best sunscreen??

landerson1004

If you are going to be in the water, hands down Bullfrog is the best. I worked with a pharmacist who is a scuba diver and he is the one that told me about it. My daughter is a very fair skinned redhead and she didn't burn at all on our cruise or in Puerto Rico this year and we only applied a couple times a day.

Bullfrog sport spray, SPF 50, is great. Goes on easily with no greasy feeling and is really waterproof - aside from being generally long-lasting. As I tend to burn easily and have had a few melanomas my dermatologist feels it is the best - I use it year round on face and (thinning) scalp. Their Mosquito Coast (just SPF 30. so it needs re-applying if out for a long time) is good if spending the day on a Caribbean island - effective repellant helps.

There is no "best"...and cost has nothing to do with effectiveness!

The SPF number is what you look at...up to 30 SPF is about all you need...after that, you are paying for very little gain in protection. It should be applied 30 mins. BEFORE you get in the sun! I see most folks applying it AFTER they get to the pool or beach! Put it on when you put your swimsuit on!

An adult needs 1 oz (a shot glass full) every 2 hours. Waterproof only means water won't wash it off....it is NOT "towel proof!" If you dry off, you need to reapply!

What sunscreens are your favorite to use while cruising? I hate hate HATE that greasy sunscreen feeling!! I've heard great things about Bull Frog, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch, and Ocean Potion...and I'm open to other suggestions!

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch, and Ocean Potion. - These are the 2 we use the most. While I love the convenience of the spray, I hate breathing it in. It can not be good for your lungs. So my DF uses mostly the spray and I use mostly creams.

My only wish is that Coppertone would come out with the original scent again. The smell of my youth. :)

What sunscreens are your favorite to use while cruising? I hate hate HATE that greasy sunscreen feeling!! I've heard great things about Bull Frog, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch, and Ocean Potion...and I'm open to other suggestions!

Another vote for the No-Ad (WalMart) brand.

And, I agree with the greasy, yucky, feeling. Way back in the day (when I was young) there was a sunblock (yes it was called sunblock back then) there was a Coppertone product call Sea & Ski. It was alcohol-based (clear liquid). I loved it. It went on easily and really soaked into the skin.

I am a fair skinned redhead who had avoided the sun as much as possible because I hated the feel of sunscreen on my skin. I had sun damaged spots of skin removed years ago. Then my dermatologist told me Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch sunscreen. I bought some and for the first time in my life I could use sunscreen and not have the greasy sunscreen feeling! I am very happy using it.

As long as ita UVA/UVB , waterproof, for sensitive skin and 50+ I am good with any brand. Nivea seems to soak in the best compared to anything else although not sure if it is available in the US.

There was an article in our paper recently saying that some people miss more spots with sunscreen sprays than lotions so advised lotions as still being the best in the protection against skin damage and worse.

I would rather have full coverage than worry about the stickiness.

Edited by Velvetwater

Another vote for the No-Ad (WalMart) brand.

And, I agree with the greasy, yucky, feeling. Way back in the day (when I was young) there was a sunblock (yes it was called sunblock back then) there was a Coppertone product call Sea & Ski. It was alcohol-based (clear liquid). I loved it. It went on easily and really soaked into the skin.

I was wrong, the product was called "Block Out". Wish it was still being made.

Edited by Shmoo here

The best sunblock is anything that does NOT contain oxybenzone and retinyl palmitate . These are chemicals in our US sunblocks that can have very harmful effects after a lot of use. Many countries have already banned the use of these chemicals in their sunblocks.

It is amazing how many folks still do not have enough information on sunblock & fully understand how to apply, WHEN to apply, how often to apply, the SPF factor & what they should actually be using. Most of the common sunblocks are not good for us because they contain the above chemicals.

Very good article I read a couple of years ago, but it's still great info to have on sunblock:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/16/health/sunscreen-report/

I have to say that no matter which is best in theory, if it feels icky on I know I won't use it so it will provide me no protection!! I like the neutrogena ultra sheer and the aveeno one is fine too. Even within the neutrogena ultra sheer line the higher SPF ones are thicker and gooier so I try to find the 30 or the 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really like the sprays because of the smell, and if it's windy, a lot of it misses you. The big kicker in getting me to stop using sprays is when I got some spray on my name tag at work, and it smeared the ink and the finish of the name tag rubbed off. Had to get a new one.

I am a huge fan of Neutrogena products, any of them, so I use Neutrogena with helioplex, which a dermatologist recommended to me. I go for more than 30, usually 55-70 SPF. And yes, apply before you get in the sun, and often.

Neutrogena is great if you have sensitive skin like me, and have issues with fragrances.

My favorites are:

Caribbean Sol when swimming and snorkeling in the ocean with reef and fish since this product is one of those that are considered safer to the environment.

I'll use Caribbean Sol at other times as well, but most often save that for when I'm going to be swimming since I have to order it over the internet.

Aveeno is what I use day-to-day and when doing land excursions while on trips.

Neutrogena ultra sheer. I am a fair skinned redhead who usually burns but this worked great and it applies without stickiness. Used it exclusively in the South Pacific with days of full sun. No burn whatsoever. I'm a convert to this sun screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

I'm not too concerned with brand, as long as it isn't a spray. We bought the spray for our first cruise and had to buy a thing of lotion on our second port because I was still getting burned. We just couldn't seem to get full coverage using the spray.

how much sunscreen does everyone take? I've looked into the more expensive brands you guys listed on this forum, and a lot of the bottles are 3-5 oz. For an 8 day cruise, and using the recommended 1 oz per application rule, that means I'd need about 10-14 bottles for 2 people. Does that seem excessive to anyone else? haha