WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

Just FYI – the drink of the day, a sparkling mai tai was $7.75 , it seems that the drink of the day will be about that price.

Bob, a house margarita on the rocks is $10.

Beer starts at $5.50.

Had a very brief conversation with a bartender, and tells me the rise in drink prices is to convince passengers to get the beverage package.

Cheers, or maybe not.

Marci

I wouldn't mind getting the beverage package if you could find someone to bring you a drink. I started getting the beverage package when they first came out a few years ago, plenty of servers around the pool and in the dinning room. Since then, not so much. I'd rather it go back to the old way. No drink packages and more bar servers. The way it is now, they have your money and they make you do the the work of getting your drinks.

Also since the start of the beverage package have you noticed they no longer have the bar servers going around with trays of shooters after dinner, or is that just a coincidence

I have absolutely noticed that.

Just got off the Explorer on the 12th. My husband ordered a gin and tonic in the dining room and it was only $8 and change. Seems not all drinks are $10. I had the wine package at $20 a day, very reasonable in my opinion.
Is that a typo?

Nope.

The NEW grape and grain packages are $20 pppd +18%

They are about the only things that ARE reasonable which is why earlier in this thread I said I would only be drinking beer.

Simple drinks like rum and coke, Vodka and coke were $7.75 + tip on some ships, more on others. This was also discussed earlier.

Edited by icsys

Well thanks for clarifying your definition of a cocktail. It's a little easier to believe now that you make that distinction.
I'm with Big G. Alcohol and a mixer is a cocktail.

I'm with you - and Merriam Webster agrees with us too. :cool:

Rum and Coke

Vodka and 7

Whiskey and Coke

Gin and Tonic

Etc....

These are usually called Highballs

Drinks that have more then 2 ingredients (mixes or liquor) are usually called cocktails.

Merriam Webster says:

noun cock·tail \ˈkäk-ˌtāl\

Definition of COCKTAIL

1 a : an iced drink of wine or distilled liquor mixed with flavoring ingredients

Nope.

They are about the only things that ARE reasonable which is why earlier in this thread I said I would only be drinking beer.

Simple drinks like rum and coke, Vodka and coke were $7.75 + tip on some ships, more on others. This was also discussed earlier.

Tell me more about the grape and grain packages please. I only drink wine and my husband likes both beer and wine. I have not bought a beverage package because it seems like it would be a waste. Where do I find info on this new package? It is not listed on my cruise planner at all.

Also since the start of the beverage package have you noticed they no longer have the bar servers going around with trays of shooters after dinner, or is that just a coincidence

.....we were just on the Vision and asked for an after dinner shooter ( no beverage package ) and they really didn't respond and when pressed they finally appeared with a concoction that was awful....one and out for me......

Nope.

Thanks. I never heard of it.

Thanks. I never heard of it.

I've never heard of the Grape and Grain package either and since it's not listed as an option on the Cruise Planner beverage package list, maybe it's a limited time/limited ship offering to test it's popularity? :confused:

Just FYI – the drink of the day, a sparkling mai tai was $7.75 , it seems that the drink of the day will be about that price.

Beer starts at $5.50.

Had a very brief conversation with a bartender, and tells me the rise in drink prices is to convince passengers to get the beverage package.

Cheers, or maybe not.

Marci

If I can get a gin and tonic for $7.75 - I'm fine with that. Some posters seem to be so outraged that they threaten to change cruise lines because of drink prices. Is it "grass is greener" on the other side of the fence? What are drink prices in HAL or Princess?

The packages don't work for those of us who aren't heavy drinkers. The ones who are impacted by this the most are the ones who just drink anywhere from 1 to 4 drinks per day. I'm one of those and my response is going to be to just drink less. I guess it's a win for me. I will save money and stay healthier. Lol

It looks like I'll save a few bucks and stay healthier too! I don't drink enough to make the packages worth it no matter how high they raise the individual drink prices. I would spend $8 on an impromptu drink, but I would think twice when the price is over $10. I'll likely forego most of the occasional drinks that I would normally buy.

Don't see how this will push me to the package if my wife and I aren't drinking 5-6 a day. There are ways to keep costs more reasonable without locking into the price of the package.

I went back and forth on it, but no package for us on our cruise next month.

Same with us. No package. I loved my afternoon sangria but I will do without. We are booked for 2016 but are rethinking.

Just got off the Explorer on the 12th. My husband ordered a gin and tonic in the dining room and it was only $8 and change. Seems not all drinks are $10. I had the wine package at $20 a day, very reasonable in my opinion.

There's a wine package?

It looks like I'll save a few bucks and stay healthier too! I don't drink enough to make the packages worth it no matter how high they raise the individual drink prices. I would spend $8 on an impromptu drink, but I would think twice when the price is over $10. I'll likely forego most of the occasional drinks that I would normally buy.

Same with us. We're likely to not buy drinks at all.

Is there a maximum number of drinks you can order a day with the drink package?

We have never bought the package but are thinking about it for our cruise next Feb.

With the bogo offer available right now and the increase of drink prices it may be worth it to us.

Is there a maximum number of drinks you can order a day with the drink package?

We have never bought the package but are thinking about it for our cruise next Feb.

With the bogo offer available right now and the increase of drink prices it may be worth it to us.

There is no daily drink limit but the bartenders will keep an eye on passengers that appear to be... uh.... overdoing it. ;)

Beer starts at $5.50.

Cheers, or maybe not.

Marci

Can you confirm a grape or grain package being available? $5.50 beer is what 12oz bud how much 16oz miller light thanks in advance

It has taken me a few days to weigh in on this thread but I have been reading it with great interest.

My partner and I are doing a last big three month Europe holiday and have included two cruises one for 12 nights wit RCI and one for 7 with Cunard.

Now we are drinkers on holidays whether you say a 'big' drinker or not is your prospective. Compared to some yes other no.

Doing the figures (in Au$) a premium package for us both for the whole cruise is over $1800, now I can spin it lots of ways to 'justify' the price ie if we each drink so many drinks at so many $ the it's cheaper but the bottom line is I just don't want to spend that amount on alcohol. When you look at the fact we paid less then that each for the whole cruise it's outrageous.

The few cruisers I have been on before we felt the drink prices where reasonable and where happy to pay be it either in a package or by the drink. For us it's always worked out much the same give or take a $100. But we have never drank the price of a ticket on a cruise and am not going to start now.

So yes we will curb our drinking and look at other cheaper options ie bring the wine on board something we have not bothered with before or having a few at bar in port instead of going back to the ship earlier for a drink by the pool.

Will it ruin the cruise, no, for us this cruise is more about the ports than the cruise but in past cruises with groups of friend this would have been a much bigger issues for us as many a drink around the pool and in the piano Bar was indulged in.

Can we get them to lower the prices, probably not, can we chose to spend our money in a different way, yes.

I think the whole thing can be summed up by the fact no one wants to pay more tha they feel the vale of the item is to them. We are happy to pay fair and responsible prices after all it's a holiday but no one wants to have a bigger hangover from the price than the actual drinks.

Sylva.

We will be sailing on Rhapsody next month. With all this talk of increased drink prices does anyone actually have a list of current prices. Don't think I can justify the cost of a package for 11 nights when 5 days are spent in port.

We will be sailing on Rhapsody next month. With all this talk of increased drink prices does anyone actually have a list of current prices. Don't think I can justify the cost of a package for 11 nights when 5 days are spent in port.

I believe all drinks are $10 now.