Menus at Main Dining - why no "plain" option??

If I was RC I would make this forum required reading for anyone representing my company. This is the third time RC hasn't known or worse yet gave me completely wrong information. I know some low paid phone rep in god knows where cant know everything but even if they just printed off some of the FAQs...

Does RC monitor these forums?

I believe they do. There have been postings by an "official" RCI poster, but I've not seen them respond to difficult or uncomfortable questions.

I'm glad I found this thread. My thanks to the OP for starting it.

My wife is the picky "plain" food eater in our family. She always orders from the "classic" choices and is quite happy with her meals, and if she sees something on the menu that has a sauce on it, she will usually ask for it to be left off. The waiters are accommodating to requests for changes.

Edited by JimAOk1945

I sure do not want this to come across as being mean or difficult....

but when I grew up, the answer was : "If you do not want what is on the table, then you don't eat."

And we did not have a dozen choices either.

A plain cheese pizza in the main dining room of a cruise ship? Sorry, this isn't a WalMart cafeteria. The day I see that on the menu of the MDR is the day I quit cruising. What's next, requesting a plain hot dog on a stick? When people start accepting this as a MDR item we're all screwed because of them. Don't give the cruise lines any cheap stupid ideas.

Next cruise I'm going to the MDR every breakfast, lunch and dinner and ordering nothing but cheese pizzas - then ordering seconds. :eek:

but when I grew up, the answer was : "If you do not want what is on the table, then you don't eat."

Exactly my thoughts!

There is definitely nothing wrong with enforcing that kind of policy in a person's home! But it's nice to be able to actually eat something you LIKE when you're on vacation at what is essentially a restaurant instead ofhaving to settle for eating something that might not actually be something you like, because it's the least bad thing on the menu to you...

There are as many different acquired "tastes" for food as there are passengers. Fortunately, there are many options available on cruise ships. For example, I enjoy escargot and foie gras. Many people do not.

Since we are all paying for our cruise, we can all order what we enjoy eating.

Not sure what ship you are sailing since there is Allure, Adventure and Anthem, but there is plain pasta available every night. There is pizza available on the kids menu in the MDR that can be ordered by anyone, there is a plain chicken dish. If you have picky eaters, ask the waiter if they can bring what you are looking for, they can get pretty much anything, within reason.

On the alternate side of the menu - plain broiled fish, chicken, steak Ask for main without sauce if that is your problem. Have seen basic pork chops, chicken, mac and cheese in Windjammer. Also plain cooked vegetables, salad ingredients without dressing. In MDR plain roast turkey usually appears once - ask for no gravy.

Yeah we had some of that in my house when I was a kid too, not exactly fond memories that I'm looking to duplicate on vacation. :cool: Luckily now I'm all grown up with my own money and get to eat food I actually enjoy. :cool:

Edited by BamaGuy44

We are not fancy eaters either.

Not everyone is a foodie but we don't want to go on the ship to eat in the WJ every night either. So, to offer some plain items on the menu is being to fair to all.

So, we order from the menu and sometimes have them leave some sauces or things off the plate. They will grill a chicken breast etc. plain for you too if you ask.

We also order a plate of steamed vegetables as very often there are only 2 thin strips of a carrot etc.:D So, this gets us our veggies we like to have.

We both have problems with spicy food and gluten and lactose, so to say eat what is in front of you does not apply here!! We chose a vacation to enjoy ourselves, not to feel ill..........

Not everyone is blessed with a great digestive system, with the ability to eat everything and have it agree with them as well!!!!

Have a fun cruise and probably you will be pleasantly surprised at finding plain food after all.

Edited by CVU

There could be described several types of fussy eaters:

(1) likes a very simply made chicken or pasta dish or steak with little sauce and seasoning; simple salads and limited choice of dressing, even as simple as a lettuce wedge with a slice of tomato and cucumber (if that) -- these are just examples to make a point, please understand (I have plenty of friends like this)

or

(2) a diner that like all the seasonings they can get, the hotter and spicier the better; all the new tastes they can muster, and determine what they like or not and if not 'order something else' -- and they are very willing to be adventurous -- ( this is me, as a diner)

or

(3) a diner who simply has dietary needs for health or other reasons -- we all know people who fit this as well.

or

(4) someone else, I have not described.

My point is --- the above fits everyone on board, and the wait staff in the MDR will work with you. Just let them know what you want and they will work to have you have it.

You don't have to got to a specialty restaurant to get it, and pay even more.

I think they try to make the choices listed on the menu "interesting" and I think while there is absolutely nothing wrong with cheese pizza or plain pasta (I eat and enjoy both myself), everyone knows exactly what they are and , thus, they are not very intriguing or "interesting". As others have said, just ask for what you would like, and you will likely get it in the MDR. They really do try to please (this has been my experience, anyway). Happy cruising and eating!:)

Hi

Now why couldn't the RC rep had told me this? Isn't it there job to be informed.

We would like to think that, but RC's customer service is rather well known for being inconsistent with their answers.

This is a vacation - not a prison.

Here are some resources for you that might help...

http://www.pickyeatingadults.com/peamasterbackup06112013_004.htm

This is treatable, and it's possible for people with this condition to eventually enjoy regular food.

I am a very selective eater, by choice,and it is not a "condition" I want "treated." I eat only what I want and the bulk or that is organic and healthful "regular" food. At 54, I am 5'2", 105 pounds and in excellent health, largely due to diet and exercise.

There are super tasters, of which I am one. There is hard science behind being a super taster: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/articles/senses/supertaster.shtml

Edited by Bookish Angel

We are on the AofS soon. Someone kindly posted a probable menu. Looks great to me but not so much to the rest of my family. I called and RC rep told me only options at Main Dining are things like surf and turf for an up charge. He suggested going somewhere else if nothing looks good. Ya buffet!! Would it kill RC to offer some plain pasta or a cheese pizza as alacarte items?? Not a lot of dining options on A of S. Oh well. Guess my issue for a family of picky eaters. Just sort of makes me feel ripped off to not realy be able to enjoy the whole experience. I'm sure we will not loose too much weight though :D

My daughter as well. She would be happy if they would just serve her pasta, with some olive oil. Needless to say, we typically eat in the Windjammer every night.

Hi

It's the Adventure. Glad to know that plain options can be had in the MDR! Now why couldn't the RC rep had told me this? Isn't it there job to be informed. Thanks god you all are around. .

some of the reps that work at the cruiselines never even been on a cruise

do NOT ever put 100% faith in a person just because they work there

And that was fine in your house growing up....but when it is someone vacation and they are paying for the accommodations and everything that comes with it....that isn't fine.

I'm a very picky eater - I do not like any seafood, salad, deli meats....heck, I'm Italian and don't even like cheese!:eek:

But I can usually find something on any menu (a spring roll, a steak with baked potato, a grilled chicken breast with broccoli). If not, I'll just go up to the buffet that night and skip dinner.

Some people have a very simple palette; while others enjoy trying all sorts of new things. To each his own.

I am a very selective eater, by choice,and it is not a "condition" I want "treated." ...

There are super tasters, of which I am one.

Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID) is recognized by the medical community and is listed in the DSM. There are treatments available. It is not related to being a super-taster. Obviously, not everyone wants treatment, but it's nice to know that there are options available for those that wish to be able to order off a regular menu.

I'm a very picky eater - I do not like any seafood, salad, deli meats....heck, I'm Italian and don't even like cheese!:eek:

But I can usually find something on any menu (a spring roll, a steak with baked potato, a grilled chicken breast with broccoli). If not, I'll just go up to the buffet that night and skip dinner.

Some people have a very simple palette; while others enjoy trying all sorts of new things. To each his own.

And every cruiser regardless of how picky they are should be accommodated in the MDR, unless the cruiser is unreasonable (eg -- items that the ship, just doesn't have on board)

I'll probably get flamed for this but here goes anyway.....if your taste is so restrictive that you can't find anything you like on a MDR menu (and you don't want to eat on the buffet) then perhaps cruising isn't for you. The cruise lines accommodate as many passenger tastes as possible with their menu and in most cases, have something to please most palates and dietary restrictions.