Can anyone tell me if this is true....

Worldtraveler 4727

This comment was made recently:

"I have been told by Princess, that if the museums, (in Florence) are closed on the day that the ship is in port, and you book that tour, they have a special dispensation and you will get in....Again, I have no idea if this is true, but it is what I have been told."

Does anyone know if this is true??:confused:

I would SEVERELY doubt this.

Princess has no control over it. It's possible that a given tour provider may be able to make some arrangements, but if there was a way to get in museums like that when they are ostensibly closed and avoid the crowds, cruise passengers would not be the first market.

"I have been told by Princess, that if the museums, (in Florence) are closed on the day that the ship is in port, and you book that tour, they have a special dispensation and you will get in....Again, I have no idea if this is true, but it is what I have been told."

On my first Mediterranean cruise, we were in Rome on Sunday. The Vatican museum was closed. This prevented us from seeing the Cistine Chapel. Considering how many visitors to Florence are from cruise ships, I can't see how they would open the museums to cruise ship passengers.

Traveler, something similar happened to us in 2012. All the guidebooks said a museum was closed on the day of the week we were to visit (cannot for the life of me remember which one, it may have been in Greece). The museum was open for our tour and also appeared to be open for anyone else as it was full of other groups and people. So there might be some truth to the statement, although I agree that it is unlikely they would open for just one tour busload; more likely for 20 or more and then only if it is not in conflict with religious limits. Which museum in Florence and what day of the week?

Edited by cherylandtk

If it's May 1st it won't be open. That's a huge holiday in Italy, and we were unlucky enough to be in Rome on May 1st two years in a row. St. Peter's Basilica was open, but the Sistine Chapel and other museums were closed.

Back in 2009 in Istanbul, Aya Sophia was closed to all but Cruise passengers and we could not get in with our Private guide. However, the last I was there it was open to all.

You should call the cruise line and ask about your specific cruise, rather than listen to random comments. And even if its only open to "cruise passengers" you should expect a large crowd because there will be one!

Traveler, something similar happened to us in 2012. All the guidebooks said a museum was closed on the day of the week we were to visit (cannot for the life of me remember which one, it may have been in Greece). The museum was open for our tour and also appeared to be open for anyone else as it was full of other groups and people. So there might be some truth to the statement, although I agree that it is unlikely they would open for just one tour busload; more likely for 20 or more and then only if it is not in conflict with religious limits. Which museum in Florence and what day of the week?

The date in question is Monday, Oct 26. And as I understand it, the Accademia and the Uffizi in Florence are closed on Mondays....

I am assuming that the comment was made to you by someone other than Princess. I doubt that a tour would be listed in the Princess excursions on your cruise if the places were not available. I would suggest that you call Princess and make sure that these museums are open on that date for this particular excursion.

In Florence there is supposed to always be 1 museum open on Monday. I think I saw a schedule somewhere that lists which one for each date. Sadly, the Monday I was there that 1 museum was closed for renovation.

Any chance you could fly in early or stay a day or 2 later to see the museums. Florence is really easy to get to by train.

I do know that special arrangements are made in St. Petersburg (Russia) for some of the sites. I am guessing there are other cities who do something similar.

I would call Princess and have them ask the excursions department to find out for sure.

I decided to validate my earlier statement. Made a few calls to friends in the tourism industry in Italy..

When the museums are closed to the public, they are closed to all general admission (i.e. no ticket sales available either pre-sale or at door). It IS possible for large groups to arrange entry to the museums on those days with pre-purchased tickets at a premium price.

Also there are many museums in Florence that ARE open on Mondays (the Uffizi and Accademia are not) so the answer may vary based on the actual museum.

It remains to be seen if Princess or their tour companies have done so. They would meet the size requirements.

ETA: Museums open on Mondays:

http://www.visitflorence.com/florence-museums/open-on-mondays.html

Edited by Loonbeam

On Monday, May 11, the Emerald will be in Livorno for Florence. There is a tour listed for this date which includes Uffizi and Academia, and under Special Notes it says "This tour will not operate on Mondays as Academia and Uffizi are closed." :confused: Nevertheless, they have accepted bookings and it is even weightlisted!! As we know, Princess doesn't always get the facts straight up front. Could go either way. I decided to go to Lucca instead.

We were on one Princess cruise in the Greek isles where we had a Princess tour booked that went from the port on Mykonos to the nearby island of Delos.

It turned out that the tour was on the day Delos was closed to all visiters except those on a Princess tour. The only thing closed for us was a small museum among the many ruins.

There were a number of upset passengers on the ship who had planned to take a ferry to the island on their own but did not learn until on board that would not be possible that day. They were upset that Princess had not informed them in advance that independent tours were not possible and by the time they found out, the Princess tour was sold out.

Moral: Always check if the place you want to take an independent tour to is open to the general public on the day you will be there.

There is a tour listed for this date which includes Uffizi and Academia, and under Special Notes it says "This tour will not operate on Mondays as Academia and Uffizi are closed." :confused: Nevertheless, they have accepted bookings and it is even weightlisted!!

Does that mean the tour isnt necessarily full but it has reached the maximum weight allowed? ....Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Maybe there are actually NO bookings for the tour that day but the software inadvertently still allowed people to be waitlisted when they tried to sign up for it.

There were a number of upset passengers on the ship who had planned to take a ferry to the island on their own but did not learn until on board that would not be possible that day. They were upset that Princess had not informed them in advance that independent tours were not possible and by the time they found out, the Princess tour was sold out.

So as many suspected....It IS always someone else's fault! Another example of unrealistic expectations. At least the people who regularly support Princess shore excursions made it to Delos that day.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

A couple of years ago we were in Florence on a Monday and saw a group on a Princess tour enter the museum, and it was a special deal. If you are able to go on a Monday and gain entrance, think how much less crowded it would be if you only had other cruise ship or private tours to deal with. It may cost more for these tours as the are booked as special private tours.

I know for a fact that at least at the Academia in Florence that they DO OPEN for cruise ship tours during the scheduled Closed days and Closed hours

Enjoy

Srpilo

This is what is says at the bottom of the page for the Island Princess Oct 25 sailing to Florence for Princess excursions under Special Notes:

"The Accademia is closed on Mondays, May 1st and on some other holidays. A visit to the interior of Santa Croce Church will be substituted."

As for the other major Florence museum, the Uffizi, it is not offered at all for excursions on that date-presumably because the tour is on a Monday.

Princess was unable to answer this question, and with the varied answers here, unfortunately, the puzzle remains....