacks.

Like the others have said, you might want to listen to what he can do for you before you refuse his services.

Also, the butler can serve you a dinner in your suite (course by course) from any specialty restaurant. This is nice sometimes when you had a long day and don't want to "bother" (i.e. shower, get dressed, spend the time) with a dinner in one of the dining venues or if you wish to but cannot get extra reservations in the specialties.

To paraphrase a quote - Try it, you may like it :)

Edited by Paulchili

Also suggest that you give the butler a try. They are not like the butlers you see on television (Downton Abby, etc.). They do not hover around you. He will ask if you want hors d'oeuvres delivered to your suite (menu in the suite), will ask if you want your shoes shined, and if you need additional dinner reservations. Beyond that, he is available if you need him (or not).

The first time we had a butler I dreaded meeting him and wondered what in the world I could use a butler for. Now we look forward to meeting our butler, chatting with him about the ports, his life outside of Oceania, etc. I'm glad that we gave him a chance and hope that you do as well.

Particularly if you're going to be new to Oceania, your Butler might just work out to be the best friend that you ever had...they are marvelous ambassadors for the Line.

Aside from such "normal" tasks such as fetching that library book that you absent mindedly left on a lounge chair near the pool, or making sure that your suite is well supplied with martini glasses, Butlers can also be the onboard confidant who explains the intricacies of how the ships' tender system works, how to get "extra" Specialty Restaurant reservations, or even how to get your Bingo winnings applied to your Shipboard Account ;)

Their jobs center around knowing how daily life on the ship works, and they offer a gold mine of experience. Having a good Butler can transform your cruise!

Did YOU know that every Oceania ship carries a supply of Rose Petals?......just saying.......:rolleyes:

If it had not been for our wonderful butler Churchill we would have skipped going ashore at Grand Cayman - he asked us what we planned to do. We said "stay on board". He almost pushed us off the ship! And we had a very nice walk around Georgetown as a result.

On another cruise Pritham asked what he could do to make our cruise more enjoyable. I said I was missing my Indian food. And he said "when would you like a Indian dinner?". Two nights later we were served a lovely Indian meal (undoubtedly cooked by the chef responsible for the Butler's own food).

Butlers can also - change your dinner reservations, get more dinner reservations, get you onto tours, get your laundry back the same day with no additional charge (sometimes!), see that you only have the drinks you want in your mini bar (we don't drink Coca Cola for example but we do drink a lot of mineral water) AND on one memorable occasion our suite was decorated as a surprise for my husband's birthday! Balloons, streamers, cake etc.

I have only once sailed without a butler since 2004 and I have no plans to do that again!

TwoForTwo,

I agree with the others. When butlers were first instituted we didn't think we'd need them either. And we didn't use them as far as I can recall. (Perhaps to have breakfast in the suite but nothing else.) They wanted to book specialty restaurants but we didn't really care to have extra reservations either.

Then came the time when I tore my meniscus the day before boarding the ship and I was either on crutches or in a wheelchair to get around, so we used the butler A LOT. Ever since then, we take advantage of their services.

Mura

Thank you all for your kinds words about butler service. We certainly would not offened the person. We may try, we are just so use to doing for ourselves. :)

Just think of butler service as an integral - and lovely - part of CruiseWorld, an alternate reality which lasts too briefly, and from which you will be sent packing far too soon! Enjoy your cruise and your suite - and your butler.

We, too, were at first unsure how we felt about a butler - we are pretty self-sufficient and don't require much pampering in order to have a good time - and thought having a butler sounded a bit pompous.:p Also, the additional gratuity for a service we thought we didn't want or need was another reason we were reluctant to have a butler. We also thought a regular cabin was good and big enough, and it is, but once you have a PH, well, there really is no going back;). So we had our first butler and we weren't that impressed - he was young and apparently new to the job, so we never really used his services mainly because we weren't sure what they were and he was too inexperienced to realize that and inform us.

Then - we had Churchill and life on board as we knew it changed!

Having the right butler can truly enhance your on-board experience and make an already fabulous cruise even more special. Yes, the right butler will spoil you and pamper you and I guarantee you will grow to love the special attention and services he can provide, from having a made to order breakfast delivered to you in your cabin, to having a special dinner with all your favorite dishes from the specialty restaurants, served course by course in your cabin. We didn't want our shoes polished - we didn't have him iron anything - we didn't have him unpack our suitcases - but the tips and suggestions he gave to make sure we were taking advantage of everything offered were invaluable and his genuine concern for our well-being was very much appreciated.

A good butler, like Churchill, is a genuine delight so I highly encourage you to relax and enjoy the experience. I think once you do, you'll feel like me and so many others - grateful and wishing you could take him home!:D

We, too, were at first unsure how we felt about a butler....Then - we had Churchill and life on board as we knew it changed!

A good butler, like Churchill, is a genuine delight so I highly encourage you to relax and enjoy the experience. I think once you do, you'll feel like me and so many others - grateful and wishing you could take him home!:D

We totally agree. We had Ismael on Marina and he was "over the top."

They talk about "anticipating your needs" - that was how he was.

I think it's really a question of letting him know what you would like....and then sit back and enjoy