Navigator - dress code actually enforced!

Why are you all talking about formal night? Who brought up formal night? How come every time someone wants to wear shorts people talk about formal night? What has one got to do with the other?

My preference; shorts A-OK on all casual night. If they want to require pants on formal night I'd play along to that. There, that's the end of formal talk.

So back to the regularly scheduled program, yes, I'd like to wear my khaki shorts to dinner in the Caribbean, most especially on casual nights. I live in a place where today was 88°. And I don't have to wear pants for work either. So, I really don't want to be required to dress what is, to ME, more uncomfortably on vacation than I do in daily life.

I believe the options as they stand are bunk. Buffet or specialty dining. Why should I pay more to be comfortable on my Caribbean vacation? Or why should I sacrifice table service that I've paid for in order to be comfortable. Shouldn't my relaxing, rejuvenating, pampering Caribbean vacation be comfortable for me to enjoy? If you want to wear a wool suit every night, or a cashmere jumpsuit, be my guest. ENJOY YOUR DINNER!

I sure see a lot of guys running around ships at night in shorts. They put on pants to eat, then go back and waste time to change into shorts to go be, you know, comfortable on your Caribbean vacation? Not all, but quite a bit I see guys in shorts at night. I've certainly changed after dinner too.

Why do people think that unless I am "forced" to wear pants that I will choose to wear basketball shorts or a bathing suit? I don't wear those items to restaurants at home, why would I do that on a ship? Why would my desire to wear shorts mean I wouldn't shower and come right from the pool or gym? It's always such an absurd thing to read people say. It's a completely irrational response and yet so many repeat it over and over again. No matter how many people say it, it won't make any sense. Do you mean to say in my desire to be comfortable I completely lose my entire fashion sense and personal grooming habits and will bring my mowing the lawn clothes on the ship and live in them all week? A purely stupid response.

And why is this an issue for men and not women? I see women in shorts on every night of every cruise I've been on and it has absolutely not ever been any sort of issue whatsoever. So someone please explain why it's okay to apply a standard to mens dress but not to women? Personally it doesn't bother me one bit, not one iota. But I am curious why the double standard.

We all have better things to do with our lives. I really don't care what you wear and I don't care what you "judge" me as either. Whatever goes on in your head is your problem.

Do you mean to tell me that after all this time, and all those dress code threads, there are all these folks wearing shorts to dinner on Navigator cruises? How come they never spoke up and posted on the threads that shorts are fine?

We haven't sailed on Navigator out of Texas, but we also haven't been to the main dining room in several years, because DH doesn't wish to put on long pants.

I had no idea that the main dining room had gone to casual with shorts allowed (except during spring break). :D:):D

I knew about the no shorts policy, but are the strictly enforcing the formal night where men MUST have a suit/tux on? Last time we cruised we were told that as long as the hubby had slacks, nice shirt and a tie, that it was ok to be in the MDR on formal nights.

There has never been a requirement for suits/tuxes on formal night, it's just a suggestion.

This is different to the no shorts/singlets, which is a requirement.

HI cruise tobey by dress properly I mean "follow the dress guidelines as posted by RCCL"

Its common knowledge. If it says shorts and sandals are not permitted in the dining room, then have enough class to not wear them. Don't be a renegade or a rebel... Just do it.

Hi Truth.

I agree completely. There is a posted sign clearly stating "no shorts, baseball caps, etc" at the doors of the MDR that, to my line of thinking, is pretty cut and dry.

However, the manner of dress on any particular night is stated merely as a "suggestion", not a rule. I know this has been beaten to death and may seem to be semantics, but please hear me out.

As some have pointed out, times have changed. Over the years, it has become common to wear casual but neat clothing to shore-side restaurants - that is the new societal norm. In order to attract and retain new customers, RCL has evidently relaxed their dress suggestions, as evidenced by the increase in non-formal wear. That's the "new normal". The seasoned cruiser may long for the return of a black tie formal experience (i.e. everyone well-dressed) on RCL, but it's not going to happen.

RCL is in the hospitality industry, which by definition requires that it caters to the desires of it's customer base. If a corporation does not adapt, it will die a slow death. Fare-paying passengers greatly influence the decisions RCL makes. The last thing they want is to lose potential revenue, regardless of the "class" of it's patrons.

To summarize, it is not up to any passenger (regardless of how strongly they feel) to summarily insist a fellow passenger dress a certain way when the manner of dress is "suggested". RCL is allowing those in business casual-type clothing to dine in the MDR on the themed formal night. So be it. What is the harm? They allow it - end of discussion.

On the other hand, reports indicate that RCL has begun to vigorously enforce their long-standing rule against shorts, flip-flops, etc. in the MDR. Again, that is their right, and by being so enforced, we as passengers have an obligation to follow it.

Hi Truth.

I agree completely. There is a posted sign clearly stating "no shorts, baseball caps, etc" at the doors of the MDR that, to my line of thinking, is pretty cut and dry.

However, the manner of dress on any particular night is stated merely as a "suggestion", not a rule. I know this has been beaten to death and may seem to be semantics, but please hear me out.

As some have pointed out, times have changed. Over the years, it has become common to wear casual but neat clothing to shore-side restaurants - that is the new societal norm. In order to attract and retain new customers, RCL has evidently relaxed their dress suggestions, as evidenced by the increase in non-formal wear. That's the "new normal". The seasoned cruiser may long for the return of a black tie formal experience (i.e. everyone well-dressed) on RCL, but it's not going to happen.

RCL is in the hospitality industry, which by definition requires that it caters to the desires of it's customer base. If a corporation does not adapt, it will die a slow death. Fare-paying passengers greatly influence the decisions RCL makes. The last thing they want is to lose potential revenue, regardless of the "class" of it's patrons.

To summarize, it is not up to any passenger (regardless of how strongly they feel) to summarily insist a fellow passenger dress a certain way when the manner of dress is "suggested". RCL is allowing those in business casual-type clothing to dine in the MDR on the themed formal night. So be it. What is the harm? They allow it - end of discussion.

On the other hand, reports indicate that RCL has begun to vigorously enforce their long-standing rule against shorts, flip-flops, etc. in the MDR. Again, that is their right, and by being so enforced, we as passengers have an obligation to follow it.

Good post. I would just add the it would be nice if RCL informed their customers of this change in policy (the policy of the ships' personnel ignoring the corporate rule) before boarding (and packing). That way their customers can decide to stay with RCL and oblige the new policy or vote with their wallets and buy a competitor's product.

Edited by DirtyDawg

The food in the MDR isn't worth dressing up for. When then start serving something worthwhile, I'll dress up. Otherwise, Windjammer isn't much different. Diamond Plus - and about ready to jump ship. I don't cruise to "dress up" -- I cruise to relax. I rarely go to the MDR, but when I do, I never have a problem in shorts and flip flops. If they are getting strict, so be it. I'll stay out. Most people look ridiculous in their "dress clothes" anyway. :eek:

Why are you all talking about formal night? Who brought up formal night? How come every time someone wants to wear shorts people talk about formal night? What has one got to do with the other?

My preference; shorts A-OK on all casual night. If they want to require pants on formal night I'd play along to that. There, that's the end of formal talk.

So back to the regularly scheduled program, yes, I'd like to wear my khaki shorts to dinner in the Caribbean, most especially on casual nights. I live in a place where today was 88°. And I don't have to wear pants for work either. So, I really don't want to be required to dress what is, to ME, more uncomfortably on vacation than I do in daily life.

I believe the options as they stand are bunk. Buffet or specialty dining. Why should I pay more to be comfortable on my Caribbean vacation? Or why should I sacrifice table service that I've paid for in order to be comfortable. Shouldn't my relaxing, rejuvenating, pampering Caribbean vacation be comfortable for me to enjoy? If you want to wear a wool suit every night, or a cashmere jumpsuit, be my guest. ENJOY YOUR DINNER!

I sure see a lot of guys running around ships at night in shorts. They put on pants to eat, then go back and waste time to change into shorts to go be, you know, comfortable on your Caribbean vacation? Not all, but quite a bit I see guys in shorts at night. I've certainly changed after dinner too.

Why do people think that unless I am "forced" to wear pants that I will choose to wear basketball shorts or a bathing suit? I don't wear those items to restaurants at home, why would I do that on a ship? Why would my desire to wear shorts mean I wouldn't shower and come right from the pool or gym? It's always such an absurd thing to read people say. It's a completely irrational response and yet so many repeat it over and over again. No matter how many people say it, it won't make any sense. Do you mean to say in my desire to be comfortable I completely lose my entire fashion sense and personal grooming habits and will bring my mowing the lawn clothes on the ship and live in them all week? A purely stupid response.

And why is this an issue for men and not women? I see women in shorts on every night of every cruise I've been on and it has absolutely not ever been any sort of issue whatsoever. So someone please explain why it's okay to apply a standard to mens dress but not to women? Personally it doesn't bother me one bit, not one iota. But I am curious why the double standard.

We all have better things to do with our lives. I really don't care what you wear and I don't care what you "judge" me as either. Whatever goes on in your head is your problem.

Great Post, I think a few of these "fashion critics" have pathetic little lives where they have nothing better to do. I can see them already, casting looks that could kill as someone walks by there table not dressed properly. And can you hear the conversation at there tables, more about how others are dressed than what they did that day. LOL Oh what is this world coming to? I am guessing that most of the fashion critics are just jealous they can't be seen in shorts anymore, so no one needs to wear them.

When I go to dinner with my wife, all I am concerning myself with is having a nice evening with her. I am definitely not concerning myself with my tablemates clothing choices, I have more important stuff to concern myself with. LOL

you know I don't have lot of empathy for the 'but, but it's always been not enforced' attitude

it's policy. who cares if it is not policed/enforced every single time on every single ship on every single itinerary.

people who respect themselves, their fellow cruisers and the cruise line should ABIDE BY THE POLICT REGARDLESS OF ENFORCEMENT.

the Military has a saying: Integrity is doing the right thing even if no one is watching.

As an ex-military man myself, retired, lets not talk integrity of the military on a cruise blog, we could go back and forth on that for years, or ignore that those talking the loudest here are allowing how others dress affect their vacation, which is nuts!:eek:

How about this old expression, 'mind your own business'!:D

The food in the MDR isn't worth dressing up for. When then start serving something worthwhile, I'll dress up. Otherwise, Windjammer isn't much different. Diamond Plus - and about ready to jump ship. I don't cruise to "dress up" -- I cruise to relax. I rarely go to the MDR, but when I do, I never have a problem in shorts and flip flops. If they are getting strict, so be it. I'll stay out. Most people look ridiculous in their "dress clothes" anyway. :eek:

Even though I agree with you that the rule is idiotic for a tropics cruise, I do put on long pants for the MDR. Showing my legs in the MDR would drive the ladies wild. There would be mass hysteria, like when the Beatles played the Ed Sullivan show way back when. :D I don't want to sound conceited but my Gams are a sight to be seen! In those best leg contests it's usually between me and Chubaka.;)

At least in an island restaurant I can wear shorts and the ladies can escape down the beach. Not enough exits in an MDR.:eek: So I cover my legs in the second rate MDR for the greater good. :p

Hi Truth.

Agreed, and it was the OP who first mentioned that this was being enforced after several cruises where it was not! But the clothes police couldn't restrain themselves!

Common among some cruisers, they'll want to put their interpretation of RCL policies and suggestions on you, like its their company! Its not, and its really none of their business!

If RCL wants to enforce what they call suggestions for the MDR attire, that's their call, and their business will benefit, or suffer from it!

By the way, on our last Allure cruise which cost a lot more then a Galveston cruise, there were shorts, and tee shirts in the MDR!:eek:

What we found disturbing was a table of really loud, obnoxious, 'well dressed' adults sitting near us who somehow thought we shouldn't be allowed to talk at our table over their loud, obnoxious behavior! The young people in the shorts and tee shirts sitting at another table displayed far better manners!

The old saying, 'clothes don't make the person' seemed true!

This thread is so funny. How many people state that wearing shorts was the majority, but yet on all the RCCL I've been on, you barely see anyone wearing shorts. Even the short cruises.

Adult men should learn to be adults. It's not hard to wear pants when eating. No one needs to hold hands, and tell you what is appropriate. You already know it.

I live in the tropics. I wear pants every day. The outside temperature today is 82. I am wearing pants. Just because it is "hot" does not mean you can do what you want.

Yes, if I am dressed appropriately, and one of my table mates decides to come in wearing shorts, t-shirt and a baseball cap, it is annoying. It's a sign of disrepect.

I must have missed the appointment of you being the decider of what makes an adult male an adult!:eek:

And we live in the tropics, and we rarely wear long pants, and if it disrespects you, too bad!:eek:

BTW the dress code/suggestions is exactly that, suggestions that are sometimes enforced, and sometimes not, and the OP has let everyone know that on this particular cruise, it has been enforced as a rule, not a suggestion!

I was on the Freedom last summer and told my hubby he had to wear pants to dinner every night. The second night was formal night and the third night he was wearing slacks. He counted 20 men in shorts from the time we entered the dining room until we were seated 5 tables from the door. I could not get him in pants the rest of the of the cruise and 90% of the men were not in pants. They all looked great in their collared shirts and 'dressy' shorts.

I thank the OP for posting this because we are planning another return trip on the Freedom and I will make sure he packs at least one pair of just in case pants. ;)

Your post and the OP's are factual posts of experiences while many here are posting their desires of an enforced dress code/suggestion by RCL!

The so called dress code is 'SUGGESTED ATTIRE', and the point of the OP's comment was RCL out of Galveston is 'requiring long pants' in the MDR, not suggesting!

I have debated about chiming in here.. but I think i am just going to.

1. As many other frequent cruises have posted. Other than the first night of the sailing, it's very common knowledge what is appropriate attire in the MD

2. Although I have gotten rid of the coat and tie a couple years ago, I would not even consider stepping foot in their without at least a pair of dockers and a polo shirt.

3. I am one of those people that become frustrated on a formal night when you see people fresh from the pool in a concert t shirt ripped jeans or shorts and flippies in the main dining room. LISTEN TO ME! THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER PLACES ON THE SHIP THAT YOU CAN EAT IF YOU DONT WANT TO DRESS AS REQUIRED. NO ONE IS TELLING YOU TO WEAR A TUX, BUT I CANT BELIEVE YOU WOULD GO ON A CRUISE WITHOUT ONE PAIR OF CASUAL DRESS PANTS. And to that point, there have been many nights where I just go to the buffet because I dont feel like showering or getting dressed up. I am sure there are other cruise lines (maybe carnival) that might be more lax on this. But then again there are many cruise lines that are Formal every night NO EXCEPTIONS. UGHHHHHHHHHH

Perhaps you should point your frustrations towards not being frustrated what others do!:eek:

Good philosophy!:D

We have a car dealer in town who advertises lowest prices, no negotiation needed. That's their rule. Do they negotiate on price? Of, course they do. Some rule.:rolleyes: A rule is not a rule unless it is enforced consistanly and fairly. Otherwise it's only a suggestion, or guideline...... "Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner.". :D

We have a law against jaywalking. It is hardy ever enforced. Guess what, people jaywalk. Our speed limit on major highways is 100 kph. The police never give a speeding ticket until 110 or 115. Guess what, almost everyone goes at least 110. That 100 limit is just a guideline.

Glad you like my philosophy.....but there is a big difference with a 'law' that has a serious penalty and it is there for the safety benefits of everyone. And everyone knows the cost that the penalty if you are stopped for breaking the law. And many of us do drive faster than the stated speed limit, and it is only at a certain number of MPH over the limit that they stop speeders, even though they can stop you for being just 1 MPH over the limit. Also too subjective (IMO).

UGHHHH this is why I debated on replying. If you dont have enough class or respect for yourself or others to dress properly in a dining room. then simply dont go there. Some people save up for years to go on a cruise, and the formal dining room is something they look forward to immensely, I admit I got sucked into this childish post, but come on people... Put on your big boy and girl pants or go to the buffet.

Or maybe you exhibit 'Class' and 'Respect for yourself' by minding your own business on what others want to dress in!:eek:

Your interpretations such as what is big boy/big girl are yours, and in case you didn't know, the name is 'Main' dining room, not 'Formal' dining room!:)

it all comes down to respect.

respect for the line's request that you do so, respect for the other people a round you and enough SELF respect to do as requested without having to thumb you nose at said request.

I know many of you are like 'well I don't care what other people think of me" but trust me you ARE being judged. and not in a flattering way if you deliberately flaunt your disregard of you host's requests.

I don't lose my appetite at lunch as it is not expected to be dressed up during he day. it is the standard to be more casual. Also, Breakfast and lunch in the MDR is far faster, and much less formalized.. you get seated randomly, you have fewer courses, and service is quicker.

Downtown Abbey has it right.. you used to DRESS for dinner..EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.

The dress code is a suggestion, not a request!:eek:

These threads to me are just fun!

Agree completely. I find it amusing that some people choose who they pass judgment on(dress code), but keep their traps shut when Susie 's adorable (not) kids run through the solarium or their fat grammy thinks it's cool to save half a row in the theater. My position is that until they enforce all the rules, I'll do as I please. See you in the dining room. I'll be the one laughing and wearing the dirty shorts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you like my philosophy.....but there is a big difference with a 'law' that has a serious penalty and it is there for the safety benefits of everyone. And everyone knows the cost that the penalty if you are stopped for breaking the law. And many of us do drive faster than the stated speed limit, and it is only at a certain number of MPH over the limit that they stop speeders, even though they can stop you for being just 1 MPH over the limit. Also too subjective (IMO).

Up here the policy is not to ticket for speeds up to at least 110. If the Government wants to change that policy they can, but the government would be wise to advise the public beforehand or suffer the wrath of their customers voting with their .... votes. ;) Different? slightly perhaps, but the principle is the same.

My personal philosophy is, if there is a rule (that is not somehow "wrong" or excessively burdensome), just follow it, so the staff can focus on more important things than being "enforcers."

That's where you're off track Paul, RCL dress is 'suggested' attire, NOT A RULE!

The OP pointed out that on the Galveston Cruise staff were enforcing the 'suggested attire'!

Others like you have gotten off track on posting your interpretations of what suggested is! Suggested does not mean required, or its a rule!

RCL over the years has left it ambiguous so each ship's staff can interpret MDR attire as they wish!

The OP has informed future cruisers out of this port of current MDR interpretations by this ship's staff!

These threads to me are just fun!

Agreed!

Lets put aside the MDR suggested attire debate to,

RCL shouldn't allow in the MDR ugly people:mad:, old people:mad:, fat people:mad:, or women who smell like they bathed in perfume rather then take a shower!!:eek:

Lets limit the MDR to only young, beautiful, non-smelly people willing to wear nothing!:D