MDR - room service, ordering and delivery

We are getting excited about our cruise to Bermuda. On our Celebrity cruise, hubby and I went to formal night. On this cruise, I promised I would not force him to robe in dressy attire for the fancy night. Instead, we will either go to Lido Deck or order room service. It is my understanding we can order MDR food to our cabin on the nights we would like to to stay in. I have read we should order between 5-5:30, ship time, but can we specify a time we would like it delivered? On the first formal night, we will do a few hours in the spa, so we are thinking about 8:00 PM, delivery. Can we do this? Thank you for any information!

I have read we should order between 5-5:30, ship time, but can we specify a time we would like it delivered? On the first formal night, we will do a few hours in the spa, so we are thinking about 8:00 PM, delivery. Can we do this? Thank you for any information!

You can order during regular MDR meal hours and have it delivered when you wish during regular meal hours. Having dinner on your verandah is a nice touch to a cruise.

Minimum attire for Formal Night is just a jacket and tie with shoes not mentioned. Some wear their hiking shoes to save luggage space.

You can order during regular MDR meal hours and have it delivered when you wish during regular meal hours. Having dinner on your verandah is a nice touch to a cruise.

Minimum attire for Formal Night is just a jacket and tie with shoes not mentioned. Some wear their hiking shoes to save luggage space.

That's what I do, I have a pair of Black Leather walking shoes that do double duty for diner.

Not perfect but they do the job on most lines.

We elected to do just what you are planning: we ordered from the MDR menu and ate on our balcony for formal nights.

Room service will deliver a menu to your room if you call them. The food arrived on time, hot, and beautifully presented. We very much enjoyed the experience.

We do travel with our formal clothes but sometimes don't want to deal with the drama in the MDR on formal nights. We just want the food.

How wonderful that you can order from the regular menu for dinner and have room service .... great idea.

We love room service. Besides an occasional dinner, we get room service breakfast on mornings we have an early excursion. This way we can continue to get ready for the day while having breakfast.

They will even deliver breakfast on the last morning, something Celebrity doesn't do (I don't know about other cruise lines). When we found out the MDR and Lido would stop serving breakfast at 8:00 and we weren't due to disembark until 9:30, we chose to have room service our last morning aboard. Very relaxing! Our stewards asked if they could come in and change the bed linens while we ate, that was fine with us. We know they have a lot to do that last morning.

We elected to do just what you are planning: we ordered from the MDR menu and ate on our balcony for formal nights.

Room service will deliver a menu to your room if you call them. The food arrived on time, hot, and beautifully presented. We very much enjoyed the experience.

We do travel with our formal clothes but sometimes don't want to deal with the drama in the MDR on formal nights. We just want the food.

We have ordered also and really enjoyed it. Like you, the food arrived hot and we were able to take our time and enjoy the view from our balcony. It was quiet, romantic and for us, the perfect example of what it means to be on the ship. Looking out at the ocean while you enjoy good food and great company is the absolute best.

Thank you so much for all the information. Celebrity kicks you off the boat on the final day, but being able to get breakfast for the last time puts a perfectly formed bow on your hard earned vacation. I was unaware of this benefit while cruising HAL, but this small detail will makes us so more likely to book another cruise with HAL in the future.

Thank you so much for all the information. Celebrity kicks you off the boat on the final day, but being able to get breakfast for the last time puts a perfectly formed bow on your hard earned vacation. I was unaware of this benefit while cruising HAL, but this small detail will makes us so more likely to book another cruise with HAL in the future.

HAL will let you choose what time you would like to disembark so unless you are dashing to catch a flight, you can stay in your stateroom until it is time for you to go.

A relaxing Room Service breakfast on your verandah and leaving the ship at 9:00 - 9:30 AM makes a nice ending to a cruise.

Here is the Room Service card that you hang on your door each evening:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Room-Service-Breakfast.pdf

You can order as much as you wish and feel free to write-in anything off the regular Lido Restaurant Breakfast (below) menu (you just might get it):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Lido-Breakfast-Menu.pdf

Edited by Crew News

How wonderful that you can order from the regular menu for dinner and have room service .... great idea.

It must be pointed out that you can order whatever you want from the MDR menu. That means four soups, two salads, three entrees, four desserts, etc.

The second Formal Night on most HAL cruises offers surf-and-turf on the MDR menu. I order three lobster tails and ask the beef to not be served. Having a chilled lobster tail in a plastic bag in your minibar makes for a great late-night snack.

Pick up some asorted cheese in the Lido Restaurant and keep it in a plastic bag in your minibar for another late-night snack. Add an extra yoghurt carton from breakfast to your minibar, too.

Packing tip: Bring some plastic bags to hold snacks.

Of course maintaining a plate of chocolate chip cookies on your stateroom desk is a real must.

Here is a Second Formal Night menu example (follows the Lido Restaurant Casual Dinner menu) that we had in the Caribbean last December:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/EC-2015-Day-06-A.pdf

Edited by Crew News

It must be pointed out that you can order whatever you want from the MDR menu. That means four soups, two salads, three entrees, four desserts, etc.

Great point. I distinctly remember being asked "how many" shrimp cocktails we wanted and how many lobster tails and steaks.

When we did the 17-day cruise to Hawaii in 2013 we only did formal night once. The other times I would go down to the MDR ahead of dinner and photo the menu. I would then go back to our room and share the selections with my wife for the evening. We then would call room service and let them know what we wanting and at what time. This summer we are cruising to Alaska and will not be attending any of the formal nights.

Drama? I've NEVER seen "drama" in the MDR at dinner...it's a meal!

If you plan to keep a plate of cookies on your desk, as suggested above, use the provided shower cap to cover the plate. Uncovered food makes me uneasy. Never know what it will attract. :D :eek: