Hurricane Season

We just got back from a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise and I think I have PCD (Post Cruise Depression). Don't think I can wait a year until our next cruise.

Looking at booking a short (4 day) cruise to the Bahamas, Coco Cay and Key West for either the end of September or beginning of October. I know this is high hurricane season.

What are the chances of a hurricane? If we have insurance, would we be able to get a refund?

I can't convince DH to book a cruise this time of year. We have limited vacation time and would hate to have it spoiled.

Thoughts on booking during Hurricane season? Have you done it? How do I convince DH?

Thanks.

:confused:

No one can give you odds...not even meteorologists! If a hurricane were to form, they would re-route you....it's VERY rare they would cancel a cruise unless the storm were to hit your home port!

Look back at the last couple of years....how many actual hurricanes were there? Not that many.

We have sailed during the hurricane season & never had a problem. The ships will avoid any storms & if by chance there were one, you may end up visiting different ports. We did come home on the tail end of Hurricane Sandy but even that was not bad. There can be storms at any time so if I were you I'd just go for it! I would check with your insurance to see what the CA policies are. If the ship CA then you would get a full refund & possible other compensation. Hope this helps. :)

We are sailing the end of August & I don't even worry about it any more.

We have sailed in every Hurricane month except November, and have only had one August cruise re-routed (Eastern Caribbean became a Western), one October cruise where we were bussed from PC to PE to board because PC was being hammered (cruise itself was calm as glass), and one July cruise where we overnighted in Nassau instead of doing Coco Cay because a storm was predicted to hit there (never happened).

We just got back from a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise and I think I have PCD (Post Cruise Depression). Don't think I can wait a year until our next cruise.

Looking at booking a short (4 day) cruise to the Bahamas, Coco Cay and Key West for either the end of September or beginning of October. I know this is high hurricane season.

What are the chances of a hurricane? If we have insurance, would we be able to get a refund?

I can't convince DH to book a cruise this time of year. We have limited vacation time and would hate to have it spoiled.

Thoughts on booking during Hurricane season? Have you done it? How do I convince DH?

Thanks.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

I can't convince DH to book a cruise this time of year. We have limited vacation time and would hate to have it spoiled...

So what would actually "spoil" it? That your itinerary was changed? That you had another sea day instead of a port, perhaps? Not being mean, sincerely asking. As you can see from my signature, we have sailed extensively in summer months, and sailed around 3 hurricanes. We were fine, and still had an excellent time.

Weather can happen at any time of year; if it's not hurricane season, it might be the middle of winter and snow can affect flights, etc. You can't plan your cruises around what might happen. Please book your cruise and enjoy every moment leading up to it and planning for it. Life is short and precious. :)

Thanks.

We sailed two weeks ago with u guys on the Vision! As far as hurricane season goes it's the luck of the draw. We sail during hurricane season all the time and never had any major problems. Maybe a little more motion of the ocean or some beach breaks and snorkeling trips are a little more rough than usual. We have had ports cancelled all times of the year! Just look at Costa Maya two weeks ago! One time years ago we sailed during a hurricane and the Captain just changed up the itinerary and we ended up having great weather! I would say go for it! Any day at sea is always better than a day on land [emoji1]

My advice is to treat it like the winter storms... fly to port at least a day early. Our one and only October cruise was impacted by Hurricane Wilma...not because of the cruise itself, but because of cancelled flights. Hats off to Delta who re-routed us and got us to FLL on time. Fortunately, we had a hotel booked well in advance, because many people were turned away while we stood in line to check in. The hotel had to run on a generator, but it was all part of the adventure. :D

Edited by APDMOM

Sailed right past Hurricane Sandy a few years ago as she headed into NYC. We were one of the last ships out as they closed the port right behind us. The ship and captain were actually mentioned by name on the news, saying he was crazy to be going out.

Well, we had one rough night. For the most part, it was no worse than when we sailed along the coast and met up with a regular snowstorm in January. (There was one wave at 2AM that was a bit scary, though. But I doubt most folks noticed that one. And it was the very last of the bad waves. After that we just had regular chop.)

We missed the private island, which had gotten a direct hit. We went to Universal from Port Canaveral. It was cool out but you'd never know there'd been a hurricane. We still made it to the Bahamas too, and swam with dolphins. They'd been hit too but damage wasn't bad.

Edited by Snowrose

We took a 7 night cruise mid-October last fall. It was a last minute plan (booked 48 hours before sailing!) to surprise my mom, who was already booked on the cruise. I am very prone to motion sickness and would never usually book during hurricane season. The weather was beautiful when we left and I hadn't heard any reports of storms brewing. The first day at sea and first port in Bahamas was perfect, beautiful weather. When we got back on the ship after the first port day the captain announced we would be changing the itinerary due to a tropical depression headed towards our next port. Our entire itinerary changed from eastern Caribbean to western. We actually had to back track but we never saw a minute of bad seas or bad weather! And we went to just as many ports, just different ones. I wasn't disappointed at all that we were not on the itinerary we had originally signed up for - I was grateful that the captains have the experience and authority to make these types of decisions when necessary. It was actually one of the best cruises (weather/seas) we have been on yet! The only minor inconvenience we had was that the new ports were a little more crowded and tenders took a lot longer because there were several more ships in port than planned due to everyone being diverted.