Port of Tampa fog this morning....

manders175

So I notice the BOTS is still not back in port this morning. I know the fog was horrible. What time do they usually get back in when the fog is that bad?

Just curious. Thanks everyone.

I'm sailing her in 10 days so I guess the morning fog is still a possibility?

So I notice the BOTS is still not back in port this morning. I know the fog was horrible. What time do they usually get back in when the fog is that bad?

The last time we got fogged out of the bay on Brilliance, we didn't dock until 2PM

Yes, 'tis the season. I live in Tampa..

We are sitting here in the hotel waiting on any news about the Brilliance, so far we haven't gotten any news.

We can't change the weather so we will just roll with the flow.

So excited to sail on the Brilliance.......now if we could just get it here...;)

We sailed out of Tampa 2/2013. We were able to enter the channel back to the port around 12pm and docked around 4pm. Finally got in our car and back on the road at 6pm. The worst thing for us was everyone getting off ths ship at once. Not staggered like a normal morning debarking would be. We were on NCL Dawn and had what would have been the next cruise's poolside lunch as well as free drinks and use of computers to reschedule flights, etc.

We sail Brilliance on Saturday. I told BF we should get the later flight home just in case, but no...Oh well. We'll just play it by ear, I guess.

I've come to the conclusion after sailing out of Tampa several times that it doesn't much matter if your flight is scheduled for 11:00 or 2:00, you are still likely going to miss it if there is fog.

It seems as though most of the time that there is fog the ship doesn't get in until between noon and 4:00, so you'd probably need to have a very late flight to make it.

From the RCI website a few minutes ago:

Important Alert

Delay - Brilliance of the Seas

February 23, 2015

9:00 a.m. E.S.T

The Tampa area is still experiencing dense fog and Brilliance of the Seas has not begun its transit to the port. Once the fog lifts, and the ship begins its journey to Tampa, it will take four hours reach the pier. We will then need a few hours to disembark our guests currently onboard the ship.

Because space in the cruise terminal at the Port of Tampa is very limited, we ask that guests scheduled to sail on Brilliance of the Seas today, Monday, February 25, not arrive to port until we are ready to begin check in and boarding. We will be providing regular updates on our website - http://www.royalcaribbean.com - as well as through e-mails and text messages.

As a gesture of goodwill, and to thank guests for their understanding, Royal Caribbean will provide each guest with a $20 credit to their onboard account to cover lunch in Tampa and any incidental cost they might incur due to the delay in boarding.

Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor weather conditions in Tampa and will update this information again at 12:00 p.m.

From the RCI website a few minutes ago:

Important Alert

Delay - Brilliance of the Seas

February 23, 2015

9:00 a.m. E.S.T

The Tampa area is still experiencing dense fog and Brilliance of the Seas has not begun its transit to the port. Once the fog lifts, and the ship begins its journey to Tampa, it will take four hours reach the pier. We will then need a few hours to disembark our guests currently onboard the ship.

Because space in the cruise terminal at the Port of Tampa is very limited, we ask that guests scheduled to sail on Brilliance of the Seas today, Monday, February 25, not arrive to port until we are ready to begin check in and boarding. We will be providing regular updates on our website - http://www.royalcaribbean.com - as well as through e-mails and text messages.

As a gesture of goodwill, and to thank guests for their understanding, Royal Caribbean will provide each guest with a $20 credit to their onboard account to cover lunch in Tampa and any incidental cost they might incur due to the delay in boarding.

Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor weather conditions in Tampa and will update this information again at 12:00 p.m.

Thanks for the update. I can only imagine the frustration for those getting off and those who will be getting on later today. We are staying an extra night in Tampa once the ship gets back just in case something like this happens. I think this is the buckeye cruise that was supposed to be getting back today.

I've come to the conclusion after sailing out of Tampa several times that it doesn't much matter if your flight is scheduled for 11:00 or 2:00, you are still likely going to miss it if there is fog.

It seems as though most of the time that there is fog the ship doesn't get in until between noon and 4:00, so you'd probably need to have a very late flight to make it.

First time cruising out of Tampa. Luckily we gave ourselves a few days to get back. I'm checking with my credit card company to see what my travel protection benefits are. It wouldn't be too terrible to be in Tampa another day.

And yes, it is the Buckeye Cruise. I hate the Buckeyes and all they stand for, but even I feel bad for the folks on the ship.

Edited by bluegirlum

Fogs, like those here in Ohio can vary. The need visibility to meet a certain standard before they are allowed. Are you flying in the night before? It might be worth checking online or making a phone call if you get up and the area is foggy.

Fogs, like those here in Ohio can vary. The need visibility to meet a certain standard before they are allowed. Are you flying in the night before? It might be worth checking online or making a phone call if you get up and the area is foggy.

Yep we are flying in the day before so we will be awake and anxiously waiting to get to the pier... :) I'll also be pulling up the webcam to make sure everything is good.

Just looked at the webcam and it looks clear now. Are there any other ships due in today' date=' does anyone know? Expecting dsil and dbil later today from a cruise into Tampa. Dh never thought to ask which cruiseline :rolleyes:. I guess it doesn't really matter...fog is fog for everyone.[/quote']

Brilliance is the only cruise ship scheduled to be in port today and still not back...

Just looked at the webcam and it looks clear now. Are there any other ships due in today' date=' does anyone know? Expecting dsil and dbil later today from a cruise into Tampa. Dh never thought to ask which cruiseline :rolleyes:. I guess it doesn't really matter...fog is fog for everyone.[/quote']

Unfortunately, there's no way to know how bad the fog is outside the bay, and they can't navigate the channel in dense sea fog.

One thing for sure, if they had to stop outside the marker, those Ohio State folk didn't get much sleep. When we were stuck out there, they blew the fog horns every 15 minutes all night long:eek:

Edited by orville99

Unfortunately, there's no way to know how bad the fog is outside the bay, and they can't navigate the channel in dense sea fog.

One thing for sure, if they had to stop outside the marker, those Ohio State folk didn't get much sleep. When we were stuck out there, they blew the fog horns every 15 minutes all night long:eek:

I'll bet they were...they aren't even showing up on radar yet!