Flying day of cruise

kycouple39

We are set sail on the Breeze from Miami on 4/25. We can save over $300 by flying the day of the cruise, rather than the night before. Normally, we don't do this; however...

We can get a non-stop flight departing at 7:30AM and landing in Miami around 10:30AM.

Given those facts, do you think this is risky?

Totally up to you but here is my story.

First cruise (now 10 years ago) we flew from Baltimore to Miami on the day of cruise. My sister in law is a travel agent and booked the cruise and air. We were traveling on April 2nd so there was little chance of snow in Baltimore at that time of year so I thought no problem and she said "don't worry". We were scheduled to land in Miami around 12:30 if my memory serves me correctly. The plane backed away from the gate exactly on time (yea). We were taxiing to the runway and the plane pulled off the tarmac and the pilot told us we needed to wait because of some visibility rules and how far planes could take off between each other. No problem this only delayed us around an hour.

So we take off and all is well. Until we get to Miami and they are having thunderstorms. We circled Miami for a quite awhile. While circling we saw the ship, which at that point I don't know if it was a good thing or bad thing. We finally landed. Great we can make it on time!

Then we sit on the tarmac again. We could actually see our gate but couldn't get there because of plane blocking our way because of that same distance rule we had in Baltimore. We had multiple planes blocking our way to the gate. So I called the cruise line while still sitting on the plane and told them the situation. The representative's response was "how fast can you run when you get in the airport". Kinda funny now but I wasn't laughing then. Finally we did get to the gate and we did run. And fortunately we did make the ship in time (not by much).

This was our first cruise and I honestly can say I don't remember much of that first day on the ship. To me it was a lost day of cruising with a good story.

Since that cruise we always travel the day before. We will be going on our 17th cruise next week and all I can say is if we don't drive to port we fly the day before. We always get to the ship very early and are one of the first to board. We are on the ship well rested and ready for a great time usually before noon. The way I look at it is we have another day on the cruise by doing it this way.

$300 means something different to everyone so only you can answer that. But peace of mind and extra time can be very beneficial.

Steve

I was once delayed about 4 hours because the flight was delayed on the runway because of thunderstorms and by the time the plane could take off, one of the crew members ran out of allowed flight hours. They had to fly a new crew in from another location.

This happened to us as well. Not for a cruise, but for a big cross country trip. And it was in June, so not snow related, but as above, thunderstorm related. We sat on the tarmac in the plane for almost 6 hours!! They couldn't bring us back or they would have to change crews, which they didn't have. Sounds like you already made your decision, but if you have something/somewhere you HAVE to be (a cruise ship in this case). Always fly a day early if you can afford and have the time. Just too stressful otherwise! Have a great cruise!!

As a follow-up to my previous post, so happy that other cruisers agree with me regarding thunderstorms! Not something that you want to happen, but it so often does.

On many threads I have mentioned this and no one seems to agree! Believe me living in Green Bay well aware of what snow can do, but thunderstorms can disrupt air travel too.

To original poster, hope you have a great cruise, whatever you decide - but if at all possible, fly in a day ahead!

We flew down same day one time for a cruise. It was May in NY so I wasn't worried about snow but hadn't thought about all the other problems that could occur. Well the night before, the crew got in late and in order to get their required amount of rest, our morning flight was going to be delayed. We wouldn't have known until morning if my brother-in-law who worked at the airport hadn't notified us (it was maybe 11pm). That flight change in the morning would have ruined our connecting flights and we would have missed our cruise. Fortunately due to the heads up, we were able to call and make arrangements to leave from a different airport and my father-in-law drove us there in the middle of the night. When I had called to change our flights, they didn't even have records yet of the delay for the morning. I was so thankful for my BIL for looking out for us. It was very stressful and will never travel the same day of the cruise again.

I know that most folks warn against flying day of but we always do. Funny story - the only time we did fly in early because it was sailing out of Vancouver. Missed the last flight out of Salt Lake City and they rebooked us arriving in Vancouver too late for the ship. It all worked out fine - except for the two suitcases which were waylaid. We had a great trip and learned that you can get by with way less stuff.

Of course, the risk is that you may miss your ship if you fly in the day of your sailing. But, flying in the day before adds to your overall cost. For us, that would included another day of parking at the airport at home, ground transportation to the hotel, the hotel itself, meals, an extra day lodging for our dog. This can easily add another $500 onto the cost of the cruise.

I would consider the $300 spent on an extra day of vacation and a stress reliever. We had a direct flight once from MI to FL. We had to make an emergency stop in TN due to mechanical issues. We spent over 5 hours on the ground. Luckily we were flying in the day before our cruise. If it had been the day of we would have missed the ship.

I would consider the $300 spent on an extra day of vacation and a stress reliever. We had a direct flight once from MI to FL. We had to make an emergency stop in TN due to mechanical issues. We spent over 5 hours on the ground. Luckily we were flying in the day before our cruise. If it had been the day of we would have missed the ship.

What one would think would be a quick fix at the Albany NY airport, a flat tire, ended up taking about 5 hours since closest available mechanics and tires were in DC and needed to be flown north on another regularly scheduled flight. Fortunately, it wasn't a vacation trip.

Of course, the risk is that you may miss your ship if you fly in the day of your sailing. But, flying in the day before adds to your overall cost. For us, that would included another day of parking at the airport at home, ground transportation to the hotel, the hotel itself, meals, an extra day lodging for our dog. This can easily add another $500 onto the cost of the cruise.

Of course flying to the port of embarkation the day before adds to the overall cost but I personally will pay the extra cost for a peace of mind. I remember flying into Miami for a cruise several years ago and my luggage ended up in Dallas, Texas...LOL...thank God we flew in a day early because my luggage was sent to Miami from Dallas that evening and it was delivered to the hotel we stayed at. My point is...if you can afford the cruise and extras that go with it, then budget for the extra day because that "Peace of mind" is well worth it!!!

jcruise

I will never, never, ever fly in the same day of the cruise. Did it once, ran through Regan airport barefoot, feeling sorry for the people pounding along behind me barefoot, with their kids slung over their hips.

We made it to the ship with an hour to spare. I don't know what happened to those people with the kids. Never doing that again.

I ALWAYS fly in the day before the cruise. The main reason is that "things" happen, and having been through my fair share of weather, computer hub and mechanical delays, I'd rather take the conservative approach and build a little extra pad into my travel time. Sure, there's always a price tag attached to this, but the peace of mind that comes with having that extra time is invaluable. I've had situations where the flight was delayed, or the luggage was lost, and that extra time made all of the difference. There's also a bonus in that you can arrive at your destination, have a nice dinner the night before, get a good night's sleep, and arrive at embarkation ready to start your cruise relaxed and refreshed (not frazzled and tense). I like that part best of all.

I know that not everybody has the financial wherewithal or the available time off work to do this, but if there is any way possible, it's a great way to start your cruise.

While I'd prefer to fly down at least the day before, we have flown down the day of a cruise several times. I look for nonstop flights that leave first thing in the morning. Last spring, for instance, we were on a flight before 7 a.m. and at the port by 8:15.

While I'd prefer to fly down at least the day before, we have flown down the day of a cruise several times. I look for nonstop flights that leave first thing in the morning. Last spring, for instance, we were on a flight before 7 a.m. and at the port by 8:15.

Agree. Anything can happen on any day of travel no matter where you are going. Even if you fly the day before, you could get stuck and not get out until the next day. It's a risk no matter what.

Non-stop flights are great - as long as they remain non-stop, and non-delay, non-cancelled, and non-diverted.

I have flown from Los Angeles to Ft Lauderdale same day for every cruise I have taken out of Miami and Ft Lauderdale, and haven't missed one yet. I figure I am dollars ahead of the game if I ever do miss one.

Also flew same day for a cruise out of Seattle.

My odds may be better than some others because we have very few weather related problems here.

If your cruise ship is departing the terminal at 4pm, then I would definitely fly in the day before. If the cruise ship leaves after 8pm, then I would consider flying to the port of embarkation the same day. However, for us, no matter what time the ship departs, we fly in the day before. We budget for that when we are saving for our cruise vacation. Remember..."Peace of Mind" is worth every penny!!!

jcruise

If we fly out the 24th, we can't leave until late, late at night because of my husband's job. Louisville is about 90 mins. from us, so we would have to leave from Lexington on the 24th, and that airport is significantly higher.

Thank you for your help and research. I personally think $300 is worth the peace of mind to fly in the night before.

Good, issue resolved. Have a great cruise and peace of mind.:)

We also always go a day ahead. Risks vs peace of mind is one factor, but we just like having that extra day of vacation. Most ports have nice and inexpensive pre-cruise deals if you look in the right places. Embassy suites has a deal in most port cities.

While flying in a day or two before is the less stressful option, the OP's situation is such that I doubt it is worth the added cost. While not in the first post, I believe further down she mentioned that due to DH work commitments, they would not be able to leave until the evening of the day before. Flying 12 hours earlier is not going to appreciably change the situation. Especially if one is catching the last flight out that night.

While flying in a day or two before is the less stressful option, the OP's situation is such that I doubt it is worth the added cost. While not in the first post, I believe further down she mentioned that due to DH work commitments, they would not be able to leave until the evening of the day before. Flying 12 hours earlier is not going to appreciably change the situation. Especially if one is catching the last flight out that night.

It looks like the OP decided to fly the night before. I guess her peace of mind was worth $300.

Your are 100% correct that taking the last flight the night before probably does't reduce the chances of missing the boat by very much but each person perceives risk differently so each person's willingness to pay to avoid those perceived risks is also different. It may not be worth it for you and I but for many, it is.

I have done it both ways and prefer to go a day early but only partly for the fear of a delay.... I just hate the rush of flying in the day of also. If u do fly in the day of I would highly recommend taking a taxi to the port or hiring a car ahead of time instead of depending on cruise transfers

Good luck,

Jacki