Solstice - starting to change over to Concierge class

Langley Cruisers

Booked for May on Solstice to Alaska. Our TA informed us today that the cabin we are booked in (9107) is slated to become a Concierge class cabin, therefore we are faced with two choices: stay where we are and pay an additional $900.00 each, or be moved to another cabin in the same category. We moved. :)

Anyway, just wanted to report that the changes have begun and passengers on future sailings may expect to be contacted. Not sure how many or which cabins are affected, but did want to mention it.

Wow...I didn't know about this.

Personally, I think it is unfair for them to make you pay more to stay in the same cabin. You reserved the cabin prior to it being Concierge, and they should honor that and let you stay at no additional cost.

Just my two cents...:cool:

Btw, what is causing these changes? Is it the new suite restaurant??

Edited by red919

Agreed, thanks everyone. I wasn't looking for anything, just wanted to make others aware of the changes. Apparently they are changing some balcony cabins into Concierge class cabins - so no structural changes but more perks and a heckuva lot more money. I half-heartedly said to my husband a wee bit of onboard credit might have been a nice gesture, but you've made me rethink this! LOL!

We have a nice cabin on the hump now, we are happy. :) First Celebrity cruise after several other lines. Looking forward to this!

That is just NOT right!! You booked in good faith and they are being extremely arbitrary to tell you at this late date that your cabin will now cost $900 more!! I have never heard of such shoddy business practices. I'd make big stink if I were in your shoes, just not fair at all. In this case, it IS the principle!!!

I wonder if this is the brainchild of the new CEO??? Bad form, Celebrity!!!

Beware everyone, if you have a booking on Celebrity in the future, this could happen to YOU!!

Edited by CathyCruises

If you have a hump cabin, then you will have a fantastic balcony, at least. Don't know what you had before.

But I still think it is wrong what they did. Very wrong.

There is a difference in a hump cabin (1B) and an angled cabin (1A), with the larger veranda's. Hopefully, the OP upgraded to the 1A and has a larger veranda. ;)

I checked Celebrity's website for the Solstice deck plans. They have two sets of dates for the deck plans. As CHEZMARYLOU says, the 01 May 2015 to 07 May 2017 plans still shows those 1B's as 1B's...9107 included.

Having said that, OP, your hump location will be more preferable to the forward bow area. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

There is a difference in a hump cabin (1B) and an angled cabin (1A), with the larger veranda's. Hopefully, the OP upgraded to the 1A and has a larger veranda. ;)

I checked Celebrity's website for the Solstice deck plans. They have two sets of dates for the deck plans. As CHEZMARYLOU says, the 01 May 2015 to 07 May 2017 plans still shows those 1B's as 1B's...9107 included.

Having said that, OP, your hump location will be more preferable to the forward bow area. ;)

Oh, my mistake! You are right. In that case I would be really pissed off about this move, especially so close to sailing date too. I wouldn't let this go so easily. It is so wrong.

Booked for May on Solstice to Alaska. Our TA informed us today that the cabin we are booked in (9107) is slated to become a Concierge class cabin, therefore we are faced with two choices: stay where we are and pay an additional $900.00 each, or be moved to another cabin in the same category. We moved. :)

Anyway, just wanted to report that the changes have begun and passengers on future sailings may expect to be contacted. Not sure how many or which cabins are affected, but did want to mention it.

Karen,

I'm not sure if there was a particular reason you chose 9107 in the first place...to me, it's a little too far forward...I prefer to be a lot closer to midship for convenience sake...

So, IMHO, if you got another 1B cabin, you'll probably be just fine...no big deal...

Now, if you ended up with a cabin on the slant, then, way better...those have balconies that are 1.5 to 2.5 times the size of a standard balcony...

"Hump" is a term that applies better to RCCL than to Celebrity...Those ships curve or with a semicircular hump. On Celebrity S-class ships, all of the cabins that show as having a straight parallel line along the rail edge of the ship are basically the same...It's just the ones that show on the deck plans with a diagonal line that have the extra large balconies...If you got one of those, you did very well...

Now, if you had booked a balcony midship some time ago...and they now wanted you to move to something fore or aft...or to a less desirable position (like directly below the pool deck), then I would have complained like high holy heck! I'd tell them that we had a contract for a specific cabin...and that I booked early especially in order to choose my particular cabin...That, if I wanted to be assigned a cabin late in the game, I might have found a cruise with a cheaper "guarantee" rate...

I think that argument might have borne some fruit...

I am guessing by 'hump cabin' the OP means on the flat part of the hump. . .I cannOT imagine that they would move them to a 1A, she specifically said 'in the same category'

. . .

I was hoping that the IP may have upgraded themselves. Not the TA upgrading them. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

Hi,

Did you enjoy the Grand?...been hearing some bad reports on it's condition..what is your take on it?

Oh, totally off topic. I see you were on the Grand with us last May. What a gong show that was getting on/off ship ;)

Maybe the TA is trying to make a quick $$$$$$.

Absolutely not. We trust her implicitly.

Here is my confusion, why would Celebrity make 9107 a Concierge Cabin. I can certainly see making midship cabins on lower decks CC, but a cabin in the front of the ship I don't understand.

I don't understand the specifics; we only have our TA's phone call from Celebrity explaining what was being done and the two choices we were given. Our TA spent an inordinate amount of time on the phone today with many passengers because of "all the changes" over this. *shrug*

Steve, we did specifically choose 9107 and don't (didn't!!) mind being that far forward. But I just checked now and it is available as a 1B, not a Concierge class cabin. I'm so confused! :p

You all are great. Thanks for the support, everyone. I choose not to be upset over it. :)

Hi LabGuy64, I am here now and will also answer you. The Grand was lovely, in very good shape - a beautiful ship. I would have no problem spending longer on her. Our problem on that specific cruise was that it was a one-night coastal, and embarkation and disembarkation were an absolute gong show for various reasons. We will never do a one-nighter again - just not worth it, for us.

Steve, we did specifically choose 9107 and don't (didn't!!) mind being that far forward. But I just checked now and it is available as a 1B, not a Concierge class cabin. I'm so confused! :p

I would think that it's too soon for the deck plans to be altered, especially on the web site, which is not known for being updated.

If they had some style, the would leave you in that cabin.

I have a slightly different view of the situation, and think a relocation sounds reasonable in this circumstance (although of course undesirable).

That said, it's still unclear what's going on in terms of changes so until that becomes clear, not much point exploring further.