Hubbard Glacier

shipsealand

Have done Tracey arms and Glacier Bay. Wonder about doing Hubbard Glacier. Had heard that it is very large but due to ice conditions may not be able to get close enough to see it? What are percentage chances of seeing it and time of year?

I've heard that about Sawyer in Tracy Arm but not about Hubbard. I certainly hope it isn't an issue. We are scheduled to go there on our southbound next June 30th. (The following day is Glacier Bay and one can count on that.)

A lot depends on the winter they had. Have been to Hubbard 4 times . Only got up close twice. The other two times 5 mi and 12 mi. Keep in mind cruise ships aren't designed to break ice.

Edited by Kamloops50

We were at Hubbard Glacier a couple years ago on HAL. It was a very unusually warm day in Sitka and we were told that warm days in Alaska can cause fog where the glaciers are and yep, Hubbard was fogged in during our visit. The fog was just beginning to clear as our time there was up. The captain had a schedule to keep so we were only able to see it from a foggy mist and from a good distance. Here is a description I just found -

The biggest glacier visited by cruise ships, the Hubbard is truly impressive. With a 6-mile wide, 400-foot tall face, the blue ice will seem to envelop your boat, especially if you can get up close. On good days, you’ll get to within 1/2 mile of the face. But ice can keep cruise ships at a distance of several miles, particularly in August and September when warmer temperatures and rainfall can cause more calving. The Hubbard is in Disenchantment Bay near the outer coast town of Yakutat, and offers large vistas on clear days, including Mt. St Elias at 18,008 feet. You won’t get the experience of traveling up a fjord to reach the Hubbard, nor will you have as much wildlife as other spots—although seals haul out on icebergs. But for a huge glacier and lots of icebergs, Hubbard is hard to beat.

I'd go back in a heartbeat.

In July 2013 the Coral Princess was unable to get within view of Hubbard. The captain made a big effort but there was more ice than I've ever seen & visibility was poor in freezing rain. It was a b2b and we got to College Fjord & Glacier Bay which were clear without any floating ice.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I have gone there 2x, the first time we did not get close at all and could barely see it (I think we were 9 miles away). This was in July. Second time, we made it.

I have friends who were fogged out of Hubbard Glacier last year and skipped it.

Edited by Coral

Once in first week of June 2014 and in August 2012 and were able to get fairly close both times. Even from a distance it is beautiful, with the bergie-bits crackling in the water making it sound like you are cruising in a bowl of rice crispies. Also love the south-bound cruise because you are getting a better view of the the mountains, vs the north-bound that sails farther from shore. You never know what the weather will bring so hope for the best and enjoy the experience which will be different from the other glaciers.

We were there in September 2006 for my 50th birthday cruise....our ship got very close to the glacier....it was amazing. Stayed there for a few hours and the ship turned 360 degrees so give all cabins a view, calving of ice was very active. I remember sitting on our balcony thinking it was raining, but actually it was bubbles rising through the beautifully colored water around us from the ice melting......amazing experience I'll never forget.:)

Can the smaller ships (Pacific Princess) get any closer? Sure hope so ;)

The distance is a function of how the calving ice comes from the water. Also the Park service has rules as to how close ships can get to the ship.

Certain times of the year ships have to stay further out because of the seals giving birth on the ice near the glacier.

Have done Tracey arms and Glacier Bay. Wonder about doing Hubbard Glacier. Had heard that it is very large but due to ice conditions may not be able to get close enough to see it? What are percentage chances of seeing it and time of year?

In 2013, we did a back to back that included Hubbard Glacier on both legs. The first leg, we weren't able to get in to see it due to ice conditions and fog. Two days later, the fog had cleared and the Captain found a path right up to the glacier. It's just hit or miss, really. This trip took place the first two weeks of July.

In 2012, there was minimal ice and sailed it very close to the glacier. This trip was at the end of May.

We've had more success at Hubbard Glacier than at Sawyer Glacier. Most of our trips are at the end of May and we were at least able to see Hubbard, but quite often were one or two turns from Sawyer.

Like everything else in life - there are NO guarantees.