Ryndam - apparent murder/suicide onboard

Discussion of HAL's PR response here, with discussion of previous incidents.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/04/articles/social-media-1/hal-jumps-the-gun-again-calls-deaths-a-murdersuicide/

Considering the earned reputation of that website that's par for the course. Got a chuckle out of the accusation of jumping to conclusions.

I agree. As a person who enjoys cruising, I hope I never become so complacent as to dismiss violent crimes at sea as just a regular part of the cruising experience.

Cruising is a part of life (well for some people ) and these things are a part of life wherever you go.

Very sad to say , but this "stuff" does happen . And for every horrible story that makes the world news , there are many that never do and you never hear of.

I don't know if I have become complacent But after 31 years as 9-1-1 dispatcher and almost 7 years as an EMT , I am not as shocked and rattled as some when they hear stories like this. Saddened yes......surprised no.

Were they 57, were they 27. Was one of them dying and the other didn't want to live without him/her. Was one of them cheating and the other felt if I can't have them no one will. Were they losing their home and business and this was the "easy" way out. Who knows? I have heard them all and more.

Life doesn't turn to sunshine and roses just because you are on a cruise , or vacationing in Paradise

It's all a balance, IMO

Copper John posted this week about an amazing medical debark at sea. To see what the U.S. Coast Guard helicopter team and ship's crew did to save a dangerously ill guest was wonderful. People are saved and some people do not want to be saved.

Babyher has spent a career helping people. Let's concentrate on those who help others and not waste energy being critical of people who see suicide and murder as a black side of human life but nevertheless a part of it.

Edited by sail7seas

We are now at St. John's, Antigua. The cruise goes on. A very unfortunate incident to be a part of.

Tampa girl, had heard the people Disembarked prior to sailing from Tampa were for medical reasons and in at least the case of two of them it was a medical problem that happened during the safety drill while out on deck.

While off here in St. John's in one of the stores the staff there had heard about what happened from another passenger and told us what she was told but we all know how stories get changed when getting passed on from one person to another.

Edited by rjbean4

We are now at St. John's, Antigua. The cruise goes on. A very unfortunate incident to be a part of.

Tampa girl, had heard the people Disembarked prior to sailing from Tampa were for medical reasons and in at least the case of two of them it was a medical problem that happened during the safety drill while out on deck.

Thanks, rjbean.

No problem. Glad I could help. Has this event been on the news in Tampa like it looks to be everywhere else?. We leave at 5pm and head for St. Lucia for tomorrow.

RJbean...... Nice how you put your Platinum Medallion Pin as your avatar. I admired it yesterday and again today. :) If it weren't I'd be copying you, I would do the same.

Hope the rest of your cruise is 'event free' and you enjoy.

Hi sail. Thanks for the compliment. As my mom says the platinum medallion is the most expensive piece of jewelry we own and it's not uncommon for people trying to figure out how I have one at the age of 50. We have had it for 3 years. Well we only cruise Holland America and have been doing so for over 27 years. We were going to be on here for the August 1st sailing but had a change of plans. We did the maiden voyage of the Ryndam over my birthday in Oct. 1994 so we wanted to get on her one more time as we are mostly cruising on the visit a and signature ships. We are now leaving for St. Lucia.

Edited by rjbean4

Cruising is a part of life (well for some people ) and these things are a part of life wherever you go.

Very sad to say , but this "stuff" does happen . And for every horrible story that makes the world news , there are many that never do and you never hear of.

>SNIP<

Life doesn't turn to sunshine and roses just because you are on a cruise , or vacationing in Paradise

I agree. Whenever there is a large group of people, there will be tragic, terrible "stuff". At my last place of employment there were about 3,000 employees. Whatever goes on in society also goes on in a workplace that size -- births, deaths, illness, marriage, divorce, murder, suicide -- all of it.

Sincere condolences to the family or families of these passengers.

No problem. Glad I could help. Has this event been on the news in Tampa like it looks to be everywhere else?. We leave at 5pm and head for St. Lucia for tomorrow.

It was carried in the Tampa paper, but I did not see it in the St. Pete Times (Tampa Bay Times), and nothing was mentioned on the evening news Friday night. Enjoy St. Lucia!

I saw it on the local news (Channel 9, I think) early Friday morning.

They referred to a cruise ship that left Tampa. Then it showed a ship with a blue hull and we knew it had to be the Ryndam.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Today is Easter Sunday and we are in Castries, St. Lucia. We leave at 3pm and head down to Soufriere and the pitons to pick up passengers on tours that end there. Then a day at sea the Willemstad, Curacao. To us it seems like the mood is that we had a unfortunate incident on board and just moving on with the rest of the cruise. We are half way with one week down and one more to go. Not much we can do about it and people aren't letting it getting it way of having a nice time on board. Like anything else when things happen it's all over the news but then we move on to other things that happen.

Sail, mom & I started cruising with HAL in 88. Do 2 a year and always on for Christmas and new years. There is a story about how we got started but to long an detailed to type using my phone so will have to share it another time. We were booked to do the august 1st sailing on the Ryndam but had a change of plans in February. Also allowed us to finally do some work in our kitchen and we will be home in July for the entire time very dear friends of ours from the Netherlands will be coming. Otherwise we would have left for London before they are heading home. We have been on all of the HAL ships except the Princendam and have done 5 maiden voyages. For 99-00 we were on the Statendam in Hawaii in one of the last time zones in the world to go from 1999 to 2000.

Today is Easter Sunday and we are in Castries, St. Lucia. We leave at 3pm and head down to Soufriere and the pitons to pick up passengers on tours that end there. Then a day at sea the Willemstad, Curacao. To us it seems like the mood is that we had a unfortunate incident on board and just moving on with the rest of the cruise. We are half way with one week down and one more to go. Not much we can do about it and people aren't letting it getting it way of having a nice time on board. Like anything else when things happen it's all over the news but then we move on to other things that happen.

Sail, mom & I started cruising with HAL in 88. Do 2 a year and always on for Christmas and new years. There is a story about how we got started but to long an detailed to type using my phone so will have to share it another time. We were booked to do the august 1st sailing on the Ryndam but had a change of plans in February. Also allowed us to finally do some work in our kitchen and we will be home in July for the entire time very dear friends of ours from the Netherlands will be coming. Otherwise we would have left for London before they are heading home. We have been on all of the HAL ships except the Princendam and have done 5 maiden voyages. For 99-00 we were on the Statendam in Hawaii in one of the last time zones in the world to go from 1999 to 2000.

We have lots in common. We also sailed all HAL ships (most many times) with exception of Prinsendam. DH was still practicing up until he passed away this last year so he did not have time for hugely long cruises.

We were on Rotterdam, b-to-b, for Christmas and Millenium New Years. It was Fantastic and we had the most wonderful time.

You have great travel ahead. Enjoy the rest of this cruise and a many, many more. :) Hope to meet you both aboard one day. :)

I agree. Whenever there is a large group of people, there will be tragic, terrible "stuff". At my last place of employment there were about 3,000 employees. Whatever goes on in society also goes on in a workplace that size -- births, deaths, illness, marriage, divorce, murder, suicide -- all of it.

Sincere condolences to the family or families of these passengers.

Good point. Just like in the real world, things happen on cruise ships.

My heart goes out to the families of the passengers.

Good point. Just like in the real world, things happen on cruise ships.

My heart goes out to the families of the passengers.

Yes, both the good and the bad happen on cruise ships. It is a microcosm of the "real world", as you say.

This is a tragedy, regardless of where it happened :( So sad for the people left behind.

Sail, speaking of the Rotterdam we were on her for the Trans Atlantic in Sept. 04 when she had the problems with Hurricane Karl. But there were so many passengers on board from Florida and after the hurricane season we had that year we knew how to clean working side by side with the crew to clean up, the ship. I was one of them. We were back on her for Christmas and New Years that year and had all kinds of problems. As a result because one of them got personal with us we just don't cruise on the Rotterdam any more after that. We leave Castries in just over a hour.

I remember when Rotterdam was caught in the storm. I seem to think she lost her tender dock and didn't the bridge glass shatter? Sorry you had an unhappy episode with a crew person.

Sail safely and enjoy the rest of your cruise. :) Ryndam is a very special ship. It is good most have been able to put the unhappy incident aboard aside and get on with their cruise. One can only hope the couple has found peace.

Edited by sail7seas

RJbean...... Nice how you put your Platinum Medallion Pin as your avatar. I admired it yesterday and again today. :) If it weren't I'd be copying you, I would do the same.

Hope the rest of your cruise is 'event free' and you enjoy.

Yes, a very nice avatar! RJbean, my compliments for taking the time and consideration in your choice of avatar. Cheers, Salacia

Yes, both the good and the bad happen on cruise ships. It is a microcosm of the "real world", as you say.

This is a tragedy, regardless of where it happened :( So sad for the people left behind.

Thank you for attempting to bring this thread back to the topic.

It was carried in the Tampa paper, but I did not see it in the St. Pete Times (Tampa Bay Times), and nothing was mentioned on the evening news Friday night. Enjoy St. Lucia!

The story was reported on the local Tampa TV, Fox 13, Friday morning. The reporter pronounced the Ryndam, the Reendam.

In an unrelated story, we just came back on the Maasdam, 3/27/15, 14 day Caribbean. On our way back to Ft Lauderdale, a gentleman apparently dead in his sleep and was discovered by the Cabin Steward the next day.

When we arrived at Port Everglades the Broward County Crime Investigation Unit was at the Port but did not delay disembarkation.

Not sure why the ages make a difference...

I don't think it was that the ages made a difference, it started with someone taking issue with the idea of 57 being "elderly" (which I didn't appreciate either) :o Then, that led to the common problem we have in international cyberspace with multiple translations of the same phrase.... that caused confusion and naturally confusion causes more discussion. Unfortunately some people took the discussion the wrong way.

For those of you having a problem with the natural evolution of conversation, remember the internet is still occupied by human beings talking, just like in real life, and that sometimes causes the discussion to flow in different directions. We don't have the option of sending a private message on this website, so the only other choice is to post a line like "hey so-and-so, meet me in the Floataway Lounge because I have something to ask you" ..... isn't that even more tasteless?

Just trying to get caught up on Cruise Critic and, I have to say, it's really annoying to open a thread, expecting to read about the murder/suicide on the Ryndam and see how far the thread has drifted.

Some of us don't have time to sift through...I wish folks would strive to keep thread "on topic".

That's all. :p

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the FBI to release the official cause of death? Right now it is alleged to be a murder - suicide incident, but this has not been confirmed by the FBI.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the FBI to release the official cause of death? Right now it is alleged to be a murder - suicide incident, but this has not been confirmed by the FBI.

I was wondering the same thing. I guess it must take time. There should be background checks. Maybe they check backgrounds of all on board the ship. Don't know what the FBI does, but they are doing it.