Just off the Regal Princess 3/15 - 3/22

Paticakes

I was on Regal last week. The priority embarkation for Platinum was a great perk, as we went right into the terminal. However, after we checked in we were stuck in a long line for over half an hour to board the ship...it barely moved. It seemed that the boarding pass pictures as we boarded was what held things up.

We had E432, an "obstructed" balcony and it was a nice size with no obstruction. I would choose it again. Our preordered robes never arrived. We ordered bananas and kiwi and got an orange and a pear instead. We faxed a letter a few weeks ago requesting a top sheet and egg crate mattress topper but that didn't arrive either.

The food...Princess has really embraced fine chocolates by Norman Love and they served amazing chocolate pops on formal night around the centrum, as well as some amazing desserts in the dining room. The chocolate shop was my favorite venue. :) The beef wellington was delicious, as was Alfredo's pizza and ravioli. I ate in the dining room a few times and was not impressed much otherwise...they served only one short rib, the duck was dry, the fish was tasteless. The ice cream at Sprinkles was creamy delicious. The gyros were a great protein option for my lunch salads, every day. Breakfast buffet wasn't great for me. I don't eat pork and wasn't able to find any turkey/chicken bacon/sausages...the only non-pork breakfast meat was deli turkey. The smoked salmon was good and abundant. The frittatas and quiches were very good. The boiled eggs were way undercooked (bright yellow). I hoped for grits but didn't have much luck. They were only in the more midship area of the buffet, and that area closed down by mid-morning. The mornings that I did get there early enough I found the grits to be very good one morning, but room temperature 2 other mornings.

On sea days, the pool deck chairs were all reserved by 8:30. We were able to get chairs in the shade above the buffet. They often ran out of towels around the pool but always found them at the retreat pool. The retreat pool is a nice adult space and there is a bar there.

Vines is a very nice pre-dinner venue, and the wine prices are very reasonable. The wine flights were served in a beautiful display tree.

We enjoyed all of the shows except for the Soul-themed production show, which just put us to sleep. Fiera is the best show at sea IMO. We ordered drinks in the theatre but they never arrived. There was always plenty of entertainment and the 2 main bands were excellent. The MUTS sound on this ship is very clear. The deck party was lots of fun and drew a nice crowd.

The bartenders were mostly very friendly.

Club 6 has happy hour 5-7 daily for Platinum and Elite. The bartender told me that I could have any of the $5 drinks of the day any day, so I ordered wednesday's drink on sunday. Well, they charged me $8.95 but I didn't know until later, because they didn't bring me anything to sign. I also was charged for 3 sodas in the stateroom when I only had 1. I didn't bother to line up to fight these minor overcharges because I didn't want to spend vacation time doing this, but it was annoying. The "free" OBC that came with this cruise booking helped to make up for it.

Bring your smartphone...you can check your account and the activities schedule on wifi for free...this was great!

I LOVED the TV...giant tv right across from the bed, showing free on-demand movies and the Love Boat, lol! It was like being at the movies...in bed! I'm a movie buff, so I'd seen all of the movies showing around the ship already, but in the room I was able to see a few that I had missed.

Disembarkation was the best!!!! After the self-disembarkers left, they announced that everyone else regardless of color could go, and the lines for passport control moved very swiftly.

Edited by royalcruz

I was on Regal last week. The priority embarkation for Platinum was a great perk, as we went right into the terminal. However, after we checked in we were stuck in a long line for over half an hour to board the ship...it barely moved. It seemed that the boarding pass pictures as we boarded was what held things up.

We had E432, an "obstructed" balcony and it was a nice size with no obstruction. I would choose it again. Our preordered robes never arrived. We ordered bananas and kiwi and got an orange and a pear instead. We faxed a letter a few weeks ago requesting a top sheet and egg crate mattress topper but that didn't arrive either.

The food...Princess has really embraced fine chocolates by Norman Love and they served amazing chocolate pops on formal night around the centrum, as well as some amazing desserts in the dining room. The chocolate shop was my favorite venue. :) The beef wellington was delicious, as was Alfredo's pizza and ravioli. I ate in the dining room a few times and was not impressed much otherwise...they served only one short rib, the duck was dry, the fish was tasteless. The ice cream at Sprinkles was creamy delicious. The gyros were a great protein option for my lunch salads, every day. Breakfast buffet wasn't great for me. I don't eat pork and wasn't able to find any turkey/chicken bacon/sausages...the only non-pork breakfast meat was deli turkey. The smoked salmon was good and abundant. The frittatas and quiches were very good. The boiled eggs were way undercooked (bright yellow). I hoped for grits but didn't have much luck. They were only in the more midship area of the buffet, and that area closed down by mid-morning. The mornings that I did get there early enough I found the grits to be very good one morning, but room temperature 2 other mornings.

On sea days, the pool deck chairs were all reserved by 8:30. We were able to get chairs in the shade above the buffet. They often ran out of towels around the pool but always found them at the retreat pool. The retreat pool is a nice adult space and there is a bar there.

Vines is a very nice pre-dinner venue, and the wine prices are very reasonable. The wine flights were served in a beautiful display tree.

We enjoyed all of the shows except for the Soul-themed production show, which just put us to sleep. Fiera is the best show at sea IMO. We ordered drinks in the theatre but they never arrived. There was always plenty of entertainment and the 2 main bands were excellent. The MUTS sound on this ship is very clear. The deck party was lots of fun and drew a nice crowd.

Club 6 has happy hour 5-7 daily for Platinum and Elite. The bartender told me that I could have any of the $5 drinks of the day any day, so I ordered wednesday's drink on sunday. Well, they charged me $8.95 but I didn't know until later, because they didn't bring me anything to sign. I also was charged for 3 sodas in the stateroom when I only had 1. I didn't bother to line up to fight these minor overcharges because I didn't want to spend vacation time doing this, but it was annoying. The "free" OBC that came with this cruise booking helped to make up for it.

Bring your smartphone...you can check your account and the activities schedule on wifi for free...this was great!

I LOVED the TV...giant tv right across from the bed, showing free on-demand movies and the Love Boat, lol! It was like being at the movies...in bed! I'm a movie buff, so I'd seen all of the movies showing around the ship already, but in the room I was able to see a few that I had missed.

Disembarkation was the best!!!! After the self-disembarkers left, they announced that everyone else regardless of color could go, and the lines for passport control moved very swiftly.

Grits were in the back of the Horizon . they were on a line with oatmeal. Cream of wheat. Things like that. they were delicious. thick but not too thick. My husband asked for them in the MDR at breakfast and they always said they did not have them. then ..twice..a few minutes later...they popped up with a bowl of hot grits. Someone had gone upstairs to get them. How nice was that!

So if GRITS make your breakfast complete.........LOOK for the Oatmeal and cream of wheat. They are there in the Horizon Buffet.

The first formal night was the 50th anniversary dinner. Popular dishes from each decade ( starting in 1965) were served. I am misspelling it but Osso Bucco was one of the entrees. I think escargot was on the menu as an appetizer.

This is funny . I was happy to find Osso Buco Agnolotti on the menu and ordered it .

Guess what - it's tortellini ! It was OK but I asked for salmon instead .

IMG_0057.jpg.711b7a55cfc07d2ff9dc633213fbf9cd.jpg

Grits were in the back of the Horizon . they were on a line with oatmeal. Cream of wheat. Things like that. they were delicious. thick but not too thick. My husband asked for them in the MDR at breakfast and they always said they did not have them. then ..twice..a few minutes later...they popped up with a bowl of hot grits. Someone had gone upstairs to get them. How nice was that!

So if GRITS make your breakfast complete.........LOOK for the Oatmeal and cream of wheat. They are there in the Horizon Buffet.

In the mornings I wandered all over the Horizon buffets. They had 3 types of hot cereals including grits in the Horizon Bistro, between midship elevators and pastry shop. This section closed down mid-morning (9:30?), and I could not find any grits in the aft Horizon Court sections of the buffet. They had other hot cereals but I could not find any grits. The grits in the Horizon Bistro were room-temperature to cold 2 out of the 3 mornings that I tried them. They were nice and thick, just perfect, so I was disappointed that they were too cold to eat, too cold to melt butter into. The croissants were very good. :)

The Agnolotti on the ship are what we call Agnolotti in Northern Italy - to us tortellini are a totally different thing. Our waiter brought us a plate to try - he did this several times - bringing us things that he thought we might like. We liked the agnolotti so much - that two of us ordered our own additional plates.

Also one night at the entrance to the dining room the Maitre d or supervisor was making Penne - Arrabiata - outstanding. Two plates later, and I could have eaten more. They also did Cherries Jubilee one night.

I am surprised to see all of the negative Regal Princess food comments - this was my seventh Princess cruise, and found the food quality to be outstanding in every venue - the best ever.

Regarding the Caesar Salad - I enjoy extra anchovies - as did my table mates - and our salads were always full of large, plump anchovies. I think Princess has actually increased their food budget.

We are on the Regal in December. Is the embarkation you mentioned above normal for this ship? I would think that disembarking all at once "regardless of color tags" would be hectic.

We are on the Regal in December. Is the embarkation you mentioned above normal for this ship? I would think that disembarking all at once "regardless of color tags" would be hectic.

I was thinking the same thing. Everything would be backed up big time with extra long lines thru customs with very short tempers:confused:

Hi,

The robes must be requested when you board. The robes are never in your room upon boarding, even if you request them through the cruise personalized befire sailing ;). Also, you have to ask your room steward directly for the top sheet.

As for the fruit selection, they don't always have the specific fruits requested as available

When we first boarded and immediately upon meeting our room steward we asked her for a fresh shower curtain (due to the moldy smelling one we had) a top sheet, robes and extra glasses. We have found that our needs have always been met when dealing with the steward versus trying to pre-order things over the personalizer

The Agnolotti on the ship are what we call Agnolotti in Northern Italy - to us tortellini are a totally different thing. Our waiter brought us a plate to try - he did this several times - bringing us things that he thought we might like. We liked the agnolotti so much - that two of us ordered our own additional plates.

Also one night at the entrance to the dining room the Maitre d or supervisor was making Penne - Arrabiata - outstanding. Two plates later, and I could have eaten more. They also did Cherries Jubilee one night.

I am surprised to see all of the negative Regal Princess food comments - this was my seventh Princess cruise, and found the food quality to be outstanding in every venue - the best ever.

Regarding the Caesar Salad - I enjoy extra anchovies - as did my table mates - and our salads were always full of large, plump anchovies. I think Princess has actually increased their food budget.

I have always enjoyed the osso bucco wagon wheel pasta so I think I will try the items you mentioned. Also love anchovies.

Also if I'm having any trouble ordering I usually ask the waiter for a suggestion, often get very good advice even in ATD.

We sailed on the Regal in mid February. This was our 18th Princess Cruise. Loved the ship and had a great time. We have always loved the food in the MDR and looked forward to the new menus. We dined three nights in the Symphony dining room. Unfortunately we were not enamored with the new menus and ended up ordering most of the courses from the everyday menu. :( We did the Winemakers Table one night which was great. We dined at the Crown Grill two nights which was pure heaven, and we dined the last night at Alfredos which we loved. :)

We loved the Regal and would sail on her again in a heart beat, but unless they improve the menu in the MDR, we would only dine at the Specialty restaurants and/or Buffet. It's a real shame because we have had so many outstanding meals on most of our past 17 Princess Cruises.

We thought the entertainment was great. Especially loved Spectacular and Fiero. We spent the sea days in the Sanctuary which was just wonderful. Did an independent all day sailboat in St. Thomas and an independent all day speed boat tour in St. Maarten. Both were incredible. :)

The absence of mid ship stairs was no big deal at all for us. Didn't use mid ship elevators much, but when I did they were usually very crowded and stopped at almost every floor!:eek:

Great cruise, hope to be on another one soon!

I'm not sure what is normal for this ship, but this is how it went...

There was a P.A. announcement that stated that we were ahead of schedule. There was an announcement that everyone with self-disembarkation should head to the gangway. We headed to our disembarkation lounge in one of the dining rooms. We sat down and a minute later heard an announcement that everyone can now disembark regardless of color tags. We stepped out of the dining room and walked off the ship, the gangway being a few feet away. There was a short, moving line in the terminal. We got through quickly and found our luggage and got into the passport control line, which seemed to have hundreds of people in it, but it moved really quickly. The officers merely glanced at passports and customs forms. This was a sold out cruise with many families, so it was at high capacity. If this is the new normal, I like it. A lot. :)

Wow, sorry to hear you did not like the new menus. I had the same on the Emerald last month and I really liked all the new items, especially the Roti wraps.

Glad the rest of the cruise was good.

Just off the Emerald on the 22nd (review to come, as well). We, too, did not like the new menu.

We are not picky eaters..just the opposite..and we've always enjoyed the menu options and frequently had to "dial it back" because so many items sounded appealing.

Not this time. I agree with OP that the heavily Caribbean themed menu was too heavily Caribbean. The Caribbean items we tried were yummy...but there was not enough variation.

The biggest disappointment were the cold soups...they only offered 2 or 3 thoughout the week and they served them in a hurricane glass with a straw...a very unappealing way to eat a cold soup.

The 2nd biggest disapointment was Italian Night. The Italian specialties were Spaghetti and Meatballs and the "available every night" option of fettucini alfredo. No pesto option, no ravioli option, no carbonara option ..no nothing else Italian. So....disappointing.

At least they had Tiramisu on the dessert menu.

Edited by Crowsie
typo

For the record....steak was served exactly one night. And it was covered in sauce, which to me was greasy. I could not eat it.

When people make comments about one thing or another that they had concerns about on Princess, they are not personally insulting the cruise line or other posters on the board.

they are just expressing an opinion. I cannot believe that only two of us felt the same way about the new menu.

Inclusion of local foods is good. Everyone is down with diversity and immersion in other cultures, etc. But I don't see how eating red beans or black beans and rice , highly spiced, or pork, which many people avoid eating helps the cause. I am a bean and pea eater from way back. I love the Caribbean. I spend money when we go there which helps the economy. I respect the people and their lovely islands.

One night I ordered the chicken fingers from the Children's menu. they were quite good. I thought about ordering the spaghetti the next night, but was too embarrassed.

I hope this post is nice, and people can express an opinion without getting flamed. If Princess reads these boards, perhaps there is a middle ground. More green salads. More of the old soups...the cold soups....the vegetable one. ( not the current pepper pot)....more of the old fresh fruit starters..loved those.

And if you can order off the menu every night or the night before...............if you can not find anything to eat.on the regular menu, .......you are on the wrong cruise line. And if you are a very nice person, friendly and such, polite, well mannered...and Princess loses you....that is not a win win for Princess.

Looking forward to our cruise on Regal this coming December but not looking forward to MDR reflux exacerbation! Perhaps we've been spoiled by the excellent MDR food on our last four cruises on NCL, HAL, X, RCCL. Time will tell and we'll think positive. :)

This is funny . I was happy to find Osso Buco Agnolotti on the menu and ordered it .

Guess what - it's tortellini ! It was OK but I asked for salmon instead .

A minor point, but the photo you posted is in fact of agnolotti. Tortellini are "little navels" and are formed into a ring shape.

Just off the Emerald on the 22nd (review to come, as well). We, too, did not like the new menu.

We are not picky eaters..just the opposite..and we've always enjoyed the menu options and frequently had to "dial it back" because so many items sounded appealing.

Not this time. I agree with OP that the heavily Caribbean themed menu was too heavily Caribbean. The Caribbean items we tried were yummy...but there was not enough variation.

The biggest disappointment were the cold soups...they only offered 2 or 3 thoughout the week and they served them in a hurricane glass with a straw...a very unappealing way to eat a cold soup.

The 2nd biggest disapointment was Italian Night. The Italian specialties were Spaghetti and Meatballs and the "available every night" option of fettucini alfredo. No pesto option, no ravioli option, no carbonara option ..no nothing else Italian. So....disappointing.

The menu from the last live from the emerald 3/1 ( you can search) matched very closely what princess has offered on Italian night ( don't remember pesto, ravioli or carbonara on Italian night before) including a couple of seafood and the Barolo roast choices. the menus posted on that live review are not that different from the old ones, which many wanted changed to have new choices.

Sorry you were disappointed.

Edited by happy cruzer

A minor point, but the photo you posted is in fact of agnolotti. Tortellini are "little navels" and are formed into a ring shape.

The Agnolotti on the ship are what we call Agnolotti in Northern Italy - to us tortellini are a totally different thing.
I was going to post that I thought I was ordering Osso Buco but agnolotti turned out to be a stuffed pasta.

Instead I wrote tortellini for the sake of simplicity . I guess not .:o:p

Edited by richstowe

I was going to post that I thought I was ordering Osso Buco but agnolotti turned out to be a stuffed pasta.

Instead I wrote tortellini for the sake of simplicity . I guess not .:o:p

The Osso Buco agnolotti was so delicious. The stuffed pasta in Alfredo's was also excellent. Princess does a great job with pizza and pasta.

It worked. The above poster had the same exact experience as we did. Very Orderly. People were where they should be before they had to be there.No confusion.

ONE thing I did note VERY FEW people carrying their own luggage off. The time slated for them....was not used. I really did not see anyone with large suitcases.

Could that be difference? Because getting off of Princess.............totally a breeze. Organized. Orderly. Fast. A+++++ Excellent. Fast. I could go on and on. I was amazed honestly.

If you ask your waiter, he/she will put it in a regular soup dish for you.

I'm not sure what is normal for this ship, but this is how it went...

There was a P.A. announcement that stated that we were ahead of schedule. There was an announcement that everyone with self-disembarkation should head to the gangway. We headed to our disembarkation lounge in one of the dining rooms. We sat down and a minute later heard an announcement that everyone can now disembark regardless of color tags. We stepped out of the dining room and walked off the ship, the gangway being a few feet away. There was a short, moving line in the terminal. We got through quickly and found our luggage and got into the passport control line, which seemed to have hundreds of people in it, but it moved really quickly. The officers merely glanced at passports and customs forms. This was a sold out cruise with many families, so it was at high capacity. If this is the new normal, I like it. A lot. :)

Wow! Never heard of a disembark that was so quick --- hope mine will be like that come December. Thanks for the response I appreciate it.

It worked. The above poster had the same exact experience as we did. Very Orderly. People were where they should be before they had to be there.No confusion.

ONE thing I did note VERY FEW people carrying their own luggage off. The time slated for them....was not used. I really did not see anyone with large suitcases.

Could that be difference? Because getting off of Princess.............totally a breeze. Organized. Orderly. Fast. A+++++ Excellent. Fast. I could go on and on. I was amazed honestly.

Thanks for your post. Hope my cruise disembarks just as fast.

But night after night.....there was nothing on that evening menu I could eat. It seemed everything was Caribbean, highly spiced, with a lot of black beans, red beans, and rice. Lots and lots of pork. I am from Alabama. I can fry pork chops and glaze hams as well as anyone. One of my favorite meals is dried Lima beans, corn bread and onions.

I like pinto beans, great northern beans, about 100 different kinds of peas.....but good grief. Night after night?

My husband ordered the grilled fish every night and he was happy with that. I ordered the trout crusted with almonds on embarkation day and that was good. After that...........one night I ordered tomato soup. Well, it was Caribbean Tomato soup. The next day I was up in Calypso Bay buying tums. The first time since I quit smoking 32 years ago. I woke up thinking I was having a heart attack. The last night we dined there, my husband had a bowl of soup and a salad. I remember the Main Dining Room on the Crown. Caribbean Princess. Star. as wonderful. SOMETHING has changed. And it was hard to get just a salad. Some type of lettuce. Few tomatoes. etc. Again, it seemed that the salad had ingredients I had never heard of, and that someone was wildly running around in the galley with a hot pepper sauce bottle.

Sorry for your problem with the food. Mine is quite the opposite in that I like properly spiced food and I stress properly spiced. That doesn't mean tabasco is poured over everything. It does mean that appropriate herbs and spices are used in the preparation. I've stopped ordering jerk chicken on any cruise line because I know it will be bland, and if I complain that it is just regular chicken, the waiter will come out with a bottle of tabasco, as if that will cure the problem of poor preparation.

Oh, and usually the waiter will explain that many passengers don't care for spicy foods to which I will respond that those passengers should not order items that require spices. And so we go ring around the rosy.

Surely, a menu with six or more main course choices should accommodate various tastes. Generally, my experience is that it errs towards the bland; what you describe would be the opposite. Either way, professional chefs should be able to make everyone happy in some fashion. OTH some people are simply picky and can never be satisfied. For them there is no hope.:rolleyes:

While in any restaurant I try to order items that I am either not familiar with or incapable of preparing. Some dishes require ingredients that are just not readily available to me at home. I only resort to ordering a steak on those rare nights that nothing else appeals to me. Yes, I am omnivorous. Wasn't steak available? You're right, the Princess pizza is excellent, but pizza every night is not why most people cruise. Again, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the MDR food but DW and I will be on the Royal in September and maybe there will be something for us to look forward to in the food department.

Edited by BosoxI

IMO, the Italian night in the buffet is so much better:D