Canadian Cruisers...Your Opinions Please

terri-eddie

My family and I are flying from Halifax to Miami for our cruise, with a connection in Toronto.

We only have one hour in Toronto before our second flight leaves.

In the past, we have had to get off the plane, walk through endless hallways to the baggage claim area, wait for luggage from our flight to be off-loaded, find our suitcase, take it to another baggage check-in area to be re-loaded for the next flight, then head upstairs to go through Customs before going to the gate for our connecting flight.

I'm seriously doubting that we will have time to complete all that in the narrow time frame, and I'm thinking about trying to stuff everything into carry-on bags instead, even though that will mean leaving some things behind.

Has anyone else tried and succeeded in getting through YYZ in such a short amount of time? Encourage me, please, or tell me the carry-on idea is best.

I think it's because of crossing the border. When we leave Halifax we're heading to Toronto...same country. From Toronto we're headed to Miami...crossing the border. We have to go through Customs at that time also.

I usually get flights that connect in Boston, or some other American city, if I can't get a direct flight. That way we can do customs before leaving Halifax, saving time later.

We've never had to pick up bags from one flight to the other...the airlines shift the luggage to the next flight......maybe it's different in Canada????

On international flights when you go through passport control and customs you have to claim your luggage before going through customs. They do this just in case they decide to search your luggage. At BWI airport in Baltimore, as soon as you clear customs, they have a Southwest Counter so you can check you baggage on to your connecting flights.

My family and I are flying from Halifax to Miami for our cruise, with a connection in Toronto.

In the past, we have had to get off the plane, walk through endless hallways to the baggage claim area, wait for luggage from our flight to be off-loaded, find our suitcase, take it to another baggage check-in area to be re-loaded for the next flight, then head upstairs to go through Customs before going to the gate for our connecting flight.

I'm seriously doubting that we will have time to complete all that in the narrow time frame, and I'm thinking about trying to stuff everything into carry-on bags instead, even though that will mean leaving some things behind.

Has anyone else tried and succeeded in getting through YYZ in such a short amount of time? Encourage me, please, or tell me the carry-on idea is best.

In some airports your luggage to brought for pick up just after passing thru US Customs. You carry it about 50 ft and put it on another conveyer belt to go the plane. This so you can identify the correct luggage the you own.

In Vancouver this is done with a video camera .

On one of our cruises we flew from Ottawa > Toronto > FLL.

On arriving in Toronto/YYZ we just had to make our way to the US Connections area. The luggage was automatically redirected to a US TSA scanning area. We did not have to physically pick it up.

We had to wait in the Connections area and watch a monitor which showed the names of people whose luggage had been screened and let through. At that point we were able to go to US immigration and head to our gate.

We were also a little concerned about the procedure, but it went very smoothly and wouldn't worry about doing it again.

Just a bit of a disclaimer, I have no way of knowing if all passengers that are connecting through YYZ to US destinations go through the same process.

Hope you have the same experience as we did.

When is your cruise? I would seriously rebook another flight. If your plane is delayed even 5 minutes at take off, has heavy head winds that delay arrival in Toronto and you have seats in the middle or the rear of the plane, you are down to 30 minutes. Your plane has to land and deplane all passengers and luggage. You have to wait for your luggage to be unloaded in the pick up area, then go through Customs and get to another gate and board a plane. Remember, your flight to Miami will not be closing the door an hour after you land, it will be screaming down a run way about to take off. Book another flight.

Two weeks ago we flew AC from Ottawa to Miami, direct. We arrived at the airport early to discover that our flight was delayed over three hours. They couldn't find a plane for us.

Returning, we were 25 minutes delayed leaving as someone accidentally unplugged the plane. The plane had to rebooted. When we landed in Ottawa, another plane was at our gate and we had to wait for the ground crew to fInish unloading that plane and then push it out of the way before we could deplane. There are lots of reasons why a plane may not arrive on time.

If you can do all carry-on, I would. Terminal One at YYZ is a zoo, Customs is worse.

It's only a cruise what chothes do you need anyways- shorts, tees, bathing suit and toiletries. Bingo - you are good to go!:D

Edited by DirtyDawg

Done this several times in recent months. One hour does not seem enough to me, although if you booked your tix through the same airline for both legs of the trip, they are saying you can make it (although if you rely on an airline for truth, you are crazy).

The process you describe is true. You will have to get baggage off your original flight, haul it yourself possibly a long way, check it in and get yourself through American customs (could take awhile). No I don't think you can make it. Honestly.

Bring it all in carry-on, or re-book and get a later flight.

Agree with those who are leery of the tight window. If there is any way you can change this flight, I would advise you to do so. You will go through U.S. pre-clearance in Toronto. Do you all have Nexus? Seems that might be the only way you will make it through in the hour, assuming your flight lands on time.

I feel your pain - going through YYZ is awful, but necessary for you. If at all possible, go with your carry-on packed to the max weight and also bring a lightweight backpack for anything extra(you can pack a ton of things in it). You can always pick up toiletries, and other necessities at your embarkation port (assuming you are arriving at least a day ahead), rather than trying to carry shampoo/conditioner/shave cream/deodorant/toothpaste, etc, in your preciously-small space.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

On one of our cruises we flew from Ottawa > Toronto > FLL.

On arriving in Toronto/YYZ we just had to make our way to the US Connections area. The luggage was automatically redirected to a US TSA scanning area. We did not have to physically pick it up.

We had to wait in the Connections area and watch a monitor which showed the names of people whose luggage had been screened and let through. At that point we were able to go to US immigration and head to our gate.

We were also a little concerned about the procedure, but it went very smoothly and wouldn't worry about doing it again.

Just a bit of a disclaimer, I have no way of knowing if all passengers that are connecting through YYZ to US destinations go through the same process.

Hope you have the same experience as we did.

I hope that is the method used for all connecting flights now. Last year it was as I described initially. But you have given me hope!

When is your cruise? I would seriously rebook another flight. If your plane is delayed even 5 minutes at take off, has heavy head winds that delay arrival in Toronto and you have seats in the middle or the rear of the plane, you are down to 30 minutes. Your plane has to land and deplane all passengers and luggage. You have to wait for your luggage to be unloaded in the pick up area, then go through Customs and get to another gate and board a plane. Remember, your flight to Miami will not be closing the door an hour after you land, it will be screaming down a run way about to take off. Book another flight.

I neglected to mention...we are flying on Saturday, the day before the cruise, so I'm not worried about being late for sail away. I'm just worried that we'll have to take a later flight out of Toronto.

I'm convinced that carry-on only is the way to go. My only concern with that is...we are all plus-sized people, so even the minimum amount of clothing does not fold as small as it needs to!

If you notice a big woman wearing the same three shirts on Breeze....you'll know it's me!

I hope that is the method used for all connecting flights now. Last year it was as I described initially. But you have given me hope!

I'm not sure what airline you are flying or therefore which terminal you will be using.

Here is an airport link and you can insert your own information.

It will then give you the whole procedure to follow to get to your connecting flight.

http://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#

I'm convinced that carry-on only is the way to go. My only concern with that is...we are all plus-sized people, so even the minimum amount of clothing does not fold as small as it needs to!

If you notice a big woman wearing the same three shirts on Breeze....you'll know it's me!

You know what? Nobody will notice at all - you rarely run into the same people throughout the course of your vacation. A hint to packing in a carry-on, pack flat in either extra large zip-locks or real space bags, then squeeze all the air out of them - sitting on them, rolling on them, whatever you need to. You will be able to get more than you ever imagined possible into your carry-on. Just be sure to roll it along as if it doesn't weigh about 50 pounds, though! Make use of the ship's laundry service and it's amazing how little you will really have to pack. A simple black skirt/pants and a few tops will carry you through evenings in the dining room, a swimsuit & cover-up, a couple of sundresses or shorts & t-shirts, underclothes, and you are good to go!

I'm not sure what airline you are flying or therefore which terminal you will be using.

Here is an airport link and you can insert your own information.

It will then give you the whole procedure to follow to get to your connecting flight.

http://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#

Thank you for that link! It sounds as if we will not have to pick up our checked bags. We're flying Air Canada all the way.

You know what? Nobody will notice at all - you rarely run into the same people throughout the course of your vacation. A hint to packing in a carry-on, pack flat in either extra large zip-locks or real space bags, then squeeze all the air out of them - sitting on them, rolling on them, whatever you need to. You will be able to get more than you ever imagined possible into your carry-on. Just be sure to roll it along as if it doesn't weigh about 50 pounds, though! Make use of the ship's laundry service and it's amazing how little you will really have to pack. A simple black skirt/pants and a few tops will carry you through evenings in the dining room, a swimsuit & cover-up, a couple of sundresses or shorts & t-shirts, underclothes, and you are good to go!

Thank you for your comments. I have read that the weight limit for carry-ons is 22lbs, but I don't recall ever having our bags weighed, except for checked bags. I think I'll get some of those space-saver vacuum bags to help fit everything in.

Do you all have Nexus? Seems that might be the only way you will make it through in the hour, assuming your flight lands on time.

Well maybe, or maybe not. On my recent trip through the Ottawa International airport, my Nexus card got me into a separate lineup where the Nexus kiosks were not working well. We had to press our fingers on a finger pad that was not working. Meanwhile, regular pax were galloping thru US customs and onward toward their gates. After we finally cleared the special kiosks for us pre-cleared Nexus people, we were then directed to exactly the same lineups everyone else in the general lineup had been going through.

So how this went is: Paid money for Nexus card. Had to drive 150 km return in Canadian winter weather to have an interview to get Nexus card. Got Nexus card, and had to stand in line for a special Nexus kiosk while regular passengers were getting cleared. Finally got cleared out of Nexus line only to stand in same line where other people had been cleared before us. Got interviewed by US border employee, asking the same questions he asked all the regular passengers who had been behind us in line, and had now preceded us.

I think I gave up a lot of my private information to get this Nexus card, and now find out it gets me nothing. Except maybe more scrutiny.

Well maybe, or maybe not. On my recent trip through the Ottawa International airport, my Nexus card got me into a separate lineup where the Nexus kiosks were not working well...

Sorry to hear this but that was one instance. Your Nexus card is invaluable and can be used many, many places as I'm sure you know. Don't give up on it just yet. ;):)