ESTA Clarification _ UK Citizen

Killiepie

Hi. Title says it all. Have been issued with ESTA previously but as my passport has been renewed I require to re-apply. I am aware of the importance of providing accurate info in the application bit I am a little confused regarding one part of the questionaire;-

"Is your travel to the USA occurring in transit to another country"

If I say yes - no other questions on this subject

If I say no - required to fill in address details of where I am staying.

I will be flying into Charlotte on route to Miami Airport. Will be staying overnight in Miami then joining cruise in Fort Lauderdale next day for various Central American countries. Arriving back in Fort Lauderdale then spending six nights FortLauderdale/Miami Beach post cruise prior to return to UK.

Any thoughts. I would hate to be denied entry.

You should enter your Miami hotel as the address required for the ESTA, assuming that is where you will stay on your first night in the US. Once the ESTA has been approved there is no further need to update it each time you leave and re-enter the Country.

Hope this helps.

:)

We have been in the same position recently. You have to apply again and pay the fee. You can't update with a new passport. The advice given about giving your Miami hotel address is spot on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just got our new one approved for our Equinox cruise at the end of the month. As others have mentioned just put your precruise hotel details as your address in the US.

If you don't have one then put the cruise company HQ details as point of contact.

Hi. Title says it all. Have been issued with ESTA previously but as my passport has been renewed I require to re-apply. I am aware of the importance of providing accurate info in the application bit I am a little confused regarding one part of the questionaire;-

"Is your travel to the USA occurring in transit to another country"

If I say yes - no other questions on this subject

If I say no - required to fill in address details of where I am staying.

I will be flying into Charlotte on route to Miami Airport. Will be staying overnight in Miami then joining cruise in Fort Lauderdale next day for various Central American countries. Arriving back in Fort Lauderdale then spending six nights FortLauderdale/Miami Beach post cruise prior to return to UK.

Any thoughts. I would hate to be denied entry.

I am a USA citizen, but my partner carries/travels with a UK passport. When he enters the country on a flight for a cruise, I will do one of two things (depending on the situation). If he is flying in the morning of the cruise embarkation, then I list the cruise port name and city/state information. If he is flying in 1+ days prior to a cruise, I list the address of the location he is (we are) staying (be it a hotel, private residence, etc).

He does the renewal of the 2 year period of the ESTA in the 24th month prior to expiration so there is no gap between ESTA applications. He did not need to renew the ESTA when a passport was re-issued for another 10-year period. If the number would have changed (or other relevant information such as a name change, etc), then maybe that would be necessary to renew the ESTA.

Hope this helps.

I certainly could be wrong but the website states that an ESTA must be reapplied for when "a new" passport is issued. Isn't a reissued passport new? You couldn't get a first ESTA without a passport in the first place, I don't believe. The dates of issue and expiry dates would have changed on the "new" passport so that info would to me be significant. These things can be a little confusing.

I certainly could be wrong but the website states that an ESTA must be reapplied for when "a new" passport is issued. Isn't a reissued passport new? You couldn't get a first ESTA without a passport in the first place, I don't believe. The dates of issue and expiry dates would have changed on the "new" passport so that info would to me be significant. These things can be a little confusing.

I'm guessing you are making your question in reference to my post. I apologize if my wording in the post was misleading.

What I was trying to say is that when my partner's passport was due to expire at the end of 10 years, a passport renewal application was processed and a new passport showed up (all the same information and passport number as the old passport). A new ESTA application was not completed. Only when the ESTA two year period was coming due for renewal did we request a new two year ESTA. Hope this is clear now.

I had to get a new ESTA when my passport was renewed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you are making your question in reference to my post. I apologize if my wording in the post was misleading.

What I was trying to say is that when my partner's passport was due to expire at the end of 10 years, a passport renewal application was processed and a new passport showed up (all the same information and passport number as the old passport). A new ESTA application was not completed. Only when the ESTA two year period was coming due for renewal did we request a new two year ESTA. Hope this is clear now.

Are you sure is Passport # didn't change???

In the UK, the passport # changes upon renewal, I changed mine last year and got a new number. I also used to work at the passport office.

I was perusing "the fine print" of my upcoming cruise (I don't think I've done that before) and I noticed under the ESTA section that it stated that a printed copy of your ESTA must be presented upon checking in to the cruise. I was surprised at this is not supposed to be necessary when checking in for a flight.

I was perusing "the fine print" of my upcoming cruise (I don't think I've done that before) and I noticed under the ESTA section that it stated that a printed copy of your ESTA must be presented upon checking in to the cruise. I was surprised at this as is not supposed to be necessary when checking in for a flight.

Are you sure is Passport # didn't change???

In the UK, the passport # changes upon renewal, I changed mine last year and got a new number. I also used to work at the passport office.

Mine changed also and my DH had his renewed very recently. Definately had new passport numbers in both new passports.

Mine changed also and my DH had his renewed very recently. Definately had new passport numbers in both new passports.

Yes, new passport requires new ESTA ;).

A few weeks ago, I went online to update my DH's ESTA when he received his new (renewal) passport, that's when I discovered you have to apply for a totally new ESTA and pay again - you are not allowed to just update information such as passport numbers ;).

Yes, new passport requires new ESTA ;).

A few weeks ago, I went online to update my DH's ESTA when he received his new (renewal) passport, that's when I discovered you have to apply for a totally new ESTA and pay again - you are not allowed to just update information such as passport numbers ;).

So glad to see you on here as nearly emailed you earlier asking what the OP has asked.

If I'm reading this right, we tick the 'no' box as we're arriving the day before the cruise and then put our hotel as the address??

Thank you so much OP for clarifying something that gave me a headache!

Edited by Cooso

So glad to see you on here as nearly emailed you earlier asking what the OP has asked.

If I'm reading this right, we tick the 'no' box as we're arriving the day before the cruise and then put our hotel as the address??

Thank you so much OP for clarifying something that gave me a headache!

Correct. Put down your hotel as the address.

Airport security may ask you about your plans when you initially arrive in the US (has happened to us on a few occasions) - be honest and say you're staying at a hotel before taking a Caribbean cruise. They are usually fine ;).

I put no as stop spending a night in the US before my cruise from Miami in a few weeks. I didn't have a hotel so just put details not yet known. I was approved in ten minutes. Very easy though it asks a lot of unnecessary questions I found

I was perusing "the fine print" of my upcoming cruise (I don't think I've done that before) and I noticed under the ESTA section that it stated that a printed copy of your ESTA must be presented upon checking in to the cruise. I was surprised at this as is not supposed to be necessary when checking in for a flight.

Which cruise line is that for? You don't need an ESTA to cross a land border and living in Vancouver I fly out of the U.S. all the time. It's a bit ridiculous that they're asking for something for the cruise that I don't even need to enter the country.

The passport number on your ESTA MUST match the passport you are travelling with.

Believe me, having had to apply for a new passport [and matching new ESTA] because our passports were lost in the post applying for a visa, if the two do not match on their system the experience is not very pleasant, to say the least.

If you have to apply for a new passport because the other does not have six months left but has not yet expired, take all the details of that cancelled passport just in case there are difficulties at Immigration.

The answer to the above question is a "no" as you´re not in transit but have an overnight stay.

You may fill in the hotel address but ESTA acutally doesn´t need an address (it´s needed for the APIS / Secure Flight data which you have to provide to your airline). You can apply for ESTA even without having an upcoming trip. If you check closely ESTA may ask for your flight data but not for the date of your entry. So you may provide the flight number like BA1234 but they don´t ask you what day you arrrive. You also don´t have to update this kind of data.

wendychloecruiser,

Yes, the cruise lines say that you have to carry a print out of your ESTA confirmation with you. I´ve never been asked by the cruise line. But I had it happen in January that my airline (Air Berlin) did ask me at check in. Actually it´s not necessary to carry a print out as the airlines have to provide the data to the US authorities prior to the flight. So the airline has to wait for approval by the CBP prior to take off. Had this recently when there was a problem with one family. Our boarding was delayed more than an hour until this problem was solved. I usually carry the print out with me - in case someone wants to see it. I usually don´t need it.

steamboats

Which cruise line is that for? You don't need an ESTA to cross a land border and living in Vancouver I fly out of the U.S. all the time. It's a bit ridiculous that they're asking for something for the cruise that I don't even need to enter the country.

Rules travelling from Canada to the US are very different from travelling from any other country.

On a TA into the US, Celebrity request that you have an ESTA to ensure that there will be [i would like to say "no" but] fewer problems with US Immigration. I do not recall Celebrity asking about ESTA if you are sailing from the US.

It's my DH who needs the ESTA as he has only a British passport and we live in England. YOU don't need an ESTA presuming you are Canadian. Canadians don't need an ESTA in order to travel to the states. I have three passports, one being American, and therefore do not an ESTA but he does.