One Person Holding Place In Line For A Group....Is It Ever Okay?

JCrewz

I'm not telling anyone what to do but I'd have a low opinion of someone who 'held the place' for more than just their spouse, partner or friend. To have a whole group cut into the line couldn't be more rude. Go for it if you wouldn't mind someone doing that to you..... be honest with yourself. ;)
I think it depends on what culture you are from. I hate it when someone from a tour group holds the space for half the group.

Some places demand everyone show up before they are seated. They abuse that rule.

I've also seen everyone is in one line... a large group shows up and starts a second line in the opposite direction to create mass confusion.

The problem w buffet lines is that you get people who spend 5 minutes deciding if they want peas or green beans. If else they spend 10 minutes deciding exactly what or how much of each thing they want on their salad.

I'm from Vegas and we do not tolerate buffet line laggards.

DON

The problem w buffet lines is that you get people who spend 5 minutes deciding if they want peas or green beans. If else they spend 10 minutes deciding exactly what or how much of each thing they want on their salad.

I'm from Vegas and we do not tolerate buffet line laggards.

DON

I find the problem in the Lido is that sometimes the line for one station will run into the line for another and there is no real way of knowing where one line ends and the next begins. Why should I stand in line for the salads and main dishes if all I want is a piece of garlic bread from the pasta station?

Likewise, if I'm having the server fresh cook me an egg at breakfast, why should others who only want potatoes or bacon have to wait for me?

I was in line once and a person a few places ahead of me was "holding a space" for about 8 other people. When the 8 extras got in line, there was some grumbling. The space holder loudly announced that, "these people are with me."

More grumbling.

Then, out of the blue, the person in front of the space holder declared, "See all of those people behind you? They're with me. Please move your party behind them."

It worked.

Good for that person to speak up.

Slightly off topic, but if you've ever been to Disneyworld in late January, you'll encounter tour groups by the dozens. I thought my husband would get thrown out of the park because he didn't tolerate the line cutters. One person (an adult) would run to a ride and hold the place while his group (of 8 or 10 or 15) would be "in the bathroom" and rejoin them. This was very common and seemingly just tolerated by the Disney staff. I believe you ought to familiarize yourself with the customs and manners of the country you're visiting and at least try to blend in. That's my rant for today. :o

Edited by sprockie

Just another comment....My DH and I never stand in the same line. We split up and get each other food from other stations. I don't feel groups or even family's (except with small children) need to stand together in a line. And I agree about the people who stand in the line forever making up their mind. I just say excuse me, I need to get around you and then I go.

If someone is using the washroom, they are clearly doing something else and not getting their food. They are not ready to get their food. Why should every one else in the line be forced to wait longer because someone else is in the washroom?

That is what happens when you hold the line for someone. You decide that the person you are letting in does not need to wait while everyone else in the line just needs to continue waiting even longer. It is not okay to hold a spot for your spouse or travelling partner as the outcome is the same and for those who do it, it is, IMO, rude.

When I was on a land holiday in Spain a few years ago, I came up against the same "One person near the front of the line gets joined by 10 or 12 others" attitude more than once.

The worst time it happened was when we were at a hotel that was up on a steep hill and a free shuttle was run between the town and the hotel. There was always one group or another that had someone near the frount of the queue and then after all the joiners were on the bus, there were no seats for anyone else and you were all jammed together.

One day I saw someone that I knew at the front of the line and went and spoke with them, as the bus came up I let them on and then blocked the entrance door and yelled "All English to the front" and then let them on first.

After that we did not get any more pushing in.

Edited by TTFromSommersTown

In my opinion I say "Don't sweat the small stuff". Yes I have had a few incidents, but I will not make a scene. I am on vacation and life goes on, and I am the type of person that knows someone else in line always says something! :)

Enjoy your cruise!

I was in line once and a person a few places ahead of me was "holding a space" for about 8 other people. When the 8 extras got in line, there was some grumbling. The space holder loudly announced that, "these people are with me."

More grumbling.

Then, out of the blue, the person in front of the space holder declared, "See all of those people behind you? They're with me. Please move your party behind them."

It worked.

Funny.

What happened.

It is rude. Even if it is just for a spouse.

O.K., now I am feeling guilty. Aboard the Panama ferry, my husband and I found seats in the bow of the ferry. I sat down, and he got up briefly to talk to someone a couple of feet away. A woman came by and wanted to know if the seat was available, and I told her, no, my husband would return to use it. Was that being inconsiderate or rude?

If you don't like it then you should speak up. They do it because nobody says anything.

My real advice is to avoid the problem in the first place. Don't cruise on ships with 4000+ passengers, don't go to the buffet at peak times. Sounds to me that you would enjoy the older HAL ships with fewer than 1500 passengers and very short buffet lines.

igraf

Most of us have probably been in this situation.....you are in a long buffet line, a long port disembarkation line or any other cruise ship line when, suddenly, several people join a person somewhere ahead of you in the line. I have never had a problem with a spouse or one other person joining the line holder....but have always thought it was rude for a group to jump the line even if they have designated a person for the sole purpose of holding their place.

You see less of this on HAL than you do with youngsters on lines like Carnival (We have sailed the Caribbean four times on Carnival), but you still see it. The "cutters" often seem like nice folks and are absolutely unconcerned that they have advanced past many of the people who have been waiting in the line....they do not see themselves in any way as offenders.

The "Lido Deck Buffet Etiquette" discussion was insightful and I wonder how the experienced cruisers of Cruise Critic view the practice. If a majority posts that this is no big deal or to be encouraged, I will adjust my attitude on the topic. If it is an infraction, any suggestions for politely handling the issue? Is it a problem with no adequate remedy? Is it always best to avoid a potential scene by refraining from asking the line breakers to go to the back of the line?

I am looking forward to getting the benefit of your thoughts.

Edited by igraf

One person? I can ignore that. A person with mobility restrictions? Fine by me.

A gaggle of friends and family? No--the proper course is for the gaggle to join the back of the line, and the single person to move back and join them there.

How do I respond to it? I respond in typical Canadian fashion: I say, "tut, tut," under my breath, and vaporise them with my eye lasers. Then I get on with life.

I agree it's rude! Not ok even if it's a spouse.
Often DW and I will join a line together, and if the line is moving very slowly she will need to go sit down for a while. Everyone nearby understands this, and it is not rude.
... and wanted to know if the seat was available, and I told her, no, my husband would return to use it. Was that being inconsiderate or rude?
No. That seat was taken, just not occupied at the moment. That is why the woman asked.

Edited by jtl513

O.K., now I am feeling guilty. Aboard the Panama ferry, my husband and I found seats in the bow of the ferry. I sat down, and he got up briefly to talk to someone a couple of feet away. A woman came by and wanted to know if the seat was available, and I told her, no, my husband would return to use it. Was that being inconsiderate or rude?

Not inconsiderate or rude! I probably would have pointed to my Husband & said "I'm sorry, my husband over there is coming back, as he just got up to say hello to Friends"

Often DW and I will join a line together, and if the line is moving very slowly she will need to go sit down for a while. Everyone nearby understands this, and it is not rude.

No. That seat was taken, just not occupied at the moment. That is why the woman asked.

I agree, as I find it difficult to stand for any length of time & it's difficult to carry my cane when I'm trying to get food..

It's like using my Handicapped sticker when driving & parking.. If there is a non-handicapped space close by, I'll park in it only because I know there are others who have more of a problem than I do.. But if there are no other spaces, I'll use the handicapped spot & take my cane.. When I shop, I can lean on the shopping cart, so my cane stays in the cart.. When DH is with me I can take his arm & use it instead of my cane..:)

Has our society become so lacking in manners that we need to ask what is rude and what is not? This is rather shocking that it needs discussion to know what is rude behavior. :eek: Sad for all of us.

More grumbling.

It worked.

Good one!

I agree that if a person has difficulty standing for long periods, it is acceptable to hold a space for that one person. My DH and I either went on the line together or went through separately. We never held a space, unless we both were in line together already and one stepped away momentarily.

When by myself, if someone just ahead allows several people into the line, I have been known to step around the group and quietly say, "I'm sure you won't mind." Then, I ignore them.

In the Lido lines on HAL, I think it is okay to step around folks who are ordering at the various stations, when there is nothing you want, as long as there is open space ahead of them which clearly indicates that the line is being held up.

One person? I can ignore that. A person with mobility restrictions? Fine by me.

A gaggle of friends and family? No--the proper course is for the gaggle to join the back of the line, and the single person to move back and join them there.

Where is that like button:confused: Totally agree:)

... IMHO there is a world of difference between (1) holding a table (in the Lido) while your companions get food/drinks and (2) holding a place in line (waiting to get served at a buffet food station or to enter a theater, for instance) for several companions, with the former being totally acceptable etiquette-wise and the latter never being acceptable etiquette-wise or otherwise ... and if you disagree, I suggest you consult my DW who has an impeccable sense of good manners and etiquette ...

Rod