Sharing drink package

link99

[quote name='tugboat']I saw the same thing this week on the Indy, make a stop at the pool bar, hand off your drink then up to the sky bar to get yours. All day long they said RCL never caught on. I not should they want get wise in the near future.[/QUOTE]

AND that, is just how easy it is, and rccl knows it. There was a post here last year about spring break and all the sharing. it was on of the top vied post for awhile. it was going on then and it is going on now.

[quote name='link99']AND that, is just how easy it is, and rccl knows it. There was a post here last year about spring break and all the sharing. it was on of the top vied post for awhile. it was going on then and it is going on now.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps a soft cap on just booze maybe? 25 drinks/day would be more than enough, maybe even 20. Sure would discourage drink sharing amongst the heavier sharers. Maybe still provide soda/water/juice or something. I don't know, just throwing out ideas ;)

[quote name='link99']
I can afford to cruise as a lot of us on here can,but their are people in life that must plan and save for these trips and any price increase really hurts them and their budget.[/quote]

This doesn't hurt someone on a budget. As someone who became a believer in YNAB years ago I simply stay within my budget. If something is beyond my means, I go without it.
[B]
I am not hurt because I did not go past my budget. That is what being on a budget REALLY means. Most people can't grasp that concept even though it is really very simple. [/B]Have the same people who are "hurt" by increasing prices budgeting for contingencies, emergencies, and hiccups along the way? That is always more important than getting oneself drunk, no? Most people who say "I can't spend a lot, I am on a budget" if you ask them how much they have no answer. Just that they can't really spend "a lot" but they never did the homework to figure out what they can afford. They just use the word budget to mean "frugal". Two mutually exclusive terms in reality though.

Do increasing prices mean sometimes I can afford less than I may want? Yes. Do I think RCI's recent drink price increases are warranted or fair? Not really. I find them odious and heavy handed. It erodes the value proposition. But all I can do is spend my budget, or less, and tell the company why. I'm not going to put myself at a financial shortfall because that only hurts me. On the flip side, I am not going to compromise my integrity with petty thievery for a small gain.

[quote name='link99']AND that, is just how easy it is, and rccl knows it. There was a post here last year about spring break and all the sharing. it was on of the top vied post for awhile. it was going on then and it is going on now.[/QUOTE]

Just because it's done does that make it all good in your opinion? People steal all the time, from bank robbery to muggings to shoplifting. And you feel it's perfectly fine for you to do the same if you want because others have done it and might not have gotten caught? Great set of ethics you've got there. I might note that a lot of the items in the gift shops are way overpriced as well. You could probably slip a few into your pocket and not get caught if you're careful. Same thing as what you are proposing.

[quote name='BekkaW']The price on individual drinks also appears to have risen, in addition to the increased gratuity. Some have speculated that this is designed to drive more people towards purchasing a drinks package.

It's still only a few dollars in the scheme of things, and no excuse for stealing[/QUOTE]

It could be the people smuggling and sharing the package that's causing the prices to go higher.

[quote name='Pesseh0729']It could be the people smuggling and sharing the package that's causing the prices to go higher.[/QUOTE]

Or it could be the people bringing on soda, juice, water, etc. that is causing the prices to go higher.

The sharing of drink packages is definitely going to cause RCI to rethink and either go back to making everyone in the cabin purchase the same package and/or adding a maximum number of drinks per day. I hope those that share packages are happy when that happens and applies to them as well.

[quote name='splash_in_the_water']Perhaps a soft cap on just booze maybe? 25 drinks/day would be more than enough, maybe even 20. Sure would discourage drink sharing amongst the heavier sharers. Maybe still provide soda/water/juice or something. I don't know, just throwing out ideas ;)[/QUOTE]
While that might certainly discourage some of the heavier drinkers, I am willing to bet that it is not primarily the heavier drinkers who choose to share. It is the people who each drink 3-4 drinks a day each.

I am pretty peeved about the drink prices increase. I will not result to sharing over it, but it is irritating. We recently made a decision to try RCI over Disney. Part of that consideration was how much we would spend on drinks on RCI vs being able to carry on our own liquor on Disney. We went with Royal because at the time it would have been cheaper overall. If I were to add on a drink package, then I could have cruised with Disney (our preferred line). It is too late to change as our cruise is next month.

I know to some that the idea of paying an extra $4 a drink isn't bad and something that they will begrudgingly do, for us we will not. We are not Diamond and do not get free drinks. Royal will not be making money on drinks from our family and this will likely highly influence whether we choose Royal in the future.

The fact that sharing a drink package is stealing will keep me from purchasing and sharing, however, I bet that I take a higher moral stance on this than many cruisers embarking in the near future when their first round at the bar is close to $30 for two drinks. I know that RCI is a for profit company, but to make an increase this large all at once is going to result in unhappy people, fewer future bookings, and more sharing of the drink packages. After a time, people will get over it but others will be alienated in the mean time.

[quote name='Cel_cruise']I totally agree that sharing is NOT right and what I am going to say doesn't condone sharing

..but I also think cruisers (not specifically the OP!) that booked this year, did so with the old drink prices. The tipping policy change came first - and that was reasonable, but the recent price hike is much more excessive. These folks have no time to plan and budget more funds - their trips are NOW, not next year.

I think that they have the right to be frustrated and angry. They booked and made final payment with a different premise from the cruise line.

Sure - it's in the Ts and Cs that everything can change - but just as we expect passengers to do the ethical thing and not share, I think we should expect Royal to do so as well and not make changes inside the 45 day final payment window. They can announce changes for beyond the 45 day period so that folks can opt out before final payment if the experience no longer suits their budget.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]First sensible post on this thread. Some people have to save for cruises, aren't Diamond or whatever, and don't have it in their budget to pay ridiculous prices for drinks. I do not agree with sharing drink packages or smuggling, but I do not think what Royal is doing is right either.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Woodmnky']While that might certainly discourage some of the heavier drinkers, I am willing to bet that it is not primarily the heavier drinkers who choose to share. It is the people who each drink 3-4 drinks a day each.

I am pretty peeved about the drink prices increase. I will not result to sharing over it, but it is irritating. We recently made a decision to try RCI over Disney. Part of that consideration was how much we would spend on drinks on RCI vs being able to carry on our own liquor on Disney. We went with Royal because at the time it would have been cheaper overall. If I were to add on a drink package, then I could have cruised with Disney (our preferred line). It is too late to change as our cruise is next month.

I know to some that the idea of paying an extra $4 a drink isn't bad and something that they will begrudgingly do, for us we will not. We are not Diamond and do not get free drinks. Royal will not be making money on drinks from our family and this will likely highly influence whether we choose Royal in the future.

The fact that sharing a drink package is stealing will keep me from purchasing and sharing, however, I bet that I take a higher moral stance on this than many cruisers embarking in the near future when their first round at the bar is close to $30 for two drinks. I know that RCI is a for profit company, but to make an increase this large all at once is going to result in unhappy people, fewer future bookings, and more sharing of the drink packages. After a time, people will get over it but others will be alienated in the mean time.[/QUOTE]

I still think the prices are very reasonable. It would cost way more to fly from island to island and pay for your own 3 meals and drinks. Don't forget a hotel to stay in and possibly a rental car to get around in. Royal and any other cruise line are very convenient. Everything you need is in walking distance. What other way can you see 3-4 different islands/countries/whatever with this kind of convenience?

[quote name='Woodmnky']While that might certainly discourage some of the heavier drinkers, I am willing to bet that it is not primarily the heavier drinkers who choose to share. It is the people who each drink 3-4 drinks a day each.

The fact that sharing a drink package is stealing will keep me from purchasing and sharing, however, I bet that I take a higher moral stance on this than many cruisers embarking in the near future when their first round at the bar is close to $30 for two drinks. I know that RCI is a for profit company, but to make an increase this large all at once is going to result in unhappy people, fewer future bookings, and more sharing of the drink packages. After a time, people will get over it but others will be alienated in the mean time.[/quote]

Woodmnky

This is my first post after lurking this board for a few years, and your comment made me want to respond. We are one of those couples who drink 3 to 4 drinks a day, and will be affected the most by the increase. Buying the drink package is definitely not practical for us. You see I did the math, the new prices will add an extra 150 dollars on our bar bill, and that is more than our budget can handle.
Like you I travel in the next month and it is to late to cancel and rebook else where. RCI should allow the people who booked last year the option to cancel without penalties. Like you I use another cruiseline (Carnival) but decided this year to make a stretch and saved a little more to try sailing on a RCI ship (Allure).
I am not going to lie I thought about sharing a drink package but decided against it so I will have to cut back on drinking per day, carry on the two bottles of wine and look for drink specials to stay in budget. So you see Woodmnky, this will be my first and last cruise with Royal, just letting you know, you are not alone on how you feel.

[quote name='Pesseh0729']I still think the prices are very reasonable. It would cost way more to fly from island to island and pay for your own 3 meals and drinks. Don't forget a hotel to stay in and possibly a rental car to get around in. Royal and any other cruise line are very convenient. Everything you need is in walking distance. What other way can you see 3-4 different islands/countries/whatever with this kind of convenience?[/QUOTE]

I think that this is very flawed thinking - Most would not island hop for a single weeks vacation. We would find something suitable and desirable for us in our budget. If we had planned on a enjoying 2 fruity cocktails by the pool every afternoon and the prices increased, we may choose to postpone that vacation until we can have the increased funds in our vacation budget instead of reducing our fruity drink intake in half or change resorts or give up something else. All are appropriate options for those that follow a budget....but not all options after final payment...

For what it's worth - I am used to Boston-New York bar prices...but for our cruise in February, I based our budget on Royals prices in December when deciding whether to get gratuities, on board credit, drink package etc.

[quote name='Cel_cruise']I think that this is very flawed thinking - Most would not island hop for a single weeks vacation. We would find something suitable and desirable for us in our budget. If we had planned on a enjoying 2 fruity cocktails by the pool every afternoon and the prices increased, we may choose to postpone that vacation until we can have the increased funds in our vacation budget instead of reducing our fruity drink intake in half or change resorts or give up something else. All are appropriate options for those that follow a budget....but not all options after final payment...

For what it's worth - I am used to Boston-New York bar prices...but for our cruise in February, I based our budget on Royals prices in December when deciding whether to get gratuities, on board credit, drink package etc.[/QUOTE]

Most people wouldn't do it because it would be too expensive and that's my point.

I understand some are on a budget and it sucks that the prices increased on drinks all of a sudden. Maybe they should've given some kind of notice prior to the change, but again if the majority are going to pay I don't see Royal changing anytime soon.

While I don't think a lot of people will completely share 1 package (i.e., 1 person gets the package while the other doesn't pay for a drink all cruise), I do think this will cause a drink or 2 to be shared each day. They swipe the cards, correct? It's easy to track if someone goes to one bar and 2 minutes later, their card is getting swiped at another. RCI could easily crack down on this sort of blatant sharing.

These price increases will show how crafty people can get smuggling liquor on board. And how long before they start charging a corkage fee?

On a side note, is it only one drink at a time, or only one alcoholic drink? Can I get a cocktail or beer, and also get a soda or water at the same time?

[quote name='Bert64']While I don't think a lot of people will completely share 1 package (i.e., 1 person gets the package while the other doesn't pay for a drink all cruise), I do think this will cause a drink or 2 to be shared each day. They swipe the cards, correct? It's easy to track if someone goes to one bar and 2 minutes later, their card is getting swiped at another. RCI could easily crack down on this sort of blatant sharing.

[COLOR="Red"]Yes they could but they have not so why should anyone follow the Rules that's all it is a rule NOT A LAW no one is getting arrested and you paid for the product.[/COLOR]

These price increases will show how crafty people can get smuggling liquor on board. And how long before they start charging a corkage fee?

[COLOR="Red"]just do a search on the subject all kinds of videos of people doing.[/COLOR]

On a side note, is it only one drink at a time, or only one alcoholic drink? Can I get a cocktail or beer, and also get a soda or water at the same time?[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Red"] The times I have purchased the packages ( and yes two and three packages at a time) you can get one one drink per card at that time. If you have both cards with you they will usually give you both drinks i have even got two drinks with two cards and a water at the same time>
[/COLOR]

[quote name='splash_in_the_water']yeah, but many college kids do many stupid things. Don't justify your actions based on their behaviors.

Remember, sometimes as adults we should remember just because we can, doesn't mean we should.[/QUOTE]

You know that is probably one of the smartest replies ive heard in a long time.

[quote name='dplusd']I'm not happy with the increase in drink prices (and cruise fares, for that matter). But, compromising your integrity by stealing is not the way to go. If you justify stealing in this case, where do you draw the line?

A better solution is to shop similar lines for a vacation you believe to be fair. Right now, NCL has much lower fares and the drink package is included in balcony rooms or better. We're considering giving them a try and I hear we can wear shorts to dinner there too!

Bottom line, don't register your displeasure with Royal by compromising your integrity and plan to steal drinks by sharing a package. Simply vote with your vacation dollars and give another cruise line a try. If enough of us vote this way, Royal's pricing will come back down.[/QUOTE]

^^^This. Well said.

We were on Oasis in February and yes, we shared our drink packages. My husband and I both bought the ultimate. My brother did as well. My sister in law doesn't drink alcohol so she did not purchase a package. I don't drink pop/ soda. I gave her my included special glass and she was able to get all the pop she wanted.

We paid over $1000 for two of us for our packages. I think RCCL can pick up the tab for 3-4 pop per day.

I realize most will disagree.

The only way they can stop the sharing of the beverage package is to follow Celebrity's policy, both passengers in the booking have to take the package, they do not allow only 1 to have it. Been on several cruises on Celebrity and we both had to take the drink package.

When we started sailing, fancy drinks were $2 each, but cruise fares were more than twice what they are now. Now fancy drinks are $10, but I can book a JS for less than half of what it used to cost for a 10x10 room with twin beds bolted to the walls and a tiny porthole that you had to stand on the bed to look out of.

I'll take that trade-off any day.:)

[quote name='Clipper123']Or it could be the people bringing on soda, juice, water, etc. that is causing the prices to go higher.[/QUOTE]

I bring soda on board because they don't have cafeine free diet coke. So I guess you can all shoot me because prices got higher because of me... :(
Cindy

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

[quote name='Josie2']We were on Oasis in February and yes, we shared our drink packages. My husband and I both bought the ultimate. My brother did as well. My sister in law doesn't drink alcohol so she did not purchase a package. I don't drink pop/ soda. I gave her my included special glass and she was able to get all the pop she wanted.

We paid over $1000 for two of us for our packages. I think RCCL can pick up the tab for 3-4 pop per day.

I realize most will disagree.[/QUOTE]

RCI won't pick up any tab at all. It's us cruisers and stock holders that will pick up the tab. I highly doubt you've been invited by your fellow cruisers to 3-4 pop a day. You are a thief! You have stolen some of my money, hope you feel good about it.

[quote name='Josie2']We were on Oasis in February and yes, we shared our drink packages. My husband and I both bought the ultimate. My brother did as well. My sister in law doesn't drink alcohol so she did not purchase a package. I don't drink pop/ soda. I gave her my included special glass and she was able to get all the pop she wanted.

[COLOR="Red"][B]We paid over $1000 for two of us for our packages. I think RCCL can pick up the tab for 3-4 pop per day.[/B] [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Black"][B]How can you possibly believe what you did was right? It's stealing & it's people like you who cause the higher costs to the rest of us.
[/B]
[B]You disgust me[/B]...................[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I see nothing wrong with this if you were not drinking soda too. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Josie2']

We paid over $1000 for two of us [/quote]

That's right. You paid for two. You use two. Not "and my sister in law".

I get it. The cost for the soda is pennies compared to what you spent. But that only entitles you to the benefit, not others. They offer reasonably priced soda packages for adults if that is what they want.