Bad review about Dawn Princess

Hi

You may be interested 'Voyager of the Seas' on Ch 7 tonight

Tuesday 31 March

8:00pm - 9:00pm

Seven

Tom, Rach and Rosso Go Cruising - Seven

Documentary | PG

Tom, Rach and Rosso head to the South Pacific onboard Australia's largest cruise ship.

Thanks, I will be watching it.

I too swear by sea bands. I also took ginger tablets the first day, and another day when the seas were rocky..

One thing I noticed from reading reviews/forums was many people saying that the ships are so big that you "barely feel it". So I was surprised when I first stepped on the ship and I knew instantly that I wasn't on solid ground, and that was before we were actually moving. It might be different for experienced cruisers, but I definitely felt it, and was a bit woozy (not actually sick, but the potential felt like it was there) for about the first 24 hours.

Now - I love the moving of the ship, being rocked to sleep, and miss it very much. I can't wait to go again!!

Sea bands and travacalm ginger tablets were bought at Chemist Warehouse, I wouldn't go without them, and I liked that they weren't "medicine", so no worries about side effects.

As to bad reviews, I have this problem too, reading bad reviews can really put me off. Try and look at them as a whole. I look at the percentage guide and for me personally, I think over 70% is okay. I'm not particularly fussy and can shrug off minor inconveniences. On the Spirit the ship was leaking everywhere and the carpet in the cabin hallways was always wet. But I had a great time. Things happen! Yet some would rant and rave about such a thing. So I agree - take them with a grain of salt, unless they are overwhelmingly bad!

I believe the 2 days you were onboard were part of a longer cruise itinerary 'The Northern Explorer". Probably not long enough to get a good feel of the ship and its facilities. I have found that longer cruises do attract an older age group.

And when they're a partial cruise like the above even less so.

The cruise director designs the plan based on cruisers for the entire cruise, so with partial cruises like this, the entertainment is not designed around those on just for a couple of days.

Sure, it gives you a flavour, but it's not a great representation.

If you're going to get sea sick, you're going to get sea sick, not matter the ship. I get seasick, but I take Avomine (over the counter from the Chemist) and it works great. I have been on both Dawn Princess and Voyager and I prefer Dawn hands down (by the way, I'm in my 30's). For me, Voyager was too big, lines to do everything, crowds of people you couldn't escape, no quiet areas. Dawn was relaxing, peaceful and more sophisticated. I guess it depends on your personal likes and dislikes.

I would go for Voyager over Dawn in a heartbeat, also Voyager has special stabilisers whch i can,t rem what they were called but in the dinning room your wine doesnt even move. Also she is huge so u dont notice the extra passengers

Age group - All good advice so far but a cruise is what YOU make it. If you have to depend on the age of other passengers to give you a good experience then you are short changing yourself.

Ship choice - As far as Dawn over RCI ships..............Aussie ships always

less passengers, cheaper on-board costs etc

Movement - there will always be movement on a ship and especially going towards Tassie, NZ and New Caledonia as along the east coast we have that thing called "The ditch"

GOOD luck go and enjoy your first cruise :)

Edited by bubbles2014

I agree with Madwoofter. We went on a 14 day cruise on theDawn Princess in 2010. We were mid 40's. We found the cruise catered for the over 70's. The entertainment, comedian and activities were aimed at them. We meet other couples, one who were in their 20's and the other 50's and they like us felt there wasn't enough for us. We are now planning a cruise on the Voyager of the Seas. The TA I spoke to last week said the demographics were 50's downward. With only a few elderly cruisers. At least we can choose not to participate rather than having nothing to do. Either way have fun on your cruise. It might be the beginning of a whole new addiction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A lot of it is also what you are looking for in a cruise, our first cruise we were early-mid 40s and among the 10 youngest on the ship. But normally when we cruise we want to kick back, so that suited us just fine.

There can be differences between ships, but there aren't any major differences with Dawn Princess that will make you more likely to be seasick than on the RCL ships for example.

I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor, though certainly take precautions against sea sickness if you think you may be affected - on any ship.

I completely agree! To the OP, please keep in mind that most sea sickness medications work as a preventative, not a cure so tackle it early!

Two dayer cruises are nothing like real cruises .... I've just booked one... to me they are just a weekend away...if I'm lucky and a group of friends are on..we call it a long dinner party. Sometimes I'll do it to check out a new ship...but it in no ways resembles normal cruising. All postings are just an opinion, everyone's entitled to their opinion however it's good to remember it may be based on very limited experience or totally unrealistic expectations.

Sue

Reading the reviews, someone was complaining about having seasickness on the Dawn Princess. They had been on the RCI ships before and said they never got sick. They made the Dawn Princess out to be terrible. They said they felt every movement on the ship. Now we are deciding who to go with for our first cruise, which happens to be to Tasmania from Sydney. Our choices are Dawn Princess in October or The Voyager of the Seas in November. It's hard when you've never cruised before. Can only read the reviews, but some really put you off. Would love to hear others thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

Number 1 Golden Rule of Internet. Ignore all reviews.

Two dayer cruises are nothing like real cruises ... to me they are just a weekend away...

All postings are just an opinion, everyone's entitled to their opinion however it's good to remember it may be based on very limited experience or totally unrealistic expectations.

Absolutely. Everyone is different and have different opinions.

On Royal you don't have to prepay gratuities when you book and you don't have to pay daily gratuities onboard.

TAs can be particularly misleading on this.

More commission I suspect.

Nope, if anything some TAs can be the reverse.

Gratuities are expected on RCL.

No one mentioned location, location, location. If you are worried about getting sick you do not want a cabin at the very front or back of the ship. Middle is best. If the weather is bad it will not matter what cruiseline you are on you will feel the motion but less with a middle cabin. I would recommend that you start any seasick medications at least one day prior to boarding. The medication will not work if you take them after you feel ill. BTW I see that the Dawn is going into dry dock.

Edited by waltd

No one mentioned location, location, location. If you are worried about getting sick you do not want a cabin at the very front or back of the ship. Middle is best. If the weather is bad it will not matter what cruiseline you are on you will feel the motion but less with a middle cabin. I would recommend that you start any seasick medications at least one day prior to boarding. The medication will not work if you take them after you feel ill. BTW I see that the Dawn is going into dry dock.

I agree with your comment about the location of the cabin. Lower decks are also better.

I agree that it is better to take seasickness medication before you feel ill, but the first time I took Avomine it was after another medication hadn't done the job. I was very sick when the Medical Centre told me to get some Avomine. I took it and half an hour later was feeling reasonably well.:) I never cruise without a supply of Avomine, even I only have to take it occasionally.

I agree with your comment about the location of the cabin. Lower decks are also better.

I agree that it is better to take seasickness medication before you feel ill, but the first time I took Avomine it was after another medication hadn't done the job. I was very sick when the Medical Centre told me to get some Avomine. I took it and half an hour later was feeling reasonably well.:) I never cruise without a supply of Avomine, even I only have to take it occasionally.

I always think of a ship as somewhat like a see saw.....there is less movement in the middle, while the front and back rise and fall with the ocean swells...

Seesaw-aa.jpg

The lower decks are worse for some as the waves can LOOK bigger then when looking down on them from a few decks higher.

Herself swears by starting her med a few days before we go, then green apples [one or two a day] and ginger [tablets, pieces and tea she says are all good]

I always think of a ship as somewhat like a see saw.....there is less movement in the middle, while the front and back rise and fall with the ocean swells...

Seesaw-aa.jpg

Love the photo. Worst case if you really get sick there is always the doctor and a shot and you are out. I always take my sleeping pills. :)

Ready to jump on the Dawn again in about 10 days, bought my supply of Avomine yesterday, not that I've needed it in the past. A positive attitude is what is needed.

I will not get sick, I will not get sick, I will not get sick.:D

Tips would be added to your drinks no matter which line you choose it is a normal practice.

I have sailed on both a Australia based ship and a US based to be honest I have found that the US based ships are better value. Do not think you have to do the ship excursions only.

There should be a Roll Call listed for both of these cruises here on CC. There you can talk to other passengers who sometimes arrange private tours at a cheaper cost. This may also assist you in your final decision.

Dawn Princess roll calls are here. Look for your sailing date.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=300

Voyager roll calls again look for your sailing date.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=275

Hi Yves Princess based ships do not add a percentage to the drinks but they do start at a slightly higher price. This way you know what you are going to pay without having to allow for an up-price

Hope you and Stewart are well we are off to Hawaii tomorrow

Hi. Can someone tell me what ingredient is in Avomine that prevents/counteracts motion sickness? Is it Meclizine as is in the products we purchase in the US, or is there a better, less drowsy ingredient that you can get? I have used Bonine and Dramamine, and each works, but both induce some drowsiness. Thank you

Hi. Can someone tell me what ingredient is in Avomine that prevents/counteracts motion sickness? Is it Meclizine as is in the products we purchase in the US, or is there a better, less drowsy ingredient that you can get? I have used Bonine and Dramamine, and each works, but both induce some drowsiness. Thank you

Avomine contains 25mg of Promethazine theoclate 25mg.

Bonine contains 25mg of Meclizine hydrochloride

Dramamine contains 50mg Dimenhydrinate

I am not a chemist so I cannot compare the ingredients of these products.

Maybe different products work better for different people. I have taken dramamine, but it not only put me to sleep, I couldn't really wake up. I was so 'spaced out' that I wouldn't take it again. I have bought a bottle of Bonine, but I haven't taken any yet because Avomine works well for me. They don't make me drowsy, but I would probably go to sleep if I sat in a dark theatre to watch a movie - but that might happen anyway!!:)

Edited by Aus Traveller