WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

As with many things it's interesting how different people have different interpretation of things. I was just on the 2/28 sailing on Brilliance and had a really nice go of it when it came to drinks. When we (my wife and I) booked we got $250 of OBC. Since we weren't going to use that on anything else we decided to buy our drink packages on board instead of prepaying for them. (We would have bought packages in any case) The out-of-pocket for 2 premium packages was ~ $300.

We had really good service at the bars we went to. The R bar in particular was spectacular with their service and expertise. I never once worried or thought about any sort of menu that others have mentioned. I like Remy Martin Sidecars and I think the bartenders appreciated that. Not only did they make anything I or my wife requested, they came up with suggestions and made new things for me to try.

I completely understand that not everyone likes to drink and each person needs to decide what is right and wrong for them based upon their own unique set of values and finances. Given the fact that we take maybe 2 vacations a year, this is just part of the cost. I may not like it but it's really nice to be away from home and job and on a ship in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. The cost was totally worth it for me. That doesn't make me an RCI apologist or anything. It merely makes me a guy who likes to get away from time to time and have a few cocktails to go along with it.

while it seems reasonable to try to nudge people into buying the drink package I am thinking this pricing is going to have the opposite affect and lead more people to trying to sneak their booze on board. I tend to drink when I am on vacation so I decided to buy the drink package so this may or may not effect me depending on how they price the drinks i choose to have. however, to charge 10+ for a single shot well mixed drink borders on extortion.

People are going to smuggle alcohol regardless of the price of the cruise. Extortion? Really? Smh Royal isn't forcing anyone to buy anything. It's an option you have if you choose to buy it. It's your choice to sail with Royal so if you sail with Royal be prepared to pay if you want a drink package.

People are going to smuggle alcohol regardless of the price of the cruise. Extortion? Really? Smh Royal isn't forcing anyone to buy anything. It's an option you have if you choose to buy it. It's your choice to sail with Royal so if you sail with Royal be prepared to pay if you want a drink package.

On land we have different rules don't we? Gas stations aren't really allowed to just charge 3x the usual amount for gas, they'll get dinged for price gouging. Same difference no? Nobody makes us drive cars, we just choose to. Here in MI, and maybe it's just a state thing there are limits on what can be charged for different kinds of alcohol , at restaurants, and grocery stores (we don't have those silly state run beer/booze stores here). You can go to the touristy if towns and not really pay any more for a beer than anywhere else. Baseball and sports venues seem to be the exception.

I feel like it's okay to charge a premium for a product that's going to help bump your profits a bit, but it seems like at some point it's just ridiculous.

I imagine a bunch of people in crisp white shirts sitting around nice meeting table having a rousing session of "so, how can we make more money? We could just over charge for all the little extras!". I didn't know the cruise lines were using the Bank's and credit card company's play books. Interesting.

Edited by splash_in_the_water

And at what point is a drink package too much? I'd say somewhere over $50-$60 a day. That's about it. It's almost like they want to price people out of drinking, and just hope there's enough "well nobody is making you buy alcohol" people. Makes sense I guess, maybe they're tired of having to bring so much on every cruise , so they figure they'll just price it high and let ride.

Like anything else, if you can't make money on your base product , maybe you're not doing it right.

If prices stay around where they are now, I could see getting a drink package for a 3-5 nighter, but beyond that , well, probably not.

Edited by splash_in_the_water

I think increasing drink prices that much will backfire. It's a psychological ploy to get people to think the package is a good deal. For us, it's not, even with the higher priced drinks. Outside of the the DL happy hour, I might order one drink per day when we're poolside. We also bring two bottles of wine onboard and that's what I drink when I'm getting ready for dinner or just feel like one during the day. DH doesn't even do that everyday. Our last RCI cruise we had $150 obc and at the end of the cruise we owed 45 cents, yes cents. And that was only because we buy Starbucks coffee every day. We just got off Carnival, where the only free drink we got was the returning cruisers event and our bar bill at the end of 8 days was about $250, although Carnival drink prices were what we were used to paying on RCI, not the higher ones. Our upcoming Vision cruise, we have $250 obc to spend and on Anthem we have $150 (we book onboard previous cruises to get it). Our out of pocket on both trips will not be very high and we will NOT buy the drink packages.

Edited by BND

The drink packages and drink prices are worse for Aussies due to out falling dollar. But on an upcoming Asian cruise the ultimate package was $28AUD a day. Apparently RCI is pricing it low as traditionally Asian passengers do not drink a lot. Even the replenish package is $13AUD a day :)

The drink packages and drink prices are worse for Aussies due to out falling dollar. But on an upcoming Asian cruise the ultimate package was $28AUD a day. Apparently RCI is pricing it low as traditionally Asian passengers do not drink a lot. Even the replenish package is $13AUD a day :)

Now that's a good deal!:)

Maybe they're not trying to get everyone to go for the packages, just the Diamond, Diamond +, & Pinnacle. I know I've seen several posts here from people who say they'll only drink the free drinks but that won't do it for the big drinkers.....

On land we have different rules don't we? Gas stations aren't really allowed to just charge 3x the usual amount for gas, they'll get dinged for price gouging. Same difference no? Nobody makes us drive cars, we just choose to. Here in MI, and maybe it's just a state thing there are limits on what can be charged for different kinds of alcohol , at restaurants, and grocery stores (we don't have those silly state run beer/booze stores here). You can go to the touristy if towns and not really pay any more for a beer than anywhere else. Baseball and sports venues seem to be the exception.

I feel like it's okay to charge a premium for a product that's going to help bump your profits a bit, but it seems like at some point it's just ridiculous.

I imagine a bunch of people in crisp white shirts sitting around nice meeting table having a rousing session of "so, how can we make more money? We could just over charge for all the little extras!". I didn't know the cruise lines were using the Bank's and credit card company's play books. Interesting.

In downtown dc I once paid $15 for one Long Island iced tea. At a sporting event in Orlando I paid $20 for the same drink. It's not just cruise lines raising prices it's everywhere. Gas was 99 cents in 1999 if I'm correct and it was up to $3+ at one point. I didn't like that either but I made the choice to pay because I prefer to drive my car than take public transportation. There are lots of other choices besides Royal that people could choose if they are upset with the prices. For me, it is what it is. I got a great deal on my next cruise so I really can't complain. I can understand why people would be upset, but as long as the majority keeps paying then I doubt Royal will change.

The need to drive one's car along with the price of gas and the price of a drink are in someway related? I have to drive my car. Public transportation is pretty non-existant where I live. I don't have to, nor will I, pay $15-$20 for a drink. I would not enjoy the drink one bit feeling that I had been ripped off. But, hey, that is just me.

Edited by Ocean Boy

The need to drive one's car along with the price of gas and the price of a drink are in someway related? I have to drive my car. Public transportation is pretty non-existant where I live. I don't have to, nor will I, pay $15-$20 for a drink. I would not enjoy the drink one bit feeling that I had been ripped off. But, hey, that is just me.

Me either. I really look forward to having a few tropical drinks and pineapple juice/rums on vacation, nor do I really "watch" what I spend much either - and I wouldn't pay that for those drinks. Just on principle alone. I'd go without and get a few in port. That is insane.

I was just saying prices have gone up in other things that's all. It seems like some people think Royal is the only company raising prices.

Well I enjoyed the $15-20 drink just as much as I did a free drink. I work hard so I enjoy pampering myself every now and then because I deserve it. I try to keep a positive attitude in life and I always have a positive attitude on a cruise. [emoji3]

I was just saying prices have gone up in other things that's all. It seems like some people think Royal is the only company raising prices.

Well I enjoyed the $15-20 drink just as much as I did a free drink. I work hard so I enjoy pampering myself every now and then because I deserve it. I try to keep a positive attitude in life and I always have a positive attitude on a cruise. [emoji3]

I get what you are saying. We all enjoy different things in life and when on vacation. For me, alcohol and drinks are not that important. If they were maybe I wouldn't mind paying whatever it takes to get it though I doubt it. Last week on Indy I didn't even use all three of my C&A drinks each night so, obviously, I care little about alcohol.

I work hard too just as you do and I think I have a pretty positive attitude also. You can enjoy a $20.00 drink as much as a free drink. That is great. That is not my mentality. I don't like feeling like I am being ripped off whether I am home or on vacation. I am sure that the vacation industry appreciates people who let their hair down while on vacation and don't worry much about what they are spending or how much things cost. I don't happen to be one of those people.

I know that prices increase over time on most things. However, I would just say that price increases and being ripped off are just as unrelated as driving a car with its operating costs and having a drink.

I get what you are saying. We all enjoy different things in life and when on vacation. For me, alcohol and drinks are not that important. If they were maybe I wouldn't mind paying whatever it takes to get it though I doubt it. Last week on Indy I didn't even use all three of my C&A drinks each night so, obviously, I care little about alcohol.

I work hard too just as you do and I think I have a pretty positive attitude also. You can enjoy a $20.00 drink as much as a free drink. That is great. That is not my mentality. I don't like feeling like I am being ripped off whether I am home or on vacation. I am sure that the vacation industry appreciates people who let their hair down while on vacation and don't worry much about what they are spending or how much things cost. I don't happen to be one of those people.

I know that prices increase over time on most things. However, I would just say that price increases and being ripped off are just as unrelated as driving a car with its operating costs and having a drink.

Understood! [emoji3]

Seems like for most people the discussion is based on whether $10-12 seems out of line for a mixed drink. For me, that just seems to be what the going rate is for drinks...and I live in Iowa. The same holds true for what I find when I travel. I've seen drinks at pool bars in Vegas be upwards of $20 a pop.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a bar menu from one of the local places as an example. They make good drinks and they've been in the $10-12 range for a couple of years now. I guess that's why I'm not surprised at all by RCI prices...because it seems normal based on my experience. Like with most things, perspective and experience are going to influence the way you view the discussion.

Menu%201.jpg

Menu%202.jpg

In downtown dc I once paid $15 for one Long Island iced tea. At a sporting event in Orlando I paid $20 for the same drink. It's not just cruise lines raising prices it's everywhere. Gas was 99 cents in 1999 if I'm correct and it was up to $3+ at one point. I didn't like that either but I made the choice to pay because I prefer to drive my car than take public transportation. There are lots of other choices besides Royal that people could choose if they are upset with the prices. For me, it is what it is. I got a great deal on my next cruise so I really can't complain. I can understand why people would be upset, but as long as the majority keeps paying then I doubt Royal will change.

The comparison of costs is not that valid. Sporting events have always gouged and span only a few hours; DC has one of the highest average incomes in the nation (I lived in the area for 27 years without one of those high salaries:)). The price of gas 16 years ago is also not that relevant. That's 16 years of inflation and salary increases. The price of gas at over $4.00 is also currently in the past. What is the price of gas now; how much have consumer prices gone up recently? They haven't been climbing much in the past year. This is a 40% jump overnight.

To better compare what has happened, try this example. The price of gas where I live is $2.35. If it went up tomorrow to $3.29 even though the cost of a barrel of oil didn't go up at all, that would be a more valid comparison.

Another point that is completely separate is the 18% gratuity. Before any attack begins, I never remove tips and always tip the steward and waiters extra. I tip 25% or more in bars/restaurants at home, But $1.80 to $2.20 to make one drink is ridiculous. It is no harder to make than the drink that used to cost $7.75. RCI is also using this increase to fund a needed raise to staff without reaching into their own pockets.

Seems like for most people the discussion is based on whether $10-12 seems out of line for a mixed drink. For me, that just seems to be what the going rate is for drinks...and I live in Iowa. The same holds true for what I find when I travel. I've seen drinks at pool bars in Vegas be upwards of $20 a pop.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a bar menu from one of the local places as an example. They make good drinks and they've been in the $10-12 range for a couple of years now. I guess that's why I'm not surprised at all by RCI prices...because it seems normal based on my experience. Like with most things, perspective and experience are going to influence the way you view the discussion.

Menu%201.jpg

Menu%202.jpg

Please don't put up any bar menus from Miami lol!

On the Allure in July we paid $7.25 + 15% gratuity for absolut pear & club soda. After reading ALL the posts I am assuming those prices have not changed except for the 18% gratuity. Please correct me if I am wrong.

We were on the Oasis in January, at that tim a mudslide including the 15% came to $8.63. According to an above poster the cost of a mudslide is now $10.00 + 18%.

what makes me crazy about the high prices is that the cruise lines all buy their booze at "duty free" prices!!! So they are really, really making a profit.

I'll stick with Princess where the majority of drinks are still under $10:)

This will be our first Royal cruise. I hate to read this. I am not a big drinker and I have no intention of paying $15 for a weak drink that will melt before I finish it. This is really a dumb decision on somebody's part. First an increase in gratuities now a huge jump in prices. :( Maybe we should have stuck with Carnival.

Your screen name is now worth a whopping $30! :p

Sorry...couldn't resist.:cool: