Question regarding 3 people in an oceanview stateroom

rc1973

Hi! My husband and I are thinking about booking a cruise with our 4 year old son. We have been on NCL before but are interested in a Bermuda cruise with Celebrity. We were thinking of booking an oceanview stateroom, but the website doesn't really make clear how well it could accommodate 3 people. It looks like there is only one bed. Do some rooms have fold out couches? I am just curious if this would be comfortable or if the room would be too small for us, and what the sleeping arrangement would be. Thanks

Staterooms tend to have either convertible sofas or a berth that the stateroom attendent will pull down from the ceiling during turn down service. You would need to look at the deck plan and your stateroom to see which staterooms have what.

Hi! My husband and I are thinking about booking a cruise with our 4 year old son. We have been on NCL before but are interested in a Bermuda cruise with Celebrity. We were thinking of booking an oceanview stateroom, but the website doesn't really make clear how well it could accommodate 3 people. It looks like there is only one bed. Do some rooms have fold out couches? I am just curious if this would be comfortable or if the room would be too small for us, and what the sleeping arrangement would be. Thanks
Yes, an oceanview stateroom can accommodate 3 people, but whether or not that would be a desirable way to do it is another matter.

With a 4 year old, I would want to get two connecting cabins, or at least a veranda cabin so the adults can have a comfortable, relaxing place to sit and talk after the child goes to sleep, or while he is napping.

A cabin typically has 2 single beds that you can choose to have positioned either together as one queen-sized bed or apart.

If you all must be in one cabin, I would suggest having the child sleep in a pull-down bed instead of on the couch if feasible, which would at least leave you the use of the couch.

If you would not mind being up at the front of the ship, there are some much larger oceanview staterooms up there.

Thanks. When booking the cruise, I guess we will just have to figure out what that particular stateroom has.
Just look at the symbols on the deck plans and it is easy to tell.

A square indicates a convertible sofa bed.

A triangle indicates a pull-down upper berth.

A small perpendicular line across the dividing line between two cabins indicates that they are connecting cabins.

We had 3112 on the Summit. There was a mini love seat that could have been used as a pull-out. With it open there would have been no room to move. I would not recommend this and agree with the previous poster that at least with a balcony you could put the child to bed and sit outside.

I think a bed that pulls out from the ceiling would give you more room.

If your cabin is for three people, the third person will sleep in a foldout couch/chair, like this in 2011 on Summit:

BG-54.jpg

This is what a cabin looks like with the couch folded up:

BG-45.jpg

If the cabin is for four, it will have two bunks in the ceiling, such as this one:

BG-55.jpg

There will still be the chair, but it is not a foldout:

BG-56.jpg

Thanks so much for this information! It was really helpful to see the photos too, Essiesmom! Also, we would consider getting a verandah. But, I am a little concerned about my child being able to climb over the railing. I know the chances of that are low, but it would just make me nervous having a balcony with a young child.

Edited by rc1973
To add info

Thanks so much for this information! It was really helpful to see the photos too, Essiesmom! Also, we would consider getting a verandah. But, I am a little concerned about my child being able to climb over the railing. I know the chances of that are low, but it would just make me nervous having a balcony with a young child.

The railings would be tough to climb, they are plastic panels. Plus I would assume you would not allow your child out there without supervision. I'd really recommend a balcony if you want to have a relaxing cruise.

We did a cruise on freedom of the seas with my 34 year old son he had a bed which pulled down from the ceiling it was pulled down on a night which still left the sofa to sit on and watch tv

We did a cruise on freedom of the seas with my 34 year old son he had a bed which pulled down from the ceiling it was pulled down on a night which still left the sofa to sit on and watch tv

This would be possible in a quad verandah cabin, but not in the M class OV cabin the OP asked about. EM

Before we could afford balcony cabins, we sailed many times in outside staterooms (and occasionally inside staterooms) with three to a room, from the time my son was around six and growing. Was it a little tight when the bed was open? Yes, but it was really not all that big a deal. If the kid needs a nap, why can't he/she just take it in the big bed? That's what we did. Balconies are great and two connecting rooms even nicer, but not everyone can afford to do that.

Would a young child be able to climb over a balcony? The answer is yes, with some creativity. I think you need to evaluate based on your individual child. We will all assume you are a good parent and keep an eye on your kid first of all. But kids move like lightening and can get in a lot of trouble if you turn your back for a minute. Some kids would never even consider such a move (thankfully mine was one of those). On the other hand, some kids would pull over the chair or small table and hurdle themselves overboard in a flash if you let them. You need to evaluate safety concerns based on knowing your kid.

My husband and I had our 13 year old sharing an OV using the sofa bed. We found it just too tight. Putting the sofa up and down was a pain but with it down there just wasn't enough room. Perhaps it would have been better with a ceiling bed. Back to balconies for us..

OP, an excellent question. And one that I had been wondering about regarding our upcoming cruise.

We are cruising with our 5 year old son and the OV cabin we have been allocated has a "Convertible Sofa Bed". My parents, who are travelling with us, have the cabin next door and theirs has the "Convertible Sofa Bed AND 2 Upper berth" configuration. (That's a lot of berths for such a small cabin!). I was thinking about contacting my TA and asking if we could swap cabins as I feel the Upper berth may be more suitable for us or whether it would be possible to swap cabins on the day - but then I thought there would probably be an issue with sea passes?

Then when I read this:

...a veranda cabin so the adults can have a comfortable, relaxing place to sit and talk after the child goes to sleep...

it sort of swayed me from my aversion (mostly due to my wife's paranoia) to a balcony.

But I then saw the (or a) layout for a verandah stateroom and noticed that the couch was just in front of the balcony doors.

CEL_CS_OVBalcony_460x256_zpsbiepcewj.jpg

Would this not hinder access to the balcony?

If your cabin is for three people, the third person will sleep in a foldout couch/chair, like this in 2011 on Summit:

BG-54.jpg

OP, an excellent question. And one that I had been wondering about regarding our upcoming cruise.

We are cruising with our 5 year old son and the OV cabin we have been allocated has a "Convertible Sofa Bed". My parents, who are travelling with us, have the cabin next door and theirs has the "Convertible Sofa Bed AND 2 Upper berth" configuration. (That's a lot of berths for such a small cabin!). I was thinking about contacting my TA and asking if we could swap cabins as I feel the Upper berth may be more suitable for us or whether it would be possible to swap cabins on the day - but then I thought there would probably be an issue with sea passes?

Then when I read this:

it sort of swayed me from my aversion (mostly due to my wife's paranoia) to a balcony.

But I then saw the (or a) layout for a verandah stateroom and noticed that the couch was just in front of the balcony doors.

CEL_CS_OVBalcony_460x256_zpsbiepcewj.jpg

Would this not hinder access to the balcony?

On S-class ships, the verandah cabins alternate - on one, bed near window, on the next the couch is, then the bed etc etc. Not sure about M-class, but someone else will be!

Note that some forward OV cabins (deck 6 and 7 for example) on M-class do have drop-down beds.

Stuart

On S-class ships, the verandah cabins alternate - on one, bed near window, on the next the couch is, then the bed etc etc. Not sure about M-class, but someone else will be!

Ah yes - I see on the S-Class deck plans the sofa-bed cabins alternate with those without.

Note that some forward OV cabins (deck 6 and 7 for example) on M-class do have drop-down beds.

Stuart

It's my understanding M class, bed is always by bathroom (however, insides, bed can be placed in varying positions) however when they added some ocean view cabins in the Conference areas recently, those cabins may not follow that rule - I'm not sure, as I think the cabins were built as S class cabins. I also think the rule may not apply to the new Aqua cabins added on the upper decks of the M class ships, for similar reasons.

It's my understanding M class, bed is always by bathroom (however, insides, bed can be placed in varying positions) however when they added some ocean view cabins in the Conference areas recently, those cabins may not follow that rule - I'm not sure, as I think the cabins were built as S class cabins. I also think the rule may not apply to the new Aqua cabins added on the upper decks of the M class ships, for similar reasons.

The new cabins which were added to the M class ships are all M class cabins. I have actually stayed in or visited friends staying in these cabins.

For S class cabins, you need to go on an S class ship.

The new cabins which were added to the M class ships are all M class cabins. I have actually stayed in or visited friends staying in these cabins.

For S class cabins, you need to go on an S class ship.

So to clarify and confirm, the new cabins on M class all have bed by door? I swore I'd read in some reviews past that people had commented bed was sometimes by window. I thought I had even read one about one of the new Aqua cabins where the bed headboard was on the bathroom wall, foot of bed looking out the veranda doors, which seems a unique cabin layout.