options for GTY when everything is sold out

My husband and I are sailing on a TA in October. We booked a AQ GTY for a great price. Currently all AQ and suites are sold out.

I know they can't down grade me but I'm curious how they deal with the GTY cabins. It's the 1st time we've booked a GTY.

I know there will be cancellations as we get closer to final payment but I think they might have sold a few of the AQ guarantees since the price was so good.

Does anyone have any experience with X overselling cabins?

Thanks for the info.

We upgraded to Royal suite gty that was less than rate for celebrity suite from our sky 45 days out. All of the royals had been booked and paid for. We ended up in Penthouse. Thought they might offer it to a Royal and move them up, but they didn't. TA thought I was crazy for jumping for this. Would have been very happy with Royal for what paid,but penthouse was a once in a life time for us. This is not past final payment so not sure why they are doing it.

What ship are you looking at? I find it very hard to believe there would be a sellout this far in advance. If nothing in your guarantee comes available, which is highly unlikely, you'd be moved up, probably to a Sky Suite.

Silhoutte oct 31, Aqu and Suites are sold out

It is the Silhouette on 10/31.

It is a very popular cruise. I think the suites have been sold out for a while.

I didn't think about them holding cabins, but that would make sense. They have to have a plan. I just don't want to get into a situation like with the airlines where they start offering some cruise credit if your willing to downgrade or postpone. I guess someone might be willing to do that.

Thanks for the opinions. Appreciate it.

It is the Silhouette on 10/31.

It is a very popular cruise. I think the suites have been sold out for a while.

I didn't think about them holding cabins, but that would make sense. They have to have a plan. I just don't want to get into a situation like with the airlines where they start offering some cruise credit if your willing to downgrade or postpone. I guess someone might be willing to do that.

Thanks for the opinions. Appreciate it.

On another cruise line, we received a call about 2 weeks away from departure asking if we would like to travel the week earlier or either of the two weeks after our scheduled cruise. We were offered same pricing and a good size OBC.

For us, it was not possible, school break trip and I'm a teacher, air tickets purchased, but I'm sure there would be some retired folks who were driving to port and would have gladly jumped on the offer.

I have no idea if other cruise lines do this too.

I have never read on these boards (and I have been a member for many years) of anyone getting 'bumped' off a ship due to overbooking. I would not worry about it at all. There are always last minute cancellations, and unbooked cabins from travel agents that come available. If I were you I would save my finger crossing for hoping for an upgrade, as opposed to worrying about not getting on the sailing:)

Your cruise is many months away, and way before final payment. I gather that there are some travel agents that are holding cabins (on deposit) and will release them just prior to final payment time.

And at that time Celebrity will assign you a cabin, if it doesn't do it prior.

We've learned from our own experience, that the "sold out" category opens up right after final payment.

We've been watching our upcoming Summit cruise to Canada. For a while only verandas insides were available. Now, 5 months from sailing there are suites, CC's and balconies available. It is unlikely you will be bumped from your cruise.

We did just meet 2 cruisers sailing on another line who were offered incentives to rebook because their cruise was oversold. Luckily it worked for them because of personal issues that might have caused one traveler to cancel. This was very last minute, less than 3 weeks before sailing. They will cruise next year with reduced fees, air, etc.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU