Additional entrée charges?

Duke Mazer

I read this in the FAQ of the ultimate dinning package

"Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro"

Does that mean if you want a second entree you have to pay for it, or if you pay additional fees for entree. If you're charged for the entree how can they say Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro are included in the ultimate dining package.

There are a couple of dishes in Le Bistro which cost an extra $10 and I understand from posts on here that you don't have to pay that if you have the UDP (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

What is being referred to here is if you ask for a second entree. You will get charged extra for that (or at least you should, but it appears that is not always the case).

There seems to be conflicting reports, but there are three or four items on the menu at Le Bistro that have a $10 surcharge (Fruits De Mer, Lobster, and more). These are NOT included and you will be charged the $10. Some staff don't know this and are including it. The answer, as always, is to ask before you order.

Extra entrees are charged at $10, but more appetizers, desserts or sides are included.

"Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro"

Does that mean if you want a second entree you have to pay for it, or if you pay additional fees for entree. If you're charged for the entree how can they say Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro are included in the ultimate dining package.

this is from the terms and conditions of the udp.

The Ultimate Dining Package is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Carlo’s Bakery items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, 24/7 Pizza Chef’s Table is not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. The UDP does not include beverages. No Kids pricing, package available for guest 13 and older. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. The package does not apply to Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the Ultimate Dining Package (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). Additional main courses in Cagney’s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00.

There seems to be conflicting reports, but there are three or four items on the menu at Le Bistro that have a $10 surcharge (Fruits De Mer, Lobster, and more). These are NOT included and you will be charged the $10. Some staff don't know this and are including it. The answer, as always, is to ask before you order.

Extra entrees are charged at $10, but more appetizers, desserts or sides are included.

I definitely agree about their having been conflicting reports, but the 3 or 4 items you referred to are listed in NCL terms as "INCLUDED" and therefore diners should NOT be charged. If staff is charging, then I would suggest that the following term be presented:

UDP Terms & Conditions:

"The Ultimate Dining Package is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Carlo’s Bakery items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, 24/7 Pizza Chef’s Table is not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. The UDP does not include beverages. No Kids pricing, package available for guest 13 and older. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. The package does not apply to Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the Ultimate Dining Package (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). Additional main courses in Cagney’s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00."

People always respond to these questions by bringing up upcharge items. That is NOT the same thing as additional entrees.

If you want a 2nd entree in Le Bistro or Cagney's, you will be charged $10. It has nothing to do with whether or not the item is an upcharge item. That is what is stated in the terms, and that is what is generally enforced. You will have plenty of people say they got lucky and were not charged for 2nd entrees, but don't expect that.

I cannot fathom why people always respond to these questions by bringing up the upcharge items when that was not the question asked, and it only confuses matters.

Edited by LrgPizza

• 4 months later...

Sound like you all have a lot of info on the UDP. We have 6 sailing on the Epic with two kids 10 & 7. The two main people will receive the UDP and UBP as part of the booking package. I had previously been told all people in the room have to have the same packages. I am not a drinker and wonder if I should transfer this to someone else.

Is there a UDP available for kids? I don't think they really want to eat the fancy food but after eating in the crowds on the Dawn at Easter and this ship having almost twice the people, I want to be prepared.

Any info you can share will be appreciated.

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that kids under age 13 can order from the kids' menu, which is available in all restaurants, without charge. They can also order from the menu in the specialty restaurant, but two different NCL customer service reps told me two different things -- the first told me that the kids would be charged 1/2 price for that, and the second told me it was full price. (I'm going to be a little irked if it's full price, because I bought the UDP based on the first person's information.)

I'm also thinking that if I can order more than one app and/or dessert, I may just feed the kids off my extra apps, along with whatever they get from the kids' menu--the apps are usually what they really want anyway.

Terms & Conditions

Specialty Dining Packages are available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. Specialty Dining Packages are not available on 1- and 2-day sailings. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. No kids pricing available. Specialty Dining Packages are non transferable. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. Carlo's Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, Chef's Table, Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year's, Christmas, etc.), à la carte priced restaurants, entertainment based restaurants, Bayamo, Ocean Blue restaurants, and beverages are not included as part of Specialty Dining Packages. You may choose to dine in the following venues as part of your Specialty Dining Package for the corresponding upcharges: The Supper Club ($15), Ocean Blue ($15), Bayamo ($10), Cirque Dreams and Illusionarium ($10 regular seats/$15 premium seats/$35 VIP seating on Breakaway), Sushi Bar ($7), Pincho Tapas Bar ($7), and Raw Bar ($7). Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at $10.00.

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but my understanding is that kids under age 13 can order from the kids' menu, which is available in all restaurants, without charge. They can also order from the menu in the specialty restaurant, but two different NCL customer service reps told me two different things -- the first told me that the kids would be charged 1/2 price for that, and the second told me it was full price. (I'm going to be a little irked if it's full price, because I bought the UDP based on the first person's information.)

I'm also thinking that if I can order more than one app and/or dessert, I may just feed the kids off my extra apps, along with whatever they get from the kids' menu--the apps are usually what they really want anyway.[/quote']

Kids used to be half price, but are now full price. Back when they were half price, they still received the same exact food as the full price adult meals.

Duke, the additional charge is for for more than one entree or that is how I understand it. I think it is easy to understand the policy and yes, Le Bistro and Cagney's are part of the package and are included in the ultimate dining package. But a second entree, wow, I don't think I would be concerned with it right now: the meals are so large, most people couldn't eat 2 entrees anyway. It is just like the ubp, yes, it is unlimited booze, but you can't order 2 or 3 drinks at once.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Another question: If I buy one of the mini dining packages (like the three restaurant one), will I be charged an upcharge on those special items? I order Fruits de Mer every time I visit Le Bistro, and it would be fabulous to have the same benefit of the UDP...So long as that's still on the menu at the end of 2016 when I get to cruise again. So many changes lately...

Kids used to be half price, but are now full price. Back when they were half price, they still received the same exact food as the full price adult meals.

This is really aggravating because when I booked the cruise -- which was only a couple of weeks ago -- the woman definitely told me that the kids were half price. (I was already a little irritated because the online promotion had indicated that all the members of the cabin would get the free UDP as the promotion, so I wasn't really happy when she told me toward the end of my booking that only the adults would get it.) We're going to be eating in the specialty restaurants almost every night with the UDP, so this adds about $200 to the cost of the cruise for me. The food is one of the big draws for the kids about a cruise, and, at this point, I'm regretting choosing NCL. My husband is going to have an absolute fit when the "free" UDP ends up costing us $400 for the kids to eat.

After all the posts, I still did not see on the ''official '' language that the UDP in Le Bistro or Cagneys, you are allowed a second entree with or without a $10.00 cost for only the second entree. I realize the first entree, regardless of what it is, is included, free. Patience people, I only am asking about the cost of a second entree if someone wants one. Possibly, someone may not like the first entree. Not trying to be miserable, only I have seen so many posts on this, but none defining the second entree or cost.

After all the posts, I still did not see on the ''official '' language that the UDP in Le Bistro or Cagneys, you are allowed a second entree with or without a $10.00 cost for only the second entree. I realize the first entree, regardless of what it is, is included, free. Patience people, I only am asking about the cost of a second entree if someone wants one. Possibly, someone may not like the first entree. Not trying to be miserable, only I have seen so many posts on this, but none defining the second entree or cost.

I have never seen it posted that one could order a second entree in these restaurants without incurring a fee, with or without the UDP.

Look at the last sentences in these paragraphs:

http://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

Edited by LrgPizza

I have read the last paragraph as well as tyhe whole article. The problem is that is incomplete. I have the UDP grandfathered in from early this year and the 18% does not apply to me. The last paragraph does not state anything pertaining to those of us in this case as we do not pay for the first $10 upgrade in Cagneys and Le Bistro. Calling NCL did not help, various opinions from three different operators.

I have read the last paragraph as well as tyhe whole article. The problem is that is incomplete. I have the UDP grandfathered in from early this year and the 18% does not apply to me. The last paragraph does not state anything pertaining to those of us in this case as we do not pay for the first $10 upgrade in Cagneys and Le Bistro. Calling NCL did not help, various opinions from three different operators.

It clearly says additional main entrees will be charged $10.

I'm honestly confused about what you are looking for. You said in your original post that you hadn't seen anything official about whether extra entrees are chargeable, and you were directed towards some such official language.

When you booked the UDP is fairly irrelevant as they have always been charged since the package was introduced I believe.

I'm not sure what you mean by your reference to you not having to pay the $10 upgrade in Cagneys and Le Bistro. Nothing has changed there at all. It always has been, and continues to be that the up charge entrees are free for those with the UDP, but additional entrees are chargeable. That is what the official language has always said, to my knowledge.

just get the 32oz steak at le bistro.

that'll eliminate all questions/problems about 2nd entrée.

why you ask?

cause you'll be TTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO full to order a 2nd entrée.

or dessert... or breakfast the next morning. maybe even lunch.

in fact, from now on ,if anyone else asks a similar question, just say order the 32oz steak :D

Edited by fstuff1