Free drinks offer

Lanky Lad

I have booked on Queen Elizabeth in December and got the free drinks offer. On reading the details is looks like a great deal. The big question is, will it be as good as it sounds?

Offer is all drinks up to $9.00 free for Britannia grade and up to $12.00 for Grills.

Edited by Lanky Lad

It sounds like a good deal to me. I am taking a cruise to Alaska next month on Holland America. We were offered a free drinks package and the limit per drink is an absurd $7.00. That is satisfactory for a basic G&T but as for wine that limits us to the cheapest plonk. Even though we have booked a Queen's Grill size stateroom (which, by the way, lacks most of the benefits that Cunard provides) there is no increase in the per drink limit.

I have booked on Queen Elizabeth in December and got the free drinks offer. On reading the details is looks like a great deal. The big question is, will it be as good as it sounds?

Offer is all drinks up to $9.00 free for Britannia grade and up to $12.00 for Grills.

Wish I got the offer (what with being on the same cruise). Alas, being in Australia we rarely get offers or deals.

Is this offer inclusive, or exclusive, of the additional 15% service charge?

Copy paste of T and C source; UK website

M-AR

Inclusive Drinks

Terms & conditions

The inclusive drinks promotion applies to all drinks purchased onboard during the cruise that are priced up to $9 each for those booked in Britannia Staterooms, or $12 each for those booked in Grills Suites. The promotion applies to new bookings made by 30 April 2015 on the Cunard Fare. Valid on selected cruises departing May 2015 – January 2016. Drinks under this promotion can be purchased and consumed free of charge by the participant only (drinks may not be purchased for other people who are not on the promotion). Guests under 18 years of age may only purchase non-alcoholic drinks on this promotion. It is not possible to pay the difference for drinks purchased over the price threshold shown above - the full cost of such drinks will be chargeable. The standard 15% service charge levied against all bar orders will be included under this promotion for all drinks ordered under the price threshold. For drinks purchased over the price threshold, the 15% service charge will apply as standard. Drinks ordered on this promotion will be signed for in the normal way with the cost of the drinks appearing on the sales receipt - the cost is credited back to the folio on a nightly basis. This promotion does not apply to drinks ordered as room service (except Princess and Queens Grill), bottles of wine or drinks packages. See cunard.co.uk for more information. Cunard operates a Responsible Service of Alcohol Policy. Offer applies to the first two passengers sharing a stateroom.

It sounds like a good deal to me. I am taking a cruise to Alaska next month on Holland America. We were offered a free drinks package and the limit per drink is an absurd $7.00. That is satisfactory for a basic G&T but as for wine that limits us to the cheapest plonk. Even though we have booked a Queen's Grill size stateroom (which, by the way, lacks most of the benefits that Cunard provides) there is no increase in the per drink limit.

We had the beverage card promo on HAL. IIRC, the $7 cap gets you most any cocktail, except for some top-shelf items. And it covers the specialty coffees. But you are absolutely right about the wine. You can't "convert" any of your free drinks into a bottle of wine. I would never pay for the drinks card, but free it was an OK perk.

I don't know all the rules for Cunard's free promo. But a look at the bar list shows a lot of drinks under $9, including a few wines by the glass "beyond" their house red and house white.

One convenient use of a beverage package is getting a bottle of water to take ashore on a hot day. Of course, for Lanky Lad's December cruise, that might not matter if it isn't a warm destination.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I don't see why it shouldn't be as long as the price is right and you don't want too many over the $9/$12 limit.

I'd need to check the bar list to see how much my favourites are.

As I am in a Britannia cabin I can't have a Cosmo or Ginger Cosmo but there is plenty of choice under the $9.00 limit. Sorry to rib it in for anyone who can't get the offer.

We usually have enough OBC to cover all of our expenses, including gratuities and drinks, but if I ever get offered either of them for free, I will be on it in a heartbeat.

I could always use the excess for massages. :D

As I am in a Britannia cabin I can't have a Cosmo or Ginger Cosmo but there is plenty of choice under the $9.00 limit. Sorry to rib it in for anyone who can't get the offer.

No worries, Lanky Lad. Nice of you to share news your of good fortune. :)Cheers, -S.

P.S. What is a Ginger Cosmo?

I am assuming this offer is only available in the UK as I see no reference to it on Cunard's US site?:(

The offer is for the UK on some cruises (not all) when you pay the Cunard Fare, i.e. the full price.

• 1 month later...
No worries, Lanky Lad. Nice of you to share news your of good fortune. :)Cheers, -S.

P.S. What is a Ginger Cosmo?

It's like a normal Cosmo but with the addition of grated ginger :) They are lovely.

Has anyone used the drinks package yet?

I know you can't buy drinks for those not on the deal, but does this mean each person have to buy their own drink each time? No bit issue but would be interesting to know.

• 2 months later...

Have this package on our next cruise. Cunard have told me that the $9 dollars has to include the 15% gratuity which means that the most expensive drink possible to have is roughly $7.50 . Am sure that many people will not be aware of that. In fact if I want a gin and tonic I have to order the tonic water and then a gin. If I order gin and tonic it will take me over the $9.

Will be interesting to hear reports from people when they first use this offer.j

We didn't get offered this on our QM2 Dec cruise either? Is it part of the add on packages you can buy? We paid full price also, altho supposed to have the 'ultimate upgrade' package but this was sold out, so not sure why it was still being advertised on our cruise.

Love a ginger cosmo also.

On one voyage we had the soda package and we were only allowed drinks from the guns so i am sure they exist. On our QM2 Voyage in April G&T was $7.60 on our nightly visit to the Commodore club. Spirits are nearly double a British pub measure and mixers are included.