Ok, so I don't have a passport.

I know, I know. I will get one when I get back from my cruise, but in the mean time, do they wan't my original birth certificate, or will a copy work?

You need a certified copy of the BC plus a govt. issued photo ID.

Do you want to take the chance that the info is wrong

and be denied boarding??

This is a ROYAL CARIBBEAN BOARD-NOT CARNIVAL

Jack

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I don't know what this board would be without such input from yourself.

Edited by bwfoster15

Aside from the nominal cost, and it is good for 10 years, I have NEVER understood what is so difficult about getting a Passport. I'm, on my... alright, so many I do not remember! First was in 1964, and I'm due again in 2017.

From RCCL web site:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=329&faqSubjectName=Cruise+Documents&faqId=2814

A valid passport is a requirement for air travel to / from Canada, Mexico the Caribbean and Bermuda.

Effective June 1, 2009 only a valid passport (unless otherwise noted below) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States. For a list of all approved documents visit: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html#compliant_document

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

From RCCL web site:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=329&faqSubjectName=Cruise+Documents&faqId=2814

A valid passport is a requirement for air travel to / from Canada, Mexico the Caribbean and Bermuda.

Effective June 1, 2009 only a valid passport (unless otherwise noted below) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States. For a list of all approved documents visit: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html#compliant_document

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

I believe geocruiser has provided the correct answers (bolded above). A government issued BC appears to be fine (whether it's original or copy - certified or otherwise - isn't specified); if you're under 16, it must be an original, notarized or certified BC.

Edited by joepeka

This is from The US Dept of State

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/do-i-need.html

*"Closed-Loop" Cruises: If you are a U.S. citizen, and you board a cruise ship at a U.S. port, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship, you may present government-issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or certified copy of your birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

This is from The US Dept of State

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/do-i-need.html

*"Closed-Loop" Cruises: If you are a U.S. citizen, and you board a cruise ship at a U.S. port, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship, you may present government-issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or certified copy of your birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Isn't it great how the cruise line specifications and the State Dept specifications don't precisely line up (the original or certified copy discrepancy)? ;)

You can use a copy..but it must be issued by the state you were born in and have an official raised seal.....it is the seal that is important...you can't just put the original thru your copier.....every state is different in process and turnaround tine....good luck!

I knew that you were going to say that. Carnival said a copy was fine. I hate traveling with my original.

You can get as many certified copies as you want (for a fee, of course). But a photocopy will usually not be accepted.

Memphis is a big city. Do you have a passport office? I have seen folks go into Miami PP office and get issued one on the spot pleading hardship; immediate need for a passport.

Unless I misunderstood, I believe the OP is leaving tomorrow so I doubt this is an option even if the OP were willing.

I've used my birth certificate many times for cruising. I have 5 kiddos, so getting them each a passport is not very cost effective when the traveling they do is closed loop cruises and trips around the USA.

Have a great cruise. Enjoy the warm weather!!!

Edited by ckmommy

I know, I know. I will get one when I get back from my cruise, but in the mean time, do they wan't my original birth certificate, or will a copy work?

Get a certified true copy and leave the original at home.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I don't know what this board would be without such input from yourself.

Or from people who create threads to ask questions for which they already know the official answer, but they ask them anyway just so they can argue the point with other posters. :rolleyes:

As others have pointed out a CERTIFIED copy is what is needed..you can get many certified copies and leave your original at home..the certified copy, usually from health dept or vital records in your birth state, has a raised seal. Have a great cruise!!!!

From RCCL web site:

What's fun is that the official Royal answer gives an outdated link to a page. 404 errors are fun!

Meanwhile, over on cpb.gov (https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/kw/1139/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI1NzAzMzQ2L3NpZC92eXlKMkhnbQ%3D%3D/noIntercept/1), it says just a copy. :)

"U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate..."

And I've seen plenty of posts here and elsewhere that a copy is allowed (as in it WAS in fact allowed, the people did get onto the ship).

A lot of states no longer have "raised seal" birth certificates. I know Ga doesnt. It's a watermark. To be safe, board with the CERTIFIED copy you get directly from the county courthouse or Vital Records online. It's all about being certified. Not necessarily the raised seal.

No way would I risk bringing a copy I copied myself.

Edited by ryano