Travel Fan

christydore

Have to think he drove to the port, or does this look larger than it really is?

They flew...but he had it in a carry on bag...I think the photo makes it look larger ;)

Product Dimensions: 4 x 13.1 x 12.1 inches

We always bring a small oscillating tower fan. Takes up very little room in the bottom of a carry on bag. It moves enough air in the cabin so that we can cut back on the AC. The AC vent being directly over the bed usually gives me a sinus headache. We don't use an extension cord with it and have never been told that we shouldn't bring it.

I have a Lasko small standing fan that oscillates that I always take with me. Just recently on the Crown it was held up at security because they wanted me to open the suitcase. So be prepared to look in security if you don't get it delivered to your cabin. I have taken it many times but this was the first time it was held.

We have a battery powered one that works great. I think we bought it originally at Bed Bath and Beyond, but they have similar ones at Amazon. Takes 4 C (or D?) batteries, is almost silent when running and actually puts out a pretty powerful stream of air. The ones that only take 2 batteries may not provide enough air movement. We now keep one in our car when we're doing extended trips in warm weather, after getting stuck in 95 degree weather in stopped traffic for hours due to a bad accident.

I bought this fan for my upcoming cruise: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B16VT6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Runs on two D-cell batteries. I think it'll suit my needs (mostly for the white noise) just fine. :)

Wow never found need to bring a fan. Ships are actually always super cold. Perhaps that's because those with the fans keep asking the crew to turn up the AC.

Sent from my D2-927G using Forums mobile app

I bring a small (5") electric fan...much lighter than battery powered, and I need it running ALL night (hot flashes!)

And the a/c gets cut back during the night on every cruise we've been on in recent years. You go to bed nice and comfy under those duvets and wake up in a sweat early morning. I will have to give up cruising if I can't bring my little fan. It's not hot flashes. It's just that I'm always hot and my husband is always cold.....don't know how we've made it 56 years! Ha ha

When our AC went out for the last 4 days of the trip and our cabin was over 95 degrees, we wished we had thought to bring a fan. We also sleep with one every night for the white noise.

We found the same brand pictured above at Walmart for significantly less and will be bringing 1 (maybe 2) just in case. They are so small and light if there is one odd thing i bring, this will be it!

This is the one we bring with us: http://www.amazon.com/O2COOL Battery-Operated-Portable-WHITE/dp/B001B16VT6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426731649&sr=8-1&keywords=o2+cool+portable+fan

Tried to post a picture, but it was massive! lol It's really just a small fan that collapses flat.

When we don't have the extra luggage space, we use our blow dryer on 'cool' mode for short blasts of cool air.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

I bought this fan for my upcoming cruise: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B16VT6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Runs on two D-cell batteries. I think it'll suit my needs (mostly for the white noise) just fine. :)

You can buy a noise generator that creates any of these noise colors - White noise, Pink noise, Brown(ian) noise, Blue noise, Violet noise or Grey noise - which is much smaller than your fan. Not sure of the price however.

DON

Thanks for all the feedback.

Did I read somewhere that Princess also has fans you can request from your room steward as well ? Anyone confirm this ?

They do but are limited. We had one (2 ft high tower fan) on the Emerald last month because of an ac issue. I would not count on one being available though, you may be disappointed.

I did not request it, they just brought it.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

My wife and I have always traveled with a fan for white noise, but the smaller ones are too quiet. We have a Vornado brand fan that's about 12"+ all around, including the base. We'll take that if there is room in the luggage, or if we're driving to the port.

We've also used sound machines, but lately a Sleep Fan app on smartphone has replace those.

I've always worried about overheating or otherwise causing problems having an app running all night. I guess you'd have to leave your phone on the charger? No problems with that? I use a sound machine at home, and would love to do the iPhone thing.

• 2 weeks later...

jagsfan,

You can turn off the screen and the app will still be running. I don't think it's an issue. You can keep the phone plugged in or just have it fully charged before going to bed. I didn't notice that it drained the battery more than other apps. Bring an extension cord just in case.