The Grand..officially my least favorite Princess ship

DMRick

I'm relatively new to cruising - my experience to date has been the Disney Dream last August (blew me away) and Disney Magic (lovely) last month. My next cruise - and first with Princess - will be on the Grand in May (Alaska)! I don't know whether to laugh or cry but at least I've been forewarned ;)

I'm sure it will be quite a bit different from Disney but... My first cruise was a Princess cruise to Alaska - 10 day SF/Alaska round trip. I knew I would hate everything about cruising. There was no doubt about it. However, after that first cruise I was hooked.

Enjoy your cruise and enjoy Alaska.

I'm relatively new to cruising - my experience to date has been the Disney Dream last August (blew me away) and Disney Magic (lovely) last month. My next cruise - and first with Princess - will be on the Grand in May (Alaska)! I don't know whether to laugh or cry but at least I've been forewarned ;)

The beauty of Alaska should make up for any shortcomings on the ship.

I should emphasize that while the Grand is my least favorite Princess ship, I'm still having a great cruise and enjoying myself. I don't sweat minor problems. As said, I haven't seen any mold.

I've taken cruises on a lot of ships on different lines and seen much worse problems elsewhere. I've got photos of mildew literally covering two sides of the shower on the Prinsendam, torn and dirty cabin furniture, etc. While it affects me, I can always have a good or great cruise.

Pam... I'm glad to hear this comment. I've read your posts for a long time on cc and appreciate your advice. We'll be on the ship when you return. I followed your roll call for tips since this will be our first cruise to Hawaii and first time on the Grand! Almost wish I hadn't read this thread but I will keep an open mind and plan to have a fantastic time!

Marilyn :)

Pam... I'm glad to hear this comment. I've read your posts for a long time on cc and appreciate your advice. We'll be on the ship when you return. I followed your roll call for tips since this will be our first cruise to Hawaii and first time on the Grand! Almost wish I hadn't read this thread but I will keep an open mind and plan to have a fantastic time!

Marilyn :)

Marilyn,

I've been reading this thread too but figure " it is what it is" and I certainly won't be looking for issues. We have a great bunch on our roll call and I'm sure we will have a lot of fun.

See you at the hotel or on board the ship.

Jackie

Marilyn,

I've been reading this thread too but figure " it is what it is" and I certainly won't be looking for issues. We have a great bunch on our roll call and I'm sure we will have a lot of fun.

See you at the hotel or on board the ship.

Jackie

I agree with you Jackie! We do have an amazing group of folks...... We'll have a blast! See you very soon. 😊

The Grand was the first two cruises we did on Princess and it was fine then. We had been on three other cruise lines before that time. The Grand underwent a significant redo in May 2011 and was last in drydock 14 months ago for a refresh. I would sail again on the Grand if it had a voyage I was interested in without any qualms.

I sailed on the new Royal last year and it is going to take some getting accustomed to as some of my favorite features were removed. I will manage however. :D

You are exactly right! Just because you can't see it, does not mean it is not there, or it is not effecting you. Some of us are more sensitive (allergic) than others. I am sure you are like me, in that it makes you ill :eek:.

My ex suffered from an awful case of hypersensitivity pneumonitis ( look it up) which adversely impacted her life for more then 1 year! After lots of investigation it was determined to have been caused by a certain type of mold (relatively common). Until that time I used to brush off those that talked about mold related issues, but her case made a believer out of me. The final result was that our State Government had to spend several million dollars to rid a government office building of mold.

So when I hear of mold issues on ships it does cause me some concern. The only time we have ever encountered obvious mold on a ship was on the HAL Rotterdam....and it happened to be in a section of the dining room where water had leaked under a carpet. The area smelled moldy (and it was) and many passengers demanded to be moved from that section (it was scheduled to be repaired after our cruise).

Most folks that are impacted by mold are not aware until they get sick...and they can get very sick!

Hank

We were on the Grand just over 2 years ago and we encountered leaking pipes, wet carpets, weird smells etc too. The starboard side hallway on Baja deck had several buckets all along, all catching leaks. There was an awful smell along this hall too - it wasn't mildewy, more of a bad sewer smell. It was pretty gross and we had to hold our breath whenever we were in that area. There was often fans set up in the hall, blowing on the wet carpets. I would also say the Grand is our least favourite Princess ship.

We were on the Grand in August and had a cabin on Baja and also noticed a stench near the main elevator bank

But we never noticed mildew and I have asthma and am very sensitive to smells, mold, et cet and never had any problems. We had a great time on the Hrand though and reslky enjoyed that cruise a lot, however

Went to the HC buffet for daily cookies and milk run, sitting by the window, and started seeing a drip at the far end down towards the entrance from the pool side. We watched it for about five minutes, and people started getting out of the way as it proceeded down to our end by the drink server stations. The florescent lights on the ceiling that were directly above the window walls started eerily flickering fast, and reminiscent of the titanic movies as she was going down and then went dark. No other lights were affected. I never felt any danger, it was more fascination. Really, panel, by panel, as the water proceeded towards our area, we moved, and the entire wall, about 50 feet was pouring down like an intermittent waterfall. A server used the phone on the wall, called someone, and instantly, an officer arrived, and was shortly joined by five engineers all wearing stripes. They started pulling panels from the ceiling with flashlights trying to isolate the problem. They then closed down that side of the buffet, and said the other side would open soon. We didn't return until the next day, when we saw all the tables and chairs had been returned and that side of the buffet was operating normally, but, the ceiling lights along that upper wall was now completely dark until we disembarked.

I never heard officially, whether it was water pipes, or a leak from the above spa or pools, but, otherwise, I have sailed on the Grand three times with 39 days, including when she was new, and still think she is a beautiful ship. We did not let this distraction interfere with a wonderful holiday, and would certainly sail on her again.

Unfortunately I'm unable to upload the video of the water coming from the ceiling that day, but it was January 28th, 2015 and we were in Loreto

I should emphasize that while the Grand is my least favorite Princess ship, I'm still having a great cruise and enjoying myself. I don't sweat minor problems. As said, I haven't seen any mold.

I've taken cruises on a lot of ships on different lines and seen much worse problems elsewhere. I've got photos of mildew literally covering two sides of the shower on the Prinsendam, torn and dirty cabin furniture, etc. While it affects me, I can always have a good or great cruise.

Pam What a wonderful mindset. My DW is now leery about our Nov cruise from SF on the Grand. I am still looking forward to it.

Besides the grand I have been on other ships with water coming from the ceiling. Over time the twisting of ship movements pops the old line. She is still a good ship was on her 8 months ago and a friend was on 2 months ago so don't worry no showers in the hall ways

I just got back from the Feb. 17th cruise. Each person has their own unique experience and my experience is that I had a wonderful cruise and the islands were beautiful. The crew were amazing and we got to know so many of them. I would definitely sail on the Grand again. I did not experience any odd smells or mold but do understand for those that have allergies.:)

I just got back from the Feb. 17th cruise. Each person has their own unique experience and my experience is that I had a wonderful cruise and the islands were beautiful. The crew were amazing and we got to know so many of them. I would definitely sail on the Grand again. I did not experience any odd smells or mold but do understand for those that have allergies.:)

That's very good to read :). Thank you for taking the time to post.

Well, we are back one day, and the Grand has officially become our least favorite ship. Not because of the entertainment, the food, the service (no complaints there, except we did notice less servers, which just meant those we had had to rush a bit more)..but because of the ship. So glad I had my inhaler with me...the mildew gave me cause for concern.

It just needs to get a bit worse, and Princess will send it to

Austraillia for ever. I think it's on the way to Alang.

I'm not saying they deserve it, just that is how Princess has

worked in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

We just finished a cruise on the Grand on March 4, and I agree about the rundown conditions. Also, our mattresses were the worst I have ever slept on, even with the egg carton foam thingies. Food was horrible - I ended up eating a lot of green salads and mashed potatoes. However, the staff and crew could not have been nicer or more friendly. DH and I both became sick on the return trip - it seemed like everyone on the ship had a horrible cough. He felt so bad that he went to the ship's medical clinic. It is only open from 9-11 and 4-6 daily. He arrived at 4 only to be told they were closing because they had three seriously ill patients and only 3 bays in which to see patients, to please come back tomorrow. So he did. He sat for an hour, then was told to leave because of the same reason he was given the day before. He went back that afternoon and was finally seen, diagnosed with the flu and quarantined. The next day his fever was gone, so I don't think it was really the flu. It was a very unsettling experience, nonetheless.

We just finished a cruise on the Grand on March 4, and I agree about the rundown conditions. Also, our mattresses were the worst I have ever slept on, even with the egg carton foam thingies. Food was horrible - I ended up eating a lot of green salads and mashed potatoes. However, the staff and crew could not have been nicer or more friendly. DH and I both became sick on the return trip - it seemed like everyone on the ship had a horrible cough. He felt so bad that he went to the ship's medical clinic. It is only open from 9-11 and 4-6 daily. He arrived at 4 only to be told they were closing because they had three seriously ill patients and only 3 bays in which to see patients, to please come back tomorrow. So he did. He sat for an hour, then was told to leave because of the same reason he was given the day before. He went back that afternoon and was finally seen, diagnosed with the flu and quarantined. The next day his fever was gone, so I don't think it was really the flu. It was a very unsettling experience, nonetheless.

One does not get quarantined for the "flu". It would have been Noro.

Per the CDC

Passengers with ILI who nonetheless decide to board, as well as passengers who become ill with ILI en route, should be medically evaluated (see next section) and remain isolated in their cabins or quarters until at least 24 hours after resolution of fever (100° F [37.8° C]) without the use of fever-reducing medications.

http://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/management/guidance-cruise-ships-influenza-updated.html

Crew is restricted to their cabin for flu.

I was curious -- do they like the break from work, or do they go crazy.

Both people this happened to told me that after the first day,

you are crazy to get out.

It was definitely not Noro - no vomiting, no diarrhea, no stomach problems at all. DH had a fever of 102, head congestion and coughing. He was quarantined. The next day a Physician's Assistant came by our room to check on him and take his temperature.

For me it was our hot cabin. We went on her late October on a 10 day to Mexico and our room was 80 plus degrees most of the trip. It was not easy blow drying and styling my hair for dinner every night. Very uncomfortable. My Dad was on the very next next sailing and experienced the same in his cabin (which was on the opposite side of the ship and a different deck) and he also was not able to use his own restroom in his cabin for 3 days due to plumbing back up issues. After hearing that, I was happy I just sweat my tail off!

Not true. We were on the same cruise on the Grand. My sister had a high fever and cough. She went to the Medical Center since she's had some health issues and wanted to make sure the temp was not due to an infection. They tested her and other than the flu, she was fine. However, she was quarantined for four days... until her temp was normal for 24 hours. All she had was the cough and temp.

The Medical Center called at various times of the day to check on her and the Hazmat team cleaned her cabin. She had to go to the Medical Center to have her temp checked once a day. She said that there were lines of people waiting for it to open. The nurses and doctor were working very long hours due to the number of flu cases. Several of our friends and tablemates also caught the flu towards the end of the cruise. I got it three days after disembarking.