The Grand..officially my least favorite Princess ship

DMRick

Our first two cruises were on the Grand back in 2005 and 06. Maybe we were too star struck to notice or maybe she didn't have those issues back then but we LOVED everything about her! The cabin staff, dining room staff (and food), the condition of the ship (altho not the fanciest). Don't recall any offensive smells. OTOT, the Emerald we just got off of reeked of sewage in many areas...our handicap bathroom being one of them! The odor was coming from the drainage channels around the shower. Every elevator reeked of fishy sea water. Don't understand that one.

Anyone know which Princess ship will be sailing out of Houston (or Galveston) next Jan/Feb?

Our first two cruises were on the Grand back in 2005 and 06. Maybe we were too star struck to notice or maybe she didn't have those issues back then but we LOVED everything about her! The cabin staff, dining room staff (and food), the condition of the ship (altho not the fanciest). Don't recall any offensive smells. OTOT, the Emerald we just got off of reeked of sewage in many areas...our handicap bathroom being one of them! The odor was coming from the drainage channels around the shower. Every elevator reeked of fishy sea water. Don't understand that one.

Anyone know which Princess ship will be sailing out of Houston (or Galveston) next Jan/Feb?

Caribbean Princess - Houston

If this was supposed to be a Grand cruise, it left a lot. Everyone seemed to have some kind of nasal congestion and cough due to the mold and lack of air circulation. One man sat next to us at the show one night and coughed and sneezed the whole time, it was very rude and hard to get up and move. Never saw them wipe the rails, a lot of time the hand sanitizers were not working. Bathrooms especially ladies by the theater were filthy and the smell of smoke and mold was horrible

If this was supposed to be a Grand cruise, it left a lot. Everyone seemed to have some kind of nasal congestion and cough due to the mold and lack of air circulation. One man sat next to us at the show one night and coughed and sneezed the whole time, it was very rude and hard to get up and move. Never saw them wipe the rails, a lot of time the hand sanitizers were not working. Bathrooms especially ladies by the theater were filthy and the smell of smoke and mold was horrible

Hmmm...I've seen many sick passengers (particularly during the winter) on other ships without the mold reported on the Grand & using the same circulation system. :confused:

It seems to be an assumption lacking any facts to say that the sickness is caused by mold & lack of air circulation. I am concerned about the reports of mold on the Grand but not drawing a conclusion that it's the cause of nasal congestion & coughing.

Edited by Astro Flyer

It seems to be an assumption lacking any facts to say that the sickness is caused by mold & lack of air circulation. I am concerned about the reports of mold on the Grand but not drawing a conclusion that it's the cause of nasal congestion & coughing.

OK, not scientific, but on almost every cruise I have a dry cough by the fifth day.

The only time this has not happened in recent years has been on the Royal Princess, a relatively new ship that probably has not been in service long enough to developa a mold (or whatever is causing my cough) problem.

I'm currently on the Grand, in Honolulu today. :) We sail in an hour.

Haven't seen any mold, have seen some toilets out of service, including in the Spa, have heard about water dripping problems and buckets but haven't seen it, have heard of cabin temperature problems (on the cold side) and I've had a hard time keeping my cabin above 70-degrees, have seen some wear and tear, etc. The Grand became my least-favorite Princess ship back in 2001, shortly after she was launched and my feelings haven't changed. Mostly minor stuff but I admit I'm biased and would prefer any other Princess ship.

The cabin layout is very different with less than half the closet and wardrobe space of similar ships. The cabin door is so heavy it's almost impossible to open but on the other hand, I have yet to hear any corridor sounds... and I'm literally at the elevators.

Service has been spotty, my cabin steward is "adequate" although my waste basket wasn't emptied for four days and even now, it's like every two days. We had drinks in Crooners tonight and it was almost empty. Waited over 15 minutes for service and then went up to the bar to see if anyone was serving.

Ordered the Steak Diane for dinner tonight and it was so tough and grisly that it was like the sole of a shoe. Awful.

Food in the buffet has been quite good but they are very, very slow to replace empty serving trays of food. One day, I waited over ten minutes for fried eggs to be replenished and then gave up. I was pooped after my tour yesterday so I went up to the buffet for dinner. Had a delicious salad, fresh pasta made right in front of me and a skewer of chicken pieces wrapped in bacon, basted with BBQ sauce and grilled that was delicious. :)

Laundry service has been outstanding with laundry returned 8-24 hours after sending it out. Welcome change from the 3-4 days on the Royal last September.

Internet is abysmal. Very old technology and almost impossible to connect to the Internet unless it's between Midnight and 7am. The Internet Cafe manager told me that it was supposed to be updated on the next cruise but has been postponed. He didn't know when it would.

Edited by Pam in CA

The Grand is also my least favorite ship. We sailed on her in 2007 to the Western Caribbean. I didn't like the covered pool area that she had then. It just didn't feel like I was in the Caribbean. That would have been better suited for Alaska, or one of the ones in colder climates. She was also pretty worn then, because that was before a major drydock.

Pam, I hear you about how heavy the door is.. I didn't remember that from the last time. I thought maybe mine had gotten water on it and swelled.

The Internet guy is new. The one we started out with left mid trip to NCL. I have to say the old and new guys were very quick to add minutes when it used up so many just trying to get on. They often put out signs suggesting you not try to get on at certain times.

Watch the pool chairs at the rear of the ship.. Many are broken but you may not realize it til you lean back!

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

This is all distressing news as the Grand used to be one of our favorites since we cruised her when she was a new vessel (and several times since). But mold on a ship is no laughing matter and should never be minimized. We have only encountered this problem on one prior ship (HALs Rotterdam) and it was nasty! We have long felt that the USPS should put more emphasis on mold issues when they do their annual health inspection...and this would force cruise lines to quickly deal with the problem rather then letting it fester until a major (or minor) drydock. Many folks are not aware that some mold can be a dangerous health issue resulting is some severe types of pneumonia.

As to another post about "sewer smells" we would just mention that we have cruised on more then 65 different ships (14 cruise lines) and have only encountered sewer odors on a few (less then 5) of those vessels.

And by the way, our most recent Princess cruise was on the Ruby (25 days last spring) and the ship was in excellent condition. In fact, it was one of our best Princess cruises (we have been Elite for many years).

Hank

I dont remember reading so much negative comments on or about a ship? Does Princess read any of this ? and what is the position ? regards the problems? I personally have had no major regrets sailing the grand ( three times in the last two years) So heres hoping for a pleasant two week holiday with my 60 years wed lady in april..

what say princess you must be listening somewhere???

I was on that sailing with you. I'm sorry you had so many problems with the ship, but I have to admit, I feel a bit vindicated as folks can now see there are more than a couple of us less than enamored with that ship. I sailed on it in December as well and when I mentioned the quality of the food, hit and miss service and shoddy ship, I was told by people that some will find reasons to complain about everything.

To be honest, if we had not already made final payment on the February sailing, I would have cancelled it after the December one. I can honestly say I cannot imagine that I would ever sail the Grand again. The negatives were actually more evident to me after a perfect cruise on the Pacific that we took in January.

That being said, the cruise itself was fine, Elua (as always) were wonderful, and except for missing Kauai -- my favorite port -- I don't regret going on it. But I am so happy they are using the Ruby for this itinerary for the next season as I think I would pass on the LA-Hawaii cruise if it meant going on the Grand again.

After tears in the upholstery in the cabin, tons of leaks everywhere and the overall ship quality, barring a crazy price I'm done with that ship. We have done that sailing once or twice a year for many years now, but would skip it if it meant the Grand.

Edited by Waimea'sMom

I'm glad all this awful commentary is here on CC instead of in USATODAY.

Princess has always meant quality to me, and a cut above the norm. It sounds like the

standards are slipping somewhat, if ships that desperately need to be drydocked or sold are still sailing under the Princess name.

I've sailed on older ships and still older ships, going back to '84 when I started. Emerald Seas, Dolphin, Commodore Cruise Lines, all of which were old ships dusted off periodically, and sailing full week after week. I don't remember ever ever seeing mold, chipped paint, badly stained carpets, and buckets to catch dripping water. EVER!

I sure hope Princess is aware of what is being said.

I should emphasize that while the Grand is my least favorite Princess ship, I'm still having a great cruise and enjoying myself. I don't sweat minor problems. As said, I haven't seen any mold.

I've taken cruises on a lot of ships on different lines and seen much worse problems elsewhere. I've got photos of mildew literally covering two sides of the shower on the Prinsendam, torn and dirty cabin furniture, etc. While it affects me, I can always have a good or great cruise.

I should emphasize that while the Grand is my least favorite Princess ship, I'm still having a great cruise and enjoying myself. I don't sweat minor problems. As said, I haven't seen any mold.

I've taken cruises on a lot of ships on different lines and seen much worse problems elsewhere. I've got photos of mildew literally covering two sides of the shower on the Prinsendam, torn and dirty cabin furniture, etc. While it affects me, I can always have a good or great cruise.

Glad you are enjoying your cruise. We did the Grand 1.5 years ago, did so to check the ship out since reviews then were not good. I was very surprised we did see any significant issues, so we have booked the ship again. We had great service in the MDR, had a mini suite forward, even our balcony was okay even though there were many comments of rusting balconies. I am allergic to mold, sometimes I am impacted when staying in hotels if there is mold in the air conditioning, did not have a problem on the Grand. Have had issues on HAL, maybe the Westerdam a few years back, not sure which HAL ship for sure. So I will keep my fingers cross for our next trip on the Grand. Like going out of San Francisco round trip to Hawaii. Easy cruise for us.

Happy Cruising Pam!!

Our Grand experience was out of San Pedro, not SF.

As another person allergic to mold it's hard to miss. It's more the smell and the reaction I got with runny eyes and nose as well as a cough. But not so much seeing it. If you aren't sensitive to it or the smeller isn't good you might not notice it.. But it was much talked about. In any case mold/mildew is not good to be breathing in. I believe with all the leaks, it's growing under the rugs. The worse is the front right area (as you look at the stage) of explorers and especially that exit from the right, as well as the first table before the dance floor where I got rained on and the rug was soaked. . Often was one of those machines that dry and a crew member often standing there. Also, our cabin was on the 12th deck forward.. The smell was especially strong where the pails were catching water in the hallway. It appears the leaks are off and on as sometimes there were buckets. Also aft 7th deck near the elevators. Keep your inhaler close at hand.

We sailed on Grand in May of 2014. We had a great cruise. We did notice some inconsistency in the temperature around the ship but, other than that, we didn't really see any problems. We wouldn't hesitate to sail on Grand again.

As another person allergic to mold it's hard to miss. It's more the smell and the reaction I got with runny eyes and nose as well as a cough. But not so much seeing it. If you aren't sensitive to it or the smeller isn't good you might not notice it.. But it was much talked about. In any case mold/mildew is not good to be breathing in.

You are exactly right! Just because you can't see it, does not mean it is not there, or it is not effecting you. Some of us are more sensitive (allergic) than others. I am sure you are like me, in that it makes you ill :eek:.

I was on that sailing with you. I'm sorry you had so many problems with the ship' date=' but I have to admit, I feel a bit vindicated as folks can now see there are more than a couple of us less than enamored with that ship. I sailed on it in December as well and when I mentioned the quality of the food, hit and miss service and shoddy ship, I was told by people that some will find reasons to complain about everything.

To be honest, if we had not already made final payment on the February sailing, I would have cancelled it after the December one. I can honestly say I cannot imagine that I would ever sail the Grand again. The negatives were actually more evident to me after a perfect cruise on the Pacific that we took in January.

That being said, the cruise itself was fine, Elua (as always) were wonderful, and except for missing Kauai -- my favorite port -- I don't regret going on it. But I am so happy they are using the Ruby for this itinerary for the next season as I think I would pass on the LA-Hawaii cruise if it meant going on the Grand again.

After tears in the upholstery in the cabin, tons of leaks everywhere and the overall ship quality, barring a crazy price I'm done with that ship. We have done that sailing once or twice a year for many years now, but would skip it if it meant the Grand.[/quote']

We were on your cruise, our first with Princess, and the food was so disappointing! We were shocked, as we have friends who rave about the food on Princess. The Chef's Table and Ultimate Balcony Dinner were absolutely amazing and we'd do them again in a heartbeat. But the MDRs and buffet were so disappointing. One morning I ordered a breakfast special, Alaskan Salmon Scramble (I think). What I got looked like yellow cottage cheese curds with tiny, tiny pieces of smoked salmon scattered throughout. Our first breakfast at the buffet featured cold fried eggs, though later in the cruise they were usually hot or warm.

One very bright spot: the chocolate desserts were amazing! I'm used to NCL where chocolate desserts are brown but have zero flavor. The chocolate soft serve ice cream on Deck 14--amazing. The International Cafe's white & dark chocolate mousse--to die for. I talked to one woman who was eating three of them a day!

I'm relatively new to cruising - my experience to date has been the Disney Dream last August (blew me away) and Disney Magic (lovely) last month. My next cruise - and first with Princess - will be on the Grand in May (Alaska)! I don't know whether to laugh or cry but at least I've been forewarned ;)