Cancelled cruise: Constellation Feb. 29th and only $50 OBC

monicajay

I booked this cruise in July of 2014 because I'm a teacher and this is our school break so I like to book early.

I received a call from Celebrity last week (while I was traveling on the Summit) and they left a message saying this sailing has been chartered and that I would receive an e-mail outlining our options. Yes, I've been around long enough to know that ships get chartered.

Today, days later, I called as I had not received an e-mail only to find out that the only offers were for different dates of the same ship.

I called back only to find out that the only offer was to switch to the Reflection at the new prevailing rates and get an OBC of only $50 (per cabin not per person).

Since when I booked the Canadian dollar was at least 15 % higher than it is today AND had they at least notified me while I was on board the Summit I could have profited from some of the better deals booking on board, it is a bit disappointed to get only $50 .

Is this reasonable?

I wish they had told us while I was still on the Summit as I could have at least got a way better deal.

On top of it, I only had till Monday (March 16th) to make up my mind so for now I booked something but I'm still thinking this is not really a fair deal.

I booked this cruise in July of 2014 because I'm a teacher and this is our school break so I like to book early.

I received a call from Celebrity last week (while I was traveling on the Summit) and they left a message saying this sailing has been chartered and that I would receive an e-mail outlining our options. Yes, I've been around long enough to know that ships get chartered.

Today, days later, I called as I had not received an e-mail only to find out that the only offers were for different dates of the same ship.

I called back only to find out that the only offer was to switch to the Reflection at the new prevailing rates and get an OBC of only $50 (per cabin not per person).

Since when I booked the Canadian dollar was at least 15 % higher than it is today AND had they at least notified me while I was on board the Summit I could have profited from some of the better deals booking on board, it is a bit disappointed to get only $50 .

Is this reasonable?

I wish they had told us while I was still on the Summit as I could have at least got a way better deal.

On top of it, I only had till Monday (March 16th) to make up my mind so for now I booked something but I'm still thinking this is not really a fair deal.

Doesn't seem right. My 3 day was cancelled on Connie and offered a 5 day as a replacement. Only had to pay port charges and taxes for the extra days. Also received a $100 OBC per cabin. You should receive the same.

United Airlines bought Celebrity????? That sounds like the kind of thing UA would do to its passengers. Yes, it is a rotten deal and I would be on the phone with them immediately and if they did not help out, it would be a fast letter to who ever is the president now. After one phone call, skip everyone else. I have little or no patience for this kind of BS. This scam is as bad as what they did to me when I had to cancel last minute for a medical emergency and they offered me nothing, not even the Captain's Club points despite keeping all of our money, less about $450 in taxes....I like the product, I don't like the management.

United Airlines bought Celebrity????? That sounds like the kind of thing UA would do to its passengers. Yes, it is a rotten deal and I would be on the phone with them immediately and if they did not help out, it would be a fast letter to who ever is the president now. After one phone call, skip everyone else. I have little or no patience for this kind of BS. This scam is as bad as what they did to me when I had to cancel last minute for a medical emergency and they offered me nothing, not even the Captain's Club points despite keeping all of our money, less about $450 in taxes....I like the product, I don't like the management.

Well, you made me chuckle as we avoid United whenever possible. ;)

Yes, it's a rotten deal. I hadn't thought of writing to the new president but I will do so. Thanks for the idea.

I've already made the one phone call (in fact 2) and they would not let me speak to 'resolutions' but supposedly put me on hold while they did. Same answer : $50 per cabin.

Sorry to hear of your medical emergency cancellation.

The good news about my medical emergency is I walked into the hospital and later I walked out... my doc said it does not get any better than that...and we are re-booked for this May 28...As much as I dislike United--I have been a Premier for something like 28 years running--they were very very helpful on this cancellation. I had to call from the hospital because we were booked with friends and I could not split the reservation online. Who ever I spoke to that night did it all, made sure all 3 flights including a code share were intact for our friends AND she told me that once I re-booked I could get a $250 refund on the $300 change fee because it was a medical emergency.....They did good on that one...but otherwise, not so good anymore but since we mostly fly out of Newark, choices are limited. Good luck with your letter, be polite, be firm and let them know you are not happy and their are other options.

Is this reasonable?

This has never happened to me, but it doesn't seem fair to me. I know the cruise is almost a year away, but I would hope you would not need to pay more than you would have paid for the cruise that was cancelled. Is the prevailing rate for the new cruise less than what you were paying for the cancelled cruise for some reason? Or does it include additional benefits that you did not have on the cancelled cruise? If not I would agree that Celebrity should do better. Also if not you might want to call the Captain Club department and discuss your situation. They might be able to help. Of course I am assuming that you are not using a TA.

Good luck.

Monicajay, let it go. We too were on that cruise and today got off the Constellation. Our cruise was a spring break event with many FL college students on it and not our best. If Celebrity hadn't canceled it we would have. Find a longer cruise on Celebrity and pay the extra. Again, let it go or spend some time on land in a warmer spot.

Edited by Oville

The cruise was May last year, I was notified of the charter almost two years out, I had booked while onboard the Century May 2012.

Okay, so it wasn't a short 4 or 5 day spring break cruise in the Caribbean that we and the OP had canceled this week, big difference. So your offers truly cannot relate to a 5 day cruise Key West Cozumel cruise.

Edited by Oville

Okay, so it wasn't a short 4 or 5 day spring break cruise in the Caribbean that we and the OP had canceled this week, big difference. So your offers truly cannot relate to a 5 day cruise Key West Cozumel cruise.

Exactly. One of the factors in offers is duration.

I had a short Princess cruise cancelled and was offered $30 OBC.