Chefs Table / Prime Table

I do not know if this has been discussed, please excuse me if I missed it.

But I noted that the Chefs Table is now being Listed as Prime Table on some of the webpages. Does this mean the dedicated Chef is no more :eek:

Has anyone experienced this lately, as I was going to book, but will reconsider if the offering has been downgraded :mad:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/anthemoftheseas/dining/

Edited by ChipLondon

I do not know if this has been discussed, please excuse me if I missed it.

But I noted that the Chefs Table is now being Listed as Prime Table on some of the webpages. Does this mean the dedicated Chef is no more :eek:

Has anyone experienced this lately, as I was going to book, but will reconsider if the offering has been downgraded :mad:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/anthemoftheseas/dining/

I attended the Chef's Table on Oasis early in 2014. I enjoyed the occasion and ceremony more than the food, which was very good but not fantastic. It was hosted by both a sous chef and a sommelier. It felt special and I look back at it with fond memories.

The Chef's Table on Quantum in February this year was nothing in comparison. It was held in a private room adjoining Chops. The host was a waiter who explained both the food and the wine. No chef or sous chef was present. Other than the steak, the food was unexceptional.

The wine offerings on both occasions were very meagre and limited to one small glass of each and no top-ups offered. I have no desire to repeat the experience with Royal Caribbean unless I hear of major improvements.

In the week prior to Quantum, I had attended the Chef's Table on NCL's Getaway. That was in a completely different league from both my Oasis and Quantum experiences. The Executive Chef was in attendance throughout the event, which lasted well over three hours. I could not find fault with the food. The menu was more elaborate and there were more courses. Everything served was spot on and truly delicious. Wine glasses were topped up repeatedly during each course. We were then invited to repair to the lounge for coffee and liqueuers...

The hospitality was lavish and everyone was made to feel they had attended a special event. I would always in the future aim to attend the Chef's Table when on NCL ships, who offer it only on one night of the cruise; and limited to a total of 12 to 14 passengers. It was a little more expensive at $99, but well and truly worth it; and unforgettable.

If you would like to have a look at the menu and food, it starts at post 332 on this page of my review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2171334&page=17

Regards

megacruiser

We have literally just booked the "Chefs Table" on Anthem for the 3 day cruise at the end of April. It was still being advertised as this on the booking page which is different to the link provided.

Will be interesting to see what it is like.

The dress code is formal but how formal are they, should I get number one tiara or number two out of the safe? seriously though should I pack a formal gown or just a cocktail dress and do men were lounge suits or tux / kilt etc.

I attended the Chef's Table on Oasis early in 2014. I enjoyed the occasion and ceremony more than the food, which was very good but not fantastic. It was hosted by both a sous chef and a sommelier. It felt special and I look back at it with fond memories.

The Chef's Table on Quantum in February this year was nothing in comparison. It was held in a private room adjoining Chops. The host was a waiter who explained both the food and the wine. No chef or sous chef was present. Other than the steak, the food was unexceptional.

The wine offerings on both occasions were very meagre and limited to one small glass of each and no top-ups offered. I have no desire to repeat the experience with Royal Caribbean unless I hear of major improvements.

In the week prior to Quantum, I had attended the Chef's Table on NCL's Getaway. That was in a completely different league from both my Oasis and Quantum experiences. The Executive Chef was in attendance throughout the event, which lasted well over three hours. I could not find fault with the food. The menu was more elaborate and there were more courses. Everything served was spot on and truly delicious. Wine glasses were topped up repeatedly during each course. We were then invited to repair to the lounge for coffee and liqueuers...

The hospitality was lavish and everyone was made to feel they had attended a special event. I would always in the future aim to attend the Chef's Table when on NCL ships, who offer it only on one night of the cruise; and limited to a total of 12 to 14 passengers. It was a little more expensive at $99, but well and truly worth it; and unforgettable.

If you would like to have a look at the menu and food, it starts at post 332 on this page of my review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2171334&page=17

Regards

megacruiser

I have to agree with you here. It's all about the experience and not so much about the food.

I've done chef's table 3 times. Last year on Vision and Brilliance and most recently last week on Majesty. All 3 times, it was the exact same menu. Different wines though. All wines I found later in my local Whole Foods.

Thanks for Sles23 for posting the latest Quantum menus.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2193324

This pic below was labeled Prime Table. At the very top it says five-course, upgraded steakhouse menu and wine tasting.

When I look at dining for Anthem the description below is shown as "Chef's Table".

If you enjoy gourmet fare paired with the finest of wines, than dining at Chef's Table is an absolute must. Located in an intimate, exclusive enclave within Chops Grille, this private epicurean experience for up to 16 people treats you to a five-course, upgraded steakhouse menu and wine tasting.

A sommelier pairs every course with wine chosen to enhance your enjoyment of the dish.

Further down on the page.....under Insider Tips it says.......Feel free to ask questions — that's why our Chef and Sommelier are there!

I guess time will tell if it's a true Chef's Table or the new Prime Table.....

Capt%20Table_zpshprjn2av.jpg

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Regards

megacruiser

Agreed! We have reserved the Chef's Table on several different ships and loved the experience. I would not bother if it were anything less than what we've already enjoyed. After reading a previous post regarding the NCL experience, it's just one more reason to try NCL!

This pic below was labeled Prime Table. At the very top it says five-course, upgraded steakhouse menu and wine tasting.

When I look at dining for Anthem the description below is shown as "Chef's Table".

If you enjoy gourmet fare paired with the finest of wines, than dining at Chef's Table is an absolute must. Located in an intimate, exclusive enclave within Chops Grille, this private epicurean experience for up to 16 people treats you to a five-course, upgraded steakhouse menu and wine tasting.

A sommelier pairs every course with wine chosen to enhance your enjoyment of the dish.

Further down on the page.....under Insider Tips it says.......Feel free to ask questions — that's why our Chef and Sommelier are there!

If those are the wines they will serve, it's a huge step up from the mediocre selection we've encountered at our last 2 Chef's Tables, on Rhapsody and Serenade.

Although I've only sailed on Royal twice (Allure) the Chef's Table has been my favorite experience. I truly enjoyed the food/wine pairings each time. The key is how well the wine complements the food and vice versa. The higher end wine is great, but it must enhance the food. I am not a fan of Cakebread Chardonnay, but with the right food it was phenomenal and I felt the same way about the Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc. We loved our wine sommelier Rudy. Prime Table sounds fantastic, but I don't know if I will ever get the opportunity to be on a Quantum class ship.

We have had great experiences on various ships, of course the quality of Food and the paired wine are very important. Although we feel that the personalities of the service team also contribute to the enjoyment of the evening.

I feel as if the Chef aspect is to be removed that will lessen the whole experience, and is less likely to be worth the higher premium paid. :mad:

• 1 month later...

We have just returned from a b2b on Radiance in Alaska. We did the Chef's Table. We were very disappointed in the cheap wine they served and the food. Wouldn't recommend it and we won't repeat it. The venue is awesome however, as was the table setting.

As mentioned above we did the chefs table on the Anthem but I did not get round to posting about it.

It was dire and a complete waste of money. The service was slow with only one person as waiter, sommelier and host. We were there an hour before the first course even came and the whole event took just under 4 hours in total which was due to massive gaps between courses.

The food was poor, one course was just a plate of "heritage" tomatoes with some basic dressing, a five year old could have produced it. The pea soup was fine but again nothing special, pasta a bit better, lobster and beef adequate and pudding just a mess on a plate To be honest there was nothing served that I or any other reasonable home cook could not have produced.

The wine was nothing special either and served at the wrong tempreture, some of the whites were so cold they were tastless.

All in all I would not recommend it.

We just sailed on Vision & Splendour in the last three weeks... Vision's chef's table was 10/10... The good was absolutely out of this world- every staff member was brilliant too. We could ask for top ups re our drinks.

On Splendour, it was more formal, but IN the MDR just with partitions up, (nice ones, but still not a secluded room), & our host wasn't as funny or chatty as Maxi on Vision, BUT, our glasses were never empty. The good was amazing again, at least 9/10 but they had to bring it from the kitchen down stairs so it wasn't as hot.

The updated dining guide confirms they do not plan to have the Chef's Table on Oasis or Harmony. They will maintain the Chef's Table on Allure at this time.

It is unclear if they will add Chef's Table to Jewel at her dry dock.

Prime Table appears to be the venue present on all 3 Quantum Class ships.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/statichtmlpage.do?pagename=brochure_dining_guide_options

We've just done chefs table (or prime table as it's been rebranded) on Anthem, and it was superb. Again only 1 person doing all 3 roles (Chilli (sp) who was fantastic). There was only 8 on our table so that probably helped. Pace was good, glasses never empty, and the food to die for.

I wanted to book again but DW wanted to try Chops, which was also fantastic.

• 1 year later...

This is the menu we had for the Chef's Table last week on board Liberty of the Seas. The event was advertised as having food presented by the Chef de Cuisine -- it wasn't. A Sous Chef did the presentation. It also wasn't in a lavish dining room. Instead they did it in The Windjammer. The food and wine was delicious, but I did feel underwhelmed in the buffet seating environment, and a Chef de Cuisine was promised.

Glad to see your reviews. We were debating on doing 2 nights at 150 Central Park or 1 at 150 and Chef's Table for during upcoming Allure cruise. I thought the menu looked a bit underwhelming and am sorry to read your experiences have been as well.

This is the menu we had for the Chef's Table last week on board Liberty of the Seas. The event was advertised as having food presented by the Chef de Cuisine -- it wasn't. A Sous Chef did the presentation. It also wasn't in a lavish dining room. Instead they did it in The Windjammer. The food and wine was delicious, but I did feel underwhelmed in the buffet seating environment, and a Chef de Cuisine was promised.

Did you have the same wines? When we went (on Oasis) in January 2016, they had downgraded the selection. We were back onboard in October and I asked if they had reintroduced the Caymus and the CT host said no - his budget only goes to $80/bottle, and, with the recent increases in wine prices onboard, he can't afford the top wines any more.:(

That was the same food menu we had on last year's Serenade (February)

and last month's Rhapsody. Both were very good, but this wine list is

different. Not sure why they have two Chards on it though. Not very

creative there I should think.

Was not impressed with the wine pairings at both of those venues in the past,

especially...White Zinfandel??!! :eek: :rolleyes:

That being said, we still thought the whole evening and the food were wonderful and

a fun experience. We love doing Chef's table. Will miss the Chef's

great narration if they are changing it out. :(

Edited by island lady

I have done the Chef's Table 3 times. The first time was on the Serenade about 8 years ago. It was in Chops, I think, and everything, food, wine, pairings, was top notch!

A few years later we did one on the Liberty and it was also excellent. It was in the wine bar if I remember correctly.

Last year we did one on the Oasis up in the Coastal Kitchen. The setting was nice but the menu was just OK. It is the same menu that has been posted on this thread. I thought a few of the pairings were really off. The wine selections were nice but did not go well with what they were paired with.

I would not do it again unless I was able to review the menu and pairings ahead of time.

I have done the Chef's Table 3 times. The first time was on the Serenade about 8 years ago. It was in Chops, I think, and everything, food, wine, pairings, was top notch!

A few years later we did one on the Liberty and it was also excellent. It was in the wine bar if I remember correctly.

Last year we did one on the Oasis up in the Coastal Kitchen. The setting was nice but the menu was just OK. It is the same menu that has been posted on this thread. I thought a few of the pairings were really off. The wine selections were nice but did not go well with what they were paired with.

I would not do it again unless I was able to review the menu and pairings ahead of time.

On both of our last Chef's Table visits the ship had posted the wine and food

pairing menu around the ship. I just had them pour the wines I like, and skipped

the "pink koolaid". ;)