Serenade of the Seas - SHIP OF ‘NO’

First, I would like to say this is my first review on any travel site ever on any subject.

We are a family of 4 (kids - 12 and 7).

This was our second time cruising.

Our first cruise was last year aboard the Norwegian Star. We travelled with 2 other families both with 2 kids each for a total of 12 people. It was the first cruise for all 3 families. We had SUCH A GREAT TIME and were so pleasantly surprised and impressed with the Norwegian Star that we ALL really wanted to cruise again.

This year, we decided to go with Royal Caribbean as we had all heard from EVERY single person we talked to that RC was much better in all aspects (food, service, activities, entertainment, etc…).

We travelled with the same families again, except this year, after hearing our enthusiasm we convinced 3 more families to come along for a total of 24 people. (One family had never cruised before). Kids ranged from ages 7-16. Adults were ages 38-50.

The cruise was from New Orleans with stops in Key West, Nassau, and RC’s private island CocoCay (Sounds more impressive then it was).

I will be comparing the RC Serenade of the Seas to the NCL Star throughout this review as it is all I have to compare it too.

THE SHIP

Embarkation was fairly quick and painless. Uneventful and uninviting. Security…Famiily photo… on the ship. Now what?

Compared to NCL Star, on the Star they were playing music and it was like a party atmosphere and was much more inviting and we felt so much welcome to be there.

The RC Serenade was newer and more modern having been renovated just 2 years ago. Although, when we first embarked on the ship, we couldn’t help but smell poop up and down the hallway to our cabin. It was only on the first day, but not a good start.

The ship was well setup and designed.

POOLS

The main pool was smaller than the Star and did not have a slide, but the adult pool was larger and better decorated. The kid’s pool was pretty much useless as none of our kids ever used it. It was too shallow and only had ONE slide that was meant for really really small kids 5 and under (WAY TOO SLOW).

Pool deck - Had two guys playing some Caribbean style music sometimes and some recorded music. Kind of just background music.

NCL Star had 2 slides at main pool and one on the smaller kid pool. All 3 slides were good for our kids and on some days, the kids never left the pool.

NCL Star had and a 4 piece band also playing same type of music but the band was much more enthusiastic and played more often and involved passengers more frequently to make it more ‘fun’.

FOOD

Food quality was pretty much the same on both ships. Maybe slightly better quality on RC Serenade but more selection on NCL Star.

Only one dining room and one buffet. NCL Star had 2 main dining rooms and one buffet.

BUFFET - Windjammer

Equal in quality, but I believe NCL Star had a bit more variety and more international items on a daily basis. The RC Serenade had the exact same items for breakfast EVERY day and NO Eggs Benedict or Crepes unless you went down to the Main dining room and order from the menu.

NCL Star had both Eggs Benedict and Crepes at the buffet, without having to go to the main dining room.

Seating during peak hours was a bit difficult on both ships.

MAIN DINING ROOM - Reflections

Service was just OK the first night, we had the 5:30 seating and we all felt very very rushed to get us out for the next seating by all the staff. We genuinely felt like cattle.

Maybe we were spoiled but, aboard the NCL Star, some of us were used to ordering 2 or sometimes 3 appetizers and 2 main courses and probably 2 desserts each adult. One adult loved the desserts, she would save room and not order as much of the main courses and get 5 desserts. We were actively encouraged by the NCL staff to order more items and try new things every night. We could even custom order items not on the menu. If they could do it, they would. For example, one night there was some type of Curried Prawns and rice dish on the menu and it consisted of a bed of rice and veggies with 3 or 4 prawns on top. A couple of the adults really enjoyed the dish abut just wanted to order a plate of extra prawns. The waiter said, absolutely and brought a big plate of full of prawns, and he brought it with a smile.

On the RC Serenade, when we asked for extra items from the menu, the waiters didn’t seem too thrilled about serving us more. When we asked for extra mussels from mussels item on the menu, the waiter promptly told me “No, we can’t do that, the mussels are a just a garnish”. After a moment or two, he said he’ll check with the kitchen and might be able to bring me a few extra and later brought me a small plate of mussels.

This was from the very first night of our cruise aboard the RC Serenade and I felt right from that point, this is not going to be a good experience on this ship.

Later that night we complained to the maître d' while he was trying to get us out of the dining room for the next seating, but he seemed uninterested.

The next day we talked to the Head Maître d' (Pedro). We explained the situation and how the 2 cruises differed in service and he vowed to make it better. That night, and for the remainder of the cruise, we were booked into the private dining room (The Mirage Room) just for our party of 24. We were given the best senior waiter staff on the ship (Cleeven, Cloudeu, Rodney and Ramon), and they did not disappoint. Their service was awesome, and definitely on par (if not even better) than the service we received aboard the NCL Star.

LATE NIGHT DINING – Solarium Park Café

RC Serenade - Almost Non-existent. After 11 pm, good luck!!

There was one place open (Park Café) and barely had any selection to choose from (pizza, hotdogs heated under lamps and a few desserts) LAME, LAME LAME. We are all fans of late night dining, but this ship had almost nothing after the dining rooms closed, and they all seemed to close early.

The Castle pub was open until 1AM and had fun Karaoke and a live musician playing and taking requests (He was really good Aussie guy) but did not have any food at all. Just overpriced booze. What kind of pub doesn’t have any munchies to eat, not even some chips. LAME LAME LAME!

NCL Star had several places open late night, even the buffet was open later and had lots of selection. Even a late night CHOCOLATE buffet (very popular with our dessert loving friend).

Your kids could go get hot wings, chips and salsa at 1 AM if they wanted, no problem.

NO CHOCOLATE BUFFET AT ALL ON RC SERENADE.

They kept pushing to come get fresh grilled burgers on deck. But, they didn’t have a grill anywhere on the boat. There is a huge difference between a fresh grilled burger from a BBQ and a burger cooked on a griddle and kept under a heat lamp or in a stainless steel dish with a burner underneath for hours.

NCL Star had a huge PROPER GRILL on the pool deck on all cruising days. Grilling fresh burgers, chicken, hot dogs, with a much better selection of toppings and condiments. Not just the standard ketchup, mustard, mayo, tomatoes and lettuce. NCL Star also had Fajitas and Taco during the lunch BBQ.

We did not try any of the specialty dining options on either ship.

When talking with other passengers aboard the Serenade, we found they were all having the same less then great experience.

There was 3 separate occasions when we were in the buffet dining room and we overheard people complaining to the staff about the food and the service. When further discussing it with those passengers, they were experienced cruisers and have always felt RC was on the top of the list for cruise lines. And this cruise was a major disappointment. Rating it dead last.

SERVICE

Excellent dinner service every night (except the first).

I couldn’t help but feel that a lot of the staff seemed overworked, not that eager to please and genuinely not that happy to be working on the ship. I didn’t see a lot of smiles on their faces.

Another example, one of our passengers forgot to bring conditioner with her on the trip, she went to guest services to ask for some and she was even willing to pay for it. They told her only the Suites and the Balcony units could have conditioner. REALLY?! Even the scummiest of 1 star hotels provide conditioner to their guests. She flipped out and they eventually gave it to her.

This kind of behavior generally comes from above (supervisors and management). I heard from several of the crew that they were tired and overworked and always in a state of insecurity (unsure if their contract will be renewed for the next 3 months).

Some of the crew were very forthcoming, and told us this particular cruise did not live up to RC regular standards and other passengers were also complaining.

I did notice on the last 2 days of the cruise, we were asked many times by various crew members in dining room, if we had a good trip and if they could improve in some way. They kept offering to get things for us and trying to ramp up their service (probably trying to get some points and a good review by the passengers).

On the other hand, Most of the NCL Star staff seemed thrilled to be there and eager to please at all times.

CABIN

We had regular inside lower level cabin. Slightly larger than the cabin on the NCL Star. It was adequate and what we expected.

The Cabin Steward was pretty good, kept the room clean and left the occasional animal made out of a towel.

NCL Star steward made a different animal every night. The kids couldn’t wait to get to the room to see what animal was left there.

ENTERTAINMENT

Some nights, only one show at 6:30. Other nights, 2nd show at 10pm.

Comedian – Two African American comedians (can’t remember their names) were hilarious. They had two shows.

Magician/Comedian John Ferrentino was beyond brutal. Not funny and less magical. There was times I thought the room was empty. He should be performing at a senior care facility.

Another comedian on the last night was pretty funny. Used a funny slide show.

Broadway type shows were just OK.

3 Las Vegas Tenors were really good.

Disco – was pretty quiet most nights, music was good.

All our kids were not too interested in the kids club on the ship. They tried it out the first day or two but not impressed.

They ended up playing hide and seek late at night until security told them to stop running around. Some of the older people were complaining.

They did have a 70’s dance party in the center of the ship on the second last night of the cruise, which was a blast. But Party was over at 11pm. Everybody to bed. BOOOO!

NCL STAR had really good acrobatic artists (Cirque type show) from France that were awesome.

Broadway type shows were very entertaining and dancers were awesome.

Really good Italian Magician/Comedian with a huge Albino snake.

Overall, NCL Star had better entertainment and more shows (early and late shows).

PORT STOPS

Key West – Nice town

Nassau, Bahamas – Nice Beach

Coco Cay (Private Island) – Nice beach, Blue water. When they say ‘Private Island’, they make it sound like it’s some super-secret exclusive place ‘EWWWWW WHOAAAA’. But, you’re herded over there in little boats along with 2000 other people. Oh yeah, and there’s another RC boat docked beside you unloading their 2000 passengers (Not so private island now, is it?). They have big BBQ there on the island with Burgers, Dogs and chicken and ribs and all the fixins’. But wait, still no BBQ grill. Yes, once again, the burgers are cooked on a griddle and kept warm under lights.

It’s their private island but you still have to pay $35 to go down their slide and play on the water park. ??

No point in comparing port stops to NCL Star as we cruised the Mexican Riviera the last time.

Special shoutout to excellent friendly staff on RC Serenade of the Seas:

Cleeven, Cloudeu, Rodney, Ramon, Pedro, Michelle Gallagher, Marco Aerelio

Ship of ‘NO’

NO, we cannot bring you a plate of mussels.

NO, you cannot enter this buffet line up, it is closed, go to another lineup. (Even though it was not roped off yet).

NO, we cannot toast your bread at midnight, the toaster is not working (It was only turned off).

NO, your child cannot go up the rock climbing wall. Free climb is over at 5pm and it is 5:05 pm (It was still open for adult speed climbing).

NO, we do not serve any food in the pub.

NO, we do not have Eggs Benedict here, you have to go to main dining room (After I was told they did by another crew member, and waited in line for 5 minutes)

Thanks for the review.

Not every ship is for everyone. Serenade is not a ship I would have sailed on with that many kids. The newer, larger ships have many more activities and food choices. As far as slides, Royal Caribbean isn't known for ships with slides. Yes, the Radiance class ships have that small slide, but it is for kids younger than the group you brought. Good news is that there is a new ship coming soon that has huge slides, too late for you but maybe another time.

As far as food, very subjective so not going to go there.

i would suggest you do a little more research next time you book a cruise so you won't be disappointed. Check out deck plans to see what is available and look at pictures online.

Good luck with whatever cruise you decide to book in the future.

Quick responses:

1. Have never been on a ship with any cruise line that they would not bring you all the food you want in the main dining room.

2. RCI offers lousy selection of food after 9pm

3. Have heard and seen a definite decline in customer service from the Customer Relations desk

4. Cutbacks seem to be more prevalent on RCI.

5. Have sailed RCI, Celebrity, Princess, HAL, and Carnival .. and would sail any of them again in a heartbeat.

Ship of ‘NO’

NO, we cannot bring you a plate of mussels.

NO, you cannot enter this buffet line up, it is closed, go to another lineup. (Even though it was not roped off yet).

NO, we cannot toast your bread at midnight, the toaster is not working (It was only turned off).

NO, your child cannot go up the rock climbing wall. Free climb is over at 5pm and it is 5:05 pm (It was still open for adult speed climbing).

NO, we do not serve any food in the pub.

NO, we do not have Eggs Benedict here, you have to go to main dining room (After I was told they did by another crew member, and waited in line for 5 minutes)

Seems like a pretty fair review/comparison, but I was confused why you called it the "Ship of NO" until I got to your list at the very end. But these, to me, all seem trivial. You actually DID get the plate of mussels. Yes, sometimes they close down a buffet line. Is it really a big deal that they had someone direct you to the other line, before they had it roped off? Is it wrong that they have time on the rock climbing wall that are just for adults? Where did you expect to be served eggs benedict other than the main dining room?

I was a little nervous opening your review, because I'll be on the Serenade soon, but feel better, now.

Sorry you didn't enjoy Serenade. Not much else to say except that as someone else mentioned, no one line is right for everyone. I almost feel like refuting or elaborating on any of your comments might be a moot point; you seem kind of angry/upset - at least that's how your post (your first post, too) reads.

I hope you are able to cruise again on another ship/line which meets your needs. Cruising is a wonderful vacation.

Thanks for the review.

Not every ship is for everyone. Serenade is not a ship I would have sailed on with that many kids. The newer, larger ships have many more activities and food choices. As far as slides, Royal Caribbean isn't known for ships with slides. Yes, the Radiance class ships have that small slide, but it is for kids younger than the group you brought. Good news is that there is a new ship coming soon that has huge slides, too late for you but maybe another time.

As far as food, very subjective so not going to go there.

i would suggest you do a little more research next time you book a cruise so you won't be disappointed. Check out deck plans to see what is available and look at pictures online.

Good luck with whatever cruise you decide to book in the future.

I agree completely. This is definitely not the ship that I would have picked. And just because a ship is refurbished, does not make it new. It's almost the oldest ship in the fleet. Ultimately you have to sail with whatever line brings you the most satisfaction. AND all cruise lines while similar are NOT the same. If you should try this again.. perhaps look at navigator,explorer,mariner,freedom,liberty or independence. Without the experience of a royal promenade, in my opinion all other ship types pail in comparison.

I agree completely. This is definitely not the ship that I would have picked. And just because a ship is refurbished, does not make it new. It's almost the oldest ship in the fleet. Ultimately you have to sail with whatever line brings you the most satisfaction. AND all cruise lines while similar are NOT the same. If you should try this again.. perhaps look at navigator,explorer,mariner,freedom,liberty or independence. Without the experience of a royal promenade, in my opinion all other ship types pail in comparison.

That's quite an exaggeration to say it's almost the oldest in the fleet. It's newer than all of the Vision class ships and all but one of the Voyager class (Mariner came out later in the same year as Serenade). There are more older ships than newer, relative to the Serenade, in Royal Caribbean's fleet.

I sailed a year ago on Serenade and will be sailing on her again in two weeks. We LOVED this ship! We were on Voyager the year before and it was nice, but much prefer the Radiance class Serenade. Perhaps because it is more low-key and not as many kids on board. Clearly, you must not have researched the amenities and reviews enough to realize this is not a "kids paradise" cruise. Fortunately, we don't all like the same same things, otherwise, there would be no need for different classes of ships and different cruise lines. Our experience was totally opposite. Great service, great food....no problems getting as many of any item we wanted at dinner and Park Café was one of my favorite places for a mid-day snack or late night. The roast beef sandwiches and miniature Tutti Salad bar is fantastic. Plenty of food there for us...then again, I'm not much into chocolate fountains, etc. Did you really think "private island" meant your own private island? And those little "boats" are tenders....the only way to get on and off the island. I'm just glad that you were able to visit the island since sometimes it is cancelled due to weather/sea conditions...

To each his own. I will continue sailing RCL and am very sad to see Serenade leaving NOLA as it is one of our favorites.

Have fun on NCL............bu--bye.

It was built in 2003,and third in the Radiance class so I wouldn't call it the oldest. :eek:

There are actually 12 ships older!!! http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/our-ships.aspx/ship-planning-guide

Edited by cruisenfever

One adult loved the desserts, she would save room and not order as much of the main courses and get 5 desserts.

Oh dear, from the whole review, this is what stood out for me.

Eating five desserts per "night", just how big is this woman ?

Did she have additional desserts for Lunch ?, Danish for Breakfast ? Afternoon Tea ?

Goodness, what a statement to make about one of your friends. She ate five desserts a night, that's a minimum of 35 a week excluding other meals !!

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn is shocked at this

I am sorry your cruise was not what you wanted. It sounds like NCL is a better fit for you.

However, I am currently on the Serenade and doing the same itinerary as you did. We have had an excellent experience so far.

The entertainer last night was one of the best we have seen and there is late night comedy tonight.

We had a discussion at dinner last night about how we really enjoyed the food. We are a table of 4 couples that are not traveling together. [i from NJ, 1 from UK, 1 from Canada and we are from VA]

I agree the Windjammer is just so-so.

We are in Key West currently. We were due to arrive at 11 am. However the Captain got us here before 8:30 am. So, we have more port time. :D

^DragonOfTheSeas, glad you are enjoying Serenade. We did a B2B on her last year as well from New Orleans - that's the mighty Mississippi four times! Ooof!

Do they still have the "Thriller" dance class? It's fun to watch them practice, but the performance night is awesome. Don't miss it! :)

Seems like a pretty fair review/comparison, but I was confused why you called it the "Ship of NO" until I got to your list at the very end. But these, to me, all seem trivial. You actually DID get the plate of mussels. Yes, sometimes they close down a buffet line. Is it really a big deal that they had someone direct you to the other line, before they had it roped off? Is it wrong that they have time on the rock climbing wall that are just for adults? Where did you expect to be served eggs benedict other than the main dining room?

I was a little nervous opening your review, because I'll be on the Serenade soon, but feel better, now.

Yes, I did get the mussels, but it came with a bit of attitude instead of a smile. Yes, they directed me to another egg line, but again, they were a bit rude about it. "We're closed, go to the other line" and through a rope up in front of where I was standing. How about "I'm sorry Sir, This line is closing, would you mind going to the other line" They can have a schedule for the rock wall climbing, but there was only 1 adult waiting to climb. The activities guy just wanted to close up early as they always did if no one was around. ON NCL, they had Eggs Benedict at the eggs omelet line, so yes I did expect it. I can understand that they could only have it in the main dining room, but the other crew member told me they did have it and he was standing 5 feet from the guy cooking the eggs.

My 2 main complaints are poor customer service (not happy employees), Not much selection of food later at night.

Oh dear, from the whole review, this is what stood out for me.

Eating five desserts per "night", just how big is this woman ?

Did she have additional desserts for Lunch ?, Danish for Breakfast ? Afternoon Tea ?

Goodness, what a statement to make about one of your friends. She ate five desserts a night, that's a minimum of 35 a week excluding other meals !!

Ha Ha, actually, not that large at all. She runs 10 miles every day. It wasn't every night that she would order 5 desserts, maybe just one particular night when she couldn't decide. I'm sure she did not finish them all.

Edited by CruiserPICC
Added original quote

Isn't NCL's private island also a tender port ?

Lots of comparisons but you neglected to mention the race

of the comedians on your NCL cruise.

Yes tender port.

Glad you asked, the comedian/magician from the NCL cruise was from Italy and his wife/assistant was from Slovakia.

It's good that you are trying different cruise lines. I've only sailed RCL and we loved it from the start (back in 1994) and have kept coming back.

I would try the others (Carnival, Princess, Holland America, etc) then once you find one that you like, stick with it to work your way up the ladder for the freebies.

I'm Diamond Plus and will be Pinnacle in November. That's why I've stuck with RCL all these years for the benefits of repeat cruising with the same line (as well as I have always had good service).

SCALE OF 1-5: **WENT IN A GROUP OF 12**

FOOD 3 (AVG)

FOOD CHOICES 2

SERVICE 4 (Some attitudes) 1st Night disaster

FOOD & ACTIVITIES AFTER 9pm 1 (POOL/HOT TUB CLOSED @ 9)

ITINERY 3 (I have been to Nassau 5 times; Key West stop is for 5 hours only; Sunset Party is where it's at it Key West)

Key West: Short; Coco Cay: Cancelled; Nassau is Nassau. They have to stop there, as it is their port of registry.

ENTERTAINMENT 3

OVERALL: 2

GO ON THIS SHIP AGAIN: HELL, NO!

Older subdued crowd, which is fine with me. Coldest week in February 2015. Wore pants and sweaters, not shorts and tank tops. Very little sun. The best part of the cruise, was not being in the New England or East Coast snow storms and being with friends. Beverage Pkg. helped also!

My Credit Card was hacked by onboard services. I personally know this also happened on this same ship to my brother-in-law on a Mediterranean Cruise August 2014.

We won't give up on RCI, just not this ship and using a CC for onboard sign/sail card. CASH IS KING FROM NOW ON. I RUN OUT, I RUN OUT! NO ATM's ARE SAFE EITHER!

Informed RC; Nothing done or will be done. There is a security issue on this ship! Don't know where to take this issue further, as RCI doesn't care.

"Herded over there in little boats with 2000 other people?" I'm curious what you thought private island meant? Did you really think it was just for you? :confused:

No, I did not believe it was a private island just for me. They just sell it as some super exclusive place as they repeat it on the ship so many times. "On Thursday we are going to our PRIVATE ISLAND" "Tomorrow, we are arriving to our own PRIVATE ISLAND" billing it as something extra special.

It's just island in the Caribbean like the rest of them, but this one doesn't have any stores. And you're there with 4000 people. There are definitely no private spots on any beach there.

OP, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Serenade. We have sailed her 3 times since October and she's one of our favorite ships. We didn't find the downcast attitude you did among the crew, and the crew is a highlight of the RCI experience in my opinion.

We also don't eat late at night, but I agree that the offerings are slim. It would be nice if Park Cafe followed the Promenade Cafe 24 hour schedule, especially since non-suites are charged for room service late at night.

Guest Services takes a lot of abuse from passengers, and I'm sorry to say that pitching a fit over conditioner fits into that box for me. She couldn't wait a day and buy it in the onboard shops or wait two days and get it in Key West?

RCI used to have a fabulous midnight buffet and a chocolate buffet, but the food waste was incredible - people would pile their plates high as if they feared a famine the next day and then leave half of it uneaten - so they did away with it. Sometimes we passengers are our own worst enemies.

Paul,

I was not bashing your choice of ship. There are people that love the radience or the enchantment, and as I said you have to go with what type of ship works for you. but... I stand by what I said. Perhaps I should have used the words "it's almost the oldest "style" of ship.. since it has no promenade) If you are travelling with kids. The newer ships (yes newer ships with a promenade) are way more geared to kids and have more activities. I did not bash you for calling the OP trivial. So please I am allowed to express my opinion without you bashing me.

Everyone likes something different and a different type of ship. The point of Cruise critic is for people to share their opinions and their experiences. The older/ smaller royal ships have a very loyal following , typically of older passengers (Im sure this will start a fight with those of you that enjoy being angry) LOL .. If I was travelling with my 92 year old father I would not even dream of the newer larger ships, it's simply too much for him to navigate or get around.. but if I was with my nieces and nephews you can be I would want a ship that was geared towards them with the most to offer.. The end...

Edited by TheTruthCanHurt

I agree. I have two cruises on the Serenade this year and am still very much looking forward to them based on this review. Nothing the OP reported would be a deal breaker for me.

Obviously every ship in every fleet isn't going to appeal to everyone. I probably won't be sailing on the Allure again any time soon. However, I've enjoyed previous cruises on the "smaller" ships in the RCI fleet and am going back on the Serenade with an open mind.