Rhone Suggestions

Los_Pepes

Hi everyone. I wanted to solicit from feedback from the board on a Rhone cruise that I am planning for next year.

We have taken two Uniworld cruises and love every aspect of them. While planning the Rhone cruise I looked at the itinerary and it seems you spend much more time in the villages and towns as well as staying overnight.

We like to explore towns and find obscure bar and restaurants to soak in the local culture. To me this degrades some of the All Inclusive value of Uniworld. Is there a cruise line that offers the same level of luxury as Uniworld but may not be as all inclusive? The all inclusive nature encourages me to do most of my eating and drink onboard.

Feel free to chime in and endorse Uniworld based on any other factor. I am just exploring options

I would love to hear feedback from anyone.

Hi everyone. I wanted to solicit from feedback from the board on a Rhone cruise that I am planning for next year.

We have taken two Uniworld cruises and love every aspect of them. While planning the Rhone cruise I looked at the itinerary and it seems you spend much more time in the villages and towns as well as staying overnight.

We like to explore towns and find obscure bar and restaurants to soak in the local culture. To me this degrades some of the All Inclusive value of Uniworld. Is there a cruise line that offers the same level of luxury as Uniworld but may not be as all inclusive? The all inclusive nature encourages me to do most of my eating and drink onboard.

Feel free to chime in and endorse Uniworld based on any other factor. I am just exploring options

I would love to hear feedback from anyone.

Like you, we have done two with Uniworld (one in south France) and also two with Avalon. You can't go wrong with either. One difference is that now Uniworld is totally all inclusive if that is important to you.

Cole

We are traveling for the 1st time on Uniworld this summer. The inclusiveness of the line is not important to us as we end up with our own transfers most of the time; we prefer DIY excursions; we like to tip as we go; and our bar tab has always been reasonable on all of our cruises.

I personally do not consider Avalon in the same league as Uniworld. For us, it was an average experience, comparable to a mass market cruise line. And the last cruise with them was a disappointment.

We recently went to Provence with AMA, our 5th cruise with that line. The vessel on that itinerary is their oldest so if you are comparing to newer Uniworld vessels (SuperShips) she likely won't compete. But cabin size compares very well to their older vessels and the crew we had was second to none. The boat itself was impeccably maintained and very comfortable and we had no complaints.

The route covers few actual miles and there was a lot of time in port and most evenings we docked overnight, which gave us time to go out after dinner.

AMA is our favorite so far and have been very pleased with the excellent service we experience on their boats, as well as quality of food and wine and size of cabins. They do not include drinks, tips or transfers in their rates.

We have another AMA cruise booked for the fall on what will be their newest boat and really look forward to it!

We are traveling for the 1st time on Uniworld this summer. The inclusiveness of the line is not important to us as we end up with our own transfers most of the time; we prefer DIY excursions; we like to tip as we go; and our bar tab has always been reasonable on all of our cruises.

I personally do not consider Avalon in the same league as Uniworld. For us, it was an average experience, comparable to a mass market cruise line. And the last cruise with them was a disappointment.

We recently went to Provence with AMA, our 5th cruise with that line. The vessel on that itinerary is their oldest so if you are comparing to newer Uniworld vessels (SuperShips) she likely won't compete. But cabin size compares very well to their older vessels and the crew we had was second to none. The boat itself was impeccably maintained and very comfortable and we had no complaints.

The route covers few actual miles and there was a lot of time in port and most evenings we docked overnight, which gave us time to go out after dinner.

AMA is our favorite so far and have been very pleased with the excellent service we experience on their boats, as well as quality of food and wine and size of cabins. They do not include drinks, tips or transfers in their rates.

We have another AMA cruise booked for the fall on what will be their newest boat and really look forward to it!

This is the exact type of feedback I was looking for. I will begin looking into AMA.

Did the Rhone with Uniworld summer of '13. Really an amazing trip...food, wine, excursions were all top flight. Have taken 4 with Uniworld...our 5th is next month with the Tulips. Be happy to answer any specific questions or concerns but we loved that riverboat cruise.

Rick

This is the exact type of feedback I was looking for. I will begin looking into AMA.

The cost differential for comparable cabins on both lines was well over 1200 per person for our cruises, when comparing Uniworld with AMA, same dates and itineraries. That almost covers our flights.

The cost differential for comparable cabins on both lines was well over 1200 per person for our cruises, when comparing Uniworld with AMA, same dates and itineraries. That almost covers our flights.

Hi Caviargal,

I have been actively shopping this route on both AMA and Uniworld since I started this thread. The total variance for comparable cabins is $1,100. How much are tips and transfers on AMA?

Thanks!

Hi Caviargal,

I have been actively shopping this route on both AMA and Uniworld since I started this thread. The total variance for comparable cabins is $1,100. How much are tips and transfers on AMA?

Thanks!

Depends entirely on the destination.

With AMA we get free transfers (loyalty perk) if arriving to the airport on embark and debark dates. If not, we take a private transfer.

Tipping guidelines are 12E pp per day for the staff/crew and 3E pp Per day for CM.

I always encourage people to "get off the boat" on these cruises, especially this one. Lyon is the gastronomical capital of the world, with many just incredible restaurants. Doesn't matter what you think of the boat's food, step it up and try some of the renowned restaurant's there. Do lunch and dinner in this marvelous town!

Additionally, in Tain-Hermitage there is Paul Jaboulet Aine. They have their tasting room right on the city square in Hermitage. Besides wine tasting, they offer and incredible meal that is paired with 3-4 of their wines. Do this for lunch and you won't need dinner! Taste of few of their other wines along the way. Then go two blocks over to Chapoutier , another very famous and incredible wine maker. Forget the second rate wineries and chocolate factories the boats take you two, these are by far the best venues in town.

Get of the boat!!

I always encourage people to "get off the boat" on these cruises, especially this one. Lyon is the gastronomical capital of the world, with many just incredible restaurants. Doesn't matter what you think of the boat's food, step it up and try some of the renowned restaurant's there. Do lunch and dinner in this marvelous town!

Additionally, in Tain-Hermitage there is Paul Jaboulet Aine. They have their tasting room right on the city square in Hermitage. Besides wine tasting, they offer and incredible meal that is paired with 3-4 of their wines. Do this for lunch and you won't need dinner! Taste of few of their other wines along the way. Then go two blocks over to Chapoutier , another very famous and incredible wine maker. Forget the second rate wineries and chocolate factories the boats take you two, these are by far the best venues in town.

Get of the boat!!

I completely agree! We were almost always in port for lunch and had some wonderful meals.

We stumbled upon Chapoutier - their in town location - and had a lovely private tasting one afternoon. We purchased a few bottles of a tasty Châteauneuf-du-Pape there to bring back to the boat and enjoy.

In Lyon we actually had a lovely dinner in an Italian restaurant (we had our fill of French cuisine by that time and it was our last night in Europe) recommended by a local we struck up a conversation with while at a small wine bar.

Haven't cruised Uniworld (can't get past the French boudoir -- boutique? I don't think so -- decor), but AMA had all the service (and especially fine cuisine) that we could want on our Rhine cruise. Since DW doesn't drink at all and I only drink wine (but I'm an oenophile about it), we found AMA's level of inclusiveness just fine. We are sailing their Rhone itinerary this summer.

Thanks for all of the great tips. So, if we were used to Uniworld service, but wanted a less inclusive experience for this one sailing, AMA would be a good option?

Having not yet cruised with Uniworld and having cruised with AMA 5x so far, we have been very happy.

We are Oceania cruisers if we do ocean cruises (rarely do these days as it is not our preferred way to travel) and travel often to the Caribbean and MX to luxury resorts. Service and food are top priorities for us.

For us, AMA gives us everything we need and want in a river cruise experience.

Edited by caviargal

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

After culling all the helpful reviews on CC DH & I booked AMA Spain & Provence for Aug 2016. Looking for others on this cruise to exchange info etc.

Carole

Thanks for all of the great tips. So, if we were used to Uniworld service, but wanted a less inclusive experience for this one sailing, AMA would be a good option?

Actually, have sailed both - and I don't think (at least, based on my AMA experience) that they are really comparable.

I really like Uniworld - their attention to detail is quite phenomenal. Our AMA experience was the "weakest" of our cruises so far (have traveled with AMA, Avalon, Uniworld, Scenic & Viking....).

The crew - especially the CD - can make - or break - the experience. And, you have no control over that detail.

When we did our AMA cruise, we arrived on the boat the SAME DAY that they had a massive turn over in wait staff. While pleasant (and eager to please) the staff struggled greatly, and the dining experience was not what I had been used to with Uniworld. And, we found that the CD was "standoffish". Others have had a much better experience with AMA. But, it isn't always consistent across the lines.

Our Rhone cruise with Avalon exceeded my expectations. We were expecting "less" as we paid "less".... but this was not the reality. Our CD was great - and he certainly added to the entire experience.

One thing that was different with our Rhone cruise (and, not sure if this is with all Rhone cruises - or even just with Avalon....) was that on days that the optional excursion was in the morning (ie: when we went to the Pont du Gard) - arrangements were made for people to go on the included excursion in the afternoon. Instead of having to choose between Pont du Gard and the Pope's Palace (as both were offered 1st thing in the morning) we could do the optional, and then the included later in the day.

Also - because we went to the Pont du Gard in the morning, we did not have to fight the crowds experienced by people who went in the afternoon (we were there at the end of June.)

The closest we have come to Uniworld is Scenic - but, their price point for the Rhone is quite high.

Also - our Avalon cruise included a night in Monaco, and 2 nights in Paris. We traveled by train to Paris - and many companies (if Paris is included) bus the passengers.

We really loved the Rhone. We flew into Nice and spent a couple of days there before heading to Monaco to start the tour.

Fran

Edited by franski

The crew - especially the CD - can make - or break - the experience. And, you have no control over that detail.

When we did our AMA cruise, we arrived on the boat the SAME DAY that they had a massive turn over in wait staff. While pleasant (and eager to please) the staff struggled greatly, and the dining experience was not what I had been used to with Uniworld. And, we found that the CD was "standoffish". Others have had a much better experience with AMA. But, it isn't always consistent across the lines.

Fran -- don't you think the facts you give make it likely that your AMA experience was not indicative of the line generally? The wait staff had just turned over -- this doesn't happen very often on any boat -- and your particular CD was standoffish -- the CD is different on every sailing [i know because our AMA CD stayed with us for the post-cruise excursion, so the next cruise got a difference CD.] You haven't given them another chance, yet you trot out these same complaints over and over. My own philosophy is to treat any bad experience with a grain of salt -- even my own -- because it might just have been a bad day at the office; good experiences are more likely valid across the board because it's harder to "punch above your weight."

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Fran -- don't you think the facts you give make it likely that your AMA experience was not indicative of the line generally? The wait staff had just turned over -- this doesn't happen very often on any boat -- and your particular CD was standoffish -- the CD is different on every sailing [i know because our AMA CD stayed with us for the post-cruise excursion, so the next cruise got a difference CD.] You haven't given them another chance, yet you trot out these same complaints over and over. My own philosophy is to treat any bad experience with a grain of salt -- even my own -- because it might just have been a bad day at the office; good experiences are more likely valid across the board because it's harder to "punch above your weight."

Jazzbeau - I haven't given them another chance because they haven't had a package I have been interested to try.

I try to offer an informed opinion. I don't believe that AMA is comparable to Uniworld - and I *have* traveled both. There aren't many of us on this board who have strayed to other lines, so feel that I do have something to offer. I offer the reasons why I don't feel they are equal (rather than just saying they aren't the same....) - and have *always* said that the CD is, in my opinion, one of the biggest single details that can make or break a cruise - and you have NO control over that. I have also acknowledged that others have had much better experiences than I.

But - it appears that my comment/opinion - simply because I have made it before - is considered "old news" - and somehow less valuable.

Thanks for pointing out that I am becoming annoying with this train of thought. I won't bother to post on this again.

Hopefully there will be others who have actually sailed multiple lines - and can offer more "up to date" comments.

Fran

Having sailed with two lines so far it will be interesting to compare our upcoming Uniworld cruise with previous river cruise experiences.

For us, the most disappointing experience was aboard Avalon Panorama. Food was poor, service ranged from good to snarky. Not only was wine mediocre but we were cut off after the entree was served. We started bringing our own bottles to dinner and paying the corkage.

New Year's Eve aboard was like watching paint dry. We walked over to the Vantage boat rafted to us and asked if they would allow us to purchase drinks and stay for a while as they had a band and guests were having a blast. Unfortunately the answer was no and we were relegated to an audience participation skit that seemed never ending. That was our last with Avalon and we would not return.

Since we will be aboard a new Uniworld vessel and have sailed the latest and greatest with Avalon (at the time Panorama was new that season) and AMA (AmaCerto, AmaReina were both in their inaguaral seasons when we sailed) it will be a good basis for comparison.

Edited by caviargal

When there are so many cruise lines doing similar itineraries, if I had a less than satisfactory experience there would be little reason to sail that line again. I don't think telling someone they are "trotting out old complaints" is exactly fair. As a newbie to the river cruise board, I appreciate hearing everyone's experiences, good and bad. Then it's up to me to decide what weight those opinions play on my decision.

I'm not sure that high turnover of staff on the river boat cruisers isn't common. On our Viking Rhone cruise last summer, our crew experienced very high turnover, which was highly evident in their (in)efficiencies with the serving staff. Some of the long term crew was even complaining about the problems all the turnover was causing.

That cruise was in September. One of the crew told me that turnover typically gets higher after early September. Most of these routes are seasonal, and if a crew member can find either permanent work or work to last until the next summer season, they are gone. Plus part of the early crew had been students and they had all returned to school.

Two things must be remembered. These are river cruises where the boat stops in multiple cities within Europe, and most all the crew are Europeans. This is not like an ocean cruise, where if a crew member wants to get off the boat, he may find himself in the Pacific or South America, thousands of miles from home.

Jazzbeau - I haven't given them another chance because they haven't had a package I have been interested to try.

I try to offer an informed opinion. I don't believe that AMA is comparable to Uniworld - and I *have* traveled both. There aren't many of us on this board who have strayed to other lines, so feel that I do have something to offer. I offer the reasons why I don't feel they are equal (rather than just saying they aren't the same....) - and have *always* said that the CD is, in my opinion, one of the biggest single details that can make or break a cruise - and you have NO control over that. I have also acknowledged that others have had much better experiences than I.

But - it appears that my comment/opinion - simply because I have made it before - is considered "old news" - and somehow less valuable.

Thanks for pointing out that I am becoming annoying with this train of thought. I won't bother to post on this again.

Hopefully there will be others who have actually sailed multiple lines - and can offer more "up to date" comments.

Fran

To Fran (and others who have commented on my post): I appreciate the thoughtfulness with which you post, and I agree that you are careful to explain the reasons for your conclusions. And I certainly do not deny anyone's experience as valid. My only point was that it seems to me that your AMA experience was unusual due to the turnover of waitstaff and the bad luck of a poor CD. If problems like these were turning up in other AMA reviews, that would be a big red flag. But since none of the other AMA reviews have mentioned these problems, I think they could be written off as anomalies -- and I assume that most veteran CC members have developed a similar internal filter. It is precisely about newbies that I am concerned, because we see how few people use the search function to get the entire picture -- a newbie reading this post might assume that it is more representative of the normal AMA experience than I think Fran intends to imply. My post was really only an attempt to provide "food for thought," but I realize that my "host" status makes it more than that -- for that I'm sorry. I really don't want to chill Fran or anyone from posting freely in this forum.