HAL - Summer in the Caribbean

sail7seas

3rd the quantity of HAL ships is shrinking. 2 leave this year and are replaced by 1 next year.

While passenger capacity stays the same, less SHIPS means less likelihood of further itinerary diversification, expansion into new regions not previously gone to, etc.

**when I replied I hadn't yet read the whole thread. Looks like we're on the same wavelength RuthC :)

While I agree the shrinking of HAL's fleet is a factor, when HAL used to sail the Caribbean, they had far fewer ships. The company and fleet have grown but I suspect world events will influence itineraries far more than size of the fleet. Time will tell.

We would love to cruise HAL during the summer especially out of Port Canaveral.

HAL needs to tap into all the cruisers in the middle and northern part of Florida. Ft. Lauderdale is along way down the state if you live in the northern area and usually means a pre-cruise hotel.

Listen to your passengers HAL, Port Canaveral is undergoing a huge expansion and you are "missing out on the boat" and the money.

We sailed out of Port Canaveral once and it was fine but for the distance from the airport and the fewer air choices for those of us who have to fly. Transportation for guests arriving by air is a nuisance to Port Canaveral and depending upon choices can be costly. Air to FLL has way more choices, number of air seats and great proximity to port.

A comment about the heat and humidity of summer Caribbean cruises....... That is what air conditioning, beaches, swimming pools are for. :)

Edited by sail7seas

We're told "Never say 'never'", but this is one time I can feel confident: I would never do a Caribbean cruise in the summer---not on HAL; not on any other line.

It's too darned hot.

We're with you. It would take something exceptional for us to even consider a summertime Caribbean cruise. Actually booking one? :eek: :eek: :eek: If we're going to stay inside because of the heat and humidity I can think of places we'd MUCH rather be.

If HAL is looking for new places to cruise in the summer months, they should take a good look at northern Atlantic itineraries. There's lots of itineraries that could include New Brunswick, Newfoundland, St. Pierre & Miquelon, and even Greenland for variety of ports and duration.

They could sail from, and return to US ports that are easily reachable for most Americans and Canadians.

This! I've wished for years that HAL would offer an itinerary like this. Sort of like a half Voyage of the Vikings - but turn around after Greenland.

If HAL is looking for new places to cruise in the summer months, they should take a good look at northern Atlantic itineraries. There's lots of itineraries that could include New Brunswick, Newfoundland, St. Pierre & Miquelon, and even Greenland for variety of ports and duration.

They could sail from, and return to US ports that are easily reachable for most Americans and Canadians.

This, if it was 2 weeks or longer and round trip from a U.S. port, would tempt me to sail in the summer. What a refreshing set of ports!

Caribbean in the Summer: Other cruise lines do it or it would not be profitable. Recently, Princess has started 4-5-7 day Summer sailings; Celebrity has as well, I think. I don't care for heat and humidity anymore either. But, as was stated, one can retreat to the pool and/or AC in a comfortable Lounge aboard the ship.

A Port Canaveral port of embarkation would add some variety to HAL's itineraries. Sail's comments about air transportation issues certainly are valid, however. I am not sure how they could solve that potential problem.

Ruth's suggestion of more imagnative Northern itineraries including the Canadian Maritimes and Greenland, maybe even Iceland, ought to be explored by Seattle. I found the scenery and the one village that we visited on the Eurodam's Trans-Atlantic in 2013 to be two of the highlights of that cruise. (For me: Iceland, not so much. I was too wind blown and cold to appreciate what I was seeing. Although, our lunch was good.)

A comment about the heat and humidity of summer Caribbean cruises....... That is what air conditioning, beaches, swimming pools are for. :)

Except that:

(1) many of the sites to visit on the islands are not air conditioned;

(2) the A/C on the ships are not always the most effective in the first place, combined with the fact that many people keep their balcony doors open, which lessens the effectiveness of the A/C in other areas of the ship; and

(3) the majority of pools, and no beaches I know, are not air conditioned and several people in my traveling party don't swim.

The heat and humidity is a serious factor in my avoidance of Caribbean cruises in anything but the dead of winter, and even then my enjoyment of the islands is limited by the conditions. I know it's a factor in other people's decisions as well.

One of my first Canada/New England cruises went to St. John's and St. Pierre et Miquelon. It still ranks as the best cruise I've ever had.

Another one made a call at Cornerbrook. I loved the stops in Newfoundland and wish HAL offered more Canada/New England itineraries that did those stops. I have no desire to do a trans-Atlantic just to be able to call at those ports.

I enjoyed my cruises that called at Sept-Iles, Gaspe, and Baie-Comeau. I would really like more itineraries that feature different ports like those.

Except that:

(1) many of the sites to visit on the islands are not air conditioned;

(2) the A/C on the ships are not always the most effective in the first place, combined with the fact that many people keep their balcony doors open, which lessens the effectiveness of the A/C in other areas of the ship; and

(3) the majority of pools, and no beaches I know, are not air conditioned and several people in my traveling party don't swim.

The heat and humidity is a serious factor in my avoidance of Caribbean cruises in anything but the dead of winter, and even then my enjoyment of the islands is limited by the conditions. I know it's a factor in other people's decisions as well.

I speak only from my personal experience of many summer Caribbean cruises on HAL ships and we loved those cruises probably more than some of the winter Caribbean cruises despite the escape from the cold and snow of winter in New England.

I present this thread and suggestion of summer Caribbean cruises as a choice. Anyone who doesn't like the idea,,,,, fine. Move along. Don't book it if it become available but judging from some posts in this tiny sampling, I am not the only one who would like HAL to offer this as one more choice.

I don't want to sail certain places but I don't suggest no one should want to. :eek:

We're told "Never say 'never'", but this is one time I can feel confident: I would never do a Caribbean cruise in the summer---not on HAL; not on any other line.

It's too darned hot...

Fully agree and I love your suggestions for cooling summer cruises.

One of my first Canada/New England cruises went to St. John's and St. Pierre et Miquelon. It still ranks as the best cruise I've ever had.

Another one made a call at Cornerbrook. I loved the stops in Newfoundland and wish HAL offered more Canada/New England itineraries that did those stops. I have no desire to do a trans-Atlantic just to be able to call at those ports.

I enjoyed my cruises that called at Sept-Iles, Gaspe, and Baie-Comeau. I would really like more itineraries that feature different ports like those.

Would love to hear what you loved and what you did in Baie-Comeau. It didn't seem like there was much to do there and heard that from many pax. Would love to have a plan if I go there again. Thx.

I speak only from my personal experience of many summer Caribbean cruises on HAL ships and we loved those cruises probably more than some of the winter Caribbean cruises despite the escape from the cold and snow of winter in New England.

I present this thread and suggestion of summer Caribbean cruises as a choice. Anyone who doesn't like the idea,,,,, fine. Move along. Don't book it if it become available but judging from some posts in this tiny sampling, I am not the only one who would like HAL to offer this as one more choice.

I don't want to sail certain places but I don't suggest no one should want to. :eek:

Yes, exactly.

Would love to hear what you loved and what you did in Baie-Comeau. It didn't seem like there was much to do there and heard that from many pax. Would love to have a plan if I go there again. Thx.

When I have time, I will dig into my archives because I also have visited Baie-Comeau on the Maasdam, a repositioning cruise to Fort Lauderdale. That was a very good cruise and all of the small Canadian ports that we visited were well worth the time and effort.

When I have time, I will dig into my archives because I also have visited Baie-Comeau on the Maasdam, a repositioning cruise to Fort Lauderdale. That was a very good cruise and all of the small Canadian ports that we visited were well worth the time and effort.

Appreciate any help. I did enjoy all my ports, especially Saguenay but Baie-Comeau was the exception.

Appreciate any help. I did enjoy all my ports, especially Saguenay but Baie-Comeau was the exception.

I will look. Give me some time and I will come back to this thread. If for some reason I can't find it, I will start another one addressed to you.

I will look. Give me some time and I will come back to this thread. If for some reason I can't find it, I will start another one addressed to you.

Please don't put too much effort into it. I'm leaving in a couple of days so I don't want to miss it. If I ever end up in that port again I can address it at that time. I appreciate your effort just the same :).

The very best donut I have ever eaten was in a small bakery in St. Pierre. We did some sight seeing and went back to get more donuts and some French bread, only to discover that the bakery was sold out. That's when we discovered that if you don't buy it before noon, you ain't going to get it. :)

It's too darned hot.

The number of available ships to deploy will be reduced when the two S-class ships leave the fleet (taking into account the arrival of the Koningsdam). When the second Pinnacle class ship arrives there's a good chance the number of ships in the fleet will be reduced again. There won't be any extra ships to deploy to the Caribbean.

THIS! :D:D

And since HAL already has a presence in Boston, these new Greenland itineraries can sail from here!! I always wondered why there aren't more cruises to Greenland; it would be a great place to visit from the northeast US. On longer trips they can add in Iceland as well; I have been there twice on land-based trips and would not hesitate to go back. It's a beautiful place!

I wouldn't have any interest in the Caribbean in summer.

As to why HAL doesn't leave a ship in the Caribbean, I suspect it's related to two factors. First, I think cruising has changed/evolved following the tastes of their customers. In recent years, more and more travelers who liked cruising discovered that cruising could be more than just a "beach and islands" sort of vacation, and cruise lines started offering more and more "new" itineraries for which they could both 1) charge a premium and 2) sell shore excursions. I sometimes can't believe the enormous increase in ships in the Mediterranean over the past decade....

Second, the Caribbean in summer is a market that seems to be fueled by cruisers looking for either lowest-cost deals, family-friendly cruises with activities for kids, or those looking for a cruise on a pleasure palace (aka new, all bells and whistles) ships. I suspect HAL either cannot or doesn't want to compete in those particular markets.

Does anybody know if the ships sailed full when HAL kept them in Florida for the summer? The hurricanes is a ridiculous excuse. They have big Carnival ships that stay here ie Breeze, Freedom, Sunshine

My Breeze cruise this summer wasn't cheap. Yet HAL sails all the way to Alaska then sells the cruises for $249 ( no not all of them)

Seems they could get $249 in Florida and save the fuel all the way to Alaska and back.

I've only cruised with Princess. I am back in school and can only cruise during summer breaks. We would like to go to the Caribbean since we haven't been there yet. Princess doesn't go there in summer, so my choices are basically Carnival, Norwegian, or Royal Caribbean. (I have no desire to go to Alaska or Europe.) I would love another choice of cruise line to go with. (:D Cue HAL)

So, at this point it has to be Carnival, because the price is right, hands down! I REALLY wish Princess would go there since I have some FCC's, but I guess they will have to wait on me!

I wouldn't have any interest in the Caribbean in summer.

As to why HAL doesn't leave a ship in the Caribbean, I suspect it's related to two factors. First, I think cruising has changed/evolved following the tastes of their customers. In recent years, more and more travelers who liked cruising discovered that cruising could be more than just a "beach and islands" sort of vacation, and cruise lines started offering more and more "new" itineraries for which they could both 1) charge a premium and 2) sell shore excursions. I sometimes can't believe the enormous increase in ships in the Mediterranean over the past decade....

Second, the Caribbean in summer is a market that seems to be fueled by cruisers looking for either lowest-cost deals, family-friendly cruises with activities for kids, or those looking for a cruise on a pleasure palace (aka new, all bells and whistles) ships. I suspect HAL either cannot or doesn't want to compete in those particular markets.

While some might not like the caribbean, others may have zero desire to go overseas to spend days and days looking at museams and churches. Give me a caribbean cruise any day. I have no desire to spend all my days inside. I do that enough already.

Does anybody know if the ships sailed full when HAL kept them in Florida for the summer? The hurricanes is a ridiculous excuse. They have big Carnival ships that stay here ie Breeze, Freedom, Sunshine.

I don't really think hurricanes are a ridiculous excuse. If a port is in the part of a hurricane, the whip will have to alter course, and either drop the port or substitute something else. This will annoy as many passengers as it please. I lived in New Orleans and heard all kinds of annoyed passengers because of hurricane itinerary changes. It's not a small number of annoyances.

Also, hurricanes rarely affect just one Caribbean island. The itinerary change could result in what was booked as an Western Caribbean cruise turning into an Eastern one. This not a small itinerary change.

I know other lines have huge ships in the Caribbean year round, but they may have determined the risk was worth it financially. And it's not a small risk. Did you see the photos from when the Rotterdam was stuck in the remnants of a hurricane in the North Atlantic?

I'm not sure where you're from, but dismissing hurricanes as a ridiculous excuse leads me to believe you have never personally experienced even a weak one.

Totally with you on this itinerary. I'd look to book it as soon as I could.

Debbie

I don't really think hurricanes are a ridiculous excuse. If a port is in the part of a hurricane, the whip will have to alter course, and either drop the port or substitute something else. This will annoy as many passengers as it please. I lived in New Orleans and heard all kinds of annoyed passengers because of hurricane itinerary changes. It's not a small number of annoyances.

Also, hurricanes rarely affect just one Caribbean island. The itinerary change could result in what was booked as an Western Caribbean cruise turning into an Eastern one. This not a small itinerary change.

I know other lines have huge ships in the Caribbean year round, but they may have determined the risk was worth it financially. And it's not a small risk. Did you see the photos from when the Rotterdam was stuck in the remnants of a hurricane in the North Atlantic?

I'm not sure where you're from, but dismissing hurricanes as a ridiculous excuse leads me to believe you have never personally experienced even a weak one.

Silly me. I thought anybody with half a brain who booked a summer Florida cruise, would know going into it there's always the possibility of a hurricane. Annoyances? If one has the choice to sail into a hurricane because they have a parasailing excursion booked or sail to a safer alternate port then they most likely will be annoyed at most anything.

Hurricane Frances & Jean came ashore 2 miles from my house, so I know nothing about hurricanes, losing power for days, boarding up etc.

But I'm willing to listen to your version.

While some might not like the caribbean, others may have zero desire to go overseas to spend days and days looking at museams and churches. Give me a caribbean cruise any day. I have no desire to spend all my days inside. I do that enough already.

I agree with you.

We did all the museums and churches that we wanted to see many years ago.

We also prefer to be outside.