Star april 12th sailing cancelled

kjquilts

Here is the email folks received regarding the cancelled trip:

Dear Valued Guests & Travel Partners:

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Star's 15-Day Panama Canal sailing from Los Angeles scheduled to depart on April 12, 2015. Travel partners are asked to forward this information to their guests.Because of a technical issue with Norwegian Star's ABB-manufactured azipod propulsion system this sailing has been cancelled. The ship will be out of service from April 12 to 26 to repair the azipod. Norwegian Cruise Line sincerely apologizes for any inconvenience caused by this cancellation and would like to thank you for your understanding.

All guests who are currently booked will receive a full refund of the cruise, as well as a 50% future cruise credit. Norwegian will also cover air and hotel change fees associated with this cancellation. A dedicated support line is available to provide assistance with questions and arrangements. Please call (877) 461-1160 from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm ET Monday through Friday. We thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line and we look forward to welcoming you and your guests aboard on a future cruise.

Sincerely,

Vivian Ewart

Vice President

Passenger Services

I wonder how they are handling the folks that booked all the way to Barcelona? Will NCL get them to Miami to catch that portion of the cruise? Will they only take care of those with travel insurance? What an unfortunate nightmare for all those involved. Guess the AXIPOD fixed in Portland during dry dock did not work. It sure seems like the STAR has a history of problems with AZIPOD.

Edited by calex

I had a friend on this sailing. She's devastated. I understand things happen and I have to say the compensation being offered is really fair. It doesn't help with having the time off planned for most but hopefully they'll be able to re-work it somehow. I wonder what the heck didn't get fixed in the dry dock right? :cool:

Oh wow. That is a bummer. I would be crushed if my cruise was cancelled. Just knowing the planning, anticipation, and even the checking out of work early in advance of a cruise - LOL Seriously, this sucks for those who were on this sailing. The compensation sounds pretty fair though.

Well, I was booked on this cruise. Refunding my money for a cruise I did not take and offering 50% off another cruise. They are not offering airline and hotel refunds, just the change fee associated with it. Since my airfare was booked months ago, the difference in airfare is quite steep. They are not offering to pay for that, just the change fee. It will cost me $2000 more in airfare and scrambling at the last minute to find another cruise on such short notice. Not happy.

If it's mechanical....it can break! I know it's a disappointment, but NCL appears to have been very fair with making it as painless as possible.

I'm just wondering whether it was an installation error by the dock yard since the ship literally just left dry dock! To fix an azipod, the ship needs a week and then she'll have to gun it through the Panama Canal to Miami to do the rest of her repositioning cruise to the Baltics.

Well, I was booked on this cruise. Refunding my money for a cruise I did not take and offering 50% off another cruise. They are not offering airline and hotel refunds, just the change fee associated with it. Since my airfare was booked months ago, the difference in airfare is quite steep. They are not offering to pay for that, just the change fee. It will cost me $2000 more in airfare and scrambling at the last minute to find another cruise on such short notice. Not happy.

I've got to say I would be unhappy too. Hope it works out for you.

my girlfriend and I were set to go on this cruise (my second cruise, her first). So totally bummed...questions about the 50% off a future cruise...

1) Is it 50% off the brochure price (which is really nothing at all because everything is 50-80% less than brochure).

2) If it's not 50% off the brochure price can we really milk the 50% off for say a 90 day world cruise?

my girlfriend and I were set to go on this cruise (my second cruise, her first). So totally bummed...questions about the 50% off a future cruise...

1) Is it 50% off the brochure price (which is really nothing at all because everything is 50-80% less than brochure).

2) If it's not 50% off the brochure price can we really milk the 50% off for say a 90 day world cruise?

If you're looking at a 90 day world cruise, you may want to consider a real cruise line company.

Feel bad for the passengers. As far as NCL is concerned....karma!

I'm sure the "shirt & tie" people had already totaled up all the extra money they would have brought in from the Room Service fees, 18% specialty tips, $.95 extra DSC, etc.

Instant karma...yeah, and more to come.

That 50% off based on the price you paid for this cruise to apply to a different cruise in a very short time frame. For example if you each paid $1200 per person for this cruise, not incl taxes & port fees, then you will each have a $600 credit to apply to a future cruise. So you won't get 50% off some future cruise that may be $3000 per person, just the $600 each to apply against it.

Hope this makes sense!

My friends that were traveling with us just got off the phone with NCL. NCL changed their reservation to start their cruise in Miami and they are getting 50% of the Panama Canal cruise only part credited to their account. They have to get themselves to Miami to pick up the rest of their cruise. So, she just purchased airfare for 2 one ways and 1 night hotel room in Miami. Hopefully, the ship will be fixed by then.

Wow, I sure hope the quadruple check it before heading off on the TA. :eek: So not funny. We're booked on a Baltics cruise later this summer and have thought about backup options. Sorry for everyone on the cancelled cruise. Will the ship now be out of place?

I posted this on the 4/12 Roll Call, but wanted to post here too:

So sorry to hear of your cancelled cruise....

I have had one NCL cruise cancelled on me due to dry dock and I know how devastating it is.

I want to give you a tip that helped me when I talked to the Special Services desk...

If you had any OBC or promotions for this cruise make sure you get them

"protected" (NCL's word, not mine) so you will be able to apply them to the next cruise you book. Make sure you get it in writing via an email!

ALWAYS take note of the person you talked to and what they promise you so you have documentation. Also, while you are going to be very frustrated, be as nice as you can under the circumstances.

It took me several phone calls and emails to get all of my ammenities transferred over to my new cruise, but it was worth it.

Hope all goes well for you all.

Will the ship now be out of place?

Depends on where they dry dock it again. If it happens in or around the LA area, doubt it will be out of position for the TA, which isn't until 4/27. Plenty of time to dry dock the ship, make repairs, and haul ass to Miami for the TA departure.

Well you could cancel the hotel. I hope you didn't prepay it in order to save $20 btw

They are offering change fees for airlines so doesn't the increased airfare qualify as a change fee?

Just think clearly when you call ncl

Also travel insurance should cover everything as ncl is not on the insurance " bad boy " list as they are not in bankruptcy etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Feel bad for the passengers. As far as NCL is concerned....karma!

For once I agree with you!!! Karma for NCL (good Karma). This could have happened in the middle of the Canal transit or mid ocean on the trans Atlantic. Instead it occurred at a time and place that NCL could safely and easily fix it. The result of accruing good Karma!!