Are the dining room entrees on the Buffet?

Garn

Honest, I tried searching, but wasn't able to find what I was looking for - I'm sure it's there, but just used the wrong terms.

We're leaving on the Emerald in a couple of weeks with a diverse crowd of 7. I'm trying to plan ahead with some recommendations for where to eat when.

The question is that, for instance, if they are serving Duck L'Orange (one of my Mother-in-Law's favorites) in the dining room, will it also be available in the buffet, or are those menus completely separate?

[And, yes, I understand that when they serve lobster not to expect a tray full of them in the buffet]

Thanks!

Don't expect ANY lobster in the buffet or escargot. There's many items in the MDR that you won't find in the buffet. You might find a couple of soups available, but don't expect the same results that you will get in the MDR. I like the bread sticks with the different seeds on them in the buffet whereas the MDR does not have them available.

Most entrees served in the MDR will not be in the HC. I always go check out the evening menu in the afternoon (it is posted just outside the MDR doors on decks 5 and 6). Then sometime after 5:30 when they start dinner in the HC I do a walk-through noting what is being offered. With that information I can pick what I want to eat and where. I just left the Emerald last Sunday and ate most of my dinner meals in the HC because the food there was more to my liking than what the MDR was offering. Each of course is different.

Sometimes. I have had duck a l'orange in the buffet on the Ruby Princess, but I've never seen it on other ships. The Ruby Princess Café Caribe has big section of rotisseries and they had more interesting choices. This was two years ago, though, and may not do it now. Each ship is different and it's up to the chef and his staff as to what's served. I, too, have done the walk through, but be aware that sometimes some selections run out. Once, they had Beef Wellington in the buffet at 5pm, but it had run out by 7pm when I went to eat. If you truly want something specific I'd make the effort to go to the MDR for it. And, that comes from someone who more often than not eats in the buffet.

Some of the MDR items might be available in the buffet but I wouldn't count on seeing a lot of them. It can also vary from ship to ship.

Typically, if something is to be repeated, it will show up at the buffet the next day after it is served in the dining room. You will find the same soups more often, though.

The DR meals as sometimes seen in the buffet but never on formal nights.

Not true! Last October on the Grand I enjoyed Beef Wellington on the buffet on the second formal night that was awesome!

Sent from my D2-927G using Forums mobile app

The question is that, for instance, if they are serving Duck L'Orange (one of my Mother-in-Law's favorites) in the dining room, will it also be available in the buffet, or are those menus completely separate?

Can anyone veryfy that Duck L'Orange is even on the dining room menu one evening?

Can anyone veryfy that Duck L'Orange is even on the dining room menu one evening?

Yup - it was on one of the menus posted on the Live from the Emerald Thread from the March 1st sailing.

Thanks for all of the feedback - I'd use the "take a peek and compare" method if it were just me and my wife, but since I'm going with my wife, parents, in-laws and daughter, I'm trying to avoid the endless discussions about where to eat each night. (Yes, I know we could split up, but our parents would feel abandoned... ahh, family dynamics).

Thanks again. I can see I'll just have to wing it.

We often find the same food in Horizon and Csribe that is being served in the dining room. We had Prime Rib on he first night of a cruise in the buffet. Also the Beef Wellingtton was served in the Horizon on a formal night. We just had duck served in Caribe on our last cruise.

Sometimes we find very good selections in the buffet that have never been in the main dining room.:)

Typically, if something is to be repeated, it will show up at the buffet the next day after it is served in the dining room. You will find the same soups more often, though.

With the exception of sea days I eat all my meals in MDR for it is better for me being older being served. I have observed items from last nights dinner on the menu at lunch time in MDR.

A big family group is the perfect reason to sign up for traditional. Otherwise the OP will be trying to "herd cats" getting a diverse group to dinner at one time & place. With 7 you will have your own table.

A big family group is the perfect reason to sign up for traditional. Otherwise the OP will be trying to "herd cats" getting a diverse group to dinner at one time & place. With 7 you will have your own table.

Ahh, if only it were that simple.

Some of our group get squirrelly (and it's more my 80-year old father than my 14 year old daughter) sitting through more than a few long dinners. (And don't even get me started on the Great Formal Night Attire debate).

I figure for sure we will do the first formal night (dressed appropriately), and maybe a couple more MDR nights, the Crab Shack, and the rest in the buffet (with maybe one night in Sabatini's with my wife if we just can't deal with the whole group that many nights).

Honestly, I love traveling with all of them, and it's made for some wonderful memories, but it can be challenging to keep everyone happy.

I envy "real" travel agents - not only do they get paid for all of their work, but once the ship casts off, they are done. Still it is all worth it in the long run... (just have to keep reminding myself of that). :)

Ahh, if only it were that simple.

Some of our group get squirrelly (and it's more my 80-year old father than my 14 year old daughter) sitting through more than a few long dinners. (And don't even get me started on the Great Formal Night Attire debate).

I figure for sure we will do the first formal night (dressed appropriately), and maybe a couple more MDR nights, the Crab Shack, and the rest in the buffet (with maybe one night in Sabatini's with my wife if we just can't deal with the whole group that many nights).

Honestly, I love traveling with all of them, and it's made for some wonderful memories, but it can be challenging to keep everyone happy.

I envy "real" travel agents - not only do they get paid for all of their work, but once the ship casts off, they are done. Still it is all worth it in the long run... (just have to keep reminding myself of that). :)

I hear you! A thankless task. When we go in a big group I just lay down the law. Dinner daily at the set time and all the rest people can do as they like. But your gang sounds more unruly than that!:D

While I agree with those saying that it's not cool to use Anytime if you are signed up for Traditional, I was just looking at the Princess web site, and there's nothing that I could find that says at if you select TD, you are banned from AD.

Considering how unevenly actual rules like chair saving are enforced, I can't say I'm surprised that they don't enforce this non-rule.

While I agree with those saying that it's not cool to use Anytime if you are signed up for Traditional, I was just looking at the Princess web site, and there's nothing that I could find that says at if you select TD, you are banned from AD.

From the Princess web site

"Traditional Dining is the classic cruise dining experience.....Once onboard and subject to availability, you may attempt to switch preferences with 24 hours notice to the Maitre D’. We will do our best to accommodate your preference."

OK, it does not actually say you may not randomly go back and forth. But it does say you need to get permission to switch.

For anytime it says:

"Anytime Dining offers a flexible dining experience – just like a restaurant would – and gives you the freedom to dine with whomever you wish, at your convenience between 5:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. in elegant, upscale venues.....Once onboard and subject to availability, you may attempt to switch preferences with 24 hours notice to the Maitre D’. We will do our best to accommodate your preference"

Again, it says you need permission to switch.