Which fee will be the straw that breaks your back?

LoveyHowell

So which unannounced, slapped in, "for your convenience" fee will be the one that finally breaks your back as far as NCL goes?

This new CEO seems to have Gonewild on new charges and people are clearly upset. Just curious what your own individual breaking point is going to be?

It would cost us a fortune to switch now to Liberty of the Seas, and don't like that itinerary, so we are "in it" with NCL for this summer to Bermuda, but after that we're going to have to start looking at other cruise lines or other vacations. When they fee you every 5 feet it makes it hard to relax, at least for me it does.

So which unannounced, slapped in, "for your convenience" fee will be the one that finally breaks your back as far as NCL goes?

This new CEO seems to have Gonewild on new charges and people are clearly upset. Just curious what your own individual breaking point is going to be?

It would cost us a fortune to switch now to Liberty of the Seas, and don't like that itinerary, so we are "in it" with NCL for this summer to Bermuda, but after that we're going to have to start looking at other cruise lines or other vacations. When they fee you every 5 feet it makes it hard to relax, at least for me it does.

To answer your question i think for a lot of people will be perks being reduced for Platinum members. It already started NCL Europe.

As far as fees go, nothing. Their rates are still the best, IMO. The only thing that would make me leave is if freestyle goes away. I go on vacation to enjoy myself, not dress to the nines and be forced to eat with people I don't know or care for.

As far as fees go, nothing. Their rates are still the best, IMO. .

I agree. Cheap cruise price is NCL's ultimate bullet proof trump card. All the negative stuff the last few days are not going to scare away bargain hunting cruisers.

Oh for the love of God ... Please stop. This entire board is about the fees now. it is seriously time to stop.

I don't think so !

These complaints (posts) have come about because NCL has chosen a path of

nickel and diming the loyal or what would be loyal customers by charging

fees and other charges without advanced notice AND so many all at once !

Cruising used to be a simple one fee one fare stress and care free pleasurable event.

Now you don't know what is next - perhaps charging a fee to use silverware

and a napkin in the buffet - and oh the new charge to use the elevator - and so on and so forth.

I would hope the folks at NCL take a clue from the feedback they are going to receive from such ill founded practices.

Simply why not raise the fare and HIDE the all inclusive extra charges/fees in the fare !

Apparently they have not read the book "Cruising for Dummies" or otherwise K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) !

I agree. Cheap cruise price is NCL's ultimate bullet proof trump card. All the negative stuff the last few days are not going to scare away bargain hunting cruisers.

My NCL Epic cruise was not a bargain and by no means cheap !!!!!!!!!! my 2 MSC cruises were bargains (and fantastic) ....................so for me the straw has broken the camels back already so unless my up coming Epic cruise is totally amazing it will be my last NCL

I have only sailed NCL and DCL and honestly DCL has a more expensive base price but is worth it in my opinion because I don't have to worry about fees left and right . more importantly , I don't have to worry about not knowing those fees were added without notice prior to sailing .

Cruising should not be this hard or have to put so much thought into it. We have to read the really fine print and even then, what you thought is included may not be by the time you step on the boat.

Cruising is supposed to be relaxing. NCL is making it anything but relaxing this last month.

It just seems to me that they are taking the all inclusive no worries vacation and making it worrisome. There are other vacation choices that can be made . And they seem to be pushing people towards them.

I agree with you 110% what was suppose to be a final payment and worry free now has turned into "whats next" "how much more do i have to pay" so I totally agree it causes worry. That said my opinion isn't so much as the fees but HOW they did it and why it wasn't more publicized and why they chose to do "test" ships and not fleet wide. More notice was the key for this not to turn into a manajery of angry customers.

For me it's the fact things change at the last minute. I think once final payment has been made things should be locked in. As a example I do not want to get on board and find that I now have to pay for room service when it was included on the date I paid for and was locked into the trip.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

To me this whole discussion is nuts, if you don't want to feel like there is a charge around every corner go to an all inclusive line. You can go to Regent and not have all those fees and pay 4 times as much for the cruise. The fact is NCL has spent $4.5 on new ships in the last 4 years and with their low cruise cost the debt payments are coming from somewhere. If they had increased the fare by $85 per person for every cruise most people would not of even noticed it and this board would be happy. You can't have it both ways

To me this whole discussion is nuts, if you don't want to feel like there is a charge around every corner go to an all inclusive line. You can go to Regent and not have all those fees and pay 4 times as much for the cruise. The fact is NCL has spent $4.5 on new ships in the last 4 years and with their low cruise cost the debt payments are coming from somewhere. If they had increased the fare by $85 per person for every cruise most people would not of even noticed it and this board would be happy. You can't have it both ways

What does NCL's debt service have to do with this discussion? If they are trying to build too many new ships in too short a time, that's not my problem. Maybe they should live within their means like we all have to. To add all these new fees to their guests is ridiculous; especially since it was put into place immediately. I also hate posts that say, "if you don't like it go to XXX". Not your call to make. We all choose the cruises we choose for a miriad of reasons that you don't know.

Come on " what does their debt service have to do with it" you can't be serious? Neither NCL nor any other line are running these ships for your or my benefit. The cost of the new ship has to be paid for by someone, welcome to the world of economic reality.

I'm very nervous / concerned about what other "surprise" fees will pop up between now and my 2015 NCL cruise. 2015 is a short cruise for just two of us, so something really major would have to change between now and then for me to cancel. Once I am past final payment I will have to strongly consider any other surprise changes versus a reduction in DSC so that I receive the product offered at the original agreed upon price. It is awful that NCL have put their staff in this position.

If there are a bunch more changes I'll have to strongly evaluate my 2016 NCL cruise. We booked NCL for 2016 with one of the top considerations being the new, inclusive kids club for toddlers. NCL have, by two different people, in writing, committed to me that this amenity will remain free and we are budgeting accordingly. If they suddenly reverse this I can no longer trust NCL's word on anything.

Double suck is we've gotten a group together that has 7 cabins, so I'm put into a spot of either spending much more than anticipated for the same experience as originally promised, or not traveling with friends and family. Of the 7 cabins (20 people) only ONE person has sailed NCL before, the rest took some convincing to move from RCI and Princess. No one appreciates having a hand stuck out every step of the way. If things continue this way there will be a lot of "One and Done" with NCL.

Edited by LMaxwell

I'm very nervous / concerned about what other "surprise" fees will pop up between now and my 2015 NCL cruise. 2015 is a short cruise for just two of us, so something really major would have to change between now and then for me to cancel. Once I am past final payment I will have to strongly consider any other surprise changes versus a reduction in DSC so that I receive the product offered at the original agreed upon price. It is awful that NCL have put their staff in this position.

If there are a bunch more changes I'll have to strongly evaluate my 2016 NCL cruise. We booked NCL for 2016 with one of the top considerations being the new, inclusive kids club for toddlers. NCL have, by two different people, in writing, committed to me that this amenity will remain free and we are budgeting accordingly. If they suddenly reverse this I can no longer trust NCL's word on anything.

Double suck is we've gotten a group together that has 7 cabins, so I'm put into a spot of either spending much more than anticipated for the same experience as originally promised, or not traveling with friends and family. Of the 7 cabins (20 people) only ONE person has sailed NCL before, the rest took some convincing to move from RCI and Princess. No one appreciates having a hand stuck out every step of the way. If things continue this way there will be a lot of "One and Done" with NCL.

If you are talking kids club for under 3, I was left with a major impression you will be charged hourly. When we first learned of the offering via a survey, I was asked what price I would be willing to pay for it. Where did you hear otherwise?

HoopTroop

To me this should have been a very simple process:

1-do not call the extra costs "fees", just hide them in a price increase

2-do not take anything away, this will make people more upset than cost

The less consumers know, the better. Prices increase all of the time. The $50 thing could have been hidden so easy with a fare increase.

If you are talking kids club for under 3, I was left with a major impression you will be charged hourly. When we first learned of the offering via a survey, I was asked what price I would be willing to pay for it. Where did you hear otherwise?

HoopTroop

Some cruise ships already have babysitting programs for under age 3 that are charged by the hour. So this would not be new. The Escape is going to have a "Guppies" program with dedicated nursery for those under age 3.

Two PCC's told me it is free of charge. In addition, I emailed NCL Social Media and they responded telling me Guppies is free of charge.

i will be bringing all documentation stating the Guppies program is free of charge and do not expect to be charged for it. If I am met with a charge i will take it up with the Hotel Director and provide emails from NCL representatives stating it is free.

Some cruise ships already have babysitting programs for under age 3 that are charged by the hour. So this would not be new. The Escape is going to have a "Guppies" program with dedicated nursery for those under age 3.

Two PCC's told me it is free of charge. In addition, I emailed NCL Social Media and they responded telling me Guppies is free of charge.

i will be bringing all documentation stating the Guppies program is free of charge and do not expect to be charged for it. If I am met with a charge i will take it up with the Hotel Director and provide emails from NCL representatives stating it is free.

I hope you are right and they specifically said guppies on Escape will be free for kids club drop off and they were not referencing the current guppies program on all ships that is free because an adult must stay.

HoopTroop

I hope you are right and they specifically said guppies on Escape will be free for kids club drop off and they were not referencing the current guppies program on all ships that is free because an adult must stay.

HoopTroop

The PCC certainly knows the ship I am on and my reservation number. Not only did I ask in conversation but I emailed and then emailed another PCC as well to verify. I then emailed NCL Social Media and they corroborated. I did not think the wording from Social Media was as concrete as it was from my PCC so I have emailed again, very specifically, and am awaiting their response. As it stands now though I have two emails from NCL email addresses stating no charges for any kids club programming.