no availability at Sabor :( (Oasis Apr 4)

Just booked an eastern C cruise on Oasis April 4th and already the mexican resaurant Sabor is all booked up every day until 9pm :(

Want to be lean this trip and not eat at the fee restaurants so the only ones we can do are Sabor and the Japanese. Any tips on getting a table for an earlier dining?

Also can we book multiple nights at Izumi or only one per trip?

Edited by sarahsentry

We made reservations on board at 1pm for 7pm that same night, not problems. but I think this will be the new "secret" that everyone knows about. Heard lots of people raving about this place, including us.

It's really good food and great value. Liked it the food more than Giovanni and paid half the price.

• 2 months later...

We just got back from Oasis and weren't impressed with Sabor. IMHO, it really shouldn't be classified as "specialty dining", just a "fee restaurant" like Johnny Rockets and Cups & Scoops. The food was fine but it isn't really a special dining experience...average food, average service, noise from Boardwalk and Aqua Theater. Had we gone for lunch, I'd have been happy. Dinner? No. I'll pay a bit more for a true specialty restaurant or eat in the MDR.

We just got back from Oasis and weren't impressed with Sabor. IMHO, it really shouldn't be classified as "specialty dining", just a "fee restaurant" like Johnny Rockets and Cups & Scoops. The food was fine but it isn't really a special dining experience...average food, average service, noise from Boardwalk and Aqua Theater. Had we gone for lunch, I'd have been happy. Dinner? No. I'll pay a bit more for a true specialty restaurant or eat in the MDR.

I really liked Rita's Cantina. Never tried Sabor yet? It would be interesting to hear from someone who's been to BOTH and can compare.

One of the things my daughter especially loved was it was a fun and interactive place. Food and drinks were also great.

Your description is perfect. When we went we didn't expect it to compare to the likes of Chops, but we did to JRs. We loved it but went in knowing it was casual. I guess after eating at the old seafood shack I guess we knew what to expect.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your cruise.:)

We ate at Sabor for lunch ($15) 2 weeks ago while aboard Freedom- it was amazing! We didn't know what to expect, but the food and service were 5 star. They brought a cart over and made homemade guacamole right in front of us, including peeling and mashing the avocado. The homemade salsa and homemade tortilla chips filled us up while we waited for the appetizers. They brought a sampling of all of them- so much food we had no idea where we were going to put the main course! HUGE portions (none of us finished ours) for the entrees and then they brought a big dessert sampler. If that was lunch, I can't imagine how big the dinner portions are. We were so stuffed that 5 hours later at dinner, none of us were hungry. It was the best food we ate on the ship the whole week- and for $15pp, it couldn't be beaten!

We made those lunch reservations the night before and the place was empty when we were there. I'm sure there will be room for you when you are onboard.

I really liked Rita's Cantina. Never tried Sabor yet? It would be interesting to hear from someone who's been to BOTH and can compare.

One of the things my daughter especially loved was it was a fun and interactive place. Food and drinks were also great.

Having eaten at both multiple times out family votes for Sabor. We ate at Rita's two times in March and commented how we were looking forward to Sabor this May on Allure. The food quality was better in our opinions, however food is subjective.

We ate at Sabor for lunch ($15) 2 weeks ago while aboard Freedom- it was amazing! We didn't know what to expect, but the food and service were 5 star. They brought a cart over and made homemade guacamole right in front of us, including peeling and mashing the avocado. The homemade salsa and homemade tortilla chips filled us up while we waited for the appetizers. They brought a sampling of all of them- so much food we had no idea where we were going to put the main course! HUGE portions (none of us finished ours) for the entrees and then they brought a big dessert sampler. If that was lunch, I can't imagine how big the dinner portions are. We were so stuffed that 5 hours later at dinner, none of us were hungry. It was the best food we ate on the ship the whole week- and for $15pp, it couldn't be beaten!

We made those lunch reservations the night before and the place was empty when we were there. I'm sure there will be room for you when you are onboard.

Sabor on the Freedom and Navigator are completely different than Sabor on Oasis. The menu on the smaller ships is more extensive, it's a set fee instead of a la carte, and the ambience (being inside and closed in) is completely different than the open air Sabor on the Oasis.

Hi Nick!

We've eaten at both (Rita's Cantina on Allure and Sabor on Oasis). Location is same (on port side across from Johnny Rockets) on the boardwalk. We like the "fiesta" atmosphere and service better at Rita's but the ala carte pricing and food better at Sabor. We'd eat at either one again but for just for lunch.

Hope to cruise w/you and Barb again some time,

Ruth

Your description is perfect. When we went we didn't expect it to compare to the likes of Chops, but we did to JRs. We loved it but went in knowing it was casual. I guess after eating at the old seafood shack I guess we knew what to expect.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your cruise.:)

We liked it so much we booked Oasis again while onboard :)

We liked it so much we booked Oasis again while onboard :)

Glad to hear. We won't be on her for a while, but you can bet we will return to her again. We have Allure, Harmony and Indy waiting in the wings.

On a side note I also like your CC name. I might not be a son of a son of a sailor but I sure like boat drinks before we hit landfall.;)

Sabor on the Freedom and Navigator are completely different than Sabor on Oasis. The menu on the smaller ships is more extensive, it's a set fee instead of a la carte, and the ambience (being inside and closed in) is completely different than the open air Sabor on the Oasis.

Yes, on the Navigator last week it was absolutely fantastic. We did dinner the first night... and then had to once more at the end. Food was excellent. We also had Chops one night which was good, but in my opinion the experience at Sabor was better.

We really like the idea of trying Sabor on our forthcoming Allure cruise. Does anyone know if the Diamond+ BOGO offer is available at Sabor and how it works, since it's a pay per item restaurant?

Edited by Bobal

We really like the idea of trying Sabor on our forthcoming Allure cruise. Does anyone know if the Diamond+ BOGO offer is available at Sabor and how it works, since it's a pay per item restaurant?

For Oasis it is a pay for item restaurant. I can't remember if it had a small enterance fee or not. DW doesn't remember either.;)

EDIT: on the first night they gave us 20% off and weren't D+ at that point in time. We returned another night during the cruise and they gave us 20% off again. I am not certain if they would take the BOGO as it is pay per item.

Edited by A&L_Ont
Brain didn't connect to the fingers.

On a side note I also like your CC name. I might not be a son of a son of a sailor but I sure like boat drinks before we hit landfall.;)

We've found many others on cruises who are committed to "growing older but not up" :D It's a great way of life!

For Oasis it is a pay for item restaurant. I can't remember if it had a small enterance fee or not. DW doesn't remember either.;)

EDIT: on the first night they gave us 20% off and weren't D+ at that point in time. We returned another night during the cruise and they gave us 20% off again. I am not certain if they would take the BOGO as it is pay per item.

There was no cover charge when we were on the Oasis in November.

I thought it was just me who wasn't impressed. We tried it on the Oasis as well and I thought the food was fine, but definitely not as good as I was expecting based upon the feedback here on CC. I did enjoy the guacamole, but felt the service and food were both just ok. We did Rita's Cantina on the Allure and while the food wasn't any better, I enjoyed the party and dancing atmosphere much more.

There was no cover charge when we were on the Oasis in November.

We were drawing a blank, so thanks for the info. We were on her the week after you so there would have been no change in 7 days.

Andrew