Should dress codes disappear?

Disney changed their dress code & shorts are now allowed .

They are NOT allowed in the ADULT restaurants. Palo and Remy. Get your facts straight.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/magic/dining/palo/#dressCode

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/dream/dining/remy/

What I find amusing in this thread is that there is a trend among the "dress code" posters is that they immediately assume that everyone will start wearing sleeveless undershirts, basketball shorts and flip flops to dinner. Do any of these people have accredited studies where it proves this will happen? I would find people who wear Carmen Miranda costumes because it is a tropical cruise just as hideous as someone in a Tshirt and shorts in the MDR - they are just out for the attention.

I guess I'm just a slob because I don't make the extra effort to buy a Mother-of-the-Bride dress to wear for 2 hours one day every few years. I guess my Eileen Fisher LBD that I travel with all over the world isn't sufficient for a cruise. I wear minimal neutral makeup, so I'm a slob because I don't "make the extra effort" to make my face up to look like a Chinese whore or a clown. I'm sorry my slovenly, unkempt appearance doesn't meet your approval - I'll stick to cruise lines where having one's nose pointed towards the heavens is not mandatory :rolleyes:

How hard is it to wear a polo shirt, blouse, jacket, non-logo / non-graphic t-shirt, sundress, spring /casual dress, bermuda shorts, jeans with no giant holes in them, slacks/dockers / khakis, cardigans, flats, sneakers, mules, and/or loafers, at the MDR - please let me know me, because some people on this forum, personal observation on my last trips (cruise or otherwise) and life in general failed at it in grand fashion...

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Star Princess about 4 years ago the Antarctica cruise. About 10 days in after cruising between Argentina and the Falklands....first land in a long while. A very nice man sits on the tender with me and DH and he immediately starts apologizing for what he's wearing.

Luggage was lost by the airlines and never caught up with him before we left So. America. He and his wife were unable to obtain anything from the gift shop other than tees. Both were plus sized. Wife was spoken to so badly and poked fun at by other passengers for her attire that he said she's remained in her cabin the entire trip.

Two points....because this has bothered me for years. Those snobs who have no consideration for others and get some sort of enjoyment from hateful and hurtful comments are miserable humans and not worthy of further discussions. And, as a plus gal myself, I wish that there was a way I could have known about this woman's clothing dilemna sooner. As a chronic over packer I would have gladly shared some new dresses and the like. I offered but he was hopeful that the luggage would be waiting at this port.

Sorry for the ramble but I truly wish people would mind their own business about what others are wearing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Disney changed their dress code & shorts are now allowed .

I will gladly later today link the full dress code of no tank tops /swimwear in most of the dining areas and two adult restuarants no shorts for both males and females policy plus what they allow in those two locations. Can't do that right now because I'm my device that makes it had to link stuff but if go on Disney Cruise onboard dining and see the 'What should I wear to dinner', it clearly states the policy for that cruise line.

Star Princess about 4 years ago the Antarctica cruise. About 10 days in after cruising between Argentina and the Falklands....first land in a long while. A very nice man sits on the tender with me and DH and he immediately starts apologizing for what he's wearing.

Luggage was lost by the airlines and never caught up with him before we left So. America. He and his wife were unable to obtain anything from the gift shop other than tees. Both were plus sized. Wife was spoken to so badly and poked fun at by other passengers for her attire that he said she's remained in her cabin the entire trip.

Two points....because this has bothered me for years. Those snobs who have no consideration for others and get some sort of enjoyment from hateful and hurtful comments are miserable humans and not worthy of further discussions. And, as a plus gal myself, I wish that there was a way I could have known about this woman's clothing dilemna sooner. As a chronic over packer I would have gladly shared some new dresses and the like. I offered but he was hopeful that the luggage would be waiting at this port.

Sorry for the ramble but I truly wish people would mind their own business about what others are wearing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

While it's unfortunate that their luggage was lost, didn't it occur to them to take a carry on with a couple changes of clothing--including something suitable for dinner? We had two couples who didn't get their bags until the end of the cruise when we sailed the Med, but they had packed a carry on with enough to get them through.

That said, I wouldn't poke fun of someone.

Edited by ducklite

Again, where are the journal articles from reputable places that state that everyone will dress like they got off the beach or basketball court at dinner time if dress suggestions are relaxed or dropped?

Considering they already do on some lines...

It seems that a few lines would be best off just dropping the dress code altogether except no bathing suits, and shirts and shoes must be worn.

They already don't enforce their requested attire and it seems many of their patrons don't want a dress code. Those who do can come sail on ships where people have a little decency.

Edited by ducklite

They are allowed in the main dining rooms so in order to avoid seeing shorts you will have to spend your whole cruise at Palo & Remy .

Considering they already do on some lines...

It seems that a few lines would be best off just dropping the dress code altogether except no bathing suits, and shirts and shoes must be worn.

They already don't enforce their requested attire and it seems many of their patrons don't want a dress code. Those who do can come sail on ships where people have a little decency.

They don't enforce the dress code they have now, what makes you think they would the no bathing suits, and shirts and shoes must be worn one. They drop the current dress code and I'll be the first one in the dining room wearing a ship's robe and flip flops.

They don't enforce the dress code they have now, what makes you think they would the no bathing suits, and shirts and shoes must be worn one. They drop the current dress code and I'll be the first one in the dining room wearing a ship's robe and flip flops.

Your last sentence pretty much proves why dress codes should never disappear...:rolleyes:

Because they still have to conform to some basic health codes which require shirts and shoes, and wet bathing suits on upholstered furniture is all it takes to enact a bathing suit rule.

Edited by ducklite

Because they still have to conform to some basic health codes which require shirts and shoes, and wet bathing suits on upholstered furniture is all it takes to enact a bathing suit rule.

No one mentioned bathing suits and in case you haven't noticed, people are wearing flip flops in the dining room now.

No one mentioned bathing suits and in case you haven't noticed, people are wearing flip flops in the dining room now.

Actually you did regarding the bathing suits....:rolleyes:

Edited by maywell

How hard is it to wear a polo shirt, blouse, jacket, non-logo / non-graphic t-shirt, sundress, spring /casual dress, bermuda shorts, jeans with no giant holes in them, slacks/dockers / khakis, cardigans, flats, sneakers, mules, and/or loafers, at the MDR - please let me know me, because some people on this forum, personal observation on my last trips (cruise or otherwise) and life in general failed at it in grand fashion...

Yeah that's how I dress just the hemline doesn't reach my ankle. [emoji568]

No, 60s.

There are so few opportunities to dress up these days and I'd hate to lose the cruise ship opportunites.

During port-intensive cruises many people don't have the energy to dress up for dinner after a long day of sightseeing.

The first thing I want after a long day sightseeing is a shower. I do not want to subject other people to my stinky-from-sightseeing self over dinner. After my shower, naturally, I have to dress again if I want dinner outside of my cabin. It's no harder to put on a nice evening outfit as it is to put on more casual clothes.

Yes.

We will be traveling from California to Venice for our next cruise. We will be traveling elsewhere in Europe post-cruise via plane & train.

We've decided to pack light and avoid checking any luggage, so only one carry-on each, just the essentials. We did a similar trip three years ago, hauling luggage and a garment bag around the UK and France. A PITA! So screw that this time.

But we still want to dine in the MDR each evening, and we will.

Yes.

We will be traveling from California to Venice for our next cruise. We will be traveling elsewhere in Europe post-cruise via plane & train.

We've decided to pack light and avoid checking any luggage, so only one carry-on each, just the essentials. We did a similar trip three years ago, hauling luggage and a garment bag around the UK and France. A PITA! So screw that this time.

But we still want to dine in the MDR each evening, and we will.

There is no reason you can't bring a long black skirt and sparkly top for her and a jacket, slacks, dress shirt and tie for him. All of those items can be worn on other nights as well mixed and matched with other items.

Look, if a woman hasn't figure out how to stuff 14 dresses or 5 pairs of capris / slacks / dress pants with 8 blouses along with 2-3 pairs of shoes in a large packing cube or in a wheeled duffel bag by now -No offense, there's no hope for them.....I've seen men come in with just a suit bag & a small gym bag / backpack and still dress up for the evening. All it takes is bit of packing method (folding/ rolling/ stuffed) and the size of your bag (carry-on or check-in, duffel, spinner, expandable, etc) to dress up decently.

Nothing else will fit in my carry on. I'm already pushing the limit for allowable carry on size, and I'm prepared to ditch stuff at the airport if needed to avoid having to check my bag. I'm not carrying or checking anything else, or hauling add'l bags/weight around Europe just so I can meet suggested dress guidelines.

Edited by pseudoware