Guarantee Clarification

Thrak

The "choose for me option" can give you one of two results. The first is an immediate cabin assignment--supposedly the most desirable available cabin in the chosen category. The second possibility is a guarantee--when there may not be any cabins in that category showing up at that time. It doesn't mean that you will automatically be upgraded to a better category. You'll get a cabin assignment to that category or higher any time between then and the morning of sailing.

Exactly.. the guarantee option only shows when their's no available cabins at that moment in that specific category

Srpilo

Exactly.. the guarantee option only shows when their's no available cabins at that moment in that specific category

Please see attached for a case where both are available.

I think guarantee shows when princess wants it to show

-- like when some yield management algorithm says that

they will sell more cabins overall if they offer a guarantee.

Guarantee.jpg.855631aa9df9703279aefdddd5a7ec0b.jpg

One thing I found odd is that I just did a mock booking for the Baltic Sea Cruise and the Choose For Me booking started from the same exact price as the "Choose My Own" option. If they both cost exactly the same, what is the point of letting them choose for you? I thought the Choose For Me would be slightly cheaper considering you probably get the leftovers. Anyone know what is up with this?

• 1 month later...
One thing I found odd is that I just did a mock booking for the Baltic Sea Cruise and the Choose For Me booking started from the same exact price as the "Choose My Own" option. If they both cost exactly the same, what is the point of letting them choose for you? I thought the Choose For Me would be slightly cheaper considering you probably get the leftovers. Anyone know what is up with this?

That's fairly common, in fact guarantees are often higher priced (Carnival), because of the chance for a upgrade. For example, I have done guarantees often (if the price is lower), and allways have been assigned a higher cat cabin, (usually with in cabin type). T

Many of those posting here are very familiar with cruising and know exactly what cabin they want or what area on what deck they want the cabin to be in.

But may other people really do not have a good idea of what cabin they should choose when looking at a deck map and picking a cabin at random is really their option if choosing their own. The "Choose For Me" option lets these people let the computer at Princess pick a cabin instead of them guessing what cabin they might like.

Not much different from talking to a travel agent. If the agent asks you what cabin you would like, you might have no idea so you let the agent pick one for you. You are asking the agent to "Choose For Me."

I've cruised for many years and know exactly where I want my stateroom to be located. That's why I book early so that I can make an educated choice. I also insist that my travel agent get written confirmation that I will not be involuntarily [at the last minute] 'upgraded' and moved to some other stateroom. It matters little if the 'upgraded' stateroom or suite being assigned is a higher priced accommodation. Had I wanted that stateroom I would have booked it in the first place.

I also prepay everything I can in advance. I find nothing sadder than seeing a passenger's wonderful time at sea sunk by ten pages of 'account summary'. You know, that sometimes book thick reminder of how much fun you had that's so quietly slipped under your door :eek:..

Long short is that I'm not a fan of surprises when cruising. A cruise should be a positive adventure. It should be stress free and most importantly it should be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still slightly confused. :confused:

I'm looking at a last minute booking on Dawn Princess.

If I select "I'll choose my own" then it allows me to select what area of the ship I want to be in. I'd like to be mid-aft, on one of the middle decks (9 or 10). When I select those it shows the cabin category IB and says "Your stateroom will be assigned just prior to departure?

Am I guaranteed to get a cabin mid-aft, as I have chosen, or would I get any IB category cabin on the ship? I'm concerned as there are a lot of IB cabins on deck 11 but these are directly under the swimming pools. I am a light sleeper and are concerned about noise from that area.

There are still cabins available for selection aft on decks 9 & 10. DH is not a good sailor (although we will be prepared for that with appropriate meds) so that's why I was hoping to get a cabin more midships.

Help!

When booking a GTY your room could be anywhere on the ship, not necessarily in the section where you were looking to book. Those who book specific cabins but leave themselves 'open to upgrade' also could be moved to a completely different section. If section is important, I would book a specific room and mark it 'no upgrade'. Unfortunately, that may preclude a last minute booking for many.

In your specific case, I would move to a lower deck and select either D611 (mid aft IC) OR move mid forward and select one of the three IB on 9 at the forward elevators. Motion is likely to be the same mid forward as midaft.

Edited by cherylandtk

I'm still slightly confused. :confused:

I'm looking at a last minute booking on Dawn Princess.

If I select "I'll choose my own" then it allows me to select what area of the ship I want to be in. I'd like to be mid-aft, on one of the middle decks (9 or 10). When I select those it shows the cabin category IB and says "Your stateroom will be assigned just prior to departure?

Am I guaranteed to get a cabin mid-aft, as I have chosen, or would I get any IB category cabin on the ship?

When it says it will be assigned later, it means there are no rooms to be assigned now in the selected area and you will be booking a GTY.

As others have pointed out, that means you could end up in IB or a higher category and could be placed anywhere on the ship.

If what you are assigned is not to your liking, you can call and ask if there are any other cabins available in the same category you were assigned. If there are, they will let you switch to a cabin if you find one that is in a better location in that category.

Thanks, cherylandtk and caribill, for confirming what I suspected was the case.

The Princess website is a little confusing in the way it works, as it implies that the cabin that will be assigned just prior to departure will be in the area of the ship that was selected.

We're still debating over trying the IB guarantee or picking an ID which are the highest cabin category still available for actual cabin selection. That IC cabin, D611, that you recommended, cherylandtk, is not available, and I don't think us folk down here in Australia get that option to change a guarantee assignment.

It's a tossup between taking an IB guarantee with the risk of a noisy cabin in that category but that would be midships, but with the remote possibility of an upgrade which could be anywhere in the ship, or picking a ID cabin aft which may not suit DH. Hmmm

It really is a very last minute booking - most of the interior categories are GTYs now - and, to add to the frustration, I can't book anything until tomorrow probably. We'd really like to do this itinerary if we can. Talk about treading a thin wire ;)

So far I haven't found a decent local TA. I've used a couple of online TAs. In this case the price is significantly cheaper booking directly with Princess when I'm logged in to the Princess site.

Thanks, cherylandtk and caribill, for confirming what I suspected was the case.

The Princess website is a little confusing in the way it works, as it implies that the cabin that will be assigned just prior to departure will be in the area of the ship that was selected.

We're still debating over trying the IB guarantee or picking an ID which are the highest cabin category still available for actual cabin selection. That IC cabin, D611, that you recommended, cherylandtk, is not available, and I don't think us folk down here in Australia get that option to change a guarantee assignment.

It's a tossup between taking an IB guarantee with the risk of a noisy cabin in that category but that would be midships, but with the remote possibility of an upgrade which could be anywhere in the ship, or picking a ID cabin aft which may not suit DH. Hmmm

It really is a very last minute booking - most of the interior categories are GTYs now - and, to add to the frustration, I can't book anything until tomorrow probably. We'd really like to do this itinerary if we can. Talk about treading a thin wire ;)

Will you still be happy cruising if the cabin is suboptimal? I hope so,as you really seem to want to be on the ship.

If you do wish to book this last minute cruise and if the location of the ID cabin you can pick does not appeal to your party, perhaps just roll the dice with a gty. Good luck.

I thought this would be a thread that started, got a quick answer, and then died. Foolish me! :D

I have another query in the same vein as the one I originally posted. I booked a cabin in the IF category. In theory the "worst" category on the ship. (Oddly enough the cabin right next door is a IC category...) There are only 3 of this category cabin on the ship. Those three cabins sold out quickly. Now Princess is offering that category as a gty.

Query: Who do you think is more likely to receive an upgrade - the person who actually booked the cabin or someone who booked the same cabin/category/price point later as a gty?

Will you still be happy cruising if the cabin is suboptimal? I hope so,as you really seem to want to be on the ship.

If you do wish to book this last minute cruise and if the location of the ID cabin you can pick does not appeal to your party, perhaps just roll the dice with a gty. Good luck.

Yes, we will still be happy regardless. I'll pack earplugs and seasickness meds just in case. Obviously we'd like to optimise the experience but, hey, it's a cruise at a very good price. :D

Besides we're still learning what works for us and what doesn't so trying different options allows us to refine our requirements for future cruises.

I thought this would be a thread that started, got a quick answer, and then died. Foolish me! :D

I have another query in the same vein as the one I originally posted. I booked a cabin in the IF category. In theory the "worst" category on the ship. (Oddly enough the cabin right next door is a IC category...) There are only 3 of this category cabin on the ship. Those three cabins sold out quickly. Now Princess is offering that category as a gty.

Query: Who do you think is more likely to receive an upgrade - the person who actually booked the cabin or someone who booked the same cabin/category/price point later as a gty?

Sorry, Thrak, mea culpa :p, but this thread does have some useful info so it seemed better to use it than start yet another thread.

And I'm interested in the answer to your query too ;)

...The Princess website is a little confusing in the way it works, as it implies that the cabin that will be assigned just prior to departure will be in the area of the ship that was selected...

I agree that this is what is implied; Princess should make this a bit clearer.

...Query: Who do you think is more likely to receive an upgrade - the person who actually booked the cabin or someone who booked the same cabin/category/price point later as a gty?

Good question. The real unknown in this is whether any or all of those booked in those cabins marked their bookings "no upgrade" for whatever reason. Or perhaps they are actually unassigned and just being blocked until Princess sees how their guarantee and upsell #s end up for the cruise?

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
spelling

I agree that this is what is implied; Princess should make this a bit clearer.

Yes, we booked a guarantee inside for our Rhapsody cruise and the only choice we had for insides was a guarantee, whereas Princess allows you to select a zone on the ship before coming back with a "guarantee" option but they don't call it that.

Not that I'm particularly worried. We're very tempted to take the guarantee just for the fun of it. ;) There is that 0.0000000001% chance we could get an upgrade :D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Seems that only time we have received an upgrade was by booking a guaranteed cabin. What I have experienced is once we have a cabin number . . . that's it . . that is our cabin and it doesn't change . . . but that could be that we just haven't had upgrade fairy dust sprinkled on us! Grin!

Yes, we will still be happy regardless. I'll pack earplugs and seasickness meds just in case. Obviously we'd like to optimise the experience but, hey, it's a cruise at a very good price. :D

Besides we're still learning what works for us and what doesn't so trying different options allows us to refine our requirements for future cruises.

Yes, we booked a guarantee inside for our Rhapsody cruise and the only choice we had for insides was a guarantee, whereas Princess allows you to select a zone on the ship before coming back with a "guarantee" option but they don't call it that.

Not that I'm particularly worried. We're very tempted to take the guarantee just for the fun of it. ;) There is that 0.0000000001% chance we could get an upgrade :D

As you can be happy regardless of cabin location, if the location of shown cabins does not strike your fancy, then I'd also tend to try the gty.

I have done gty on multiple times on multiple cruise lines. In fact I am currently awaiting an assignment for OC gty for Star 6/27. As long as one is flexible and happy just being on board, gty works out fine, especially for last minute cruises with little remaining cabin choice. Earplugs are always a good idea; even if the cabin location isn't inherently noisy, there can be a noisy neighbor anywhere. Good luck and enjoy the cruise wherever your cabin may be.

Edited by Starry Eyes