Nova Scotia, New Brunswick

sail7seas

Requesting help from our Atlantic Canada CC'ers.

All the times I have been to Saint John, Halifax and Sydney, I have never determined if there are bridges to drive from Sydney to Saint John. Is it possible to drive? Ferry?

I love the Confederation Bridge at PEI but cannot recall for Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

Thank you.

Edited by sail7seas

Nova Scotia isn't an island. Cape Breton Island, where Sydney is (though it may technically be several islands), but the main part of Nova Scotia is not. There would be no need for a bridge to connect it to the "mainland" as it's not disconnected. And I know there is a bridge connecting Cape Breton Island to mainland Nova Scotia.

So, yes, you can drive from Syndey, Nova Scotia to St. John, New Brunswick. But no, there is not a bridge crossing the Bay of Fundy from Nova Scotia to New Brunswick.

Edited by ellieanne

I looked at maps before questioning here and it was not clear to me that it was drivable from Sydney to Halifax. There are fingers of land and then inlets and perhaps the maps I was looking at weren't as clear as might be.

Edited by sail7seas

All the times I have been to Saint John, Halifax and Sydney, I have never determined if there are bridges to drive from Sydney to Saint John. Is it possible to drive? Ferry?

I love the Confederation Bridge at PEI but cannot recall for Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

Thank you.

It is about a 6 hour drive. There is actually one bridge (Seal Island Bridge) that you cross when you drive from Sydney to Saint John. The bridge is in Cape Breton and crosses to Kelly Mtn.

There is actually one other bridge to cross. It is at the Cape Breton Causeway. There is a swinging bridge to let boat traffic through.

IMG_7711_zpsllefy3ni.jpg

IMG_7708_zps1omvythh.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsu2sqmgky.jpg

It is a beautiful drive down Kelly's Mtn and across the bridge. Very high above the water inlet.

Edited by shrimpboat123
add pictures

Sorry have been on dog care duty so not on the boards a lot, but hope I can help here.

First of all, there is NO St. John, in New Brunswick. St. John's is in Newfoundland (good to be aware of if you are flying as you or your luggage can end up in the wrong place.

Saint John = New Brunswick (or Nouveau Brunswick - we are bilingual after all) and St. John's = Newfoundland. (two completely different provinces and VERY far away) Trust me, you don't want to end up in one place versus the other - it's a LONG trip back.

There is no bridge to Cape Breton. It is a causeway. ( with a swing bridge for boats) One bridge here or there is just part of the Maritimes and we are used to getting here and there by using them.

there are bridges everywhere here, but not necessary except to PEI to get from place to place.

I sure wouldn't contemplate the drive is all I can say.

Edited by kazu

Sorry have been on dog care duty so not on the boards a lot, but hope I can help here.

First of all, there is NO St. John, in New Brunswick. St. John's is in Newfoundland (good to be aware of if you are flying as you or your luggage can end up in the wrong place.

Both Shrimpboat and I wrote Saint John. :confused:

Shrimpboat lists New Brunswick as home.

We didn't mention St. John's or Newfoundland.

Saint John = New Brunswick (or Nouveau Brunswick - we are bilingual after all) and St. John's = Newfoundland. (two completely different provinces and VERU far away) Trust me, you don't want to end up in one place versus the other - it's a LONG trip back.

There is no bridge to Cape Breton. It is a causeway. One bridge here or there is just part of the Maritimes and we are used to getting here and there by using them.

there are bridges everywhere here, but not necessary except to PEI to get from place to place.

I sure wouldn't contemplate the drive is all I can say.

Thank you.

Edited by sail7seas

Both Shrimpboat and I wrote Saint John. :confused:

Shrimpboat lists New Brunswick as home.

We didn't mention St. John's or Newfoundland.

Thank you.

It was post number two that referred to St. John and that is what Kazu was addressing. Nobody accused you of making an error.

It was post number two that referred to St. John and that is what Kazu was addressing. Nobody accused you of making an error.

That post was St. John...... not St. John's as Kazu wrote and no mention of Newfoundland.

Thank you.

Did you try Google Maps. Use it for all route questions.

DON

There is no bridge to Cape Breton. It is a causeway. (with a swing bridge for boats)

I think that's getting a bit pedantic about the issue. I'm sure many people, including locals, refer to the structure as a "bridge" in general terms whether it is specifically technically correct or not.

As for the Saint John issue, I apologize. I did not realize the first word was not abbreviated in the name of the city (though for what it's worth, a google search for St. John, New Brunswick will lead to results for Saint John, New Brunswick.)

I think that's getting a bit pedantic about the issue. I'm sure many people, including locals, refer to the structure as a "bridge" in general terms whether it is specifically technically correct or not.

As for the Saint John issue, I apologize. I did not realize the first word was not abbreviated in the name of the city (though for what it's worth, a google search for St. John, New Brunswick will lead to results for Saint John, New Brunswick.)

Actually, Maritimers refer to ithe connection to Cape Breton as the Canso Causeway. Call it a bridge and you are immediately pegged as a "come from away".

People from Saint John and St. John's always make a point of trying to educate people about the difference because over the years there have been serious economic repercussions for those who have confused the two. The name St. John was officially changed to Saint John many years ago to help ease confusion over what was a serious issue.

I once booked an Air Miles ticket over the phone from Saint John to Edmonton. That was back in the days when tickets were mailed to your house. The ticket arrived and I was all set for a nice trip from St. John's to Edmonton. Since it was a non refundable ticket I had to raise quite a stink to get it changed.

We really like to see cruise passengers know the difference. I remember once telling a CC member that the car he rented for his arrival in Saint John would be sitting in Newfoundland waiting for him if he didn't change his reservation.

Please try to understand that we are not being picky when we make the geographic correction. We just don't like to see our visitors making a big mistake whether they are travelling to one of the cities for business or pleasure. It happens to business people a great deal too.

Edited by sapper1

People from Saint John and St. John's always make a point of trying to educate people about the difference because over the years there have been serious economic repercussions for those who have confused the two. The name St. John was officially changed to Saint John many years ago to help ease confusion over what was a serious issue.

I did not know about the official name change. Thanks for this; makes perfect sense.

>SNIP<

I once booked an Air Miles ticket over the phone from Saint John to Edmonton. That was back in the days when tickets were mailed to your house. The ticket arrived and I was all set for a nice trip from St. John's to Edmonton. Since it was a non refundable ticket I had to raise quite a stink to get it changed.

We really like to see cruise passengers know the difference. I remember once telling a CC member that the car he rented for his arrival in Saint John would be sitting in Newfoundland waiting for him if he didn't change his reservation.

Please try to understand that we are not being picky when we make the geographic correction. We just don't like to see our visitors making a big mistake whether they are travelling to one of the cities for business or pleasure. It happens to business people a great deal too.

Thank you so much for this. I'm Canadian, and have NEVER been able to remember which one is which. I remain somewhat confused, but more informed :D

Thank you so much for this. I'm Canadian, and have NEVER been able to remember which one is which. I remain somewhat confused, but more informed :D

I will admit that I have to think about it each time, but I can now remember which is which:

The city with the two full words is in the province with the two full words. (thank goodness NB started using the word spelled out in full!)

It is about a 6 hour drive. There is actually one bridge (Seal Island Bridge) that you cross when you drive from Sydney to Saint John. The bridge is in Cape Breton and crosses to Kelly Mtn.

There is actually one other bridge to cross. It is at the Cape Breton Causeway. There is a swinging bridge to let boat traffic through.

DSC_0002_zpsu2sqmgky.jpg

It is a beautiful drive down Kelly's Mtn and across the bridge. Very high above the water inlet.

That looks like a bridge to me. And I have to agree, it is very beautiful.

That looks like a bridge to me. And I have to agree, it is very beautiful.

This bridge is in the northern part of Cape Breton and is nowhere near the Canso Causeway which connects Cape Breton to the rest of Nova Scotia.

I will admit that I have to think about it each time, but I can now remember which is which:

The city with the two full words is in the province with the two full words. (thank goodness NB started using the word spelled out in full!)

Good thinking Ruth. You are a cleaver gal.:):D:)

IMG_7711_zpsllefy3ni.jpg

IMG_7708_zps1omvythh.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsu2sqmgky.jpg

Shrimpboat123, are the first two pics of the Canso Canal Bridge that opens for boat traffic? And the last one is of the Seal Island Bridge? Sorry for the dumb questions from the westerner here :D

When I looked on Street View Google Earth it is most definitely a causeway, not a bridge, that joins Cape Breton and the rest of Canada (not sure if this link will work, but let's try :D )

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Canso+Causeway,+Inverness,+Subd.+C,+NS/@45.644454,-61.419217,3a,75y,46.81h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sPKjuTatLxmwPY79M1_O7zg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x4b5cfd698e938475:0x6d9b7c30d74fc162!6m1!1e1

And from our national television broadcaster I found this (some really annoying ads at the start, but worth watching IMHO)

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categories/science-technology/engineering/engineering-general/canso-causeway-links-cape-breton-to-mainland.html

What an incredibly beautiful part of the world! Will have to try a land and cruise vacation when/if we retire, when/if we sell our house ;)

Shrimpboat123, are the first two pics of the Canso Canal Bridge that opens for boat traffic? And the last one is of the Seal Island Bridge? Sorry for the dumb questions from the westerner here :D

When I looked on Street View Google Earth it is most definitely a causeway, not a bridge, that joins Cape Breton and the rest of Canada (not sure if this link will work, but let's try :D )

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Canso+Causeway,+Inverness,+Subd.+C,+NS/@45.644454,-61.419217,3a,75y,46.81h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sPKjuTatLxmwPY79M1_O7zg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x4b5cfd698e938475:0x6d9b7c30d74fc162!6m1!1e1

And from our national television broadcaster I found this (some really annoying ads at the start, but worth watching IMHO)

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categories/science-technology/engineering/engineering-general/canso-causeway-links-cape-breton-to-mainland.html

What an incredibly beautiful part of the world! Will have to try a land and cruise vacation when/if we retire, when/if we sell our house ;)

You are correct. I ran out of time editing the original post and got them slightly out of order. Sorry for the slight confusion. :)

The Google Maps link you provided is indeed the road going across the causeway.

If you come to our part of the world, be sure to go around the Cabot Trail in the October time frame. Best time for the changing of the colours IMO.