Past Guest Party

geomapper

Does Princess host a party similar to Carnival's VIFP Party (complimentary drinks and appetizers)? We will on our 2nd 7-day cruise with Princess in April. Just wondering.

Yes, as long as you're Gold or above, you'll be invited to the Captain's Circle party. 'Course some folks here will denigrate the party, but hey, it's your cruise. Go and enjoy. :)

If you're gold or have cruised once before with Princess, there'll be a party and you'll be given a voucher for a free drink. The party similar to Carnival's is reserved for platinum and elite passengers.

Nina...is this a recent change because I've only received a drink voucher on short cruises without a party.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Nina...is this a recent change because I've only received a drink voucher on short cruises without a party.

No, not recent... but, of course, you haven't been gold in a very long time. Gold members do get their own party... and one drink voucher. I think Princess started to do this because of the number of platinum and elite passengers.

No, not recent... but, of course, you haven't been gold in a very long time. Gold members do get their own party... and one drink voucher. I think Princess started to do this because of the number of platinum and elite passengers.

It is actually for Gold and Ruby members. It is held in the Princess Theater with no drinks being served during the "party." The coupon can be used at bars elsewhere on the ship.

It is actually for Gold and Ruby members. It is held in the Princess Theater with no drinks being served during the "party." The coupon can be used at bars elsewhere on the ship.

Thanks for the clarification & will remember it in the future. :o

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yes, as long as you're Gold or above, you'll be invited to the Captain's Circle party. 'Course some folks here will denigrate the party, but hey, it's your cruise. Go and enjoy. :)
I won't denigrate it but will say that I have avoided it like the plague for years. :)

Doesn't sound like much of a party, trapped in the theater with no free booze. I remember when a gold party was fun!

Going to the Platinum and elite party is one if those crazy cruise traditions we look forward to...along with the gift shop sale at the end of the cruise in the dining room. Have had many a giggle over some of the odd stuff for sale!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Yes they do have those parties and there will be free drinks and some snacks. But quite a few of us "old salts" avoid those parties like the plague. On most of our Princess cruises there will be over 2000 folks heading to those parties (there are usually 2) and there are often long lines (to meet some of the officers), flat/warm sparkling wine (which they inappropriately call Champagne), red or white wine, and perhaps a few warm martinis. It is possible to order a drink from one of the waiter, but they are usually very busy, overwhelmed, and there is no guarantee they will ever get back to your with your drink of choice. So while most of the ship is off to those parties, DW and I are usually sitting at our favorite bar, enjoying our favorite cocktails, and chatting with a few other passengers who also appreciate not going to the parties :). All that being said, it is a nice gesture on the part of the cruise line and I guess there are some folks that will do nearly anything for a free drink :).

Hank

At least there is a place to sit unlike the crowded "champagne" waterfall in the atrium or what I've read about the anniversary balloon drop in the atrium with a couple of discount coupons resulting in shoving to get a "winning" balloon...I won't be anywhere near either of these events. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

The gold/ruby "parties" that I've been to in the theatre include music, some drawings for some champagne. And One attendee gets picked to be "Elite" for the cruise.

Plus, on the way out you get your drink vouchers.

It is worth it for the vouchers alone.

Each time we've gone to the Captain's Circle party, it's been a different experience. From getting a handshake from the captain as our photo was taken (in 2004) and the trays with drinks and canapes well circulated. To getting a wave from the captain in short sleeves (we got there a bit late as we were dropping off our kid at the kids' room) but ended up sitting on the side and having to wave to a server who seemed to be ignoring our area -- in order to get a drink. Then, there were three separate parties, but it wasn't divided according to loyalty levels as we were sitting with a couple with elite status from our roll call. I can't remember the next one, but two years ago at our most recent one, it was for gold members and we each got a drink voucher.

An advantage to the voucher is that you can redeem it at any bar for whatever drink at that price range (it wasn't even for the cheapest drinks) while at the party, the drinks tended to be watered down. But then you have to listen to the sales pitch sober (unless you fortified yourself ahead of time).

We love going to the platinum/elite party usually in the club fusion area. They announce the top cruisers (not us by any measurement!) and we usually can hear the captain say a few words. Some of them are really funny to listen to. Crowds don't bother us as long as they are orderly which they always are on Princess. We always make it a point to go. Now the evening platinum/elite lounge is another story and often we avoid it as it is over crowded. We instead opt for some nice wine we brought and munchies from the HC on our balcony while we watch the sun set.

Edited by satxdiver