Should dress codes disappear?

No...40's

Dressing for dinner is part of cruising period. Do I think Tuxes are necessary?No But a tie and or jacket is not to much to ask for "formal"

If its your vacations and you want to wear shorts all week then you have options like the windjammer. Unless of course you are under the age of 6 then shorts are fine.

If RCL relaxes the dress code to allow shorts in the MDR when will it stop? swim suits with a tee shirt on? Or maybe just wet swim suits and robes eating dinner...no thanks

I love all the suggestions that I give up my sit down meal because I don't wear a piece of cloth around my neck. Ties are an absurd archaic fashion. Someday they'll be gone like Elizabethan collar ruffs. And not a day too soon.

Is it really hurting you or anyone if I enjoy a meal with waiter service without a tie?

Sometime you make that decision and sometime the decision is made for you.

In 25 years no one has told me to go somewhere else. Not a crew member OR a guest. It is only on Cruise Critic someone has told me.

We are looking into a cruise to Bermuda on Royal. Do you think I could wear Bermuda shorts in the MDR while we are docked at King's Wharf? You know, the when in Rome thing.

Don't know about Royal Caribbean but on Celebrity it was posted in the daily information that shorts were permitted in the MDR when in Bermuda. However, it was not just any shorts, it was to be like the picture you posted.

Don't know about Royal Caribbean but on Celebrity it was posted in the daily information that shorts were permitted in the MDR when in Bermuda. However, it was not just any shorts, it was to be like the picture you posted.

Smart people over at X.:)

No, 60s.

There are very few chances to dress up and look nice in most of our day to day lives. Although I would not want to "dress" for dinner every night doing so on a ship makes the cruise special for me. I can see shorts and jeans all the time, seeing a man in a nice suit (or better yet, a tux) and a woman in a formal dress is special. Long live the dress codes!

Last summer I was on a Celebrity European cruise where a woman was eating in the dining room dressed only in a bathrobe with a towel on her wet head. And her bathrobe gaped exposing her private parts. Not an appetizing sight. The dining room staff ignored her till someone complained. Only then was she asked to leave. Forget "formal" vs. "casual" dress- I just want to be able to enjoy a meal with people dressed! LOL!:eek::eek::eek:

No, 60s.

Long live the dress codes!

No 50s/60s. I totally agree...its very nice to be able to have choices. Both my DH and I enjoy dressing for dinner on formal nights. On casual nights we still dress nicely...I might wear a cocktail dress and DH wears a sport coat/blazer and nice slacks. Besides its only at night, during the day we dress casual. :)

60s - sitting on the fence so I can do both ;-)

I work at a Forbes 5-star rated hotel. Our fine dining restaurant does not have a dress code for any time of day - I have yet to see anyone in Daisy Dukes or basketball shorts or PJs… We see plenty of jeans and polo shirts, though, and not one guest has yet to shudder in horror and shield their children from such a display of sartorial nastiness…

I

do see that most here are "But" people - no, but or yes, but… which means most DO want to see some change in the code. By the way, do cruise lines now really say "require" or is is "suggest"?

Some love to live in the 50s and play dress up for 2 hours one night. Go for it. There should be a special restaurant set aside for them.

Some love to live in the 60s and do the free love/ free dress thing for 2 hours a night. Go for it. There should be a special restaurant set aside for them.

Let the rest of who dress "country club casual" eat at the MDR, Windjammers, Lido, etc…

So far, the MDRs I've experienced are "pigs with lipstick" - they play at a fine dining venue, but it's really just a glorified wedding reception. I don't care to have a waiter fawn all over me - I don't need that level of attention.

There used to be a cabal of women on this forum who would berate other women because they thought they weren't "making the effort" because they weren't dressing like them or putting on the full face of makeup just to go out to the market. Let's not go down that road again...

Times are a'changin'… Some people embrace change, others fight it tooth and nail… There are no winners in this "poll"...

Edited by slidergirl

It's threads like these that have made us decide that from now on we'll only cruise on ships with a business casual type dress code every night--that is enforced.

I don't necessarily want to drag tux and gowns around, but I don't want to be seated next to Jim Bob in his overalls, baseball cap, flip flops, and John Deere t-shirt, either.

Yes - 40.

What other people wear doesn't at all affect the way my food tastes or how I prefer to dress. If someone wants to wear their bathrobe to the MDR - go for it! Be warned however, that I will point and whisper about how uncouth you look, but I kinda enjoy that sort of thing. lol If I'm in cocktail attire, and the person next to me is in cutoffs and a tank top, I wouldn't mind at all.

No, 43 & 52. We previously cruised with a line that had no dress code, but they did have a "picture" night when some dressed up but most didn't. Yes we saw cut off shorts and t-shirts in the upcharge French Bistro on picture night. Nothing was said to anyone unless they were in a swimsuit without a cover-up, and no bare feet were allowed in any dining venue. It was more casual in general without a true dress code. Our first HAL cruise is coming up in May, and we are looking forward to getting dressed up. We have always gone with smart casual dress by choice, but we are looking forward to the fancy dress twice during the cruise. I pre-booked dinner in the steakhouse onboard, and coincidentally both nights I chose are formal nights, so it's a good thing we are excited about playing dress up those two nights! LOL :D

Lorie

It's threads like these that have made us decide that from now on we'll only cruise on ships with a business casual type dress code every night--that is enforced.

I don't necessarily want to drag tux and gowns around, but I don't want to be seated next to Jim Bob in his overalls, baseball cap, flip flops, and John Deere t-shirt, either.

I don't care what another person is wearing or not wearing, it doesn't affect my appetite. However, if cruise lines want a certain clientele, then a certain standard must be set and met.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

We do "my time dining" so our table is a table for two just like when we go out to eat at a restaurant. I have no idea what the people around me are wearing because I pay attention to my husband, the menu and the food. It just doesn't matter to me if they have a gown and tux on or shorts and tee.

Last summer I was on a Celebrity European cruise where a woman was eating in the dining room dressed only in a bathrobe with a towel on her wet head. And her bathrobe gaped exposing her private parts. Not an appetizing sight. The dining room staff ignored her till someone complained. Only then was she asked to leave. Forget "formal" vs. "casual" dress- I just want to be able to enjoy a meal with people dressed! LOL!:eek::eek::eek:

One post wonder and exposed private parts...seriously? Sure!

YES to a point. 60's

Smart Casual every day is enough. No tee shirts, dress shorts acceptable, no swim wear.

Perhaps a compromise, 1 free restaurant for casual, 1 for higher dress.

Also feel feel that extra pay restaurants could add a higher dress code to entice those who want to dress up to the max.

I agree with the above... It sounds like a great compromise to have one restaurant that's formal for those who particularly enjoy it.

The thing I don't understand is why those who want to dress up can't still dress up no matter what everyone else is wearing. That's what happens in a normal restaurant, right? Some are really dressed up, some aren't. Around here at prom time we'll see formally dressed couples at restaurants while the rest of us are dressed normally. These teenagers seems to be able to have fun without being bent out of shape at the way the rest of us dress.

Oh, and I'm in my late 40s and my husband and I dress for church weekly and for at least one formal party a year, but when we're on vacation and restricted to how much luggage we want to carry dressing formally just isn't important to us... and even if we decided we wanted to dress up, we still wouldn't care what everybody else was wearing.

No, 30's. we need dress codes or else people will go to the MDR in their bathing suits and who the heck wants to see a hairy bare-chested man's chi-chi's that can be mistaken for a nursing female ape? Not me!!! :mad:

I can't really vote a simple yes or no on this one - 50

I don't mind wearing a skirt or slacks for dinner and DH is good in slacks and a polo shirt however, we don't care for formal night at all. DH doesn't own a suit and buying one for a cruise is silly. However, we enjoy eating in the MDR and hate missing out by going to the buffet for 2 nights out of the week.

I can't really vote a simple yes or no on this one - 50

I don't mind wearing a skirt or slacks for dinner and DH is good in slacks and a polo shirt however, we don't care for formal night at all. DH doesn't own a suit and buying one for a cruise is silly. However, we enjoy eating in the MDR and hate missing out by going to the buffet for 2 nights out of the week.

I bought a suit just for cruising. We cruise several tines a year and spend thousands of dollars so a couple of hundred dollars for a suit is nothing.

To all of the people who are saying no because they want/like to dress up, would you not still want to dress up if there was nothing requiring you to?

Or is it more that you would rather not be dressed up if others aren't? I can understand feeling a bit uncomfortable if you were dressed different than the norm or the rest of the ship, but there would be nothing stopping you from doing that if you wanted to without an official dress code.

Edited by laurabegorrah