When can Teens and Tweens Join Adults

Our first Royal Caribbean cruise will be at the end of this month (Navigator). We have only sailed Disney before, and what usually happens is that we never see our tween son except for meals, but our teenage daughter prefers to stick with us for adult and family-friendly activities. My question is, how many of the things she wants to do are open to 14-year-olds? We will (obviously) not visit the Solarium with her, but she is dying to attend the sushi class and play trivia games. She's an ice skater, so I'm hoping she will at least join the teens when they get exclusive access to the rink. We are both training for a half marathon in May, so it would be great if she could use the treadmills in the gym with me if it's too hot to run out on deck.

Any personal anecdotes you can share so we can be prepared for situations where she might have to sit out due to her age?

Also any tips for teens and tweens in general? I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

My best tip is to make sure she goes to the first teen get together. This is where she'll have a great opportunity to make friends - while everyone is new and no one knows each other. It's always the first evening in the teen area.

There is a Royal Caribbean age policy about the fitness center - I can't remember the age for using facilities with an adult but someone will surely post the age or the link.

My best tip is to make sure she goes to the first teen get together. This is where she'll have a great opportunity to make friends - while everyone is new and no one knows each other. It's always the first evening in the teen area.

There is a Royal Caribbean age policy about the fitness center - I can't remember the age for using facilities with an adult but someone will surely post the age or the link.

Fitness center is restricted to 16 and up, except for this exception:

*** Guests ages 13 to 15 may be permitted to utilize the FitnessCenter during certain times of the

day; provided the young guest is accompanied and supervised at all times by their parent or

guardian and provided a waiver of liability has been signed by the parent or guardian who is

present in the fitness center. See the Cruise Compass or contact Guest Services for the specific

FitnessCenter age restrictions on your cruise vacation

The Quest game is adults only. It is a late night activity and not kid-appropriate but I strongly recommend that you go. I won't tell you what it is and I suggest you don't find out too much about it as it is more fun the first time when you don't know what to expect. You can just watch or participate as you wish.

Comedians often have an early all ages show and then a late-night adults show where language and content are not for kids.

If your kids make friends early on you won't see them except at meal times. Teens typically hang out at the flowrider, pool, or sports court if not in the teen club. Tweens will probably be in organized kids activities. Otherwise, both are welcome to join you as most activities are all ages.

is there an age restriction on use of the jogging track?

not at all. in fact, on our NAV cruise, one of the sea days was spent watching 2 teen boys( I would say no more than 14) do some real honest jogging/cross country training

felt sorry for them, they kept having to dodge people who stood around blocking traffic and women who insisted on going at a snails pace with their strollers

at least the 'older' folks on their daily walk were steady, if slow

just be advised that it is SHORT and it takes several laps to get a mile.

My best tip is to make sure she goes to the first teen get together. This is where she'll have a great opportunity to make friends - while everyone is new and no one knows each other. It's always the first evening in the teen area. QUOTE]

This is excellent advice. That first meeting will help set the tone for the rest of the week. Here is another thing that worked great for my teen daughter on one of our cruises. She got on the roll call for our sailing and found out that there were a bunch of other teens that were going to be the same cruise. The teens started a Facebook page so they could all chat and plan things. Friendships were established long before the cruise even started. As it turned out a few of the families were all staying in the same hotel for a night pre-cruise so a bunch of the kids (and their parents) all got to meet each other before even getting on the ship.

My daughter is 13 and has always preferred to do more of the adult activities than hang out in the tween or teen clubs. She was so excited this past cruise to finally be old enough to go to the teen club, and she went the first night (we were on the Allure) and even tried to go again, but it just didn't click as her thing. She went to the trivia events, we went to karaoke, really only the adult comedy show would be off limits. My son, who is 15 usually likes the teen clubs as well, but he really didn't click with the one on this past cruise either. He went to some events and not others. Some nights he'd go with us to shows or activities, other nights he and my husband just would wander the ship, eat more, and then go back to the cabin and hang out.

There are even teen spa treatments your daughter can get! I don't think she'll feel left out of doing anything if she doesn't participate in the teen club!