Cheaper excursions for St. Pete?

dana r.

If we're comparing apples to apples, then you can't compare a private guide vs sharing a van with 16 other passengers. Of course, a private guide will be more expensive.

And, everything is expensive in Scandanavia so its not surprising a tour in Scandavia would be expensive.

And, we shouldn't be comparing this price to a cruise excursion because cruise excursions are always 2-3X more expensive regardless of the cruise or port.

Instead, we should look at another tour caravan with 16 people in another country with the same exchange rate to the US dollar and the same average salary as Russia to get an idea of whether or not these St. Pete excursions are a bargain or not.

You are traveling in Russia. The prices are fixed. So the next thing to look at is satisfaction rate. There are no bargains.

There are cheaper visa-waived tour options, available from around $40 US for walking tours.

I have been censored from giving you a link to them, despite me having no connection to these new operators. They recognise the 50% devaluation of the rouble against the dollar in the last year - caused by the oil price crash and Crimea-rooted sanctions - and have priced their tours accordingly.

Almost all of the big firms are still charging the same dollar rates as last year, meaning they get "double bubble", as we sometimes say here in Merrie Englande.

We have booked a two-day tour in a private van, plus an evening excursion to the ballet (Swan Lake), and a pub crawl afterwards for $200 each including tickets, but not meals. Party of seven.

This is a special deal we got because someone knows someone else, but I understand this is the price the cruise lines pay to the big firms and they then add their mark-up.

So, shop around!

Bollinge

I think the problem is you cant recommend a tour you haven't been on yet which is probably why you were "censored"

you can post about the company you used after your trip as long as you don't start a new thread to do so[ie you need to respond to a query on order to stay within board rules]

I'm still waiting to hear which tour company this person is using for $200. I have asked several times with no success. You have mentioned this several times but still no one knows who you are touring with?

And, since it is a 'special deal' from a friend who knows a friend, why bring it up at all, since no one else can get that deal? :eek::eek::eek:

Cheers

Len

I have been censored from giving you a link to them, despite me having no connection to these new operators. They recognise the 50% devaluation of the rouble against the dollar in the last year - caused by the oil price crash and Crimea-rooted sanctions - and have priced their tours accordingly.

Almost all of the big firms are still charging the same dollar rates as last year, meaning they get "double bubble", as we sometimes say here in Merrie Englande.

We have booked a two-day tour in a private van, plus an evening excursion to the ballet (Swan Lake), and a pub crawl afterwards for $200 each including tickets, but not meals. Party of seven.

This is a special deal we got because someone knows someone else, but I understand this is the price the cruise lines pay to the big firms and they then add their mark-up.

If you can't name the tour company, could you please explain the thought process as to why you picked that tour company?

Were you simply looking at who could offer the lowest price? When evaluating tour new companies, how did you balance the price vs. the lack of reputation and reviews?

I was researching these tours and was looking for a company that charged in roubles so that we could take advantage of the devaluation against the dollar rather than the tour firm.

Everyone wanted to charge in dollars, and who could blame them?

I contacted an American guy living in St Petersburg through TripAdvisor, and he recommended some smaller and newer tour companies offering good prices and I would probably have booked through them.

However, in the meantime, one of our group who is in the cruise business met a Russian contact by chance at a cruise ship convention in Miami, who offered us the price I quote.

The rate is what is known as "bulk rate", or what we call trade price, which I believe is what the cruise lines pay them. If I had made the booking I would tell you straight away the name of the firm, but as it was made by a friend I don't want to betray a confidence. It is obviously a special price, but I have noticed that some operators' prices are dropping, including one which offers a walking tour from $40 per person. I did post the link to that firm on here but it was deleted as inappropriate.

We have paid up-front by bank transfer. I see on their website "our" tour agency have "serviced over 3,700,000 customers, over the past 20 years", and they have a 5* rating on Tripadvisor.

Edited by Bollinge

Yes, there are many licensed tour companies in Russia. That is agreed. But when dealing with Cruiseships it is an entirely different ballgame, i.e. getting back to the ship on time. BTW, when dealing with TA you need to ask yourself, who is responding? Is it the owner of one of small agencies? Cruise Critic posters who have used the tours and hotels recommended are who I trust. jmo

Russia is a foreign country, as are about 220 others....I have only been to some of them, maybe half.

St Petersburg is a first-world European country with the same communications as St. Petersburg, FLA, except that the Russians have a tram, public bus and metro infrastructure.

If you want complete peace of mind, go on the ship's excursion, paying top-dollar.

If you want to save money, contact people on here or TripAdvisor, who can offer alternatives.

Moreover, the licensed tour agent will email your your tour ticket, which you present to immigration in lieu of your visa, so if you have not paid and they haven't turned up, you are out and about in Mother Russia for free!

But of course they will always be there. Otherwise they won't get paid!

And if your tour is late, the Russian port authorities won't let the ship leave, until they know what's happened to you from your licenced tour guide!

I think this will be my last post on this subject till July when I return from my cruise.

This is Europe. We are vaguely civilised!

Edited by Bollinge

Bollinge

I have nothing against you and I apologize if you feel I am hounding you, but you come here and tell everyone how you got this GREAT price for a private tour, and how others should be doing similar things. But it turns out you won't tell us the name of the company your are touring with and that IS within the rules of CC, and you only got this rate because of some inside dealing which most of us cannot partake of. So what's the point of telling everyone what you paid.

Then you link this post from TA from some one whose posts over there total ONE and sounds pretty similar to what you have been saying here. Now I am not a mathematician, but when I add one and one, they usually make two, if you get my drift.

Basically, I have read everything you have written, understand it very well, but the way I see it, the only reason you are getting a 'cheaper' tour is because you have inside connections, so this entire picture you are painting about tour companies in St Petersburg is really just useless to most travelers.

JMO

Cheers

Len

• 1 month later...

I am planning for My cruise in 2016. I found this tour company during my research. Kseniya has been responding to my inquiries and. She shared that she adjusted her prices this year because of the decline of the ruble. I'm planning on using this company in 2016. But I have no personal experience with them at this point.

http://kjoy.travel/tours/shore-excursions1.html

We were a party of 6 and just returned from a cruise to the Baltics. When researching St P, it occurred to me to use the Tours By Locals site which we had used extensively in the past with great results. We chose Irina K because she had a base price for her services and the driver which was paid in advance to Tours By Locals. For all other costs including museums, palaces lunch etc. she covered in rubles and we did an exchange on the last day paying in USD. It was brilliant and if anyone whould like further info, I would be happy to share.

I have recently seen a side bar ad for Tickets and Tours on this forum. It advertises a 2 day deluxe StP tour for $199. I didn't really look it up to see what is included in this price as we booked with DenRus last Sept. There has been no change in the price of $299 following the decline of the Ruble. We are looking forward to their tour June 6 and 7.

To find a cheaper excursion, you don't need to use a brand new tour company like Tickets and Tours or have special connections like Bollinge.

You can also get a cheaper excursion from the established, highly recommended tour companies if you just ask them.

We were a party of 6 and just returned from a cruise to the Baltics. When researching St P, it occurred to me to use the Tours By Locals site which we had used extensively in the past with great results. We chose Irina K because she had a base price for her services and the driver which was paid in advance to Tours By Locals. For all other costs including museums, palaces lunch etc. she covered in rubles and we did an exchange on the last day paying in USD. It was brilliant and if anyone whould like further info, I would be happy to share.

I would love to know more as we are trying to plan St P for late July...

sent you a frined request--can we mail back and forth that way??

We used SPB and didn't believe the $300 (we paid slightly more because we made our tour private with four couples) . I do think Tours by Locals is a realistic option. Most guides who affiliate themselves with TBL can also get the cruise ship blanket visa for their tours and they would charge admission fees (in rubles) for admissions to sites. The guides are required to be licensed by each museum they visit or provide services to. Most charge by the tour and not by the person. I looked and saw one for $730 for two days for four people. That's about $185 per person. The price does not include entrance fees or any food. A TBL guide put the following in his ad: Entrance fees to Catherine's Palace and the Amber Room, Paul's Palace in Pavlovsk, Peter and Paul's Fortress and Cathedral, inside visits to St. Issac's Cathedral, Saviour on the Spilt Blood and the Hermitage - 55 dollars per person. That doesn't include food or the boat ride (very enjoyable).

At the end of the day, the companies that cater to cruise ship passengers price competitively. For us, the two days were among the best in vacations in our lives. Maybe people are upset that these companies are making more in rubles now because they're charging in USD. When the cost of the vacation is $12 to $15K, I can't get too worked up over plus or minus $50 at the highlight port of the cruise.

We used SPB and didn't believe the $300 (we paid slightly more because we made our tour private with four couples) . I do think Tours by Locals is a realistic option. Most guides who affiliate themselves with TBL can also get the cruise ship blanket visa for their tours and they would charge admission fees (in rubles) for admissions to sites. The guides are required to be licensed by each museum they visit or provide services to. Most charge by the tour and not by the person. I looked and saw one for $730 for two days for four people. That's about $185 per person. The price does not include entrance fees or any food. A TBL guide put the following in his ad: Entrance fees to Catherine's Palace and the Amber Room, Paul's Palace in Pavlovsk, Peter and Paul's Fortress and Cathedral, inside visits to St. Issac's Cathedral, Saviour on the Spilt Blood and the Hermitage - 55 dollars per person. That doesn't include food or the boat ride (very enjoyable).

At the end of the day, the companies that cater to cruise ship passengers price competitively. For us, the two days were among the best in vacations in our lives. Maybe people are upset that these companies are making more in rubles now because they're charging in USD. When the cost of the vacation is $12 to $15K, I can't get too worked up over plus or minus $50 at the highlight port of the cruise.

Very well said. and add to that some people who balk at giving their guides and drivers a decent tip, complaining 10% is way too much.

Cheers

Len

To find a cheaper excursion, you don't need to use a brand new tour company like Tickets and Tours or have special connections like Bollinge.

You can also get a cheaper excursion from the established, highly recommended tour companies if you just ask them.

I think you just need to do a little research to get a cheaper cruise. You need to fix a price in your mind that you don't mind paying (on top of a very expensive cruise) and keep looking until you are happy YOURSELF - not caring what anyone else thinks and chalk it up to experience if it isn't as good as you expect. Even the small companies at the bottom of the Trip Advisor list have great reviews - just not as many as the ones you pay top dollar for.

We need to remember it is OUR holiday and we do it OUR way. We don't need to do what everyone else does.

Very well said. and add to that some people who balk at giving their guides and drivers a decent tip, complaining 10% is way too much.

Cheers

Len

We also need to bear in mind that the US is unusual in it's tipping culture and that it isn't expected as the 'norm' in a lot of Europe. They don't ask for it - they recognise that a lot of travellers are from the US and they are business people at the end of the day - it's totally up to you whether you tip or not - as they all say on their websites.

I think you just need to do a little research to get a cheaper cruise. You need to fix a price in your mind that you don't mind paying (on top of a very expensive cruise) and keep looking until you are happy YOURSELF - not caring what anyone else thinks and chalk it up to experience if it isn't as good as you expect. Even the small companies at the bottom of the Trip Advisor list have great reviews - just not as many as the ones you pay top dollar for.

We need to remember it is OUR holiday and we do it OUR way. We don't need to do what everyone else does.

We also need to bear in mind that the US is unusual in it's tipping culture and that it isn't expected as the 'norm' in a lot of Europe. They don't ask for it - they recognise that a lot of travellers are from the US and they are business people at the end of the day - it's totally up to you whether you tip or not - as they all say on their websites.

I can't argue with you on that. I was more referring to us crazy Americans, who do seem to be 'tip' crazy at times, while some pay $5000 for a cruise and balk at tipping their guide, who does so much for them, a few extra dollars.

I understand Europeans see tipping in a different way and that's fine.

Do you think any tour and guides might cater more to the Americans on a tour knowing they may get a better tip?

Cheers

Len

I have been to St Petersburg several times on cruise ships. The first time I naively accepted the word of the cruise line that the only way to exit the ship and explore St. P. was with one of their expensive cruise excursions. As a lawyer I should have known better. The second time, having done some research, I realized I could contract with a local St. P. travel agency and join one of their tours at a significant savings and even hire a guide and driver and design my own tour. The process requires a bit more effort than checking the box on the cruise ship excursion form as it needs to be done a few weeks before the arrival in St P. It can all be accomplished easily via email. The third cruise (end of May) I found an even better option. Rather than hiring both a guide and driver I hired only a driver at a very reasonable rate.

I sent off emails to ten travel agencies explaining I only needed a driver and basically wanted to just meander around St. P. I received various offers regarding tours and the value of having a guide...but three of the offers were for a driver at an hourly rate. The rates ranged from $20 to $40 per hour plus exit fees imposed by the Port.

I liked what I saw on the website and the communications I received from Kseniya at KJoy travel. The cost would be $ 20 per hour and I could design the time with the driver as I wanted. We arranged start and finish times for both days the ship was in port. First day was 11 am to 11 pm and second was 11 am to 4 pm. A suggestion here. On the visa application (called a blanket visa which the agencies obtain from government) extend your return time by several hours in case you want to linger. Kseniya had suggested this and it turned out to be very helpful. The port authorities want you back no later than the time stated on the visa! You only pay for the actual time used.

Kjoy, and specifically the owner, Kseniya, were a "joy" to work with. I was late getting the visa process started but she made it happen quickly. Her English is excellent (as was the drivers') so very easy to communicate with. The driver was excellent...on time, very knowledgeable about St. Petersburg and how to get around avoiding the traffic jams, bright, educated, witty and literally fun to spend the day with. On the spur of the moment we drove out into the country stopping in local cafes for coffee and meals. He even called his mother for the location of a specific product I wanted to purchase.

So, don't be taken in by the claims of the cruise lines and don't think the process of contracting with a local travel agency is difficult. I highly recommend Kjoy. If you have been to St. P. before I recommend you consider skipping the guide and have Kseniya send you one of her delightful drivers...and you design your own tour!

One more suggestion. Summer of 2014 Cunard was offering a one day bus excursion at a reasonable price somewhat different than their usual bus tours. This one stopped at three locations and was advertised without a guide. Two churches and then the river, Neva. What was unique was there was no guide to accompany the group. The bus driver announced the time for the bus to leave and the passengers wandered off on their own individually. They could visit the site or do anything they wanted during the hour provided. In the afternoon the stop was at a park in the middle of Nevsky Prospekt and three hours to meander on your own down this splendid grand blvd. In essence you take a bus with two stops and then the afternoon in the Nevsky Prospekt shopping area... on your own! Unfortunately Costa, the cruise I was on this May, did not offer this option.

We took SPB's Deluxe 2 day tour to St. Petersburg for $300 per person. I thought it was a great deal. I think there were about 16 people on our bus. For $300 we did not have to get a visa and we had a tour guide and driver. This included admission to all the museums, the subway, the canal tour, the hydrofoil, two lunches complete with a shot of vodka, and so much more.

I know the Ruble has dropped, but this was still a great deal.

We took SPB's Deluxe 2 day tour to St. Petersburg for $300 per person. I thought it was a great deal. I think there were about 16 people on our bus. For $300 we did not have to get a visa and we had a tour guide and driver. This included admission to all the museums, the subway, the canal tour, the hydrofoil, two lunches complete with a shot of vodka, and so much more.

I know the Ruble has dropped, but this was still a great deal.

We're doing the SPB's 2 Day Russian Treasures which includes the Faberge Museum for $250. All the popular sights as well.

We are just off the May 30 brilliance Baltic cruise. We did the 4 city tour with Ulko Tours which included the two day intensive tour of St Petersburg. The cost was $ 500 pp. we thought that the quality of the tours were exceptional. In Tallinn we had 6 people on our tour, in Helsinki there were 10 of us, and only 6 in Stockholm. Our guides in all the cities were great. In st Petersburg Ulko tours handled all the visa paperwork which made going through customs easy. Our tours there were outstanding - we saw so much compared to others we spoke with on the ship. I would highly recommend them.

• 3 weeks later...
Looking at the different excursions for St. Pete, they all sound alike where they go to the same spots and they all cost the same price, $300.

But, with the slide of the ruble vs the dollar, these same excursions should be signifigantly cheaper for the US traveller to Russia, but none of the tours reflect that.

Are there any tour companies that charge for these excursions in rubles or are charging less money than $300 to see the same sights?

Have posted on 2 different threads today and relevant to your enquiry

See http://*******/1HvudzE

and http://*******/1LS1u5U